Quick Looks the new Video review?

jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By jaymorgoth

I've noticed lately that reviews have lately been more of a written variety and the video is just the Quick Look.  Just got me wondering how the community feels about this shift. As far as i go i don't mind it for the fact that QL's tend to give me a better sense of the game then a video review does.  The written review gives me a nice overall opinion of the game and the QL helps solidify the idea of the gameplay and combined i can get a pretty good idea of the game. The video review just seems to be more of "i don't want to read" kinda thing ya.  Thoughts?  Also if your reading this Giantbomb crew is this a shift your making or are ya just behind on video reviews?

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@jaymorgoth said:
"   I've noticed lately that reviews have lately been more of a written variety and the video is just the Quick Look.  Just got me wondering how the community feels about this shift. As far as i go i don't mind it for the fact that QL's tend to give me a better sense of the game then a video review does.  The written review gives me a nice overall opinion of the game and the QL helps solidify the idea of the gameplay and combined i can get a pretty good idea of the game. The video review just seems to be more of "i don't want to read" kinda thing ya.  Thoughts?  Also if your reading this Giantbomb crew is this a shift your making or are ya just behind on video reviews? "
They have been busy as of late. I do not mind that there are not video reviews. They take a lot of time to do. 
luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#3  Edited By luce

Quick looks are way more fun than video reviews

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By AhmadMetallic
@jaymorgoth:  I believe we all find QLs alot more helpful because you see the gameplay, while listening to very funny and informative commentary.  
Written reviews are enough for those who seek reviews, and the occasional Video Review for a big title is not bad.  The staff is little and they have no time to make video reviews all the time :)
Ramyun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Ramyun

I definitely see Quick Looks as being a really great way of telling you if this game is for you, but I still do like my video reviews. It's just me mainly because that was how I found out about Jeff Gerstmann and so even though it might seem a little redundant in that its just a video version for the lazy, some might say, but it is something that I'd still like to see once in a while.

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By AlwaysAngry

I like quick looks more anyway, so I don't really care.

Red12b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Red12b

I used to love the Reviews, all the great editing by Vinny,  
I think that it is much easier for them to do and it gives us a much broader scope of the game,  

So, QL's are the future, it seems at least. 

ajamafalous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By ajamafalous

The video reviews were usually nearly word for word the same as the written reviews anyway.

Avatar image for kowalskimandown
KowalskiManDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#9  Edited By KowalskiManDown

I think QL's are way more informative than a video review. It shows you the game as it is, rather than edit it in some flashy fashion. Also, I always read the text reviews first, and it seemed like they were just reading that to the camera in the video reviews.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By fwylo

Quick looks are better than video reviews IMO.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By The_A_Drain

I like the video reviews, but they tend to be just the review read out loud + some footage. 

I'd take the written review plus a 15 - 30 minutes quick look over a review + a video review any day personally.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#12  Edited By dtat

When it comes to good games, I prefer a video review. I like quicklooks of bad games. I think they're fun to watch.
CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CptBedlam

I'm with you guys. QL are more fun and watching an unedited portion of the game is also more informative.

Written review + quicklook = perfect

jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jaymorgoth

Quick Looks are generally more entertaining and i also like that it's not a direct reading of the written review but rather another piece of the reaction.  Maybe the review should be written by one member and the QL's should be done by others and that way it's like the whole staff weighed in on the game so you get multiple perspectives from all our favorite GB personalities!

The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@jaymorgoth said:
" Quick Looks are generally more entertaining and i also like that it's not a direct reading of the written review but rather another piece of the reaction.  Maybe the review should be written by one member and the QL's should be done by others and that way it's like the whole staff weighed in on the game so you get multiple perspectives from all our favorite GB personalities! "
That would be a waste of time. 
iamjohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iamjohn

It's not like they ever did THAT many video reviews anyway.  Also: 

@ajamafalous said:

" The video reviews were usually nearly word for word the same as the written reviews anyway. "
jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jaymorgoth
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @jaymorgoth said:
" Quick Looks are generally more entertaining and i also like that it's not a direct reading of the written review but rather another piece of the reaction.  Maybe the review should be written by one member and the QL's should be done by others and that way it's like the whole staff weighed in on the game so you get multiple perspectives from all our favorite GB personalities! "
That would be a waste of time.  "
How would that be a waste of time? It's what they are doing now more or less just the reviewer isn't in on the QL, he's playing the game for review.  
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@jaymorgoth said:
" @The_Laughing_Man said:
" @jaymorgoth said:
How would that be a waste of time? It's what they are doing now more or less just the reviewer isn't in on the QL, he's playing the game for review.   "
If they have played it enough to review it why hand if off to someone who knows nothing? They would have to take time to get to a point where they are comterbule with the game then do the quick look.  
jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jaymorgoth
@The_Laughing_Man said:
" @jaymorgoth said:
" @jaymorgoth said:
How would that be a waste of time? It's what they are doing now more or less just the reviewer isn't in on the QL, he's playing the game for review.   "
If they have played it enough to review it why hand if off to someone who knows nothing? They would have to take time to get to a point where they are comterbule with the game then do the quick look.   "
But they've done that before , a few QL's they've admitted this is the first time they've played the game.
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@jaymorgoth said:
" @jaymorgoth said:
" @jaymorgoth said:
If they have played it enough to review it why hand if off to someone who knows nothing? They would have to take time to get to a point where they are comterbule with the game then do the quick look.   "
But they've done that before , a few QL's they've admitted this is the first time they've played the game. "
Yes. Most of which are Wii games or joke titles. *O noby noby boy* Right now they are in the thick of big releases RDR. Alan wake. Halo reach. Stuff like that. 
Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#21  Edited By Heartagram
@luce said:
" Quick looks are way more fun than video reviews "
I feel like quick looks are also more informative of how the game actually plays. 
jaymorgoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jaymorgoth
@Heartagram said:
" @luce said:
I feel like quick looks are also more informative of how the game actually plays.  "
I agree...i like the "gut reaction" mixed with Mystery Theater 3000-esque commentary of the QL's.  More entertaining to be sure.
Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By Jimbo

Depends on the game.  For console games they're way better, because you will see everything there is to see in 20 - 30 minutes.  For a lot of (but not all by any means) PC games - take Warband for example - a QL is still great, but they're barely going to scratch the surface.  In these instances a traditional review (whether written or video) is still more useful I think.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By MikkaQ

It's not a shift, it's always been this way. They never liked doing too many video reviews due to the effort involved for the output given. 

JokerSmilez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JokerSmilez

I generally prefer the Quick Looks. If I had to choose one or the other, definitely Quick Look. There have been some pretty great video reviews though. The Soul Caliber 4 review is one of my favorites. A little more "off the cuff" than just reading the written review while some clips play.

Azteck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Azteck

I prefer QL's. They are by far more entertaining, and as stated earlier, give a better impression of a game than a video review.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#27  Edited By Yummylee
@luce said:
"Quick looks are way more fun than video reviews "
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Daryl

The video reviews consist of them reading their reviews for you. 

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Brians

Reviews in general do very little for me.  Things that help me decide to buy a game, quick looks of them , and discussions on the bombcast. Also I can't think off the top of my head of a game I bought soley because I read a review of it. I welcome more quick looks and less video reviews.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By JJWeatherman

I thought it was really cool to read the Alan Wake review and at the bottom was the handily placed QL for my viewing pleasure. I think the 1-2 punch of a full review and then a QL really represents and explains games well. 

Side note: I really really want to play Alan Wake now!

Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#31  Edited By Astras

Quick looks are not reviews... how can you review a game with 15 - 30 mins of gameplay? If you played the first 15 mins of FF13 you would not have a clue how good or bad the game actually is. And that is how I feel about quicklooks, they are too brief, dont reflect the game as a whole product and are not accurate. 
I personally would rather the team play a whole game through, write a review or record a review... quick looks are very sloppy.
It also takes no skill apart from being entertaining to do a quick look at least reviews demand a solid writing style, understanding of game's and mechanics and some industry knowledge...

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Brians
@Astras: Reviews don't give you an idea of what playing a game feels like. I doubt one quick look happens and then a review is written. Also when is playing the game not an accurate representation of what playing the game is like?
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Astras
@Briguile: As I said... if you play the first 15- 30 mins of a game such as Fallout 3, Halflife 2, FF13, Bioshock, KOTOR etc... can you really say that you know hardly anything about the game?
And I wasn' t saying a review is written after a quicklook.. im stating that I would prefer more structured reviewed website content rather than sloppy 15 - 30 mins of gameplay.
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Astras
@Jimbo said:
" Depends on the game.  For console games they're way better, because you will see everything there is to see in 20 - 30 minutes.  For a lot of (but not all by any means) PC games - take Warband for example - a QL is still great, but they're barely going to scratch the surface.  In these instances a traditional review (whether written or video) is still more useful I think. "
Exactly what I was trying to say... apart from I would like to see more reviews in general
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Brians
@Astras: I get what your saying, but with no difference in any of the video reviews from their written counterpart I see no reason why we need more video reviews.
Astras

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Astras
@Briguile: 
Puhleassse, you are actually saying that you dont mind reading instead of getting a running image driven commentary reviewing features such as  gameplay, story, handling etc. You must love reading... I still love watching the old Gamespot reviews that Jeff and co did back in the day. Much more pleasing for me to watch a set piece like that.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Brians
@Astras: Yes because they repeat they loop videos within the video reviews. I don't know if they use a teleprompter but they're just reading their reviews on Giantbomb anyway. 
If you like video reviews that's good. 
But I don't mind seeing a product being played because quick looks and talk of games on the Bombcast  is 100 times more likely to sell me a game than a video review ever will be.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FunExplosions
@luce said:
I agree. They usually just read straight from their written review when they do the video. I wouldn't mind if they stopped doing video reviews all together. More quick looks and less video reviews would be a welcome change.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Brians
@FunExplosions: We should start a topic about that. I would concur in it.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By PureRok

I found the video reviews pointless. It was usually exactly word-for-word what was written in the written review, except now someone else is reading it for you. It didn't tell you anything new. A Quick Look is a much more worthwhile endeavor, both for them and for us.

If you want a review, go read it.