Question about hdmi cables

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I have a question about hdmi cables and which I should be using on my new PS4. I have these cable I bought from mono price that have reviewed well and are supposedly good quality, but I noticed the the connector heads are getting bent due to the fact they are between my arm mounted tv and the wall. Since my tv is really bottom heavy, it is always at a downward tilt. This causes the mono price hdmi cables to have the connector head bend because it's protrudes quite a but. Now the connector has a bend in it, but the image appears to still come in fine using them .

But I'm wondering if I should just use the hdmi cable that came with the ps4? The connector on that one is small enough where it's not going to get wedged like the mono price ones.

I'll try to post a picture if the bend I'm talking about. But what do you guys think? Is there even going to be a difference?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#2  Edited By musubi

Dude HDMI cable is a HDMI cable. I paid like goddamn .15 cents for a 3 foot cable off of amazon for my PS3 and it works just fine. Whatever you got will be just fine the cheaper the better don't fall for the overpriced HDMI cable bullshit.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

I'm a loser (moderator edit: this is incorrect)

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

HDMI is a digital signal, the quality of wires will not deteriorate the signal... the only difference with noting would be the build quality but the cheap as chips ones produce a picture as good as the $50 monster ones.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yesiamaduck: so if there was an issue caused by the slight bend of the connector head, I'll know it right?

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe you could wedge something else between the TV & wall (like an eraser or something) to reduce the strain on the connector? If it is like what I'm picturing then it's not great for the cable to be under that kind of pressure; depending on the angle I might also worry about the connector inside the TV getting damaged (which would be much more of a pain than a broken cable).

Then again, you probably wouldn't see any actual issues since the digital signal is pretty resilient unless you've got a TON of noise. Also monoprice cables are cheap :)

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

ltsmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

There's no difference unless your TV is larger than 50"

Just need to quote you hear for clarity's sake in this topic - this is completely incorrect. All cables of the same HDMI spec are going to have essentially the same performance. I'm not even sure where you came up with this screen size thing in relation to the quality of HDMI cables.

ravensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ravensword

@quantris: well, the part that's hitting the wall is the actual cable part. But that's causing the connection to head to be pulled down. So now there's a bit of a bend to it after months being like that.

I'm probably just going to use the cable that came packed in with the ps4 so I don't have to keep worrying about it. My new TV I'll get won't be wall mounted, so I'll then rebuy the the the mono price cables at that time because this issue won't exist anymore.

Again, the cables are still working fine example as far as I can tell, but I just would feel better not using them for fear of damage or whatever.

I assume that packed in cable is fine that came with the ps4?

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By TyCobb

The only reason to spend more for HDMI cables is when you need to go a long distance and are afraid the cheap cable may start giving a weak signal. However, if that is an actual concern, normally, you would start looking into an amplifier to boost the signal and really, that's if you need to go like 40+ feet.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I assume that packed in cable is fine that came with the ps4?

There should be absolutely no problem with the stock cable. HDMI cables from big box stores are some of the biggest ripoffs and markups there are. Don't even get me started on Monster Cables. It's all bullshit.

Aviar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Aviar

Since it's a digital signal it will either work or it won't. So if the picture is still fine, than the cable is still fine.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@raven_sword: For some reason I thought you were asking about buying a new cable; I didn't realize you had the other one.

If the other one won't cause the problem, then yeah you should definitely switch it. As others have said, if you're seeing a picture and you're not in an extraordinary situation (like a super long distance) then HDMI will look the same no matter what cable you're using. I would be very concerned about putting constant strain on the cable, not because of the cable itself but more because you could eventually damage the connector in the TV. So if the other cable fits without wedging against the wall you should definitely use it.

xaLieNxGrEyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By xaLieNxGrEyx

@mb said:

@xalienxgreyx said:

There's no difference unless your TV is larger than 50"

Just need to quote you hear for clarity's sake in this topic - this is completely incorrect. All cables of the same HDMI spec are going to have essentially the same performance. I'm not even sure where you came up with this screen size thing in relation to the quality of HDMI cables.

You're more or less correct and I was just generalizing for the sake of a simple answer, but since you asked.

http://www.tested.com/tech/3329-the-difference-between-cheap-and-expensive-hdmi-cables/

There is a very minor difference with more expensive cables, and the larger your display the more apparent it becomes if you're really picky and analyze it very closely.

I have a friend who owns a 50" Sony and we have experienced slight differences in picture quality after using a more expensive cable, but couldn't tell a difference on his other 42" Samsung. Also, we could only see it while watching Blurays, video games were identical.

Or maybe it was all in our head, and in which case I'll just go with what I was trying to say. All HDMI cables are the same, more expensive ones are really just a waste of money.

Thanks for editing my original post though anyway that was mighty kind of you.