fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

PlayStation Network Update

+ Posted by Sid Shuman on Aug 24, 2014 // Senior Manager, Social Media

Like other major networks around the world, the PlayStation Network and Sony Entertainment Network have been impacted by an attempt to overwhelm our network with artificially high traffic.

Although this has impacted your ability to access our network and enjoy our services, no personal information has been accessed.

We will continue to work towards fixing this issue and hope to have our services up and running as soon as possible.

We regret any inconvenience this may have caused.

Source: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/08/24/playstation-network-update-2/

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'd like to think Lizard Squad are doing this to get Knack as a welcome back present.

yukoasho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Well, I was able to get on and sync trophies at least. Though who knows how long it will stay up...

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@corruptedevil said:

@rotnac said:

@glottery said:

https://twitter.com/LizardSquad/status/503488179651878912

First figured my PS4 was breaking down, since I couldn't get past profile selection and finally ended up booting it in safe mode and reseting all of my settings. Now my guess is that it was just stuck on a infinite loading loop since I've got auto log-in for PSN and would've stayed there for good 10 minutes before maybe letting me in and informing that PSN Network has caused an error or some such.

And now if that above thing is true, I just wasted my time because of some douchebag messing up PSN. You sure showed that Sony! I personally can't remember the last day I would've had trouble logging to PSN, except maybe at some point during Store update days, which shouldn't surprise anyone if that happens.

It's fucking stupid and there's apparently no legal action, or a way to prevent attacks, that companies can take towards people that do this sort of thing "for the lulz". These Lizard Squad scumbags were DDOSing the NA Battle.net servers all of last night just to troll a couple of Twitch steamers. It was nearly impossible to play any Hearthstone or Diablo 3 and WoW servers we're also affected. What they're doing is on the same levels of stupidity as Stewart from MadTV saying "Look what I can do!"

So that's why Bnet was freaking the fuck out when I was trying to download D3. How is it fun to do this?

They've repeatedly DDOSed EVE Onine, as well, in the past few days.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My mom's co-workers are sitting on that plane as the feds are going through it, she happened to get on a later flight. These guys are fucked after this

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

Jesus I go and watch Captain America: The Winter Solider, come back and this has all turned horrible!

John Smedley's probably in a secure location until Lizard Squad is hunted down.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@wolfgame said:

Are there any options to make purchases on PSN right now, I think this weekend deal on 10$ games ends tomorrow. Am I just gonna miss out if they don't sort this DDOS business out?

I wouldn't recommend purchasing anything for a while regardless of when it goes up. Better to be safe than sorry.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Well, this escalated quickly.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolfgame said:

Are there any options to make purchases on PSN right now, I think this weekend deal on 10$ games ends tomorrow. Am I just gonna miss out if they don't sort this DDOS business out?

I wouldn't recommend purchasing anything for a while regardless of when it goes up. Better to be safe than sorry.

DDOS does not mean they have any access to the server, it's just artificially creating traffic through normal channels.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spraynardtatum said:

@wolfgame said:

DDOS does not mean they have any access to the server, it's just artificially creating traffic through normal channels.

Still, I think it would be smart to give it some time. Definitely wouldn't hurt anything.

EuanDewar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I was starting to get bummed that I couldn't download and try out Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth liked I wanted to, then I realised it's not actually on PSN.

So now I'm just doubly bummed out.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5619720a117
deactivated-5e5619720a117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I was playing Dark Souls 2 last night when it went out...this sucks.

DukesT3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thank god I wasn't the only one last night, I thought something broke. Still fucked up from these hacker groups.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#65  Edited By Hunter5024

Sure hope they go to jail.

AcidBrandon18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was hoping to go through some dungeons in Diablo 3 with some people tonight, but I guess that won't be happening. Then again I'm running a Hardcore character and no one ever joins anyways.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is pretty fucked up. It'll be funny when whatever little shit is running the Twitter account gets picked up for the federal offense of reporting false bomb scares.

That's a huge crime. Like, a very serious crime. The Feds will really go nuts on that. Also, I don't think I understand why someone would attack PSN. They don't have "pools of cash" or whatever. Sony is hemorrhaging cash in a lot of different departments.

Avatar image for vincentvendetta
VincentVendetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#68  Edited By VincentVendetta

DDoS was something, but with that bomb threat they made... yeah they're fucked. They're going to jail. It's something to screw up an online service, but a death threat...

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So these guys have effectively landed themselves a prison sentence so they can impress 4chan for fighting a cause which appears to be absolutely nothing, this shows you that whilst the internet is great for spreading the word and fighting for noble causes it's also a place full of little prats trying to feel like are doing something important in their life. They could've effectively handicapped their future with this 'important', well thought out and noble act of anarchy.... hope it was worth it.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Basm321

I just want to play diablo 3 online while listening to a podcast. Damn you lizard men!

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@electricboogaloo: Wow, yeah, these kids are fucked. I guess that's what happens when you think you're safe behind the Internet.

Avatar image for thebluthcompany
TheBluthCompany

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@basm321: I wanted to do the same! Lizard men ruin everything.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's hard to argue that there are beautiful places on the internet when the shit that's piled up this past week is so overt.
It's hard to argue that there are beautiful places on the internet when the shit that's piled up this past week is so overt.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They just took X Box Live down as well.

TruthTellah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, it appears they are targeting Xbox Live at the moment, as well. Seems like they want to go big before going down.

impartialgecko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#77  Edited By impartialgecko

Well this went from dumb to fucking reprehensible pretty quickly didn't it?

What's the betting that they're targeting Sony because Sony's an easy target? I'd say Microsoft would be able to return the favour and then some. You have to marvel at these people when they garner a huge amount of shit from satisfied customers. Sony raised a paywall and launched a new console in between the 2011 hack and now, I think the majority of people with PS4's appreciate PS+ more than they did vanilla PSN back in 2011.

SomberOwl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I want to do is play Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare. Has anyone played this? It's actually really fun.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adam1808 said:

What's the betting that they're targeting Sony because Sony's an easy target? I'd say Microsoft would be able to return the favour and then some.

Uh, Xbox Live is down too now. Microsoft doesn't have any techno-wizardry that these guys are afraid of.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By Corevi
@adam1808 said:

What's the betting that they're targeting Sony because Sony's an easy target? I'd say Microsoft would be able to return the favour and then some.

They just DDOS'd XBL as well.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lots of things have been brought down from PSN to Battle.net to LoL server to XBox Live.

Cirdain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82  Edited By Cirdain

@somberowl said:

All I want to do is play Plants Vs Zombies: Garden Warfare. Has anyone played this? It's actually really fun.

I've been hearing a lot people say that. Expecially twitter comments to the PlayStation support account. I remember it looking fun and happy. Sad that Lizard Squad are actively taking away our hugs :'(

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It is sort of disturbing how evidently easy it is to bring all these services to their knees. Though I know that's nothing new, seeing it demonstrated is always a sad reminder of exactly how fragile they are.

Mcfart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adam1808 said:

Uh, Xbox Live is down too now. Microsoft doesn't have any techno-wizardry that these guys are afraid of.

I think he means that money is no object for MS, and they'll hunt the DDOSers down to the ends of the earth if they have to.

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:

@spoonman671 said:

@adam1808 said:

I think he means that money is no object for MS, and they'll hunt the DDOSers down to the ends of the earth if they have to.

The feds are probably already after the dude (dudes?) because of the fake bomb threat and the previous attacks.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh for fuck's sake. The two things I planned to do tonight: get a bunch of Watch Dogs' online hacking done before sending it back to Gamefly tomorrow (sweet mother of crap, that mode is addictive. Finding the perfect hiding place, and having the hackee actually bump right into you unknowingly while searching... so much fun. The ensuing chase if/when you get caught is a blast, too) and play Diablo 3 while listening to some podcasts.

Basm321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thebluthcompany: when it's back up we should play diablo together while listening to podcasts and ignoring each other!

PSN: NonSequitur777

Corevi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

Oh for fuck's sake. The two things I planned to do tonight: get a bunch of Watch Dogs' online hacking done before sending it back to Gamefly tomorrow (sweet mother of crap, that mode is addictive. Finding the perfect hiding place, and having the hackee actually bump right into you unknowingly while searching... so much fun. The ensuing chase if/when you get caught is a blast, too) and play Diablo 3 while listening to some podcasts.

They are both back up now.

Avatar image for sethphotopoulos
SethPhotopoulos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

I guess the kid doesn't know they are just "IS" now.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mcfart said:

@spoonman671 said:

@adam1808 said:

The feds are probably already after the dude (dudes?) because of the fake bomb threat and the previous attacks.

Fake bomb threats are a federal offense, so regardless of the DDOS attack, the person or people responsible for this have committed a serious felony that is almost certainly being investigated right now.

In short, the the lizard people have fucked themselves.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

I'd like to think Lizard Squad are doing this to get Knack as a welcome back present.

I like your theory.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#93  Edited By conmulligan

@hailinel said:

Fake bomb threats are a federal offense, so regardless of the DDOS attack, the person or people responsible for this have committed a serious felony that is almost certainly being investigated right now.

Is there any indication that they're based in the States? If they're not, I imagine bringing them to justice will be much more difficult. The US can and has extradited people for cyber-crimes (sometimes under questionable circumstances), but even if they can identify them and get an extradition warrant together that would probably be a multi-year process.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

Is there any indication that they're based in the States? If they're not, I imagine bringing them to justice will be much more difficult. The US can and has extradited people for cyber-crimes (sometimes under questionable circumstances), but even if they can identify them and get an extradition warrant together that would probably be a multi-year process.

Well, if there's any truth to this:

Then the guy doesn't strike me as being particularly intelligent or difficult to capture.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge said:

They are both back up now.

Oh, awesome! Cheers.

ThunderSlash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96  Edited By ThunderSlash

Didn't some girl from a Nordic country get in trouble because she jokingly tweeted to an official airlines account that she was targeting them a few months back? Edit: found a link

I'm not sure if this is the same though. The guy wasn't making a threat, he was making a report.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#97  Edited By conmulligan

@hailinel said:

Well, if there's any truth to this:

Then the guy doesn't strike me as being particularly intelligent or difficult to capture.

Wow. He must be bullshitting, right? I have a hard time believing someone can be that audacious. Either way, I hope they nail these fuckers.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't some girl from a Nordic country get in trouble because she jokingly tweeted to an official airlines account that she was targeting them a few months back?

I'm not sure if this is the same though. The guy wasn't making a threat, he was making a report.

Knowingly creating a bomb scare hoax is a felony, especially if it involves grounding a plane.

alevan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@hailinel: I hope so. I took one look at his twitter feed and even without the bomb threats or the ddos attacks I never wanted to punch a random online person in the face so bad.

joshth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christ I hate this kid so much. How can any person act like this and not feel awful? I'm glad the services are back up again.