PSN or Xlive? no flamewar, need console advise.

earlygrab666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've always used xlive, never really used PSN. I never liked or understood how xlive matched me up in games. I'm curious if xlive actually upgraded their matchmaking.

These 2 are pulled from the list of features for Xone. My question is. Can anyone vouch for these claims? If they actually work like they claim, it may be the reason I would get the Xone.

from xbox.com xbox one features.

-Find the perfect match.

Smart Match uses advanced algorithms to pair you with the right players, and gives you more control over who you play with.

and another feature they list -

-No Jerks.

Are cheats and jerks ruining your multiplayer experiences? An extensive new reputation system helps keep annoying players out of your games.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@earlygrab666: As someone who initially defended Microsoft's Xbox Live service for years I now prefer PS+ Why? Well even though its required now with PS4 to play online the service benefits you across all your sony devices. PS3,Vita, PS4 and they don't lock stupid things like Netflix behind a paywall like Microsoft. Even with the free games Microsoft is giving out their choices are horrible and almost insulting. With PS+ right now you can get access to a few of the best games from 2012 like Dragons Dogma and Binary Domain. I think the overall experience on PSN has finally eclipsed Xbox LIVE.

thatdutchguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By thatdutchguy

PS+ has free games every month.......

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@earlygrab666: Xbox is continuing their reputation system as far as I can see - perhaps there will be some improvements to the algorithm and it'll work better for you this time around?

IMO the side benefits of PS+ (free games for 3 platforms, game trials, early access, etc) outbalance that as I find that matchmaking is better done when handled by the game itself. In fact, I'd be surprised if games primarily relied upon Xbox's matchmaking on the 360 rather than their own as on PC and PS platforms, they generally have siloed matchmaking code.

earlygrab666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By earlygrab666

For the sake of the thread, let's leave out the other benefits of Live vs. PSN.

My only concern is if the matchmaking is actually better than Xone compared to the 360 or PSN?

Also, are the 2 features listed by Xone the same for the 360 since it is the same service or is it upgraded if I go next gen?

http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/multiplayer

Ozzie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Ozzie

@earlygrab666: As someone who initially defended Microsoft's Xbox Live service for years I now prefer PS+ Why? Well even though its required now with PS4 to play online the service benefits you across all your sony devices. PS3,Vita, PS4 and they don't lock stupid things like Netflix behind a paywall like Microsoft. Even with the free games Microsoft is giving out their choices are horrible and almost insulting. With PS+ right now you can get access to a few of the best games from 2012 like Dragons Dogma and Binary Domain. I think the overall experience on PSN has finally eclipsed Xbox LIVE.

Pretty much agree with all of this. The mindset of PS+ just makes more sense and the games PS+ offers that are free are just better/more relevant. Live has gotten better with Halo 3, AC2 and Dead Rising 2, still lacking though. I just got the PS4 and everything is fast and the UI is good. I'm not sure if it's better then Xones, I've heard it's not, but really it works fine to me. Still too early for me, since I just switched to PS+, to say whether it's got better match making or if it filters out "jerks". As far as I can tell the online game experience between Live and Plus are identical I can't tell a difference.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I primarily played XBL games online for years. Since my switch to prioritizing PSN in the past year I personally haven't encountered anything negative with matchmaking.

But online is secondary to me so I assume others can break it down better.

And I have to say it, PS+ is a heck of a service with its good free games and constant discounts.

Avatar image for selfconfessedcynic
selfconfessedcynic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@earlygrab666 said:

For the sake of the thread, let's leave out the other benefits of Live vs. PSN.

My only concern is if the matchmaking is actually better than Xone compared to the 360 or PSN?

Also, are the 2 features listed by Xone the same for the 360 since it is the same service or is it upgraded if I go next gen?

The thing is, it's almost impossible to test. There are different people playing games (or a very small subset of the original sample) on the Xbox One or PS4. It's also unclear which games previously used the 360's matchmaking or just had their own code for it. As I said in a previous post, PS and PC games generally had their own matchmaking code - and I'd be surprised if many (if any) of the big cross-platform titles used the 360's reputation system.

All we know is that the reputation system is continuing, so I'd assume games which previously used it will continue to use it. All you can hope for is that they improved the algorithm, but the only proof of that we could obtain would be directly from the mouth of MS.

As such, you'll find that if anyone compares the two services, the focus would be on the other benefits rather than matchmaking. It's one big unknown.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

@earlygrab666: Gonna probally tell you that all of what you posted that they are touting is bullshit. Microsoft has had stuff like "Trueskill" for years now that is "supposed" to pair you with similarly skilled players but it never seems to work properly. Could they have fixed this problem? Possibly but honestly I wouldn't hold my breath here. The matchmaking is about the same sort of experience.

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By hatking

You use weird abbreviations. Which only validates my anti-abbreviation policy.

On topic, I'd be willing to bet in the coming months and years we see a huge improvement on PSN*. Let's keep in mind they've been running their service gratis until about a week ago. Now that they're seeing profit margins rise on that side of things (assuming early adopters are taking that plunge) I'd be willing to bet that they're more likely to push that technology more than they have in the past. So - and I can't speak to either new console because, well, I don't have either - while Xbox Live might be the better service now (and I've actually noticed some improvements roll back on the 360 - Netflix patched itself without me loading it up), PSN might match or surpass it in the coming months or years. Id est, it's too early to call this sort of thing either way.

*PSN is an acceptable abbreviation because it is officially endorsed by Sony.

deanoxd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By deanoxd

i picked up cod:ghosts yesterday for my my PS4 and after playing about 6 hours mp i couldn't tell you the difference between xbl and psn the match making is fast, i get no lag, and i had never played a online mp game on my ps3 and played every cod game on xbl.