#1 Posted by qawsed (143 posts) -

The audio levels have been really ouch lately (Dorito's Crash Course 2, Way of the Dogg, War Logs). I'm no audio expert, but it sounds like something terrible has gone on with the gain or level compression. Mics are distorting and clipping (even when people aren't screaming), and it's fatiguing listening to things at normal volume.

#2 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Man, I thought it was just me being picky, but I agree. Something about the audio has gotten really grating. Seems to be going around a lot, Tested had a lot of audio issues on the podcast.

It seems like they aren't using consistent mics or something, because different people have sounded totally different, and even from video to video the mics have sounded differently.

#3 Edited by alternate (2681 posts) -

Have not noticed a difference myself. Volume is still really low but I have got used to turning it up.

If you use twitter try msg'ing @drewscanlon

#4 Posted by Vman (19 posts) -

I have to agree, it started with the Way of the Dogg quick look i think. The sounds just blows out at the high end.

#5 Edited by GS_Dan (1402 posts) -

I noticed it too. Definite clipping.

#6 Edited by AlexW00d (6180 posts) -

Yeah it's been pretty bad recently, not sure what's up. Maybe they're training someone on the audio?

I have to turn the volume down a lot anyway, cause my headphones are fairly loud, but if I forget it kind of hurts my brain.

#7 Posted by Video_Game_King (35975 posts) -

I haven't heard the clipping, but I like the new loudness to Quick Looks, at least compared to the older Quick Looks and their "so quiet that I have trouble hearing them at max volume" volume.

#8 Edited by MikkaQ (10268 posts) -

Yeah audio's clipping like a motherfucker these days, but Giantbomb always has iffy sound if you ask me (outside of the Bombcasts). It's mostly cause they yell all the time and it's really easy to clip the mic or end up with a video that sounds really quiet until they yell, then it's way too loud. I guess there's only so much of the dynamic range you want to preserve when putting video out for the web. That's something I need to remember for my own videos.

#9 Posted by Stonyman65 (2590 posts) -

I've noticed it being a lot quieter than it used to be, and they have some pretty serious balance issues. Sometimes I can barely hear the game and other time I can barely hear them talking. Same goes for TNT and Unprofessional Fridays, too. Something is jacked up somewhere.

#10 Edited by Colourful_Hippie (4329 posts) -

Yeah usually I had to always turn up the volume but now I have to keep it a lot lower now.

#11 Posted by YoThatLimp (1879 posts) -

Yeah it is pretty bad, even my wife mentioned it overhearing a quick look. Maybe it is this mysterious new producer they have?

#12 Edited by Ares42 (2570 posts) -

It actually started a good while ago (to the point I can't remember the first QL that had issues). I've been speculating that it's a bad mic, as it usually only triggers on one person and it changes who between QLs.

#13 Posted by doosmacleod (186 posts) -

Yeah it is pretty bad, even my wife mentioned it overhearing a quick look. Maybe it is this mysterious new producer they have?

It must be Rick Rubin!

#14 Posted by habster3 (3595 posts) -

It practically blew out my eardrums the other day (I was using headphones).

It's really weird setting the volume near its minimum level and still hearing it loud and clear...

#15 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

It's not really the volume that I think is the problem. That can be fixed pretty easily. But if you have decent speakers/headphones the sound is just... bad. Real grating, even with the volume down.

All of them completely lacking the ability to talk like fucking humans doesn't help, but even when they are it's still just as bad.

#16 Edited by MetalGearSunny (6986 posts) -

@yothatlimp said:

It must be Rick Rubin!

#17 Posted by YoThatLimp (1879 posts) -

@doosmacleod said:

@yothatlimp said:

It must be Rick Rubin!

That was a zinger!

#18 Posted by rjayb89 (7717 posts) -

I feel like it's been like that since they tried out their new equipment on that secret Army of Two stream.