Push videos to Chromecast

Nikorag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey!

This is my first post! I thought you guys might be interested in a chrome extension I'm working on. It allows you to push videos from GiantBomb to your chromecast.

It's still rough and no doubt full of bugs but if this is something you might be interested in check it out here:

Thanks and go easy on me.

Jamie

Brundage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By Brundage

Nice, will you be able to watch the live shows?

Nikorag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brundage: Unfortunately not as it just grabs the MP4 file and forwards it to the generic Media Receiver on the chrome cast.

Sorry!!

Loafsmooch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got a chromecast for christmas so this is highly appreciated. And welcome to the forums!

hexxagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nikorag: Hey Jamie. I have 2 questions... how is this different than the official Google Cast extension for Chrome (I mean are there any additional advantages? Does it run smoother than the "stream your tab to the TV" functionality?) ...and would it be possible to make something like this for other browsers? Not a programmer myself, so I don't know much about the details.
Thanks!

Nikorag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexxagon: It actually streams the media as an MP4 file so is much smoother than the stream your tab functionality but does lack the ability to stream live broadcasts. Unfortunately it relies on the chrome extension to work (as do all Chromecast sender apps) so would not be possible for Firefox.

It's only a hobby project but I welcome your input.

Thanks!

hexxagon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nikorag: I haven't tried it yet, but I'll install Chrome and report back.