Question concerning the NES (all contributions appriciated)

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Aas

Hi, so I was wondering if an American NES will work in Europe? I'm thinking mostly about the compatibility with TVs and electrical sockets although maybe I'm also overlooking something. 

Thank you in advance, Aas.

Seedofpower

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By Seedofpower

No, unless you have a power adapter (The big brick thing that plugs into the wall, that you plug the power strip into).

I have no idea about the TVs.

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Aas

I assume I could solve the power issue with adapters. TV compatibility is really what I'm curious about.

Avatar image for supersecretagenda
SuperSecretAgenda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SuperSecretAgenda
@Aas said:
" I assume I could solve the power issue with adapters. TV compatibility is really what I'm curious about. "
You can solve the power issue with adapters, yes. I'm...not too sure about the TV. Sorry.
CharleyTony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By CharleyTony

not sure but  I think the signal for the tv will be different... 50HZ (Europe - PAL) vs 60Hz (America - NTSC)...   different resolutions too...

maybe newer TVs can handle it but back in the the CRT days, I am pretty sure you would need a signal converter 

http://www.wisegeek.com    /what-is-the-difference-between-ntsc-and-pal.htm 
(1st link when you google "PAL NTSC Difference")

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By fwylo

Haha before I read the whole post I was like damn this guy is ridiculous.  Obviously they didn't region code games back the day...  

But then I realized.

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Aas
@fwylo said:
" Haha before I read the whole post I was like damn this guy is ridiculous.  Obviously they didn't region code games back the day...    But then I realized. "
I made the exact same realization last night.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

Assuming you don't have an old ass TV without 60hz support (traditionally UK TV's 50Hz, but most modern TV's will support 60Hz) I'd guess it will be fine. But I don't know for sure.

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By yakov456

I could be wrong but I think there would be a problem with the t.v. signal.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Mmmslash

Most modern TV's handle this issue fine, the real problem is the power adapter.

Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Aas
@Mmmslash said:
" Most modern TV's handle this issue fine, the real problem is the power adapter. "
Would that really pose a problem? I have an American GBA and I can use it's charger simply by adding a standard adapter.
voodooterror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By voodooterror

most PAL tv's can take NTSC or whatever it is without any problem

destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By destruktive
@Aas: 
If you are using a newer tv, no problem. Only thing is that you need a power converter.  

I use this one:  http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14322  Works wonders with my japanese dreamcast so wouldn't have any problems with anything older that you throw at it. 
You just need to get an adapter for the socket. that shouldn't be too hard to find.
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By nintendoeats
@destruktive said:
" @Aas: 
If you are using a newer tv, no problem. Only thing is that you need a power converter.  

I use this one:  http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14322  Works wonders with my japanese dreamcast so wouldn't have any problems with anything older that you throw at it.  You just need to get an adapter for the socket. that shouldn't be too hard to find. "
I second this. I lived in the middle east for two years and all of our NTSC stuff worked on the crap tv that we had in the apartment. My experiences going in the other direction haven't been as good.

Only one thing though, since the NES uses an adaptor there is no reason that you couldn't get a 220v rated adapter that outputs the same power. just check the wattage and amperage and find a similar one that is rated for  both 110 and 220. You should be able to get one very easily on this side of the pond.
destruktive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By destruktive
@nintendoeats said:
" @destruktive said:
" @Aas: 

I use this one:  http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.14322  Works wonders with my japanese dreamcast so wouldn't have any problems with anything older that you throw at it.  You just need to get an adapter for the socket. that shouldn't be too hard to find. "
I second this. I lived in the middle east for two years and all of our NTSC stuff worked on the crap tv that we had in the apartment. My experiences going in the other direction haven't been as good.  Only one thing though, since the NES uses an adaptor there is no reason that you couldn't get a 220v rated adapter that outputs the same power. just check the wattage and amperage and find a similar one that is rated for  both 110 and 220. You should be able to get one very easily on this side of the pond. "
Yeah probably. 
Btw, NES and SNES adapter is the same :) so if you have a snes you're safe
Aas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Aas

Thanks guys, can't wait to stomp on some goombas again! Although Duck Hunt will remain unplayable.