#1 Posted by Discoerd (4 posts) -

Not Age of Empires Online, and preferably something where me and a couple of people could play versus bots? Or just versus each other would also be fine.

#2 Edited by The_Grindilow (433 posts) -

Well there's the obvious MOBA's if that's your type of thing, LoL + Dota. I had a bit of fun with Settlers Online. Magic the Gathering too...

#3 Posted by mosespippy (4444 posts) -

Dota 2 is technically a strategy game that plays in real time, is free to play and you can play with your friends.

Alternatively, EA did put out the original Command and Conquer for free somewhere on their website a couple years ago. I played it with some friends via dosbox last month. They might have put out Red Alert for free as well; I can't remembe.

#4 Posted by Discoerd (4 posts) -

Well there's the obvious MOBA's if that's your type of thing, LoL + Dota. I had a bit of fun with Settlers Online. Magic the Gathering too...

Dota 2 is technically a strategy game that plays in real time, is free to play and you can play with your friends.

Alternatively, EA did put out the original Command and Conquer for free somewhere on their website a couple years ago. I played it with some friends via dosbox last month. They might have put out Red Alert for free as well; I can't remembe.

That's basically saying every game ever is technically a RTS. Lol. Not trying to be mean but a MOBA is not an RTS by traditional standards, that's kind of why it's got its own name. :) Might try Settlers tho, and I personally love CnC but I was hoping there was some newer stuff out people could suggest.

#5 Edited by The_Grindilow (433 posts) -

@discoerd: I was under the impression a MOBA is a sub-genre of a RTS ;)

#6 Edited by Discoerd (4 posts) -

@discoerd: I was under the impression a MOBA is a sub-genre of a RTS ;)

Most definitely, guess I should have said traditional RTS in the title then. O.o

#7 Posted by bhelyer (30 posts) -

StarCraft II has a starter edition that allows you to play as Terran on a limited set of maps against the AI or people in a custom match (i.e. no ladder) , if that's your thing. And if one of your party has the full version, they can spawn the others up to be able to play some team games on Battle.Net.

#8 Posted by Seedofpower (3949 posts) -

I know of some good RTS games, but none of them are free. Company of heroes 2 just came out but that still at full price, but you can get the Dawn of war series on the cheap at least. Wargame: European Escalation is pretty good that's only 20 bucks and the squeal just came out but that's 40.

As for free, the only other RTS I've played other than AoE:o is AirMech but its more tactical than economic. It's fun, but I don't know if that is what you are looking for. I suggest looking up free to play strategy games on steam. It wouldn't hurt, seeing as how they are free.

#9 Edited by Discoerd (4 posts) -

@bhelyer said:

StarCraft II has a starter edition that allows you to play as Terran on a limited set of maps against the AI or people in a custom match (i.e. no ladder) , if that's your thing. And if one of your party has the full version, they can spawn the others up to be able to play some team games on Battle.Net.

I have the full game, can I inv ppl to a vs bots match if they only have the starter ed? And also can I do that if I upgrade to HoTS and they only have starter ed?

#10 Posted by Aterons (197 posts) -

You can play mostly any good rts up to and including Warcraft:TFT using hamatchi, gameranger or what not. And buying them is also pretty damn cheap.

Not a lot of "recent" rts games worth a damn exist anyway, especially not f2p.

#11 Posted by bhelyer (30 posts) -
@discoerd said:

@bhelyer said:

I have the full game, can I inv ppl to a vs bots match if they only have the starter ed? And also can I do that if I upgrade to HoTS and they only have starter ed?

I'm pretty sure Starter Editions can do that on their own, but if you have HotS definitely: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/buy-now/spawning

Being in a Spawned party allows you to play just about any game type in StarCraft II with your Starter Edition friends.

#13 Posted by Snail (8661 posts) -

I remember Age of Empires Online being pretty fun. If I had a capable computer right now I would get back onto it.

Are you excluding it from suggestions because you're not interested, or because you already play it?

This is also the only suggestion I can think of, off the top of my head.

#14 Posted by fisk0 (4484 posts) -

The upcoming Command & Conquer seems like it could be pretty decent (not the browser based Tiberium Alliance though, that game is abysmal).

The free to play RTS NetStorm, which was created by the designer of Bioforge in 1997 is still up: http://www.netstormhq.com/news.php

There's also Warzone 2100, one of the early 3D RTSes back in the late 90's, which was made open source in 2004 and is still actively being developed at http://wz2100.net/

#15 Edited by Snail (8661 posts) -

@discoerd: What a fun coincidence that on the same day I read this post I happened to decide to rummage through a few of the hundreds of unread e-mails in my inbox, and eventually found this advertised in a one-month-or-so old e-mail from Indiegogo. It might be just what you're looking for!

I hope to check it out soon. It sounds like a cool project, unique and quirky in its open-sourceness, and it seems like its creative heart and mind are in the right place.

Have fun, if you do try it out!

#16 Edited by Immortal_Guy (127 posts) -

There's an open-source RTS engine called "Spring" that started a while ago as a way of re-making total annihilation, and then became host to a whole bunch of other free RTS games. I've never gotten round to actually playing any of them, but It looked like quite a bit of time went into some of them, and I think some are even still being actively worked on. Might be worth giving it a look.

http://springrts.com/

#17 Posted by tumtumtum (7 posts) -

Both Command and Conquer and Red Alert 1 are playable with OpenRa for free. You can play against bots or online.

http://openra.res0l.net/