Question For Game Programmers

gormanator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By gormanator

I'm looking to get into some game programming, and seeing what I can do, just for fun and to see if I can maybe push something out on some marketplace. I know Java and C#, have a pretty good knowledge of object-oriented programming, some basic data structures and such, was wondering if anyone had tips where I should go from here to improve my skills. Any tips and such would be appreciated. Thank

SoylentGreen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SoylentGreen

Are you just starting to learn about game programming? Write some clones of old games. Pong, Pac-Man, and especially Tetris are all great for teaching the ropes. If you're familiar with C#, I'd suggest using XNA; the tools are free, and it's actually pretty good for going from concept to prototype fairly quickly.

Even if you're not a beginner at writing games, you should still learn by writing games; try cloning more advanced ones, or creating your own.

farmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By farmer

The best way to learn is to practice. Just make some stuff and see how it goes. If you get bored of a project, stop. If you need help, I'm sure there are plenty in this forum willing to help you.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513
deactivated-5ff27cb4e1513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been doing this for the last two years: http://globalgamejam.org/

I'll probably switch over to doing this, since I've graduated, and gathering friends to make a game in a 48 hour timeframe is significantly more difficult now: http://ludumdare.com/

These events just provide some sort of context to me taking time out of my schedule to make a game. I have a few game-related projects I'd like to get off the ground, and the easiest way to get better is to start chiseling away at a project you love.

YOUNGLINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By YOUNGLINK

I tried once. Never again. Good luck though.