Quick Look of Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward?

Groundings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I'm curious if there is any plans for this. The expansion requires players to be at the highest level, 50, which will take some time to go through. In saying that, there is a strong Giantbomb community (VinCo) in the game who would gladly help ease any new players on the Ultros server.

We are 3 months away from its release, June 23rd for all and a June 19th start for pre-ordered players, and its not too late to get a character from 1-50 by that time.

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Rorie might be the only one slightly interested in looking at it, but I doubt they will, and I don't think they should. Quick looks at expansions to MMOs have always been kinda "meh" viewer material. I also don't know who it would serve. People interested in FF14 will get it, of course, and people not interested will not, since it's just more FF14.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

I might argue that a community-made Quick Look would be preferable. No one on staff is anywhere near the right level to look at the new content, and they would likely not really care enough about it anyway.

Pierre42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah someone on Staff would need to sink too much time in to even qualify for Heavensward content. Just don't seem practical.

I do however disagree with takayamasama that niche quick looks should be ignored. Means a lot to the communities, provided the Bombsquad doesn't butcher it (ala Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance).

Honestly some of the best moments were when Patrick reached out to 'different' games to get a sense of why they appeal.

kishinfoulux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they were to do it they'd have to haul ass to get it done. None of them are remotely close to being able to do so. I imagine they'll borrow someone from Gamespot who's played it more and use said person on the Quick Look.

I would prefer a community one as well though. Could be an interesting idea in general too, for some of those games that fall through the cracks.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@wemibelec90 said:

I might argue that a community-made Quick Look would be preferable. No one on staff is anywhere near the right level to look at the new content, and they would likely not really care enough about it anyway.

I miss the days of the Matrix Online and Star Wars Galaxies shutdown streams where Ryan would just rope in some community people to show him around. Because yeah, especially with MMOs that the staff certainly doesn't give a shit about, they'd be better just getting into contact with someone in the community who isn't an asshat and having them help out covering it.

kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I'd love to see it, but I can't imagine it at all. That would require a huge time commitment, and even if you like MMORPG's it's still quite a tall glass to fill. I enjoyed my time with FFXIV:ARR on the PS4, but still go no where near L50 in the first month. (Granted I have two infants)

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pierre42: I didn't mean to suggest niche quick looks should be ignored, it's fantastic when they look at smaller, weirder things, and a lot of quickl ooks like that have gotten me interested in games I would never have known about otherwise.

However I don't think that's the same thing as a quick look of a MMORPG. None of the crew likes MMOs in the slightest anymore, with the exception of Rorie (who is more of a casual MMO player), so asking them to quick look something they A) have no interest in whatsoever and B) would not have the time or interest to do back research on before a quick look, would result in a boring, uneducated quick look that very well could have misinformation. A lot of incorrect things were said about WoW when Dan did his test run of WoW, not because they meant to say false things, but because they were just so out of touch of what the game was today.

I still stand on the ground that MMO expansions don't need quick looks. They aren't designed to attract new players, that's just a small side effect of them, they are designed to give fresh things for the existing, paying community to keep them interested, and those people already know if they are going to pick up Heavensword or now.

I also think that because its release in June follows E3 and (hopefully) the release of some actual games, they would be too busy to consider looking at FF14.

Seikenfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Extremely unlikely it'll happen unless they know someone who will come in for a Quick Look.

Sadly, the game will continue to be ignored by Giant Bomb :(

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are plenty of games they don't bother quick looking (especially MMOs) so I don't feel like they're obligated to, and with the significant time investment required to even access it I don't see why they would bother.

And honestly, does anybody really even want to see them halfheartedly stumble through it? I'm not sure that would serve anyone, even purely from an entertainment perspective.