Racism at the Carolina Games Summit.

End_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By End_Boss

Recently my friends and I took a trip to the Carolina Games Summit to check out the seminars and whatnot (thinking we might even put together a one-off podcast from it) and get our pictures taken with Darth Vader (you can't not get your picture taken with Darth Vader. No you can't.). Well, after flipping through our program, we found ourselves either disappointed with the content of the seminars (how to cosplay, etc.) or just confused as to what they even were (one was detailed as "FTW" and nothing else), we casually decided to jump in to the Halo 3 4v4 tournament. And so, team Over 9000 was born.

After some swapping of teammates (there were only 3 known members there, I had to troll the halls looking for a fourth), we finally got settled in to play some Halo 3. After several rounds our team came up in the call-outs, and the room couldn't help but laugh at our intarwebz-inspired moniker. An uneasy silence settled over everyone at the name of the next group, however: "Purple Porch Monkeys." Now, under no circumstances would I be okay with this team name, but it was an especially stupid move to name your team that in North Carolina, a state with a large black population. What was even stranger was that the tournament administrators allowed it! Anyway, we were slated to play against them in the upcoming matches, something I wasn't altogether pleased with. Luckily (heh) we got annhilated in our first round and never had to face the PPM.

Has anyone ever encountered this kind of thing before? Thoughts?

Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Bullet_Jr

Don't let it get to you. Racism only has power if you let it. If you don't let it phase you, it's just ignorance.

I'm Native American and get the short end of the racism stick on many occasions. In the end, making a big deal isn't worth it.

It's better to move forward than to look back.

tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By tekmojo
Bullet_Jr said:
"Don't let it get to you. Racism only has power if you let it. If you don't let it phase you, it's just ignorance.

I'm Native American and get the short end of the racism stick on many occasions. In the end, making a big deal isn't worth it.

It's better to move forward than to look back.
"
Very spirtual...err i mean insightful!
Brad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By Brad

That's really sad, but not surprising; there are still a lot of shameful attitudes held in my home state and elsewhere in the South (as everywhere else, really).

I like Bullet_Jr's advice, though. One way to fight it is just to not waste time on it.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Endogene

Ok so i am not from the US here and i have know idea why a purple monkey sitting on a porch is racist, sounds more like a fever dream really.

edit: took me a good 10 minutes on google of browsing pictures of actual monkeys sitting on porches before finding what it means.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By weltal

While we are forced to put up with it online on a daily basis in person you could have made a bit a commotion about a name like that. I think people have gotten too used to the idea of online racism as being OK when in reality someone should have, at the very least, kicked those racist fucks out on their ass.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By Diamond

That's pretty blatantly racist for a group of people in public and not at some hate group rally or something.  Surprised nothing came of it (like getting kicked out, or a fight)

Steve_C

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Steve_C

I'm in the UK and have never heard of that expression before.

But if it's a well known term over there then it's unacceptable. I know you've already been, but you should send the organisers a quick email and tell them to get their shit together. It might help prevent this sort of stuff happening in the future.

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Maru

What's so racist about Purple Porch Monkeys ???

Is it a monkey that sits on a purple porch ?? 0_0

Avatar image for deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30
deactivated-5d7bd9e4bef30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe they were just big fans of Clerks 2

No Caption Provided
Seriously though, that's team name was in pretty bad taste. I wouldn't call it blatantly racist, but it's toeing the line.
I guess I'm pretty lucky, I'm half and half and have never in my life experienced real racism directed towards me.

Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Endogene
Maru said:
"

What's so racist about Purple Porch Monkeys ???

Is it a monkey that sits on a purple porch ?? 0_0

"
I was under the impression that it was a purple monkey on a plain porch at first. Apparently something to do with slavery the monkey being the black slave attached to the slaver's porch not sure where the purple comes from.

edit:

That movie looks awesome by the way TeflonBilly saw the first one sometime ago but never came around seeing the second one

Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Pibo47
Brad said:
"That's really sad, but not surprising; there are still a lot of shameful attitudes held in my home state and elsewhere in the South (as everywhere else, really).

I like Bullet_Jr's advice, though. One way to fight it is just to not waste time on it.
"
Yeah. I live in Texas, and its not really much of a problem at all...but i did run into a couple skin heads about a year ago...i was with my girlfriend(whos black, otherwise this story makes no fucking sense)...things didnt end up pretty. I really had no clue up until that point that racists even lived in the dallas area. But i guess thats what i get for walking on the sidewalk near a biker bar.
Bullet_Jr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Bullet_Jr
Pibo47 said:
"Brad said:
"That's really sad, but not surprising; there are still a lot of shameful attitudes held in my home state and elsewhere in the South (as everywhere else, really).

"
Yeah. I live in Texas, and its not really much of a problem at all...but i did run into a couple skin heads about a year ago...i was with my girlfriend...things didnt end up pretty. I really had no clue up until that point that racists even lived in the dallas area. But i guess thats what i get for walking on the sidewalk near a biker bar.
"
Damn those bikers, jk. It's funny because my mom (native american) and my step-dad (mongolian) are both bikers.

Some people just don't know how to act though, it's a hard and true fact of life.
lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lamegame621

I can't say how many times I've dealt with racist people on Xbox Live.....oh wait, that's why I don't use Xbox Live anymore. :D

I've met people online with equally offensive names. I reported all I could on Xbox Live, but after getting in one absolutely brutally racist, pointless argument with one of them--I decided to just ignore them. Most servers on PC have 'Racism=Kick' policies...no such option on Live :(. Racism is dumb and eventually when people realize it's fueled by nothing other than ignorance, we will all grow up. Or at least us intelligent people will form our own country 8D. GIANTBOMBLAND!!!

Edit: "cracka-ass hate monger" lol I love wanda sykes.

aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By aaox

I just never really talk to anyone anymore via the internet. I'm not part of a racial minority, but I could understand how it feels. I thought that thing would be stopped partially when Obama was elected. Apparently, old habits die hard- It's a real shame, but people on the internet are just ignorant. If it concerns you, don't let it get to you. Which is kind of why I like Giant Bomb. There's not really any mean people on here at all, which is a welcome change.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By JoelTGM

Er, not really sure how Purple Porch Monkeys is racist.  Then again, I wouldn't know the lingo, I've seen maybe 10 black people here in my entire life.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Linkyshinks

The fact it was in Cackalacka, (first time I have use that word) makes it dubious and more likely to be a lame racial slur than a Clerks 2 thing. It's the organizers fault solely, they should have been mindful of the fact it could have been deemed offensive by a large number of people at the event.

MOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MOLE

To me Racism is stupid, not because of why people do it but because of what it represents.

People throw out the word "RACISM" like its wads of paper.  I've seen people make fun of other people because of their very pale skin, because of their loss of hair, because of their glasses, because of their freckles.

Yet no one referred to it as "RACISM".  Why?  Because the person they were making fun of was white, yes white, and the people making fun of him were, yes you guessed not white.  Yet those were the student's genetics, he was born the way he is because of his parents.  Yet it still wasn't considered racist or racism.  Thats why I find it pathetic on why people even still call it that because its just unfair on the other side of the argument.

Jensonb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#19  Edited By Jensonb
MOLE said:
"

To me Racism is stupid, not because of why people do it but because of what it represents.

People throw out the word "RACISM" like its wads of paper.  I've seen people make fun of other people because of their very pale skin, because of their loss of hair, because of their glasses, because of their freckles.

Yet no one referred to it as "RACISM".  Why?  Because the person they were making fun of was white, yes white, and the people making fun of him were, yes you guessed not white.  Yet those were the student's genetics, he was born the way he is because of his parents.  Yet it still wasn't considered racist or racism.  Thats why I find it pathetic on why people even still call it that because its just unfair on the other side of the argument."

I've seen plenty of people call out non-whites for racism and plenty of whites called out for white-on-white racism (Demeaning sub-races etc.). But then I'm in the UK so one's milage tends to vary.

As to the tournament thing, that crap is straight up stupid. It's a wonder people get away with that sort of shit these days.
Geno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#20  Edited By Geno

I've honestly never in my life heard porch monkeys used in a derogatory way. In fact the first time I've ever heard it was in Clerks 2, and I was just about as clued out as the guy who didn't know what was wrong with it. It doesn't sound particularly racist and I'm pretty sure most people would be more offended by getting called "retard" or "cocksucker".

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By SoothsayerGB

I believe the words are double entendre.

I live in NC.  Raleigh in fact.  Lived here all my life.  I am not at all surprised by this.  Remember during the election, how everyone was talking about what a huge win it was for Obama to win NC?  It's because this is such a racist state.  It's not everyone, but there are MANY!  Most older people in fact.  Sad but true.  Blunt, to the point.

I grew up in a city neighborhood.  All low income people of ethnic minorities.  Bordered to a mostly black housing project.  My neighborhood was basically a prettier project. 

When it came to inter-race relationships, as a young kid.  All I knew was "you don't sit with them."  My 5th grade to 6th grade transition was very difficult.  All my friends were black, and over the summer.   They were sent to church youth groups.  Then at the start of the 6th grade year.  I went from being  their best friend.  To "White boy."  Was beat down because I was white more then I care to talk about.

The fact of the matter is.  North Carolina is in the south.  Things like this are common down here. Very common.  Plus your playing on XBL, the /b/ of online gaming connections.  Sorry you had to put up with crap like that.  But your right, I can clearly see the offensive nature of that title.

But North Carolina has been fighting modern ideas of race relations for years.  Fighting tooth and nail to stay separate and not equal at all.  Despite our heavy collage communities. 

No Caption Provided
This is James Johnson.  I young man that has been in prison for over 3 years.  Due to being a suspect in the rape and murder trail of a "white girl".   He has been in jail for over 3 years.  3 years...  Only because he is black.  The two people who committed the murder and rape have confessed and 1 has been convicted.  The convicted and admitted killer,  forced James here, to help cover up the crime at gun point. 

Now whether or not James Johnson played a part in the actual killing and rape has not been decided by a court.  Because there is no real evidence to convict him.  He remains in jail, because she was white and he is black.  Period.  3 years of his life gone.  Thats pure BS. 

Welcome to the North Carolina. 

Now I should state.  That there are many things about NC that are truly wonderful.  Not everyone is evil and there are many places you can go for fun.  I am from NC and say to all, please don't let the foolish actions of few. Discourage you from what this state has to offer.  There are many people about with open minds.  Who support many positive causes.  From Food Not Bombs to 4H.

But the truth remains.  North Carolina is a great state, but still struggles with it's past.  Nice guys like you have to help her along. 

No Caption Provided

PS: If you wondering what the hell Food Not Bombs is.  I hope this link works right. You can google it if not.  Peace.

http://www.foodnotbombs.net/

HandsomeDead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By HandsomeDead
lukeissxc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By lukeissxc

I live in North Carolina and i seriously think that everyone is over exaggerating. I won't lie and say there is no racism here because there is still some, but it isn't as bad as everyone says. Most of the "racism" I encounter is in the form of jokes. I can't tell you the number of times I've been called a stupid white boy and just laughed it off. I call my best friend a stupid mexican and I also say my black friends are always trying to steal my stuff so i guess that makes me racist even though we are clearly joking.

By the way I'm proud to live in the south and I wear Confederate flag shirts almost everyday and I've still never been referred to as racist.

lamegame621

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By lamegame621

Much like profanity, things construed by some as racism may be ok around your friends if they are all ok with it and it is just joking. But in a public setting--that changes everything.

I don't think wearing a Confederate flag makes you a racist, you're just Anti-American :D . JK. As long as you don't accept slavery then I don't think it matters, even if some people (including me) think it's a bit ridiculous.

...but then again, I live in Texas, and I almost consider myself a Texan before an American. There's lots of gray area here. Rule of thumb: act like you're talking to old people when you're in public :D. Unless of course you yell at old people :P

Ziriux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25  Edited By Ziriux

Unfortunately racism is something that will never disappear due to a few individuals that are still out to hate a certain kind.

TomA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#26  Edited By TomA

What do you expect dude,it's the southern states of America,that's like racism's spawning ground.

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By PureRok
Aaox said:
"I just never really talk to anyone anymore via the internet. I'm not part of a racial minority, but I could understand how it feels. I thought that thing would be obliterated when Obama was elected. Apparently, old habits die hard- It's a real shame, but people on the internet are just ignorant. If it concerns you, don't let it get to you. Which is kind of why I like Giant Bomb. There's not really any mean people on here at all, which is a welcome change."
If you expected something like that to change because one man becomes the President of the U.S. then you are delusional. Someone becoming a president isn't some magical transformation that fixes the problems in the world. It's just... one day there's one man in a chair, the next, someone else.
Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jayge_
End_Boss said:
"Recently my friends and I took a trip to the Carolina Games Summit to check out the seminars and whatnot (thinking we might even put together a one-off podcast from it) and get our pictures taken with Darth Vader (you can't not get your picture taken with Darth Vader. No you can't.). Well, after flipping through our program, we found ourselves either disappointed with the content of the seminars (how to cosplay, etc.) or just confused as to what they even were (one was detailed as "FTW" and nothing else), we casually decided to jump in to the Halo 3 4v4 tournament. And so, team Over 9000 was born.

After some swapping of teammates (there were only 3 known members there, I had to troll the halls looking for a fourth), we finally got settled in to play some Halo 3. After several rounds our team came up in the call-outs, and the room couldn't help but laugh at our intarwebz-inspired moniker. An uneasy silence settled over everyone at the name of the next group, however: "Purple Porch Monkeys." Now, under no circumstances would I be okay with this team name, but it was an especially stupid move to name your team that in North Carolina, a state with a large black population. What was even stranger was that the tournament administrators allowed it! Anyway, we were slated to play against them in the upcoming matches, something I wasn't altogether pleased with. Luckily (heh) we got annhilated in our first round and never had to face the PPM.

Has anyone ever encountered this kind of thing before? Thoughts?
"
It's OK! They've seen Clerks 2! They're taking it back!
thebipsnbeeps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By thebipsnbeeps

Racist? Ya, definitely, but it's more like a "we're offensive with a twist of pop culture like family guy, therefore we're hilars " kind of thing, which, unfortunately to them, I never find funny. I really don't see it as anything deeper, but then again, it just sounds like teenagers that play video games and flatter themselves by pulling out what they see as an obscure reference, or as people have already said, from Clerks 2. To answer your question, however, no, I've never encountered this type of thing before, so maybe there's more to it. I imagined that it was, indeed, pretty awkward, though.

BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By BiG_Weasel
Brad said:

"
I keep forgetting that Brad's from NC, too (Boone representin'!).  Its true, though- not just in NC, but really worldwide.  As a general rule, people gravitate towards others who look like them, talk like them, and have similar interests. And morons take it to the next step, like in this case. 

I worked at Appalachian State for four years, and at lunch, the tables were divided up by race. Those folks weren't racist, they were just more comfortable with people they had more in common with (and appearance is a lot of that).
BiG_Weasel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BiG_Weasel
Brad said:

"
I keep forgetting that Brad's from NC, too (Boone representin'!).  Its true, though- not just in NC, but really worldwide.  As a general rule, people gravitate towards others who look like them, talk like them, and have similar interests. And morons take it to the next step, like in this case. 

I worked at Appalachian State for four years, and at lunch, the tables were divided up by race. Those folks weren't racist, they were just more comfortable with people they had more in common with (and appearance is a lot of that).
aaox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By aaox
PureRok said:
"Aaox said:
"I just never really talk to anyone anymore via the internet. I'm not part of a racial minority, but I could understand how it feels. I thought that thing would be obliterated when Obama was elected. Apparently, old habits die hard- It's a real shame, but people on the internet are just ignorant. If it concerns you, don't let it get to you. Which is kind of why I like Giant Bomb. There's not really any mean people on here at all, which is a welcome change."
If you expected something like that to change because one man becomes the President of the U.S. then you are delusional. Someone becoming a president isn't some magical transformation that fixes the problems in the world. It's just... one day there's one man in a chair, the next, someone else.
"

Well, maybe not fix it, but stop it partially. Also, delusional? See why I don't like to talk to people on the internet now?