#1 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

I started playing Persona 4 for the Vita and so far I am quite enjoying it. I'm about three and a half hours in and the game is starting to open up a bit more. But I have one question that is on my mind, is this a game that has multiple endings and hurring through the game, like deciding to come back to a dungeon, can result in not finishing that dungeon and you lose the game early on? Is this a game that hurring through days and not having a guide at my side to know what to do on each day, can result in losing the game early on and having to start over, or getting to the end of the game and not seeing the ending? I just wanted that cleared up, so I can be more prepared when playing the game. Thanks in advance.

#2 Posted by Animasta (14675 posts) -

they'll telegraph when you need to finish the dungeons ahead of time (if there is 1 1/2 or more days of rain, than get on that shit before then).

#3 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

@Animasta: Good to know. Thanks!

#4 Posted by IrrelevantJohn (1062 posts) -

Even if you do mess things up and not save the person, Igor will rewind time back a week so you will have another chance. 1 week is more then enough to finish a dungeon but probably not enough for a lot of social linking + dungeon.

#5 Posted by HH (609 posts) -

I'm intrigued by this game, if I can piggyback this thread, can someone tell me how anime it is? only other anime game I've played is valkyria chronicles, and by the end I found the characters utterly nauseating, couldn't watch the cut scenes at all, they actually creeped me out. would this game be tolerable for someone like me?

#6 Posted by Irvandus (2877 posts) -

It's very anime but in a much more charming way than most Anime. You will find all of the main characters tolerable except maybe Teddy probably. As someone not that into anime I fully endorse the persona series.

#7 Edited by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

@MrPilkington: You really don't need to worry about messing it up until later in the game. For something to look at later in the game, check out this Spoiler Free guide to getting the best ending which was actually made by a fellow Giant Bomb duder: http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/persona-4-ending-guide-spoiler-free/1277/

@HH: P4 has some of my favorite characters in any game, and I liked them more as time went on. It's very anime(thus them later making an anime from it), but in the best way possible. They're not just annoying caricatures. Some characters might be annoying at times early on, but that's actually part of the story. The characters grow and improve, and by the end, you'll actually be wanting more time with them.

#8 Posted by mwng (931 posts) -
@HH said:
I'm intrigued by this game, if I can piggyback this thread, can someone tell me how anime it is? only other anime game I've played is valkyria chronicles, and by the end I found the characters utterly nauseating, couldn't watch the cut scenes at all, they actually creeped me out. would this game be tolerable for someone like me?
Valkyria Chronicles is pretty tame as jrpgs go (other than the fucking pig thing). So I think you might struggle with P4, watch the start of the endurance run maybe?
#9 Posted by JoeyRavn (4969 posts) -

@HH said:

I haven't played it yet, but if Persona 3 Portable is any of indication, probably not. It sounds like you'll hate any Persona game, especially the latest two with the Social Link system.

You can always watch an episode or two of the Endurance Run to see if the game clicks with you, though.

#10 Posted by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

@HH said:

I haven't played it yet, but if Persona 3 Portable is any of indication, probably not. It sounds like you'll hate any Persona game, especially the latest two with the Social Link system.

You can always watch an episode or two of the Endurance Run to see if the game clicks with you, though.

I'd say P4's characters are a bit more accessible than P3. Though, I think you'd have to really -hate- anime to have good reason to avoid P4. That doesn't sound like the case here.

#11 Posted by endaround (2144 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@HH said:

I'd say P4's characters are a bit more accessible than P3. Though, I think you'd have to really -hate- anime to have good reason to avoid P4. That doesn't sound like the case here.

P3 sticks really closely to anime tropes while P4 subverts them. That being said, if you couldn't stand Valkyria Chronicles (assuming its the 1st one) you would likely hate P4,

#12 Posted by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

@endaround said:

@TruthTellah said:

@JoeyRavn said:

@HH said:

P3 sticks really closely to anime tropes while P4 subverts them. That being said, if you couldn't stand Valkyria Chronicles (assuming its the 1st one) you would likely hate P4,

I'd say even Valkyria Chronicles was a lot more "anime" than P4. P4 has the aesthetics, but its characters actually improve instead of just being specific tropes that can grind on you after a while. That's what ultimately leads to you wanting to have even more time with them once the game ends.

#13 Edited by HH (609 posts) -

i found valkyria chronicles fine for a while, but then late in the game this weird sentimental cheesiness between the two main characters seemed to take over.

i mean it is a bit of an effort for me to deal with the whole hairdos and kiddieness look of anime, but i can do it in the name of good gameplay, and i do like sim elements a lot in games.

you know, it might help too if i could actually play a hater character, someone that doesn't have to deal with all that overt friendliness, is that possible?

#14 Posted by TruthTellah (8826 posts) -

@HH: ha. Well, you can't really just play a jerk, but you can be mostly aloof. Though, it isn't a game with ridiculous people with pink hair and nonsense. The characters are just appealing and more realistic than most anime characters. It's well written. I'd say you won't get burnt out on them.

Unless you -hate- anime(which it sounds like you don't), I wouldn't let some concern over the style keep you away from one of the best RPGs ever.

#15 Edited by Turambar (6742 posts) -

@HH said:

Without knowing exactly what it was about the characters in VC that "creeped you out", its kind of hard to say. It has a drastically different animation and presentation style, with most cut scenes involve dialogue spoken by talking heads on the screen.

If you were annoyed by the lovey dovey nature of Welkin and Alicia's relationship, you're not going to find much different about the P4 characters. This isn't exactly a game where you can play the contrarian asshole without being severely handicapped as social links depends on your ability to get along with other characters in the game.

#16 Posted by MrPilkington (722 posts) -

@Irvandus: I can't help but love Teddy. I can understand how he may be annoying at times, but I just love the little guy.