• 94 results
#1 Edited by cloud360 (46 posts) -

I played all FF's, apart from FF11 & FF14, but i have not finished FF2-5, so wont mention them.

1.FFX (first one i played, best story IMO)

2. FF7

3. FF6

4. FF9

5. FF8

6. FF tactics advance

7. FF12 (mediocre story, ok game play which sometimes plays itself if you do gambit system right)

8. FFX-2 (bad story, good game play)

9. FF1 (GBA)

10. FF13 (not a true FF game, bad story, bad non-strategic gameplay that plays itself, bad characters)

#2 Edited by Dagbiker (6939 posts) -

1. FF9

2. FFIII

3. FFXII

4. FFX-2

5. FF7 (computer)

I thought ff7 was crap and honestly even after years of trying to grasp the story by trying to read the Wiki, and numerous FAQs i still do not understand what the hell happened, I guess the evil company made a clone of this guy but it not really his clone, then there is this commit that is heading for the earth some how.

#3 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

I've played them all.

1. FFX

2. FF9

3. FF13

4. FF7

5. FFV

#4 Edited by cloud360 (46 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Fav: FF9

Played:

FF7 (computer)

FF9(playstation)

FFX-2

FFXII

FFIII

I thought ff7 was crap and honestly even after years of trying to grasp the story by trying to read the Wiki, and numerous FAQs i still do not understand what the hell happened, I guess the evil company made a clone of this guy but it not really his clone, then there is this commit that is heading for the earth some how.

Sephiroth's mother is called Lueceia, you only find out if you go to a sdecret area in the game.

I also found some parts of the story confusing. But what i loved about the game was that each character all had their back story. And those back stories were amazing. I loved barrets back story the most.

About his friend, he even ha to kill his best friend in the end

:(

#5 Edited by cloud360 (46 posts) -

@CL60 said:

I've played them all.

1. FFX

2. FF9

3. FF13

4. FF7

5. FFV

FF13 is better than FF7, and FF6? Can you please explain? has to be a mistake.

am baffled

#6 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

Also played them all.

Didn't complete any of the others. I liked the look of 9 though, but only borrowed it.

#7 Posted by Xtrememuffinman (958 posts) -

Finished V-XIII, minus XI, and XII. I never played XI, got up to the last guy in IV but never beat him, and got about four-five hours into XII before giving up, as it was terribad.
X
VIII
VII
IX
V
VI 
XIII
IV
XII

#8 Posted by ShadowMountain (226 posts) -

8 My favorite but not for everyone

9 Probably best 'traditional style, turn based' FF

12 Best new one. Shame about the backlash since we got 13 instead which no one was happy with either! Good thing Xenoblade built on it...

7 Was ok - I played this well after release as with all of them and to play them its definitely not that great but I can see why people think it is

10 The worst IMO probably because of the voice acting. FF12 was in english as well but it was done well. After playing FF7-9 I expected a huge leap going to the PS2 but was dissapointed

#9 Edited by MrKlorox (11198 posts) -

Only listing the ones I've played to completion in order of best to worst:

FF6
FF7
FF4

If FF Tactics counts, it's in between 6 and 7.

The only ones I haven't played at all are FF10, FF10-2, FF12, FF13, and FF14. I don't count the FF7 spinoffs. I would really like to play FF12.

#10 Edited by Kandycane2029 (511 posts) -

Played all but 14 (As long as we're only talking main series here).

My three faves are (in no particular order): FFVI, FFIV, and FFVII. I love the original FFT and hated the Tactics Advance games.

#11 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

FF1

FF2

FF7

FF9

FF13

With 13 being my favorite so screw your it's not a real FF game.

#12 Posted by Sayishere (1838 posts) -

To be fair, this list of the best Final fantasies is pretty biased since everyones first game will end up being their favourite, that being said heres my list

1. FF7

2. FF6

3. FF9

4. FF10

5. FF8

I never played 1-5

I played 10-2, i played 12, i played 13. I dont really like these games to be honest.

#13 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4674 posts) -

I played 4,7,8,10,12,13. My order for them are: FF7, FF10, FF13, FF12, FF8, FF4.

#14 Edited by Simplexity (1382 posts) -

Played: 6-13 except the MMO of course, I am not insane.

1. FF9

2. FF6

3. FF10

4. FF7

5. FF12

6. FF8

7. FF13

Edit: Forgot 10-2. It is in 27th place behind Big Rigs somewhere, fuck that game.

#15 Edited by TheSeductiveMoose (3617 posts) -

I've only played FFXIII. Didn't like it all that much.

#16 Posted by CheapPoison (716 posts) -

FF9 is the best.

Played them till they went to the current gen of systems and i never got into that so.

Last one i played should be FF12.

#17 Posted by Frostmane (56 posts) -

1. Final Fantasy Tactics

That is all.

#18 Posted by TobbRobb (4554 posts) -

The only ones I've finished are VI, VII, X, XII, XIII. I've tried a bit into 1-5 but never felt the urge to continue any of them, IV looks kinda interesting, I'll check it ou at some point. I played half of IX and just stopped, don't remember why, probably because Kuja sucks. I really liked a lot about it though, will give it another shot at some point. No interest in VIII whatsoever.

In a top list I think I would rank them:

1. X, the first one I played (i'm young), I've finished it several times over and it feels like I find something new every time. It's also the one I think has the best post game content. Best combat in the series, sphere grid is only bested by the materia system.

2. VII, Aside from looking like shit graphically, there really isn't a lot to hate on here. It's a great game, period. Materia is the best customization system EVAH.

3. XII, I liked the different feel of this game and I think Ivalice is one of the most interesting worlds in the franchise. The combat wasn't that awesome, but I think I would have been more disappointed If I had to compare another turn based system to X and VII.

4. VI, I really like the charaters in this game, that is the one thing that kept me going. I actually think the leveling system is crap and combat is not as good as later entries (for obvious reasons). It's only ranked so low because I played it after the newer ones, and had another perspective.

5. XIII, I like this game. I had to change my mindset about how to play a Jrpg almost completely, and it doesn't really feel like Final Fantasy so much, but just looking at it as a game, it's pretty cool. Aside from hating vanille and snow, I don't really have that much to bitch about, it was just a rollercoaster. A gorgeous rollercoaster with some amazing backdrops and history, too bad the guy sitting next to me is so goddamn insufferable.

#19 Posted by mosespippy (3981 posts) -
  1. FF12
  2. FF7
  3. Crisis Core FF7
  4. FF2
  5. FF1
  • I've played about 30 hours of FF13 and then SotC/Ico came out so I put it down. I'll get back to it. It'll likely rank above FF2.
  • After I finished 12 I spent a while debating if I like 12 or 7 more. During CCFF7 I spent a while debating if it was better than 7. It is but the main story is too short and ends suddenly. The side stuff is terrible after doing the same thing about 40 times. You could do it 300 times but why would you? Those top 3 FF games are really close in quality for me.
#20 Posted by RageExpressive (50 posts) -

1. FF9

2. FF4

3. FF6

4. FF5

5. FF7

6. FFX

7. FF8

8. FFX-2

Those are all I've played

#21 Posted by Chop (1991 posts) -

My favorite is X-2.  

I've also played 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, and 13. I don't feel like ranking any of those because I don't have a particular fondness of any of them. 

#22 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I've played 7, 8, 9 and 13. I didn't like any of them, especially 13.

I'm not big on turn based RPGs, the only one that really pulled me in was Persona 4 because of the great characters.

#23 Posted by SuperfluousMoniker (2906 posts) -

Oh god let's see.
FF6
FF7
FF4
FF10
FF3 
FF9
And the rest can fight for spots around the bottom. The only ones I haven't played are X-2 and the MMOs. Didn't finish FF2, 8, 12 or 13 (almost beat 12 but lost interest; 2, 8 and 13 are just crappy games IMHO)

#24 Posted by august (3825 posts) -

1. 2

2. 1

#25 Posted by Bulby33 (545 posts) -

I've only personally play Final Fantasy VII and VIII. 

FFVII is really, really good. One of my favorite JRPGs. As for VIII... Didn't like it very much. Very confusing battle system and uninteresting plot & characters.

#26 Posted by geirr (2469 posts) -
  1. FF5
  2. FF6
  3. FF4
  4. FF9
  5. FF8
  6. FF3
  7. FF2
  8. FF1
  9. FF10
  10. FF12
  11. FF11
  12. FF10-x2
  13. FF14
  14. FF13
#27 Posted by cloud360 (46 posts) -

@ShadowMountain said:

12 Best new one. Shame about the backlash since we got 13 instead which no one was happy with either! Good thing Xenoblade built on it...

7 Was ok - I played this well after release as with all of them and to play them its definitely not that great but I can see why people think it is

10 The worst IMO probably because of the voice acting. FF12 was in english as well but it was done well. After playing FF7-9 I expected a huge leap going to the PS2 but was dissapointed

FF10 worst FF????????????

WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING !

How much of the game did you play? didnt you like the story?

#28 Posted by Adamsons (877 posts) -

6/7/8/9/10.

That order also works for me, 8 & 9 are interchangeable

Played X-2, but the less said about that the better.

#29 Edited by cloud360 (46 posts) -

@LiquidPrince said:

FF1

FF2

FF7

FF9

FF13

Why do you think FF13 is best FF?

I never met anyone who said that.

FF13 is better than FF7, FF6, and FF9....really?

#30 Edited by Wipeout (260 posts) -

@Xtrememuffinman said:

... got about four-five hours into XII before giving up, as it was terribad.

Too bad you feel that way. I thought XII was fantastic and pushed the battle system into a much faster, more strategic direction where you oversaw and directed instead of repeatedly hit "attack". The story may have been a little dry, but it was the best "game" of all of them I think. As for the list, I've played all of them and the only one I didn't like was IX. Nine just didn't do it for me with its super-lame character design and I never had any idea what was going on or why I should care. I don't count the MMO's as they should be called FFOnline 1 and 2.

1. FFVII (never understood the backlash that came a decade later, loved it then, loved it when replaying 2005-ish. Steampunk/cyberpunk FTW)

2. FFVI (The most hours I've put into any FF maybe even any game)

3. FFXII (See above)

4. FFX (Does anyone actually know what the fuck is going on in the story here? Your father is a whale thing? Parallel worlds? WTF!?)

5. FFXIII (I actually think its pretty good, kind of like a spiritual successor to X, and I don't care about linearity in a story driven FF I just want to move forward anyways)

#31 Posted by Dixavd (1291 posts) -
  1. FF10
  2. FF8
  3. FFX2
  4. FF7
  5. FF13
  6. FF12
  7. FF11
  8. FF3 (Don't know if it was original 3 or american 6, all I know is it was on the DS and was the worst handheld game I have ever played, although in fairness the original may be better and I only made it about half through so the second half could be great and the story could have picked up)

1,2,4,5,14, I have only seen bits of, but I have seen the start of 4 and that was awesome.

FFX (10) is not only my favourite Final Fantasy game but also my favourite game of all time. And while I have severe problems with 13, it did keep me from getting bored and I did enjoy the combat (and the codex actually made me care about the world, even though it was stupid that to care I had to read it anyway). Also I should point out I never got to play the ends of 8 or 7 as on both the last disk broke before I could play it, but for the first 3 disks I found FF8 to be clearly supior and only think the story for FF7 gets better if you include Crisis Core.

#32 Posted by LiquidPrince (15833 posts) -

@cloud360 said:

@LiquidPrince said:

FF1

FF2

FF7

FF9

FF13

Why do you think FF13 is best FF?

I never met anyone who said that.

FF13 is better than FF7, FF6, and FF9....really?

I never mentioned FF1 and FF2 as my favorite... I just listed out the ones that I've played. And yes, 13 is my favorite so that generally means I like it more then the others mentioned.

#33 Posted by NoCookiesForYou (754 posts) -

I'm definitely down for a good Final Fantasy game. Newer FF games have disapointed me, all my hopes rest with Versus 13.

1. Final Fantasy VI

2. Final Fantasy IX

3. Final Fantasy V

4. Final Fantasy VIII

5. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

5. Final Fantasy XIII

#34 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

I've played all of them, besides the Online ones (and a few of the spin-offs, but let's not go there).

My favourite are: VI, IX, VII and IV.

They just get increasingly disappointing after IX, with XIII more or less being the death of the series. Unless XV is a complete return to the old school style, I'm not interested.

#35 Edited by Mento (2415 posts) -

edit: I realize it's not much use without comments, so here:

T - Tactics is the best game in terms of plot and the level of depth in building your characters. Really, those are the two things that matter with FF.

VI - Largest (at least feels that way) and gets a little crazy at the midway point. Tons of characters - almost all of which get adequate exposure - and exploration.

IV - I tend to think of 4 as the archetypal Final Fantasy game, in much the same way that the SNES Zelda was the definitive version of that franchise.

XII - Liked 12 a lot. Especially outwitting the game with foolproof gambits. License grid was a daft concept but serviceable for creating some novel character classes.

VII - Probably graphically aged the worst of all the FF games, but its impact cannot be denied. It could do without its extended universe multimedia and fanboys though.

X - Characters weren't that great and the ultimate weapon minigames sucked, but everything else was really solid.

MQ - Man, is it a guilty pleasure. An infamous insult to "dumb" western audiences with its oversimplification, it's really only for diehards at this point.

VIII - Definitely a curio. Honestly could not tell what they were going for with all the time compression and junctioning.

IX - Nine's okay. Kind of unremarkable, frankly. I realize opinions differ.

XIII - Not a disaster, but rife with problems. The core design is starting to feel its age.

I - Despite being old as fuck it's still somewhat playable in this day and age, unlike the other two.

X-2 - Embarrassing, but not intolerable.

V - Dumb two worlds plot with a very minimal cast of characters. End boss is a tree. Probably the least essential game in the FF library. Ignored a lot of what made FF4 great.

III - DS remake wasn't too bad, but III is perhaps the worse affected by the passage of time. Severe difficulty and the sheer inconvenience it puts you through makes it a chore.

II - Terrible. Hitting yourself in the face levels up your health. Surprised it didn't kill off the franchise before it really took off.

#36 Posted by Irvandus (2777 posts) -

Tactics

#37 Edited by Aus_azn (2224 posts) -
  1. 8 (PS1)
  2. 10
  3. 13 (X360)
  4. 10-2
  5. 9
  6. 4 (DS)
  7. 6 (SNES)
  8. 3 (DS)
  9. 7 (PS1)
  10. 11 (PC)

Those are all the ones I've played. I'll be the champion of the unpopular opinion that FF7 sucked. Because it did. It's my least favourite next to 11, which I only played through the end of the trial.

, explain to me why you're basically flaming everyone for having an opinion different to yours.

#38 Edited by cloud360 (46 posts) -

@Chop said:

My favorite is X-2. I've also played 3, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, and 13. I don't feel like ranking any of those because I don't have a particular fondness of any of them.

Never in my life have i heard anyone say FFX-2 is their favourite.

This is a historic event in my life. lol.

I am keeping a screenshot of your comment. if you dont mind.

, what are you on abot. Do you mean Persona 4 got you into FF, how

, where's FF7, didnt you play FF7? No way is FF7 worst than FF13, which you placed last in your list. But i dont even see FF7 on your list?

#39 Edited by BulletproofMonk (2718 posts) -

1. XIII 
2. VII 
3. X 
4. IX 
5. VIII
6. X-2 

My top 6. Still working my way through VI. It's pretty good so far. 

#40 Posted by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

@cloud360 said:

@ShadowMountain said:

FF10 worst FF????????????

WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING !

How much of the game did you play? didnt you like the story?

I liked parts of 10's story, but for the most part, it focused on unlikable characters, bad teen romance and melodrama.

The gameplay was good, and it has my favourite battle system of the series.. But the characters completely ruin it, the few good elements of the story are retconned in X-2, and none of the characters aside from Yuna and Tidus are at all fleshed out or made interesting in anyway, most of the time they do nothing but stand in the background. For me, it's the game that marks the shift in the series away from what I liked. VIII is guilty of exactly the same problems, but it was at least followed up by IX, which would easily by my favourite game in the series, if it didn't completely fall apart after the second disc.

#41 Edited by Chemin (632 posts) -

In descending order:

• FFX
  • FFVII
  • FFXIII
  • FFIII
  • FFIV
  • FFI
  • FFII

I've dabbled in FFXI, which was.. decent for an MMO I suppose (a genre I hate otherwise anyway), and I've poked around FFXIV for an hour or so, but I don't have any opinion on it as of yet.

#42 Posted by AlexW00d (6168 posts) -

@cloud360: 10 is easily the worst one. Shitty story and shitty characters, for a story heavy game that's not what you want.

#43 Posted by jschmoe (141 posts) -

Here's my list:

1. VI
  2. IV
  3. VII
  4. Mystic Quest
  5. IX (Didn't finish)
  6. X
  7. III (DS)
  8. XI (PC)
  9. V (GBA)
  10. I (GBA)
  11. VIII
  12. II (GBA)

Owned but unplayed: XII, XIII

I am one of the few who actually liked MQ. A lot. Yes it's fairly basic, but the music was great, and was simple enough to get me into RPGs again. I had been away for a while. That said, 6 has the best villain, 4 had a great story, though it loses its way at the end, 7 is a great all-around package, 10 was disappointing. I don't know why I didn't finish 9. 3 and 5 were OK but unremarkable, 11 was decent but actively hostile to people wanting to solo. 8 was a major disappointment with characters I despise. I barely played the original on NES so I can't comment. I actively hate 2.

Also, I skipped all the offshoots, and non-FF games (Final Fantasy Adventure, Final Fantasy Legend, etc.)

#44 Posted by FunkyFox (62 posts) -

Meh, this is a long post 'cuz I decided to list some thoughts on each game. Sorry about that. I probably didn't list a couple of the ones I played.

The Great:

1. Final Fantasy Tactics- Awesome game. Great gameplay, great story, great characters. Poor localization, but that's been fixed. Easter eggs and hidden characters (including Cloud from FF7 as a recruitable character). Just a great game all around.

2. Final Fantasy VI- This, and IV, are both battling each other for this spot. I have to give it to VI, though, for the greater degree of customization of character abilities while still maintaining each character's abilities as somewhat unique. Not to mention the sheer number of party members you get eventually. The story is also pretty awesome and features Kefka.

3. Final Fantasy IV- First SNES era Final Fantasy I played. Cecil is the protagonist of all the Final Fantasy games I've played. It's also one of the more difficult games, with no party customizing, period (disregarding the SNES version of the game being, basically, easy-mode of the Japanese version for some reason). The game also has one of the best stories featured in a Final Fantasy game and you can see a lot of what makes Final Fantasy VI great being developed in Final Fantasy IV.

4. Final Fantasy IX- This game gets hated on a lot for it's art style but, get past that, and it's a gem. Difficult compared to it's PS-era predecessors, generally better writing, and just a fun adventured without massive melodrama every five minutes make this deserving of number 4.

5. Final Fantasy X- A classic of the series with great mechanics that flowed well and an interesting story. Poor voice-acting notwithstanding (and no one ever laughed in this game. It never happened) the story and music are what makes this game special. This is the game that Final Fantasy XIII clearly tried to mirror, not really succeeding, but not entirely failing either. The only major fault with the game is its ease- the summoning system, while something I want to see return again, makes the entire game a cake-walk... now I'm going to go replay it, or IX. Or Tactics.

That Average-

6. Final Fantasy VIII- This game is insane, but for some reason I've probably played it more than the other games. I'm not sure why- the junctioning system? The drawing system? Gunblades? All of these have been criticized as missteps and, frankly, I have to agree. At the same time, something about the story structure and the most memorable CGI cut-scenes from the entire series makes the entire experience worth having. Besides, junctions weren't so bad and pretty easily understood if you took the time to figure it out.

7. Final Fantasy VII- A good game. A classic of the series and the first introduction of many. The Materia system felt like a reworked and not-quite-as-good Esper system from VI, and the story goes crazy towards the end (as did VIII's). Aeris' death shocked many and it was pretty cool how the game let you unlock her final Limit Break so early in the game. I don't have much negative to say about it beyond that it didn't really grab me- characters weren't interesting, mechanics were weak, etc. A perfectly good game.

8. Final Fantasy XIII- A flawed, but still enjoyable, game. Superior mechanics in battle are brought down by poor presentation of all the extra shit to do. Cieth aren't really an interesting way to collect quests and I never really enjoy it when I'm not allowed to progress in levels as much as I want when I want, via grinding. I may not choose to grind, but I'd like the option, so give the entire Crystarium when we get it, please. The story has a similar problem- interesting characters and scenario (among the best in Final Fantasy) marred by flawed execution (namely in how they handle exposition). As a game it feels very experimental and I must say I did, ultimately, enjoy my time with it and look forward to XIII-2 to see if they fixed the problems of the first.

The Not-So-Good-

9. Final Fantasy XII- Something about this game makes me unable to really complete it. I'm not sure what it is; it isn't bad, per se, but I don't find the characters appealing. The mechanics don't really interest me either.

10. Final Fantasy II- An interesting idea at the time for leveling up opens the game up for easy abuse. You do start to see the groundwork of future Final Fantasy games here, namely with the rebels fighting an evil empire. A game where I turned one character (on accident) into a 99% evasion with massive defense and a sword that worked better on strong enemies while stealing life. Yeah. Still, it's interesting to see the evolution of the games, so check it out if you're into that stuff.

11. Final Fantasy X-2- Interesting mechanics ruined by the departure in tone from the previous entry.

12. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest- Very different from other entries and not really in a good way.

13. Dirge of Cerberus- lol

#45 Posted by MoseSSesoM (235 posts) -

1. FF2

2. FF1

3. FF10

4.FF4

5. FF 13

6: FF8

7: FF10-2

8: FF 9

9: FF 7

10: FF 12

I have played 3, 5, 6, and 11 but never beat them/enough of them to place them on the list. So I don't count em.

#46 Edited by Force0401 (22 posts) -

FF9(PS1) FF13 (360) FF10 (PS2) FF3 (DS) FF10-2 (PS2) I've watched my brothers play FF7,8 and 9 (all on PS1) to the end but the ones listed are the games that I have played. I've really liked them all but I actually dis-liked FF10-2. EDIT: for some reason this isn't letting me have enter-spaces

#47 Posted by GunstarRed (4997 posts) -

Can't be bothered listing them all. I think IX is a really wonderful game.

#48 Posted by EightBitShik (1333 posts) -

List how many topics this guy has created in the last 48 hours about Squaresoft and name how many of them have been locked?

4 and All of them.

#49 Edited by NMC2008 (1227 posts) -

1. Final Fantasy XIII

2. Final Fantasy X

3. Final Fantasy X-2

4. Final Fantasy VI

5. Final Fantasy VIII

6. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest

7. Final Fantasy VII

8. Final Fantasy IX

I've played FFXI but I loathe it way too much to list it, I hate FFIX as well but I don't loathe it like I do XI.

#50 Posted by EchoEcho (813 posts) -

FFIX

FFIV

FFVI

FFX

(insert any FF games I haven't finished here)

FFVII

FFXIII