Question about Phantasy Star Portable

RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By RoxasXIII

Hi everyone, I'm here to ask people who own this game whether its any good or not. I go to a boarding school in the middle of nowhere and tomorrow I have the chance to go to a mall so I'm thinking about getting it since I only have a psp with me here, and it looks like a good game too. Also, if anyone knows the price of it (tax included) that would be nice. Thanks!

Eder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 43

#2  Edited By Eder

I still need to get this game. But I did play Phantasy Star Universe and its practicaly the same gameplay. The game is a very nice Action RPG and is even better when played with more players. You can choose 4 different races: Humans, Casts (Androids), Beasts and Newmen (Elves). The class system works very well with a mix of 3 types (Spellcaster, Ranger, Hunter) that can be upgraded to the style of your choice. There might be a lot of grinding but thats the way these games roll. If you like Action JRPGs or games like Monster Hunter this ones for you.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By oldschool

I'm no help, but I will try.

It is about $48 US imported and of course I have no idea what it costs inside the USA:

As for the reviews, this so far and from that you can probably braw your own conclusions:

1UP
Any port that makes me consider giving the source material another spin is worth the price of admission any day. 
GameDaily
This one doesn't break new ground, but Sega did nice work bringing its addictive RPG to the portable arena. 
IGN
Despite its problems, including a terribly lackluster story, poor AI and imperfect lock-ons, Phantasy Star Portable is really satisfying, especially if you enjoy collecting loot and seeing your deliciously fashionable robo-wizard level up. 
RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By RoxasXIII

Hey thanks a lot guys! I appreciate it a lot and its helped me decide that I want to get it. Now if anyone has an estimated price, that would be great too. I'm on a bit of a low budget so I need to know if I'll actually have enough money.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#5  Edited By AgentJ

I'd say, if you have a DS, save your money for Phantasy Star Zero, coming out later this year.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By Jayge_

It's like 43 bucks with tax. It's a pretty good game. The single-player is fun, and you can run through all of the multiplayer content by yourself if you want to (characters also transfer over) so there is hundreds of hours of solo and multi content for you to access. The story is stupid, the graphics are pretty good, the gameplay is fun. It's definitely better than Phantasy Star Universe. And definitely don't wait for Phantasy Star 0, which is a bunch of super-low-poly chibi shit that controls much worse.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By weltal

There's a Quick Look up.... it looks like shit but I don't have any nostalgia for the series so it might just not be for me.

RoxasXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RoxasXIII

Yeah I don't have a DS, so I will definitely not be getting that one. But thanks a lot Jayge, its been awhile since I bought a psp game so I just needed a refresher on the cost. I saw the quick look and felt stupid because as soon as I posted this topic, the quick look went up. But it still pays off to get some user input!! 

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AgentJ
Jayge said:
"It's like 43 bucks with tax. It's a pretty good game. The single-player is fun, and you can run through all of the multiplayer content by yourself if you want to (characters also transfer over) so there is hundreds of hours of solo and multi content for you to access. The story is stupid, the graphics are pretty good, the gameplay is fun. It's definitely better than Phantasy Star Universe. And definitely don't wait for Phantasy Star 0, which is a bunch of super-low-poly chibi shit that controls much worse."
Lol, everyone I've heard from has said skip PhSP and get PS0, but your well thought out point is taken.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayge_
AgentJ said:
"Jayge said:
"It's like 43 bucks with tax. It's a pretty good game. The single-player is fun, and you can run through all of the multiplayer content by yourself if you want to (characters also transfer over) so there is hundreds of hours of solo and multi content for you to access. The story is stupid, the graphics are pretty good, the gameplay is fun. It's definitely better than Phantasy Star Universe. And definitely don't wait for Phantasy Star 0, which is a bunch of super-low-poly chibi shit that controls much worse."
Lol, everyone I've heard from has said skip PhSP and get PS0, but your well thought out point is taken.
"
Funny, I've always heard the exact opposite.
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By AgentJ
Jayge said:
"AgentJ said:
"Jayge said:
"
Funny, I've always heard the exact opposite.
"
I'm honestly just curious, so I'd like to see a preview from somebody who though the controls were bad. Btw are the characters really chibi? They looked pretty normal from where i was standing.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jayge_
AgentJ said:
I'm honestly just curious, so I'd like to see a preview from somebody who though the controls were bad. Btw are the characters really chibi? They looked pretty normal from where i was standing."
I'm pretty sure the characters are all chibi. I haven't actually played 0 yet; but I'll definitely buy it- I don't trash talk a game that I haven't played or won't be playing. It's a policy. I have gleaned from sources who I trust that the controls are ultimately worse on the DS, so that's what I'm going by for now. Feel free to disagree. I really have no evidence of my own (yet).
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By AgentJ

I obviously haven't played it either, but i really like the ability to write messages using the bottom screen during combat and such. I can't see how they would really screw up the controls, but IGN has me hoping for teh best.

No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided