RAM is overrated, please stop bitching about it

• 52 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

reach3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By reach3

I mean really, I constantly see people bitch about the 360 and ps3 being low on Ram. Its BS.

Lets just say instead of a 360 having 512mb of ram, it had 2gb of ram. There would still barely be any difference in graphics after the upgrade in ram. So please cut the crap and bitching about the ram in 360 and ps3. also next gen systems dont need a lot either

jking47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By jking47

......the fuck is this?

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Cloudenvy

What the hell?

gamefreak9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By gamefreak9

The thing about RAM is that its the best value for money per performance... so RAM is a big deal.

DemBones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By DemBones

Let's complain about you instead.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

You're not exactly a hardware expert are you? More RAM would definitely help the performance of consoles. I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but it's incorrect. Games would definitely run smoother when rendering memory intensive operations like larger view distances. I'm not sure why you think otherwise...

Edit: It's a new account so probably just trolling.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By stonyman65

You don't understand what RAM is used for, do you?

The reason people bitch about it is because it is slow. 512MB and even 2GB isn't a very large amount, especially considering that today's PCs have at least 4GB minimum, and most gaming machines will have probably have 8GB+. Not to mention that that old RAM was DDR2 and the stuff we have now is DDR3 which is much faster.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By musubi

Your fucking insane and have no idea what your talking about.

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

#9  Edited By nintendoeats

You have absolutely no idea what your talking about at all. The consoles have the half amount of RAM for everything that a modern PC has just for graphics. More RAM could mean better AI, better textures, more objects on screen at once, fewer loading times, larger levels...

Don't be silly.

louiedog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By louiedog

First post on the site. It's absolutely ridiculous. Green name relating to a game on that platform. It's a troll post. Move along.

Avatar image for deactivated-5afdd08777389
deactivated-5afdd08777389

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@louiedog said:

First post on the site. It's absolutely ridiculous. Green name relating to a game on that platform. It's a troll post. Move along.

Exactly. Nothing to see here.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#12  Edited By Dagbiker

I am glad once I turn my computer off my computer will forget this thread. Thats the magic of ram.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By connerthekewlkid

guys he may be a thing called a troll but im not sure hes pretty good at hiding it

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AndrewB

The day when consoles started integrating a real underlying operating system is the day that RAM became important.

Also, VRAM. Because if you've ever seen Skyrim on the 360 and compared it with the official high res texture pack for the PC, you will weep.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15  Edited By Ace829
You don't talk shit about this bad-ass motherfucker, OP.
You don't talk shit about this bad-ass motherfucker, OP.
killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By killacam

ok, sorry.

reach3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By reach3

I thought ram powered the graphics? like make allow games to turn setting shigher. guess not. sorry I was misinformed.

alternate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By alternate

Great first post. No really. You have a bright future ahead on this forum.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#19  Edited By musubi
@reach3 The graphics card powers the graphics.....
nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By nintendoeats

@reach3 said:

I thought ram powered the graphics? like make allow games to turn setting shigher. guess not. sorry I was misinformed.

Well find whoever informed you and punch them in the face for spreading nonsense.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By stonyman65

@reach3 said:

That's the GPU and VRAM (Video Random Access Memory) Regular RAM has to do with processes and how fast they can be done, not with video.

The GPU's will get updated. Fear not.

reach3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By reach3

@nintendoeats: nobody really told me i just read people say stuff like 360 and ps3 graphics are bad because they have low ram, so i assume low ram = the reason graphics settings were very low?

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By stonyman65

@reach3 said:

@nintendoeats: nobody really told me i just read people say stuff like 360 and ps3 graphics are bad because they have low ram, so i assume low ram = the reason graphics settings were very low?

That's because the GPUs they use are like 8 years old at this point, even longer for the 360. PC's these days are like 5 generations ahead. And even when the new consoles are out, they'll STILL be behind the PC by about 2 gens. That's how the R&D cycle works with consoles.

W0lfbl1tzers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By W0lfbl1tzers
No Caption Provided

@reach3:

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By nintendoeats

@reach3 said:

It's way more complicated than that, but lack of RAM is a big factor. RAM is like a hard-drive: it stores information. The difference is that HDDs are very slow (much slower than your processor) and RAM is very fast. RAM is where all of the data that a CPU and GPU are actually working on lives. If there is more RAM, then the processors can work on more data at once. This can translate to better graphics, but it can also be used to do many other exciting things. the bottom line is that more RAM allows developers to do more stuff.

Ravenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ravenlight

@nintendoeats said:

@reach3 said:

Well find whoever informed you and punch them in the face for spreading nonsense.

Then punch yourself in the face for spreading nonsense.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#27  Edited By jeff

It's about time someone laid down the law about... RAM?

reach3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By reach3

@nintendoeats said:

@reach3 said:

It's way more complicated than that, but lack of RAM is a big factor. RAM is like a hard-drive: it stores information. The difference is that HDDs are very slow (much slower than your processor) and RAM is very fast. RAM is where all of the data that a CPU and GPU are actually working on lives. If there is more RAM, then the processors can work on more data at once. This can translate to better graphics, but it can also be used to do many other exciting things. the bottom line is that more RAM allows developers to do more stuff.

Oh. I am not very experienced with tech but you explained it very well and I understand now. Thank you!

nintendoeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nintendoeats

@reach3 said:

@nintendoeats said:

@reach3 said:

Oh. I am not very experienced with tech but you explained it very well and I understand now. Thank you!

Your welcome, thankyou for comprehending.

(guys, I taught somebody something!)

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By doobie

@reach3 said:

@nintendoeats said:

@reach3 said:

so do you still think its overrated?

Avatar image for bigchickendinner
BigChickenDinner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By BigChickenDinner
No Caption Provided
reach3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By reach3

@doobie:

not after reading why its neccesary

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Cloudenvy

@nintendoeats: You've spread wisdom!

AngelN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AngelN7

I'm so happy this got resolve just imagine if all troll/uneducated threads were solve like this ... just imagine.

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By salarn

RAM is used for a lot of things in games, the vast majority of RAM in the current generation of consoles is used for textures, animation, sound, and other presentation elements. Following that you'll see a good chunk of RAM being used for middleware such as Havok, SpeedTree, and the system dash. Finally, you end up with the smaller segment of memory used for gameplay.

The 360/PS3 have 512mb of ram, the PS3 splits it into two 256mb sections, but that split is pretty much meaningless.

Adding more RAM will improve the video quality of games because they could use higher resolution textures, the sound quality of games by higher bit rate sound, gameplay would improve because larger and more complex AI nav meshes can be used, the user experience would improve due to fewer loading hallways and larger size levels.

However, since there is no significant improvement in display devices for consoles, support for resolution over 1080p would be limited in value to the consumer. That likely makes the sweet spot of memory for the next set of consoles ~2gb range, it'll be interesting to see if they push for 4gb considering the switch in memory addressing.

uhtaree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By uhtaree

Whew, I had to step back and put my pitchfork down. OP had me all hot and bothered there for a second.

Lukeweizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Lukeweizer

What's with the flood of new users posting ridiculous threads lately?

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#38  Edited By Justin258

@reach3 said:

@nintendoeats said:

@reach3 said:

I don't mean to be an ass, and this is certainly a bit hypocritical of me because I've stated stuff that I wasn't sure of at times, but next time do at least a little bit of research on something before declaring such things.

Also, nintendoeats gets to be our new resident computer teacher.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SeriouslyNow

@reach3 said:

Actually that's right in part. More VRAM = high texture detail, more complex shaders and greater view distances. It's obviously not that simple but RAM can and often does relate to how a game's setting are tuned. The PS3 actually is SEVERELY hobbled by having its RAM separated into two different blocks (256MB of DDR3 for general usage and 256MB of high speed graphics memory exclusive to the RSX). It's the main reason why Skyrim has been so unstable on that console, because they need to devise ways of being able to shift data around despite the machine's limits (its 256MB of general RAM actually only offers around 180MB in practice and Skyrim's engine struggles to deal with that low amount of RAM when screen effects like shadows and water get too complex).

Your first post is crazy talk btw. RAM is everything in modern machines. The next generation consoles will have a lot more RAM than the current ones do. At least 4x as much.

reach3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By reach3

@Salarn said:

RAM is used for a lot of things in games, the vast majority of RAM in the current generation of consoles is used for textures, animation, sound, and other presentation elements. Following that you'll see a good chunk of RAM being used for middleware such as Havok, SpeedTree, and the system dash. Finally, you end up with the smaller segment of memory used for gameplay.

The 360/PS3 have 512mb of ram, the PS3 splits it into two 256mb sections, but that split is pretty much meaningless.

Adding more RAM will improve the video quality of games because they could use higher resolution textures, the sound quality of games by higher bit rate sound, gameplay would improve because larger and more complex AI nav meshes can be used, the user experience would improve due to fewer loading hallways and larger size levels.

However, since there is no significant improvement in display devices for consoles, support for resolution over 1080p would be limited in value to the consumer. That likely makes the sweet spot of memory for the next set of consoles ~2gb range, it'll be interesting to see if they push for 4gb considering the switch in memory addressing.

But didnt the 56 page MS leak say the new xbox was like between 5-8 gb? (i forgot numbered amount)

EXTomar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By EXTomar

You know what? People should stop bitching about roast beef. Its perfectly fine on sandwiches.

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By salarn

@reach3 said:

But didnt the 56 page MS leak say the new xbox was like between 5-8 gb? (i forgot numbered amount)

Did you also believe the "leak" that had the PS4 with 20gb of RAM?

While I'd love 8gb of memory in the next xbox, I'm doubtful.

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Cloudenvy

@EXTomar: What? people bitch about roastbeef?! I won't stand for this!

bed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#44  Edited By bed

@Cloudenvy: please stop bitching about people bitching about roast beef. it's overrated.

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By AndrewB

@Cloudenvy said:

@EXTomar: What? people bitch about roastbeef?! I won't stand for this!

That's what I was about to ask. Who the hell is bitching about roast beef? They need to be set straight.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Ace829

What the hell? There's no page for roast beef in the Giant Bomb wiki! Somebody! Sort that shit out! This is unacceptable.

doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By doobie

@AjayRaz said:

@Cloudenvy: please stop bitching about people bitching about roast beef. it's overrated.

have you tried roast beef monster munch? you wouldn't be saying that if you had

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By BabyChooChoo

lol

Cloudenvy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Cloudenvy

@doobie: We're talkling real roast beef here! not some sort of gross corn snack.

71Ranchero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By 71Ranchero

@EXTomar: @Cloudenvy: @AjayRaz: @AndrewB: @Ace829: @doobie: Roast Beef is just a low rent version of Pastrami and should only be eaten when you have no other options available.