Question about switching to a TV for PC gaming

invadernick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By invadernick

Hi guys, I'm about o get a new 42 inch 3D tv for my room and i'm thinking about hooking it up to my consoles and PC. Is there anything I might need to improve on my PC specs wise to accommodate the new screen? Some guys have mentioned i might need to get a new video card, but i'm running GTX560 TI and my processor is a i5-2400 @ 3.10GHz. Would that be good enough? :/

Terramagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Terramagi

You'll be fine. Don't think of your TV as some mythological beast. Think of it as a larger monitor. If your card can handle 1920 × 1080 (which, unless the game you're playing was coded by monkeys, YOU CAN), you can handle it.

mwng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By mwng

Sounds fine to me, I use a 560 TI for a 32" screen, though you'll probably be sitting awful close for a 42 inch screen.

Also if you're using a 560 TI, you'll probably need some sort of mini HDMI adapter (does it come with one? I forget).

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By DeF

Get some glasses or binoculars if you're gonna sit far away. Text is gonna be TINY.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By korwin

A few things to be aware of for TV based PC gaming.

• If your TV has some form of "PC Mode" for an input ensure that is enabled and required input is used. This will normally disable all of the image processing you would normally receive on that input allowing for a lower level of latency and unmodified picture
  • Nvidia currently has a problem with detecting/displaying full range RGB over HDMI, this results in black level "crushing". This is essentially a loss of low end and high end light detail (dark textures and shadows essentially get crushed into a single shade of black). In order to work around this bug (it's been going on for something close to a year now) you will need to modify the drivers you install to for 0-255 RGB range over HDMI.
  • If using a receiver ensure that the input you are running HDMI through is set to a "Game" mode or some other form of low latency mode. Some units also come with a full or limited RGB range option, ensure this is set to full on the required input.
  • For HDMI audio, ensure that the audio settings for your HDMI out in windows is set to use the full functionality of your setup (Number of Speakers, range and bit rate). This can be done under the control panel sound options

Fix for Nvidia Full Range RGB Detection Bug

Unfortunately unlike consoles PC games are not typically built with limited RGB colour space in mind, as a result not running in full range RGB leads to a loss of low light details. In order to re-enable full range RGB through HDMI on nvidia cards you will need to add the following line to the nv_dispi.inf file included in the driver package.

• HKR,,SetDefaultFullRGBRangeOnHDMI,%REG_DWORD%,1

The nv_dispi.inf file is accessable under the extracted driver installer folder created when you first unpack the Nvidia driver (e.g. C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\310.33\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\Display.Driver). Once located open the file using note pad and locate the following section in the INF

• nv_miscBase_addreg__01

Copy the provided entry listed above and paste it under this section of the INF file. Once done continue through all other instances of the "nv_miscBase_addreg__" section (numbered 02, 03, 04 etc) making sure to past the RGB option under each one, there are approx 40 of these.

Once completed manually run the setup.exe for the extracted driver package (e.g. C:\NVIDIA\DisplayDriver\310.33\Win8_WinVista_Win7_64\International\setup.exe). During the install process you may be warned about the driver you are attempting to install (no valid signature), this is the result of your earlier modifications and as such there is no problem proceeding with the install anyway.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By tourgen

Even better if your TV has a VGA input use that over HDMI. It looks just as good. And less opportunity for lag caused by buffered frames in the HDMI digital magic voodoo snakepit.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

A video card upgrade might not be an awful idea, that is a low/mid end card and the bigger that display gets, the more you'll notice the flaws of lower graphical settings, and aliasing will also show up more. You'll run it just as well as your monitor assuming you don't have a real shitty screen though.

invadernick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By invadernick

Thanks so much for the feedback guys, I'll be moving back to my new digs in about a month, will let you know how it all goes!

Bwast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By Bwast

Are you looking to do 3D gaming? If you are that card might struggle a bit. How much VRAM does it have?

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By ajamafalous

Wait, why are people telling you that card won't work? I have a GTX 560Ti and I max/nearly max almost all games at 1920x1080.

Icemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Icemo

@ajamafalous said:

Wait, why are people telling you that card won't work? I have a GTX 560Ti and I max/nearly max almost all games at 1920x1080.

I agree, that card is still good for new games. And it is multiple times better than what 360 and ps3 have for gpu's.

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zeforgotten
@Icemo said:

@ajamafalous said:

I agree, that card is still good for new games. And it is multiple times better than what 360 and ps3 have for gpu's.

It's just people who think they know what they're talking about. 
Happens on all forums
TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By TyCobb

@DeF said:

Get some glasses or binoculars if you're gonna sit far away. Text is gonna be TINY.

That's why there are DPI settings.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DeF

@TyCobb said:

@DeF said:

There are? Where? How do they magically make the font in, for example, The Witcher 2 bigger when there are dedicated mods floating around for that game to do exactly that?

Zella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zella

I use a 32" 1080p LG tv for my pc with only a 550GTX Ti so you should be fine.

TyCobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16  Edited By TyCobb

@DeF said:

@TyCobb said:

@DeF said:

There are? Where? How do they magically make the font in, for example, The Witcher 2 bigger when there are dedicated mods floating around for that game to do exactly that?

I was referring to Windows DPI settings since that is where most people have issues with font size when running through the TV. You didn't mention anything about game text being tiny so I figured you were talking about just Windows.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DeF

@TyCobb said:

@DeF said:

@TyCobb said:

@DeF said:

I was referring to Windows DPI settings since that is where most people have issues with font size when running through the TV. You didn't mention anything about game text being tiny so I figured you were talking about just Windows.

Why would we not be talking about games here? :)

duder123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By duder123

The performance will be exactly the same assuming you play at the same resolution.