• 133 results
#1 Posted by Sammo21 (3250 posts) -

So it seems that anytime Asura's Wrath is brought up Jeff makes a comment about the game does what anime does all the time: sell the true, or real, ending to the anime separately months later. Now, I don't buy anime all the time nor do I keep up with every anime made, but this comment consistently makes me scratch my head. From what I can tell, at least from all the anime I've seen and own, this really isn't the case. The sell the anime just like television shows, in series, or if its a movie it will be by itself. You might have an OVA a while down the road but that's not really an ending, let a lone a true ending. Hell, sometimes an OVA is a remake of the show (like with the Hellsing Ultimate OVA). Considering I knew he's mentioned at least 3-4 times it just kind of blew my mind in a way that made me wonder if I was just clueless to how anime is sold now. I know the last bit of anime I purchased for my wife for Christmas and it was just like I remembered it when I bought it for myself: a boxed set of the series.

#2 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

Jeff is a jerk.

Oh you're not talking about that comment...

#3 Posted by Sammo21 (3250 posts) -

@TheKramer89: lol, what comment?

#4 Posted by TheKramer89 (423 posts) -

"Anime is for Jerks"

-Jeff Gerstmann

#5 Posted by TruthTellah (8716 posts) -

Jeff is simply making an incorrect conclusion due to lacking knowledge on the subject. Not a big deal.

#6 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

I'm curous about this.

How common is the whole 'sell the real ending later' thing?

#7 Posted by Chemin (632 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

Jeff is simply making an incorrect conclusion due to lacking knowledge on the subject. Not a big deal.

#8 Posted by Voxus (331 posts) -

Jeff has riled you up.

+1 Jeff.

#9 Posted by Jrinswand (1698 posts) -

Evangelion. That is all.

#10 Posted by Lokno (386 posts) -

I think he was just referring to the fact that anime tends to have a slower paced story, stretching out events over several episodes that something like Avatar would take care of in 20 minutes. So for that reason you'd have to buy into more of the show to get any kind of closure, where westerns shows have tighter story archs.

#11 Posted by htr10 (331 posts) -

Y'know, if you guys want to talk about anime, we have a site for that. Or do we? I'm actually not sure. Btw, who are we anymore? ...help...

#12 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

I'm anxious to see what sonic_the_hedgehog has to say on the matter.

#13 Posted by tourgen (4458 posts) -

@0blivion said:

Jeff has riled you up.

+1 Jeff.

#14 Posted by iTreefish (62 posts) -

Maybe he was referring to the fact that anime series (& other shows in Japan) are generally sold 1 or 2 episodes per disc & that each disc is extremely overpriced?

#15 Posted by Sammo21 (3250 posts) -

@iTreefish: I don't know. That's only if you decide to not wait for a full season, and honestly Western cartoons are sold the same way. Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes is sold in volumes of 3-5 episodes and they rarely put full seasons out for those titles.

@tourgen: @0blivion: Not really riled up or angry, just didn't know if it was a comment made from his ass or something that actually happened that I wasn't aware of. I typically only purchase any of the anime I might actually want in seasons opposed to going the whole "volume" route.

@Lokno: All depends on the anime, really. Most seasons contain a full story arc, its just that in Japan a season is more than our typical 22-24 episodes. In Japan they count the season as high as 50 for some shows, but again that isn't everything. That's like saying Fringe is just extending things when it should have been 4 episodes long or something.

#16 Posted by TruthTellah (8716 posts) -

@Dany said:

I'm curous about this.

How common is the whole 'sell the real ending later' thing?

I've probably only seen that maybe twice in twenty years of anime. I'm sure there may be other examples, but for the vast majority, this is never a practice. When they sell additional episodes, they are generally just fluff or fanservice, not the "true" endings. Most additional content isn't even considered canon to the series.

#17 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

They all sounded like idiots when they said anime does it constantly.

#18 Posted by Hailinel (24256 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

The day Jeff becomes an informed source about anime is the day that the world implodes.

#19 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

Fact-checking ruins bombcast.

#20 Posted by Demoskinos (14717 posts) -

They don't so much "sell endings later" as a lot of times seasons will just abruptly end in weird spots which isn't really too different from regular TV. You wanna set up the next season so people come back.

#21 Posted by TruthTellah (8716 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@TruthTellah said:

The day Jeff becomes an informed source about anime is the day that the world implodes.

ha. I think all duders should set out to inform Jeff on anime for this sole purpose.

#22 Posted by Sammo21 (3250 posts) -

@hughesman: Fact checking the Bombcast would kill Patrick. 3/4 of what he says would come back to haunt him, lol.

#23 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

misinformation on the bombcast, thats never happened before

#24 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@Sammo21: I watch anime from time to time so I don't follow a whole lot, but Evanglion is the only real example that comes to mind. There were very specific reasons for that. From what I know the animation studio Gainax was going under and Evangelion ran short on budget. The last few episodes have a dip in animation quality and the ending comes out of no where. But then the series became insanely popular and that aloud them to make the movie.

Full Metal Alchemists conclusion was a OVA right? Then they made brother hood. Usually if anime has a movie after it though it isn't vital to enjoying the show.

@Lokno: I can't think of many western cartoons that have story arcs, usually an episode happens and then by the end of the episode everything is reset, no one develops in anyway except for Avatar or the Venture Bros.

Things like One Piece, Naruto and Dragon Ball can take forever to get things done because they can't get ahead of the manga. But shit gets done in shows that have 26 episodes like Gurren Lagann and Death Note. I doubt that is what Jeff is talking about though.

#25 Posted by manicproblematic (77 posts) -

@0blivion said:

Jeff has riled you up.

+1 Jeff.

That "Anime is for jerks" comment cracked me up when I heard it first... seems fitting he'd be all up in Anime's face being back in the GS building and all...

I like some Anime can't stand a lot of it myself!

#26 Posted by Nephrahim (1121 posts) -

The original FMA Anime is a case of this. They did sell the ending to that "Story" separately in the shamballa movie, but it's definitely the exception and not the rule.

Firefly did it too, but I'd never say that TV Shows have a habit of it.

The bombcast gets things wrong sometimes, happens on most podcasts that are just recorded off the cuff. Try listening to the drunktank sometimes, they don't even get in the ballpark half the time.

#27 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@Hailinel said:

@TruthTellah said:

ha. I think all duders should set out to inform Jeff on anime for this sole purpose.

Are you saying Jeff causes human Instrumentality? The End of Gerstmangelion. ughh.

THANK YOU, MY FATHER.

GOODBYE, MY MOTHER.

AND TO ALL THE DUDERS...

CONGRATULATIONS!

#28 Posted by Animasta (14667 posts) -

Aren't they selling the true end stuff in the persona 4 anime

#29 Posted by onan (1284 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@TruthTellah said:

Go ahead, ask him anything about anime.

#30 Posted by TruthTellah (8716 posts) -

@Nottle: After the North Korea trip, I feel like your userpic should now be of Drew behind the moustache and military garb instead of Light Yagami.

#31 Posted by Pibo47 (3166 posts) -

A) Yes they are selling the real ending later. That is bullshit.

B) Anime is for jerks.

That is all children.

#32 Posted by YukoAsho (2014 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

This.

Jeff trying to paint it as something broader than "Capcom's full of shit," is disheartening. Sometimes the best answer is indeed the simple one.

#33 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

I'm pretty sure he said it for the sole purpose of gathering all the anime fans in one thread to make the group jerk bannings easier...

I kid, I kid!

#34 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@Nottle: After the North Korea trip, I feel like your userpic should now be of Drew behind the moustache and military garb instead of Light Yagami.

If only my mac had good image editing software like Mircrosoft paint.

#35 Posted by theuselessgod (301 posts) -

@Jrinswand said:

Evangelion. That is all.
#36 Posted by Hailinel (24256 posts) -

@theuselessgod said:

@Jrinswand said:

Evangelion. That is all.

The original Evangelion TV series had an ending. It was boggling in its philosophical nature, but it was an ending. The movie End of Evangelion is a completely separate production that takes the place of the original ending and was only produced because the fans went apeshit when the original ending aired. They even snuck shots of actual death threats that were sent to the director regarding the TV ending into the film.

#37 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11585 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@theuselessgod said:

@Jrinswand said:

Evangelion. That is all.

The original Evangelion TV series had an ending. It was boggling in its philosophical nature, but it was an ending. The movie End of Evangelion is a completely separate production that takes the place of the original ending and was only produced because the fans went apeshit when the original ending aired. They even snuck shots of actual death threats that were sent to the director regarding the TV ending into the film.

From what I was lead to understand, I thought that they ran out of money and as a result had to make the ending the utterly insane mishmash of psychological/philosophical bullshit we know and are baffled by today. Of course, considering that End of Evangelion trades that for mind rape, maybe I do prefer the non-conclusion to the conclusion where everyone gets turned into orange goo and the world is destroyed and giant naked rei and what the hell just happened and O___O (How Disgusting?). Considering the batshit craziness that Rebuild 2.0 ended on, I'm wondering how they'll top either of those.

On topic: Jeff is wrong about a lot of things. That being said, the last episode of the Persona 4 Anime (showcasing the "True" ending) is totally being held back for the DVD/Blu Ray release. Obviously they wrapped it up with the normal "good" ending (which I think is in some ways stronger than "It was a malevolent deity the whole time!"), but it seems clear that episode 26, whatever it actually ends up being, was planned like this in advance. Obviously, it's more an outlier, but let's not pretend like there isn't some factual basis for their misinformed claims.

#38 Posted by JasonR86 (9649 posts) -

Jeff kind of sounded like the old white guy yelling about the new things he doesn't understand. Sort of like those old white guys who think the internet is for pedophiles, slackers, and murder-simulators for children honing their skills. I'm not saying what Jeff said is wrong. I have no idea. He just sounded like an old grumpy white yelling at 'that there new stuff the kids have'.

#39 Posted by YukoAsho (2014 posts) -

@ArbitraryWater said:

On topic: Jeff is wrong about a lot of things. That being said, the last episode of the Persona 4 Anime (showcasing the "True" ending) is totally being held back for the DVD/Blu Ray release. Obviously they wrapped it up with the normal "good" ending (which I think is in some ways stronger than "It was a malevolent deity the whole time!"), but it seems clear that episode 26, whatever it actually ends up being, was planned like this in advance. Obviously, it's more an outlier, but let's not pretend like there isn't some factual basis for their misinformed claims.

Well, we all know it's an outlier, but I think that's the issue people have with Jeff's statement. He tried to make it sound like the normal way anime is made, and that's just not the case. It'd be like saying all games hold their endings back based on Asura's Wrath.

#40 Posted by Commisar123 (1790 posts) -

There are a few cases of the final episode only being on DVD, but that is rare. It is far more common for seasons to end or sometimes finish without a resolution which makes you want to come back for an OVA, movie, or other season.

#41 Edited by YukoAsho (2014 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@theuselessgod said:

@Jrinswand said:

Evangelion. That is all.

Oh man, I remember those days. At least Retake Mass Effect didn't go that far.

#42 Posted by Slab64 (1054 posts) -

Regardless of the endings issue, is it still the case that anime DVDs are a bad value? As in, very few episodes per disc and overpriced? One of the few series I have purchased was FLCL, the whole series was six episodes, and each volume was two episodes, full priced. And apparently in Japan each disc was only ONE episode. Wtf is that shit?

#43 Posted by Hailinel (24256 posts) -

@YukoAsho said:

@Hailinel said:

@theuselessgod said:

@Jrinswand said:

Evangelion. That is all.

Oh man, I remember those days. At least Retake Mass Effect didn't go that far.

We can only hope. Otherwise I expect that the ME3 Extended Cut ending will feature Shepard strangling a maimed, bandaged [insert love interest here] against the backdrop of James Vega's giant head floating in the sea.

#44 Posted by Bocam (3705 posts) -

Steins;gate, Persona 4, Bakemonogatari, C3, Angel Beats, Durarara, and Baccano. (Just to name a few off the top of my head) This happens a lot in Japan.

#45 Posted by Doctorchimp (4073 posts) -

Someone point to me where it said Jeff started Anime Vice when he was fired from Gamespot

#46 Posted by Hailinel (24256 posts) -

@Slab64 said:

Regardless of the endings issue, is it still the case that anime DVDs are a bad value? As in, very few episodes per disc and overpriced? One of the few series I have purchased was FLCL, the whole series was six episodes, and each volume was two episodes, full priced. And apparently in Japan each disc was only ONE episode. Wtf is that shit?

Commonly, OVA series are produced only one or two episodes at a time. Production and sales of future episodes depends on the successful sales of earlier volumes. (i.e.: In Japan, they sold episodes of FLCL one to a disc because they literally published each episode before the following one was completed.)

#47 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

@Slab64 said:

Aren't a lot of DVDs usually bad deal, especially movies? You should probably wait to get the entire series. Right now the bluray for FLCL on amazon is 20 bucks, about the price of a movie that would be the same length.

#48 Posted by Coafi (1483 posts) -
#49 Edited by MyNiceIceLife (618 posts) -

@Animasta said:

Aren't they selling the true end stuff in the persona 4 anime

Yes they are. Supposed to come out some time in September, which hopefully Sentai holds off on releasing the English Blu-ray so it's included and we don't have to buy a separate disc just for the true ending.

But it does happen a fair amount. They like to put out extra stuff (OVA's), movies, or even the real ending that you only get if you buy something special. It's kinda sad how expensive it is to get a entire series over in japan. Even though it seems expensive here, we do get a hell of a deal.

#50 Posted by MisterSamMan (363 posts) -

The Persona 4 anime ended with the good ending, but at the end of that episode, it advertised the true ending as part of the final Blu-ray release of the anime. Same thing occur with the series Oreimo. So Jeff isn't entirely off-base, but those are the only examples that come to mind. However, if you want to complain about something. Selling a 12-episode anime across 4+ volumes is ridiculous.