• 61 results
#1 Edited by PhilESkyline (772 posts) -

Anonymous claims it broke into the PlayStation Network and has a 50 gigabyte database of email accounts and their passwords. Ten million accounts "are at risk," says the hacker involved. The passwords appear to be encrypted, and many of the accounts published in this document appear to be from northern Europe. This still would be a great time to double-check your password security.

Source: http://kotaku.com/5935040/anonymous-claims-psn-breach-affecting-10-million-accounts

[Update] The list in question appears to be a copy of this pastebin posting from March 19.

[Update] Shane Bettenhausen, with business development at Sony Computer Entertainment America, says the claim is "totally fake."

#2 Posted by Subjugation (4715 posts) -

This nonsense better not start all over again.

#3 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

Why?

#4 Edited by EarlessShrimp (1631 posts) -

@chrismafuchris: because people are bored and stupid jerks?

#5 Posted by HadesTimes (802 posts) -

I would change my password now. Just in case. Beyond that, lets wait and see what Sony says.

#6 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Xbox fanboys

/sarcasm

#7 Posted by LikeaSsur (1487 posts) -

*Sigh* Remember when Anonymous was respectable?

Right, neither do I.

#8 Posted by Mackinder (73 posts) -

I have no idea what my PSN login information is anymore. I stopped using it after the last hacking.

#9 Posted by believer258 (11560 posts) -

Again? Fuck!

Why? What kind of sad loser do you have... nevermind, don't answer that. I already know. These people are scum. There aren't enough words in any language, neither past nor present, to properly describe how fucking sad this is.

#10 Posted by PhilESkyline (772 posts) -

My hopes are this is just a scare and that file is full of old data from their attack last year. I guess we'll see if it's real or not if PSN goes down today or tomorrow for "maintenance".

#11 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

oh yay more hacks maybe we can get free games again

#12 Posted by Animasta (14633 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura said:

oh yay more hacks maybe we can get free games again

that's the spirit

#13 Posted by PhilESkyline (772 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura: I kinda want a free month of PlayStation Plus again. I know it's wrong to look at it that way but I do lol.

#14 Posted by Marcsman (3090 posts) -

Fuck anonymous. Cyber punks

#15 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

None of my credit card information is saved on my account, but I'm changing my password (even though I did that like 2 days ago >__>).

#16 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

lol it's probably bad that my first thought was 'maybe I can get a free copy of Journey out of this.'

#17 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Oh no, oh lordy lord. 
Whatever are we gonna do? Those moron kids got a hold of something again and will never do anything with it, again. 
Deary me, how terrible it all is we're all doomed aah aah ahh etc. 

#18 Edited by JDillinger (142 posts) -
#19 Posted by stinky (1543 posts) -

@LikeaSsur said:

*Sigh* Remember when Anonymous was respectable?

Right, neither do I.

there was a time when they were warning against the dangers of scientology. i thought that was great, since then they have gone down hill.

#20 Posted by beepmachine (618 posts) -

Man, fuck anonymous.

#21 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

Hm... who are we mad at here?

• The hackers for trying (and succeeding, if these hacks are confirmed to be recent) to hack PSN;
  • or Sony (again, if these hacks are confirmed to be recent) for not learning from the previous attack and not increasing security?

If you leave the door of your house unlocked, it's not solely the burgler's fault for entering and stealing some things.

#23 Posted by mosdl (3228 posts) -

I don't think anyone has yet to have their credit card charged from the big PSN hack.

#24 Edited by Sauson (560 posts) -

lol Jesus, people are all too quick to shit their pants now when they hear "anonymous" and "hack".

It's a hoax.

#25 Posted by Pr1mus (3775 posts) -

Update in the article linked says its a hoax.

Carry on people, you'll get your free games some other time.

#26 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

@JDillinger said:

It's bullshit. Maybe Kotaku could learn how to do proper journalism sometime.

[Update] The list in question appears to be a copy of this pastebin posting from March 19.

[Update] Shane Bettenhausen, with business development at Sony Computer Entertainment America, says the claim is "totally fake."

Ok what the hell! how come Kotaku still is regarded as a legit news site when is constantly spreading false information , what a bunch of hacks.

#27 Posted by vonFlampanker (324 posts) -

"It's all psychological. You yell 'Julian Assange' everybody says 'Huh? What?' You yell 'Anonymous,' we've got a panic on our hands on the fourth of July."

#28 Posted by 71Ranchero (2671 posts) -

@zyn said:

• The hackers for trying (and succeeding, if these hacks are confirmed to be recent) to hack PSN;
  • or Sony (again, if these hacks are confirmed to be recent) for not learning from the previous attack and not increasing security?

If you leave the door of your house unlocked, it's not solely the burgler's fault for entering and stealing some things.

You are a fucking idiot.

#29 Edited by beepmachine (618 posts) -

@SoothsayerGB: You're right...I bet they're watching this now even as we speak...

Well I changed my pw and removed my credit card. I probably shouldn't have had it on there anyway to be honest.

#30 Posted by GunslingerPanda (4605 posts) -

Sweet! More free games! Hope it's InFamous 2 this time.

#31 Posted by Doppelgamer (302 posts) -

If they were really on the side of gamers as they claim, and not simply against Sony and other corporate entities, they would attack their finances, and not screw over the customers. Not surprisingly they're liars.

#32 Posted by Jams (2959 posts) -

@Atramentous said:

@zyn said:

You are a fucking idiot.

Not wearing a cast iron chastity belt? It's partly your fault for being raped.

#33 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

it's fake, update on the article.

#34 Posted by Duder_Me (307 posts) -

I'm waiting for my free games...

#35 Posted by oldenglishC (921 posts) -

@zyn said:

Actually it is solely the burglars fault.

#36 Posted by xyzygy (9867 posts) -

Right when I was starting to forget that I lost a whole bunch of trophies last year. Sigh.

#37 Edited by jozzy (2041 posts) -

@Jams said:

@Atramentous said:

@zyn said:

You are a fucking idiot.

Now, now, I do agree that a company holding your personal information has an obligation to secure it as well as they possibly can. Both analogies of the burglar and the chastity belt are kind of useless because in this case there is a middle man/third party (Sony). I am trying to think of a better analogy but it's not easy, best one I could think of is in these two examples would be:

* Hiring security to guard your house but they fall asleep and leave the door open

* Being raped because your chastity belt that they sold as secure is terrible

Still terrible, but the distinction is important here.

EDIT: Just to be clear, the thief and raper are still responsible, but the guards and chastity belt maker are going to get sued by me.

#38 Posted by Ehker (235 posts) -

Except for Giant Bomb, every game website I check for news reported on this story. All just based on a single tweet that's since been deleted.

Game journalism folks...

#39 Posted by Marcsman (3090 posts) -

@zyn said:

You really are an ass.

#40 Posted by Levio (1782 posts) -

@Jams said:

@Atramentous said:

@zyn said:

You are a fucking idiot.

Except in this case, a third party is relying on the victim to protect both parties' shared interests. Edit the analogy as you will to reflect this...

#41 Posted by GrantHeaslip (1500 posts) -

@zyn said:

That's a stupid metaphor, not to mention a shitty way of thinking. If you really want to try to equate this with home security (and you shouldn't!), a better formulation would be "if you don't fortify your house to withstand bunker busters, it's not solely the burgler's fault for using military-grade weapons to get in." PSN's metaphorical door has always been locked tight -- it's not like their server was a stock Linux install allowing anonymous SSH connections with root access. I mean, let's be serious, 99% of houses could be broken into trivially. If someone busted your window and cleared out your living room, would you really be mad at yourself for not buying fortified windows?

Sony was never incompetent at running servers -- every major site on the internet is hit with a constant barrage of sophisticated attacks. Yes, they could have done better (and presumably have improved), but one successful hack doesn't mean they're suddenly unable to be trusted.

Also, can we stop trusting Kotaku stories until they're corroborated by actual journalists?

#42 Posted by GODWASP (41 posts) -

UPDATE - Anonymous removed the tweet, so it was clearly a stupid fkin hoax!

#43 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6986 posts) -

It's fake, guys

#44 Posted by JJOR64 (18882 posts) -

Didn't Anonymous say they didn't do it last time? I doubt they would post something like that on their Twitter and brag about it. Shit is fake.

#45 Posted by jimmyfenix (3806 posts) -

@Atramentous said:

@zyn said:

You are a fucking idiot.

your my hero

#46 Posted by zyn (2591 posts) -

@GrantHeaslip said:

@zyn said:

That's a stupid metaphor, not to mention a shitty way of thinking. If you really want to try to equate this with home security (and you shouldn't!), a better formulation would be "if you don't fortify your house to withstand bunker busters, it's not solely the burgler's fault for using military-grade weapons to get in." PSN's metaphorical door has always been locked tight -- it's not like their server was a stock Linux install allowing anonymous SSH connections with root access. I mean, let's be serious, 99% of houses could be broken into trivially. If someone busted your window and cleared out your living room, would you really be mad at yourself for not buying fortified windows?

Sony was never incompetent at running servers -- every major site on the internet is hit with a constant barrage of sophisticated attacks. Yes, they could have done better (and presumably have improved), but one successful hack doesn't mean they're suddenly unable to be trusted.

Also, can we stop trusting Kotaku stories until they're corroborated by actual journalists?

Yeah, you're right. My metaphor was bad. I take that back.

And since this report has been debunked, let's all go back to talking games!

#47 Posted by Mixwizzard (83 posts) -

Look at it this way, it'll take 7 months to fix. But we'll get more free games.

#48 Posted by bemusedchunk (654 posts) -

Has the Wii ever been hacked?

#49 Posted by PhilESkyline (772 posts) -
#50 Posted by Silvergun (297 posts) -

Kotaku really has become the tabloid of games journalism hasn't it?