Quick Blog: Rock Band 2 Hits Europe & 20% Discount Dilemma!

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

Edited By MachoFantastico

ROCK BAND 2 HITS EUROPE AND 20% DISCOUNT DILEMMA

So this past week as finally seen the release of Harmonix/EA's much celebrated music rhythm game Rock Band 2 here in Europe. Much like it's older brother, the original as taken a good couple of months to reach our shores and I still have to wonder why when it's simply just a disc. Anyways, so that's what I've been playing this weekend for stupid amounts of hours. I am indeed addicted, sadly the game recieved a bumby launch over here in the UK with some shops not getting enough copies to meet demand and there were all sorts of other issues along the way. Thankfully I was able to get a copy through Ebay at a very good price aswell. So I've been loving it so far, a great soundtrack and easily the defining version of Rock Band so far. But of course most American's already know this. But it is one of the must have games this Christmas and it blows Guitar Hero: World Tour out of the water. Even if areas can feel a little to familar. But with Rock Band 2 launching I have also found myself spending way to much Microsoft Points on content, I hadn't picked up any songs or tracks for a good four or five months so it was kind of nice to see what had been released. I downloaded me some Foo Fighters Album DLC and Red Hot Chilli Peppers not to mention a whole basket full of smaller songs. There was also the twenty free tunes that hit a few weeks back to bolster my collection on Rock Band. I haven't actually checked how many songs I have now as I've been way to busy in Tour Mode but I'd easily say it's over three hundrred if not nearer the four hundred mark. I still have my complaints, anything lower then hard differculty is still way to easy and dull, there doesn't seem to be a great amount of extra clothes or gaphical touches along the way but to be totally fair these compliants all feel a little pathetic against a game that is superbly well made. Even though my hate for Harmonix (or HMX as it's trendy to say these days) is still burning bright in my soul. But whatever you think of the developer or publisher, it's a great game and I highly recommend it. 

That's what I call fashion sense!
Despite my many hours of Rock Band 2, I have been fighting the battle of what game to pick up next week. It's a long story but basically I will be able to recieve a 20% discount from a local supermarket. In the past the 20% discount hasn't affected videogames, but this year they are added to that list and it seems to much of a good deal to turn down. Trouble is I continue to fight on which game to pick up, there once was a time when I wouldn't even need to consider picking up a Football Manager title but 2009 seems to be spliting the FM fanbase in two. I have a good few friends who are hardcore Football Manager fans and they all seem a little here and there when it comes to the newest game in the franchise. 2009 sees a number of huge changes, the biggest being the new 3D engine. Personally I was never a fan of it going 3D but I can understand the decision. The second game is Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts on 360. I was fond of the original titles but it seems they have almost totally thrown out the platforming functions. I think RARE are a great developer but I'm still in mixed minds about this one. I've read some solid to brilliant reviews while others have been surprisingly poor. I think it partly comes down to how you enter the game. If you think it's going to be classic Banjo-Kazooie platformer then you will be disappointed. But saying that I'm still not convinced the whole 'make a vehicle' concept suits Banjo-Kazooie. So I simply don't know. I've been a fan of the Football Manager series for a good long while now and it's still the best out there. But the latest installment as me worried. The series feels as if it's reached a roof and can't get past it just yet.

stats, you got to love em!
So maybe you can help dear readers, please tell me what you think of these two games from your experience of playing? I might give the demo of Banjo-Kazooie a little more time later on. I also want to mention something that was only recently drawn to my attention, I don't play many games online and even though I was determinded to play some Gears of War 2 online, I still haven't gotten around to doing so. What's with that then? I have noticed that I hardly play any games online nowadays even though I do purchase a Gold Membership every year for Xbox LIVE. There are very few games I play online and actually (sometimes just occasionally enjoy). These being Call of Duty 4(PC), LittleBigPlanet and sometimes World of Warcraft if I'm in the mood to rejoin. So why don't I find games like Gears of War 2 interesting to play online? it's something I keep wondering and I still don't have an answer for. Even games like Rock Band I don't play Online unless with friends partly due to the fact I still suck compared to 99% of other RB players online and even Left4Dead I've just not been in the mood to play since it launched. Maybe theres just something wrong with me.

Anyways, I've bored you enough.

Thanks for Reading,
Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent).

As got the beat!
As got the beat!

Avatar image for machofantastico
MachoFantastico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MachoFantastico

ROCK BAND 2 HITS EUROPE AND 20% DISCOUNT DILEMMA

So this past week as finally seen the release of Harmonix/EA's much celebrated music rhythm game Rock Band 2 here in Europe. Much like it's older brother, the original as taken a good couple of months to reach our shores and I still have to wonder why when it's simply just a disc. Anyways, so that's what I've been playing this weekend for stupid amounts of hours. I am indeed addicted, sadly the game recieved a bumby launch over here in the UK with some shops not getting enough copies to meet demand and there were all sorts of other issues along the way. Thankfully I was able to get a copy through Ebay at a very good price aswell. So I've been loving it so far, a great soundtrack and easily the defining version of Rock Band so far. But of course most American's already know this. But it is one of the must have games this Christmas and it blows Guitar Hero: World Tour out of the water. Even if areas can feel a little to familar. But with Rock Band 2 launching I have also found myself spending way to much Microsoft Points on content, I hadn't picked up any songs or tracks for a good four or five months so it was kind of nice to see what had been released. I downloaded me some Foo Fighters Album DLC and Red Hot Chilli Peppers not to mention a whole basket full of smaller songs. There was also the twenty free tunes that hit a few weeks back to bolster my collection on Rock Band. I haven't actually checked how many songs I have now as I've been way to busy in Tour Mode but I'd easily say it's over three hundrred if not nearer the four hundred mark. I still have my complaints, anything lower then hard differculty is still way to easy and dull, there doesn't seem to be a great amount of extra clothes or gaphical touches along the way but to be totally fair these compliants all feel a little pathetic against a game that is superbly well made. Even though my hate for Harmonix (or HMX as it's trendy to say these days) is still burning bright in my soul. But whatever you think of the developer or publisher, it's a great game and I highly recommend it. 

Despite my many hours of Rock Band 2, I have been fighting the battle of what game to pick up next week. It's a long story but basically I will be able to recieve a 20% discount from a local supermarket. In the past the 20% discount hasn't affected videogames, but this year they are added to that list and it seems to much of a good deal to turn down. Trouble is I continue to fight on which game to pick up, there once was a time when I wouldn't even need to consider picking up a Football Manager title but 2009 seems to be spliting the FM fanbase in two. I have a good few friends who are hardcore Football Manager fans and they all seem a little here and there when it comes to the newest game in the franchise. 2009 sees a number of huge changes, the biggest being the new 3D engine. Personally I was never a fan of it going 3D but I can understand the decision. The second game is Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts on 360. I was fond of the original titles but it seems they have almost totally thrown out the platforming functions. I think RARE are a great developer but I'm still in mixed minds about this one. I've read some solid to brilliant reviews while others have been surprisingly poor. I think it partly comes down to how you enter the game. If you think it's going to be classic Banjo-Kazooie platformer then you will be disappointed. But saying that I'm still not convinced the whole 'make a vehicle' concept suits Banjo-Kazooie. So I simply don't know. I've been a fan of the Football Manager series for a good long while now and it's still the best out there. But the latest installment as me worried. The series feels as if it's reached a roof and can't get past it just yet.

So maybe you can help dear readers, please tell me what you think of these two games from your experience of playing? I might give the demo of Banjo-Kazooie a little more time later on. I also want to mention something that was only recently drawn to my attention, I don't play many games online and even though I was determinded to play some Gears of War 2 online, I still haven't gotten around to doing so. What's with that then? I have noticed that I hardly play any games online nowadays even though I do purchase a Gold Membership every year for Xbox LIVE. There are very few games I play online and actually (sometimes just occasionally enjoy). These being Call of Duty 4(PC), LittleBigPlanet and sometimes World of Warcraft if I'm in the mood to rejoin. So why don't I find games like Gears of War 2 interesting to play online? it's something I keep wondering and I still don't have an answer for. Even games like Rock Band I don't play Online unless with friends partly due to the fact I still suck compared to 99% of other RB players online and even Left4Dead I've just not been in the mood to play since it launched. Maybe theres just something wrong with me.

Anyways, I've bored you enough.

Thanks for Reading,
Joseph Bayliss (TrueEnglishGent).

As got the beat!
As got the beat!

ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#2  Edited By ahoodedfigure

Whether or not building a vehicle fits banjo kazooie, does it fit you?  Does building vehicles for different situations sound like fun?

Does to me, but I realize it may not be everyone's idea of a good time.

BinaryDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By BinaryDragon

Dead Space.

For me Dead Space was the surprising hit of November, I thought it was going to suck. But like you I had a chance to get a discount on a game and got it for 3.50 at game. :D

I wrote a review of Dead Space if you need more convincing. :D

Happy hunting!