Question about game availability on Android.

Avatar image for deactivated-6157afb2b3c07
deactivated-6157afb2b3c07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

I am thinking of selling my retina iPad, since I can get just about every dime I paid for it. This will also be a big benefit for me, since I have been pinning for a 7-inch tablet for a very long time. I know there are benefits to the size of a 10 inch tablet, but when you read articles and books as much as me, you need something smaller. That new Nexus 7 is looking very nice to me right now, but my question is when jumping from Apple to Android, how is the gaming market on that platform? I play indie games, here and there on the iPad and I hear the Google Store isn't as healthy in content as the Apple app store. What do you think and can you shed some like on this for me?

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jdh5153

Get an iPad mini. Unless you like getting stuff that sucks, stick with Apple.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

... but I want a 7-inch tablet, and even myself, someone who is a rather large Apple enthusiast, will admit I think the iPad Mini is pretty lacking.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jdh5153

@jdh5153 said:

... but I want a 7-inch tablet, and even myself, someone who is a rather large Apple enthusiast, will admit I think the iPad Mini is pretty lacking.

If the iPad mini is lacking, good luck finding something that will satisfy you. No tablet on Earth even gets close to the quality of an iPad or iPad mini... And if size of the app store / game store is also important to you, again you will be quite disappointed with your decision.

Feel free to try yourself. Just know that you won't make your money back on the Android tablet you get when you decide to sell it to get an iPad again. There's a reason iPads hold their value so well.

Nekroskop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Nekroskop

Are there really that many games for Apple devices that are must play?

Just do yourself and your wallet a favour and buy a Nexus 7. You can emulate better games than iOS has ever had. Legally of course.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Even though a lot of the big iOS games take forever to get ported, if at all, I'd still argue that Google Play is loaded with fantastic games. It can be difficult to keep up with new releases as Google Play isn't great at showcasing things, so you'll want to follow an Android based site to keep up with some of the really good games. (I personally like Android Police for this)

If you're interested in a seven inch tablet the 2013 Nexus 7 is easily your best bet. I currently own the 2012 model and it can run pretty much anything the marketplace has to offer, and the 2013 model has an extra gig of ram plus faster CPU and GPU.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

IOS always gets the game, Android gets the sloppy port,

Wait for the rumored Retina Ipad Mini

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#8  Edited By LordAndrew

Some companies ignore Android or put out ports months later because they hate money. If you already have games you play on the iPad, check Google Play ahead of time to see which of them are available and consider whether the holes in the library are acceptable.

There are also some games found exclusively on Android. Don't be afraid to look at those as they can still be quality products.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

Some companies ignore Android or put out ports months later because they hate money. If you already have games you play on the iPad, check Google Play ahead of time to see which of them are available and consider whether the holes in the library are acceptable.

There are also some games found exclusively on Android. Don't be afraid to look at those as they can still be quality products.

I know that Kairosoft (the Game Dev Story guys) generally release on Android a few months before they release on iOS (if they release it there at all). On the other hand, most of their games that are worth playing at all have already gone through that process and are now on both.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@jdh5153 said:

@mrpilkington said:

@jdh5153 said:

If the iPad mini is lacking, good luck finding something that will satisfy you. No tablet on Earth even gets close to the quality of an iPad or iPad mini... And if size of the app store / game store is also important to you, again you will be quite disappointed with your decision.

Feel free to try yourself. Just know that you won't make your money back on the Android tablet you get when you decide to sell it to get an iPad again. There's a reason iPads hold their value so well.

Yes there is a reason they hold their value so well, it is because they overcharge for the devices, of course when the android tablets on average are 150 dollars Less than anything apple is offering they are going to be worth less over time. A 32gb Ipad mini is 429.99, a 32gb Nexus 7 or a 16gb Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (with expandable storage) is 199.99. And don't even get me started on the phone market that apple has let android get a grasp on because all they know how to do is the same phone over and over again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jdh5153 said:

@mrpilkington said:

@jdh5153 said:

Yes there is a reason they hold their value so well, it is because they overcharge for the devices, of course when the android tablets on average are 150 dollars Less than anything apple is offering they are going to be worth less over time. A 32gb Ipad mini is 429.99, a 32gb Nexus 7 or a 16gb Galaxy Tab 3 7.0 (with expandable storage) is 199.99. And don't even get me started on the phone market that apple has let android get a grasp on because all they know how to do is the same phone over and over again.

The phone thing is noticeable to me know. My upgrade period was this last Christmas and I went from the iPhone 4 to the 5. My sister recently got a Galaxy S4 and she let me mess around with it. I was a little shocked. Whereas my iPhone 5 felt like a massive upgrade, this phone felt a little higher than even mine.

Bell_End

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if you want to play games you buy an apple. if you don't want an apple you buy an android