Publishers Efforts to Stop Used Games Sales Are Not Working

SourMillennia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

Edited By SourMillennia

Perhaps this is simply something that I have noticed, but many of the security measures put into place by various game companies have been lackluster in preventing the sale of ‘used’ games at locations such as Gamestop here in the U.S.

What do I mean? Many major publishers have been putting in one-time use codes to try and discourage used game sales, “if you buy this game new, you get a free download of this or that.” In theory, people would buy the game, use the code, finish the game and give it to Gamestop; a new customer would be more tempted to buy the game new to get full access to all the features, otherwise they may have to pay something extra on Xbox Live or PSN.

This seems to have some flaws in it. As an example, I recently went to Gamestop to purchase Rock Band 2 on 360, they had a copy, and when we got home, all of the codes for things like downloading new tracks and such were in good shape and ready to go. Thus the whole idea of buying it new to get the whole package was thwarted.

I would guess the majority of people would not utilize these extras if their goal is to beat the game and then trade it in. so trade in buyers are not getting punished.

Do you all think it is good to try and circumvent used game purchases? Do you think it is fair? Or, do you think there could be better ways of circumventing it if you don’t agree with the practice at all?

SourMillennia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By SourMillennia

Perhaps this is simply something that I have noticed, but many of the security measures put into place by various game companies have been lackluster in preventing the sale of ‘used’ games at locations such as Gamestop here in the U.S.

What do I mean? Many major publishers have been putting in one-time use codes to try and discourage used game sales, “if you buy this game new, you get a free download of this or that.” In theory, people would buy the game, use the code, finish the game and give it to Gamestop; a new customer would be more tempted to buy the game new to get full access to all the features, otherwise they may have to pay something extra on Xbox Live or PSN.

This seems to have some flaws in it. As an example, I recently went to Gamestop to purchase Rock Band 2 on 360, they had a copy, and when we got home, all of the codes for things like downloading new tracks and such were in good shape and ready to go. Thus the whole idea of buying it new to get the whole package was thwarted.

I would guess the majority of people would not utilize these extras if their goal is to beat the game and then trade it in. so trade in buyers are not getting punished.

Do you all think it is good to try and circumvent used game purchases? Do you think it is fair? Or, do you think there could be better ways of circumventing it if you don’t agree with the practice at all?

JasonDaPsycho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JasonDaPsycho

Yes, it's very fair. It's a buy and sale thing. 
Publishers may not benefit from it but well, if someone sells the game, then that means the replayability of the game is not all that high and they should reconsider their directions rather than hating on second hand games.

You see what I mean? The publishers should spend time and resources on actually making the game better rather than encouraging people to purchase a new copy of whatever.

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By AlKusanagi

In the first case, you just got lucky and got a copy from someone who never used the codes.

In a lot of cases, such as with the recent Bioware games, I think it works out pretty well since they're making a large chunk of the games "exclusive" to people with new copies, and if people get used copies but what to play the whole thing, they've gotta spend 20 bucks or so on DLC (made all the more ironic in that they could have spent $5 more for a new copy with the code). Making $20 off a used copy in DLC is a lot better than making nothing off a used copy as they were previously.

Personally I think it should be like Japan where companies get a cut on used games, although I do miss the heyday back around 99 when I was in Osaka and you could get a copy of a recent title for 1000 yen less than a month after release. Now used game pricing in Japan is more like the Gamestop model (whereas Japan raised prices to both pay the producers and still make a profit, while GS raised prices to be greedy douches).

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By Tennmuerti

You got lucky. With each person renting the game chance of the codes going unused goes down.
And yes publishers are absolutely justified in doing so. How is repurchasing used games fair to them?
They only get a cut for the first sale. All further second hand sales and renting of the game the publisher will get nothing, just as if the person has pirated it.

Obviously these are just recent changes so they are yet to be really felt in any major way.
However DLC and other new purchase bonuses will only start to have any proper effect when: (cost of new game) - (value of free stuff) < (cost of used/rented game)
Key factor here is the break point at which people think the additional content is worth the difference in price.
So far most DLC packs and bonuses are not at that point. The only one that comes even remotely close is ME2