Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#151  Edited By Ghostiet
@rebgav said:

@Ghostiet said:

@FluxWaveZ said:

Ironically, Ryan is like 10 times worse at playing games than Brad and he ain't got a meme.

It's a light-hearted jab, that's all. I'm not counting assholes, of course.

Yeah, maybe, but Ryan doesn't give a fuck and he can take a joke. He is immune to the internet.

I don't know. Brad made plenty of "time of death, add it to the list" jokes. I think he's more frustrated with people who take the joke and instead of laughing begin to insult him. There's plenty of people like there - I fucking hate everyone who uses the "anime is for jerks" line, because most of them treat a joke as ABSOLUTE TRUTH.

Besides, I don't think Brad was EVER as frustrating to watch as Ryan was when playing The Darkness II co-op. Jesus Christ. Not even the Shadow of the Colossus QL was close.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#152  Edited By GuyIncognito

@darthvader300 said:

ahaha

Antihippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#153  Edited By Antihippy

@Beaudacious said:

I resent Brad assuming all the "Pulling a Brad" trolling is summed up by some jealousy for his job.

1. Brad is "bad" at video games, doesn't mean he can't enjoy them, or review them. It does mean he needs to suck it up butter cup when he gets teased. He needs to learn how to embrace this "meme", like the Will Smith cum face.

2. " Pulling a Brad" comments rarely lead to people saying he doesn't deserve his job. Brad can be a great reviewer, and has written some fantastic reviews when he tries. BUT when Brad can't figure out controls, then follows that up by a 40 minute complanathon on a quick look, its hard to respect his opinion or following review. When a game actually has awful controls there is nothing wrong with that, but it seems to happen more often then not for Brad.

I'm pretty sure Will smith has been pretty vocal about how irritated he is by that meme.

Also there are a ton of people who does say that pulling brads means he doesn't deserve his job. Whether they mean it or not, who can tell.

emem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#154  Edited By emem
@Godlyawesomeguy said:

@Jeffsekai said:

Why do they post more on Gaf than on their own goddamn forums...

Now here is a very valid point.

@ZeForgotten said:
So that's why he's leaving (I know, retarded meme but at least it fits for once in it's miserable life)

There you got your answer.
krazy_kyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155  Edited By krazy_kyle

The fact he has this anxiety shows that he cares about what he does but getting worried about dieing in a videogame infront of people is a bid crazy imo.

gatehouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#156  Edited By gatehouse

But them not being the world's best videogamers is what makes me love them even more. If Brad can't beat something, then I probably can't and that just makes it even better for me as a form of consumer advice.

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By selbie

For someone who gets paid to play videogames and preview a lot before they get released means that all the haters can go fuck a tree (no offense to any trees here). To err is human, to derr is Brad-- NO! I kid, I kid.

GeneralZod37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By GeneralZod37

Adam Boyes isn't the only guy outside of the GB crew to quote the meme.

On one hand, the people sincerely bitching about Brad's skill, or lack thereof, take life too seriously. They need a bit of perspective and realize that even though he has been doing it for years it is completely understandable that a guy gets nervous playing a game in front of 3000+ people on the internet. Being bad at playing games in a live stream/QL != being bad at playing games in general. Besides that though, his playing ability should have no impact what so ever on your life. If it does, you need help. Seriously. I'm not fucking around. Go to a therapist and work out your issues.

On the other hand Brad should realize that his job opens him up to any and everyone critiquing him and what he projects to the world via his different mediums. And he should thicken his skin ala Ryan. Take the meme and make it his own like he has already has kind of with the Breaking Brad segments. If he is remembered in the future, it will not be for his lack of public gaming skills. It wont even be a footnote, unless it is in a comedic anthology. He will be remembered for his writing ability, which is superb.

A point to that is his cameo in Indie Game The Movie. In his appearance you see him die at Super Meat Boy a lot, via Lemon Lens. The game's difficulty was the point of the segment, though. It didn't reflect that Brad was bad at the game at all. And, I don't consider it a spoiler, Tommy Refenes says that Brad's QL/review was a high point.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#159  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Man I still remember one of my first posts here was commenting on how Brad could improve his Deadly Premonition skills. Looking back at those times is weird, like I'm seeing myself crawling through the wrong end of a luchadeer.

Gizmo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By Gizmo

Neogaf is fucking retarded, I sent an 'application' to join months ago, and those ass-holes can't even follow up my email.

Avatar image for james_giant_peach
James_Giant_Peach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Grissefar said:

Adam Boyes made a joke about 99 lives in World Gone Sour QL, and it felt like he took a giant shit on Brad. When someone from the outside who is not a part of the core tries to make the joke, it really hurts like a motherfucker, I think.

It's a shame, since Brad has actually been more entertaining lately, as has all of them really. He's not been near asleep or on his way to just get the Quick Look over with. So thanks for that, Gamespot. I wonder how long it will be till they return to their usual summer lull.

Someone from the outside who is not a part of the core!? WTF is that ffs the GB community isn't the fucking Freemasons.

Barrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#162  Edited By Barrock

Sad that he didn't post that here.

Fuckin' GAF.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#164  Edited By vaiz

@James_Giant_Peach said:

@Grissefar said:

Adam Boyes made a joke about 99 lives in World Gone Sour QL, and it felt like he took a giant shit on Brad. When someone from the outside who is not a part of the core tries to make the joke, it really hurts like a motherfucker, I think.

It's a shame, since Brad has actually been more entertaining lately, as has all of them really. He's not been near asleep or on his way to just get the Quick Look over with. So thanks for that, Gamespot. I wonder how long it will be till they return to their usual summer lull.

Someone from the outside who is not a part of the core!? WTF is that ffs the GB community isn't the fucking Freemasons.

I think Adam Boyes is pretty tight with the dudes.

YoThatLimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165  Edited By YoThatLimp

@artgarcrunkle said:

All those guys have been terrible at games on camera but Brad is the only one who gets defensive and won't roll with the punches. Gosh I wonder if that has anything to do with people fucking with him.

Yeah the last TNT was just a 2 hour Gerstmann Suck fest.

Oh god, what did I just type.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

No one gets mad at the staff being bad at games, until the staff uses their own badness to demonstrate why the game is bad.

I think it was some top down racer, Brad kept going the wrong way or driving full throttle into a wall. And then I went "but he said he S-Ranked Arkham twice, and that isn't simple". So either his skills are super specific, or yeah, he just loses all left-side brain functions on camera. Which is amusing to watch anyway.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#167  Edited By sopranosfan

I consider myself slightly above average when it comes to video games. By definition the majority of gamers fall in the slightly below to slightly above average and I am actually glad that there are reviewers that aren't elite gamers because obviously their perspective is different from the majority.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#168  Edited By ch3burashka

You mean internet bullies are finally getting to Brad? Gee, what a surprise.

I've given Brad some shit on some of his videos, but some people revel in their ability to post anything. I'd be happy if the moderators took greater liberties with banning/suspending people who qualify as 'total assholes'.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@Milkman

@Beaudacious said:

I really like Brad as a person, but I've grown to dislike his work. On the other side i fucking despise Alex Navaro as a person to the extent that i would probably be moved to leave a mutual room, but i really like his content and reviews.

I don't get this. How could you possibly "despise" Alex as a person? You don't even know him. If you don't like someone's writing, fine. But how can you say someone is a shitty person when you know literally nothing about them?

Personally, I actually enjoy Alex's reviews but I can't stand the majority of his news articles and general personality around the site.

Also, the entire point of these sites was to know the staff on a more personal level and use that as context for their writing. So if we know literally nothing about what Jeff or Ryan or Alex are like IN REAL LIFE, then they're doing a bad job of adding personality here.
artgarcrunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#170  Edited By artgarcrunkle

@Gizmo: You sound bitter.

@Brodehouse said:

No one gets mad at the staff being bad at games, until the staff uses their own badness to demonstrate why the game is bad. I think it was some top down racer, Brad kept going the wrong way or driving full throttle into a wall. And then I went "but he said he S-Ranked Arkham twice, and that isn't simple". So either his skills are super specific, or yeah, he just loses all left-side brain functions on camera. Which is amusing to watch anyway.

Plus I personally can't believe a guy who makes a habit of blaming games for his own badness would provide an accurate representation of a games quality in reviews or whatever.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#171  Edited By ProfessorEss

I've never thought much of it because like Brad my skills instantly seem to drop once someone's watching - and I mean one person not a thousand.

Shoemaker's a boss. Best reviewer in the biz as far as I'm concerned, and has been for a long time.

zeushbien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#172  Edited By zeushbien

@gbrading: 100% Agree.

GuyIncognito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#173  Edited By GuyIncognito

StingerMK2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#174  Edited By StingerMK2

i find the whole thing really funny and endearing, i just feel a little sorry for him and angry at the people who question his integrity and ability to review games

Slaker117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#175  Edited By Slaker117

My biggest issue with Brad in Quick Looks and stuff isn't that he screws ups, it's that he gets defensive about screwing up. It just brings more attention to it and ruins the flow of things. Occasionally he'll even try to blame the game for his failure, which in some cases is justifiable, but just as often it's his own fault. The rest of the crew makes plenty of dumb mistakes, but they can all roll with it better than Brad. As a result, I generally find his videos to be the least enjoyable. It's pretty clear that he has anxiety issues that feed into the problem, and I don't know what the proper way to deal with that is. Regardless, I'm not going to soften my opinion because of it. He's a public persona and a grown man, it's his prerogative, not ours.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Jeffsekai said:

This is probably the more notable thing about this whole ordeal. As if it weren't clear enough that they've drifted away from their own community already.

@PrivateIronTFU said:

@Jimbo said:

Or, you know, blame whoever it is that keeps assigning the employee with crippling stage fright to 'on stage' duty. Brad is by far GB's best writer and -oddly- their best interviewer (I guess it's a prep thing). QLs and other chucklehead 'personality' content clearly doesn't suit him, it rarely turns out well when he has to do it and he's wasted on it anyway. All the time he spends playing games (badly, apparently) in front of a camera could probably be better spent writing something worth reading.

There's a big difference between 'dying a few times on camera' and 'crippling stage fright'. I'm pretty sure Brad doesn't suffer from the latter.

The thing is that it's not really a "few times" that stuff like this has happened; that's why it's a meme. I understand the anxiety that Brad feels, since I suffer from anxiety at varying degrees of severity from time to time too, but it's not an unreasonable suggestion, really, to have Brad not be in the driver's seat on so many Quick Looks when the coverage of a game or the presentation of their content occasionally takes such a hit in the process. Brad is wonderful at, as Jimbo said, writing and interviewing. So, play more to his strengths than his weaknesses.

I'm sure they've probably half-seriously had this discussion, or at least those thoughts have crossed their minds, but it's probably dismissed with "who cares about the consequences, we refuse to cave to 'haters!'" which is really a silly immature way of viewing the situation that I hope they haven't taken. If so, they should just get over it.
dropabombonit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#177  Edited By dropabombonit

Brad is one of my favourite members of the bombsquad and I have to say recently Ryan seems to be getting stuck or lost in games. Also everyone dies or gets stuck on a obvious puzzle in games, it's just nobody is recording us doing it

wafflez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#178  Edited By wafflez

Maybe this has been brought up, but didn't someone chart out the amount of deaths in qls and ql appearances.. and brads chance of death was a lot lower than Jeff and Ryan?  I'd look for it but I have to leave for work :x  I always enjoy brad in qls and videos in general. 

BionicMonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#179  Edited By BionicMonster

Ryan is the most frustrating one to watch for sure, but he realizes how much he misses things by not paying attention and comments on it. His hubris prevented me from quitting the Chrono Trigger ER early.

on3moresoul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#180  Edited By on3moresoul
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#181  Edited By Death_Unicorn

I know it's none of my business, but what was the rest of the thread like?

Also, I love Brad.

Nitrocore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#182  Edited By Nitrocore

Shock horror, the guy finds it hard to play games and talk at the same time, what is this world coming to? Next you'll all be saying he can't Skii down a mountain, while maintaining a 2 set lead on Yevgeny Kafelnikov in the French Open. (Yes, identicaly perfect comparison).

Avatar image for buzz_killington
buzz_killington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#183  Edited By buzz_killington

Brad sucks at games and I deserve his job of writing expertly crafted reviews, two things that have very little to do with each other...

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#184  Edited By Animasta

@Marokai said:

@Jeffsekai said:

This is probably the more notable thing about this whole ordeal. As if it weren't clear enough that they've drifted away from their own community already.

if I were them I wouldn't want to post on the GB forums either, it can be an echo chamber at times where another forum might not be.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#185  Edited By Rowr

It's not his constant nervous dying in quicklook's that troubles me, it's his lack of knowledge regarding pc games. Like when stalker is too hard and he doesn't get it. Or when he confuses dungeon keeper with dungeon siege because he doesn't know what either of them are.

These things bother me, but I take brad for who he is; a console video game journalist - and a pretty damn good one in my opinion. As far as well written, well communicated reviews, Brad is the top of the pile.

1p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#186  Edited By 1p
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#187  Edited By Pepsiman

@Animasta said:

@Marokai said:

@Jeffsekai said:

if I were them I wouldn't want to post on the GB forums either, it can be an echo chamber at times where another forum might not be.

Indeed. It's like Jeff has said about GAF before: it's kind of the one big neutral territory we have about video game discussion of all sorts within the industry. No developer, publisher, or other formal entity holds any sway over its inner-workings and, by extension, the way its community is expected to think and act. It's not like the staff doesn't enjoy posting to these forums (they tend to just do it in surprising places), but especially when bringing up an issue like Brad's, it's not like having a discussion about it with a community that has the very people perpetuating it is going to be a fruitful endeavor, either. I know when I want to vent about an ongoing problem with, say, a professor or a good friend, I'm likely to not feel comfortable about openly talking about it until I'm somewhere that isn't related to the issue.

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#188  Edited By Leptok

At least he doesn't have a fun face meme

Leptok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By Leptok

Lol stupid autocorrect turned cum to fun.

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#190  Edited By 234r2we232

Heh. Memes are for simple folk who don't understand jokes, or just suck at contributing. As soon as something becomes a meme, you know it's worn it's welcome. If anything, "pulling a Brad" could be referring to whinging for hours to get your way ;)

Never understood the "skill" criticism. Skill has nothing to do with silly unprofessional things like skipping instructions and then criticising the gameplay. Besides, I generally skip his QLs now so I'm not concerned over his 'elite MLG gaming skillz duder <>'.

It's hard to take him seriously because I don't much care for his attitude towards things he clearly doesn't understand. For a guy who appears intelligent enough, you'd expect some semblance of patience and understanding but he has all the attitude of a spoiled child. I do enjoy his writing style, though. Probably my favourite writer on the site, after Jeff and Alex, if only he would write more outside of reviews and bitter sounding PMs.

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#191  Edited By Meowshi

@sofacitysweetheart said:

Heh. Memes are for simple folk who don't understand jokes, or just suck at contributing.

Of all the things to be pretentious about, you choose internet humor? Good god, Lemon.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#192  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Milkman said:

@Beaudacious said:

I really like Brad as a person, but I've grown to dislike his work. On the other side i fucking despise Alex Navaro as a person to the extent that i would probably be moved to leave a mutual room, but i really like his content and reviews.

I don't get this. How could you possibly "despise" Alex as a person? You don't even know him. If you don't like someone's writing, fine. But how can you say someone is a shitty person when you know literally nothing about them?

I don't get how people get this mentality. It's one thing to not like a persons work, but to despise someone you've never met? Just seems odd.

Also definitely agree that Ryan seems the worst. And you know what? That's fine. Who cares really?

234r2we232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#193  Edited By 234r2we232

@Meowshi said:

Heh. Memes are for simple folk who don't understand jokes, or just suck at contributing.

Of all the things to be pretentious about, you choose internet humor? Good god, Lemon.

This coming from the person being pretentious about being pretentious. Nice work. That's quite a hole you've dug yourself.

Wikitoups

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#194  Edited By Wikitoups

I Believe In Brad and you should too!

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#195  Edited By kishinfoulux

@Rowr said:

It's not his constant nervous dying in quicklook's that troubles me, it's his lack of knowledge regarding pc games. Like when stalker is too hard and he doesn't get it. Or when he confuses dungeon keeper with dungeon siege because he doesn't know what either of them are.

These things bother me, but I take brad for who he is; a console video game journalist - and a pretty damn good one in my opinion. As far as well written, well communicated reviews, Brad is the top of the pile.

I think all gaming journos do this though. Not fair to single out Brad for this. It's hard to remember every single detail of every single game, especially knowing that the internet is waiting to jump down your throat at the slightest mistake.

Also I've noticed a bit of Alex hate in this thread. What's the deal with that anyways?

Drebin_893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#196  Edited By Drebin_893

This is what anyone with any amount of emotional intelligence knows, and it's why I think very little of this community,

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#197  Edited By masternater27

I never knew he got people claiming they don't trust his reviews and shit, that's dumb. I thought our community was better than that. Even if Brad was the worst player of video games ever that doesn't mean he couldn't give great insight on games (as he does).

Plus, not only do I sometimes suck sometimes, but I had the pleasure of playing Steel Battalion in front of people from Capcom, Microsoft, some work friends, and cameras. It was a terrifying experience and when the game wasn't reacting how I wanted it to I got really frustrated and made more mistakes and was turning all red and shit.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#198  Edited By nintendoeats

@Video_Game_King said:

@ryanrulez said:

Hopefully he doesn't CHOKE playing Doom II then...

@darthvader300 said:

ahaha

The juxtaposition of these posts could not be any better.

Today you earn your crown...

Meowshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#199  Edited By Meowshi

@Meowshi said:

This coming from the person being pretentious about being pretentious. Nice work. That's quite a hole you've dug yourself.

thepantheon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#200  Edited By thepantheon

BRAD! we love you. 'pulling a brad' is meant in jest, and who cares which times you're great and not so great at any game.