#1 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

It seems like Voxels (3D pixels aka cubes) are on the rise again. They've recently popped up again - in ResoGun and EverQuest Next - in both instances in correlation with destructible environments (I adore destructible environments). Which brings me to...

Question 1: How capable are the next gen consoles, specifically the PS4, at working with Voxels? What can we expect to see? Is expecting Everquest Next on PS4 realistic or wishful thinking?

In a recent hands-on with Battlefield 4 on PS4 on IGN, the writer reports muddy textures, which has me wondering...

Question 2: Shouldn't PS4 be able to handle Ultra Textures? Aren't Ultra Textures just a matter of memory bandwidth and overall memory, and not really dependent on CPU and GPU performance? In terms of memory bandwidth and overall memory, the PS4 is almost as potent as a Titan GTX. Am I wrong to expect Ultra Textures on PS4?

#2 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@seppli: Titan has a 6Gbps memory interface that is 384-bits wide. PS4 is a 5.5Gbps interface that is 256-bits wide. So Titan would be at 163% of a PS4's bandwidth.

But I do not think there is a rigorous definition for "Ultra Textures" ; in most situations it refers to modded/developer high-resolution ones for PC versions. You would expect at least nice textures at 1080p if you compare it to similar PC GPU - especially when being a console theoretically gives some advantage there. Its probably a bit early to read to far into any of these releases.

No idea on the voxels thing.

#3 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@seppli: Titan has a 6Gbps memory interface that is 384-bits wide. PS4 is a 5.5Gbps interface that is 256-bits wide. So Titan would be at 163% of a PS4's bandwidth.

But I do not think there is a rigorous definition for "Ultra Textures" ; in most situations it refers to modded/developer high-resolution ones for PC versions. You would expect at least nice textures at 1080p if you compare it to similar PC GPU - especially when being a console theoretically gives some advantage there. Its probably a bit early to read to far into any of these releases.

#5 Posted by GreggD (4507 posts) -

@seppli said:

It seems like Voxels (3D pixels aka cubes) are on the rise again.

You're goddamn right, they are.

#6 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

@zekhariah said:

The question is, are higher resolution textures dependent on CPU/GPU performance, or primarily on overall capacity and speed of memory? I only used the 1,000$ expensive Titan GTX as a comparison, merely because the PS4 has comparable memory capabilities, due to its architecture. Memory-wise, it's statistically more potent than a majority of modern PC graphics cards out there.

As far as I can tell, as an absolute layman, texture quality is driven almost exclusively by the quantity and speed of the memory on a graphics card, and not by how performant the GPU/CPU of the system is. Or do higher resolution textures increase the strain on CPU/GPU in a similar fashion as higher polycounts and rendering resolutions and such? Because if not, I don't understand why Battlefield 4 wouldn't use its shiniest textures in the PS4 iteration of the game.

#8 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4419 posts) -

@seppli said:

@zekhariah said:

The question is, are higher resolution textures dependent on CPU/GPU performance, or primarily on overall capacity and speed of memory? I only used the 1,000$ expensive Titan GTX as a comparison, merely because the PS4 has comparable memory capabilities, due to its architecture. Memory-wise, it's statistically more potent than a majority of modern PC graphics cards out there.

As far as I can tell, as an absolute layman, texture quality is driven almost exclusively by the quantity and speed of the memory on a graphics card, and not by how performant the GPU/CPU of the system is. Or do higher resolution textures increase the strain on CPU/GPU in a similar fashion as higher polycounts and rendering resolutions and such? Because if not, I don't understand why Battlefield 4 wouldn't use its shiniest textures in the PS4 iteration of the game.

I'm not an expert so what I know is based on what I've read elsewhere and my understanding is that it depends on both. Let's say I went ahead with a 4 gig 770 (ignore the smaller bandwidth in relation to the Titan) it would sound good that I have more memory for the game to render more textures but even if it can push more that doesn't necessarily guarantee the best framerate because the card still needs to be strong enough to handle what is being rendered.

That's why I went ahead with getting a 2 gig 770 and I don't plan on upgrading till the power of future cards and large memory/bandwidth meet together to form the perfect combination that can carry your PC through most of the rest of the next-gen cycle. That's my plan anyway

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

What the hell are ultra textures? Are they "mapping the entire Earthbound Zero overworld as a single texture"?

#10 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4419 posts) -

What the hell are ultra textures? Are they "mapping the entire Earthbound Zero overworld as a single texture"?

There're just very high resolution textures, saying ultra makes it sound cooler.