#1 Posted by The_tato (70 posts) -

So, Ive been reading articles and forum posts from a number of different sites all day about the "culture of rape" that is being proliferated by the culture around which video games are created/played. Recent coverage of games such as Hitman: Absolution, And Tomb Raider seem to be taking the brunt of this criticism suggesting them as flag bearers for a movement for rape in games. Granted, I am a male. I have never been sexually assaulted personally. And, though I have had the experience through youth counseling to help others through the aftermath of such terrible events, I feel I may not see the issue as clearly as a direct victim. This being said, I find myself extremely perplexed at the sheer volume of rage and uproar these games are receiving on this topic. I feel like some people have failed to separate the sexualization of women and misogyny of marketing from rape. Though both of those issues are in dire need of some work, and I fully understand that sexualization is a component of rape, assuming that every woman who is portrayed sexily in violent games is somehow pushing the "rape agenda" forward is somewhat ludicrous in my line of thinking.

In Hitman's case, the general argument seems to be that the "Nuns" from the trailer are "sexy" and he kills them. Thus, he is showing his dominance. Thus, he is metaphorically raping them. The fact that they have guns and are fighting back is marginally mentioned. The fact that he seems to take no notice of their "sexuality" is not mentioned at all. In fact, at many points, people are equally associating the game as endorsing domestic violence as well as rape with this one scene. I feel baffled as to this reaction. I didn't particularly like the video. I didn't think it furthered the agenda of Hitman as a series, or games in general, in any way. It was dumb, goofy, and totally pandering to a group of man babies who latch on to any titillating morsel of sexuality and over the top action sequences they can glom onto. It made me disappointed in a game i was looking forward to. But, the idea that it was somehow urging me or other viewers to go out and sexually assault women, or become more tolerant of abuse was the furthest thing from my mind. I have since watched the video multiple times, and the video is so fantastical and unrealistic that I find I have a hard time imagining anyone seeing real violence against real women somehow being glamorized by it.

Tomb Raider is a different story altogether. I am aware that there is an actual scene of sexual assault being portrayed in the game. From everything Ive heard read and seen related to this game, This is the story of a young woman who is trapped in a terrible life or death situation and is forced to overcome unspeakable torments and having all the odds stacked against her. The impression I have gotten from every interview and video is that this game is supposed to be a "mature" emotional experience where you as a player are supposed to feel her go through this story in shock awe and terror and be left with a resonant emotional affinity for Lara croft as an individual by the end of the game. I have not seen the "rape" scene from the game. I can not speak to how tastefully or well done it is in providing you with a feeling of dread and anger and sorrow that such a scene is surely supposed to draw from the player. Look, I am 30 years old, and I have grown up playing games from early childhood. We all have cried out that we want games to grow with us and be taken seriously, and contain experiences suitable to our moods and situations in life just like any other type of media/art we experience. We want them to be able to make us feel something as any good form of art truly should be able to. I imagine that behind all the trappings and cliches in gaming someone behind this game truly wanted us to feel the horror of rape in a real visceral way so that we could wrap our heads around the severity of such a situation. In my mind, that concept is the polar opposite of trying to perpetuate rape. Perhaps the developers fail to make that connection. It horrifies me to think of people sitting in front of their screens elated in watching what should be a terrifying scene made less so by the blundering of the developers. But, what should our reaction be to that? Should we not place these ideas in games until someone can guarantee a true connection can be made with every player? Can such a guarantee ever be made? I don't know.

There are a lot of ignorant awful people out there who look at any chance to voice their views in an as obscene manner as possible. Between the openness of the internet, and the direct control granted to us by video games, these people become more apparent in their vocalization than they did with older forms of media that didn't grow right alongside the internet. The real question is, should we all stop really thinking for ourselves about what the true issues being presented to us are, and keep maturity out of our games until a magical time when people are more mature as a whole? I don't know.

#2 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

I am not sure I actually grasp what "rape culture" even means, but this should be fun regardless.

#3 Posted by Marcsman (3218 posts) -

Yeah I'm kinda lost too with this "rape culture"

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (9741 posts) -

Good God.

#5 Posted by Soapy86 (2632 posts) -

@The_tato said:

So, Ive been reading articles and forum posts from a number of different sites all day about the "culture of rape"

There's your first mistake. There is no "rape culture". It's something bored feminazis made up to get attention. Which seems to be happening a lot lately in the game industry.

#6 Posted by Nonapod (126 posts) -

At first I thought this might be about the use of the word "rape" in wider gamer culture in general (which is an interesting topic to be sure). I remember the first time I was on Teamspeak many years ago with a bunch of younger gamers who would use the word "rape" freely to describe losing badly in multiplayer or whatever as in "Man, he just completely raped me hahaha!" or "I totally raped their engineer!". I remember thinking at the time it was a pretty bizarre or even slightly disturbing use of the word. Later on I surprised myself when I actually used the term a few times.

#7 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

@The_tato said:

So, Ive been reading articles and forum posts from a number of different sites all day about the "culture of rape"

There's your first mistake. There is no "rape culture". It's something bored feminazis made up to get attention. Which seems to be happening a lot lately in the game industry.

you know feminazi was invented by rush limbaugh?

you are supporting limbaugh every time you use that term, I hope you're happy

#8 Posted by The_tato (70 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

@The_tato said:

I didnt get that general feeling. It was more like broad spectrums of people have stopped differentiating between issues and have instead started lumping any and all frustrations in the most extreme category available. They make genuine valid points on many posts, but looping everything back to rape seems dishonest at very least and insensitive/offensive to people with real issues at most.

#9 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Animasta: I retain my right to hate both feminazis and Rush Limbaugh and you cannot take that away from me.

Actually I hate the term because I feel that it makes it too easy to lump the majority of feminist with a few nutjob radicals to invalidate the whole group. That is an injustice in my book. But seriously, fuck nutjob radicals.
#10 Posted by Kierkegaard (602 posts) -

@The_tato said:

So, Ive been reading articles and forum posts from a number of different sites all day about the "culture of rape" that is being proliferated by the culture around which video games are created/played. Recent coverage of games such as Hitman: Absolution, And Tomb Raider seem to be taking the brunt of this criticism suggesting them as flag bearers for a movement for rape in games. Granted, I am a male. I have never been sexually assaulted personally. And, though I have had the experience through youth counseling to help others through the aftermath of such terrible events, I feel I may not see the issue as clearly as a direct victim. This being said, I find myself extremely perplexed at the sheer volume of rage and uproar these games are receiving on this topic. I feel like some people have failed to separate the sexualization of women and misogyny of marketing from rape. Though both of those issues are in dire need of some work, and I fully understand that sexualization is a component of rape, assuming that every woman who is portrayed sexily in violent games is somehow pushing the "rape agenda" forward is somewhat ludicrous in my line of thinking.

In Hitman's case, the general argument seems to be that the "Nuns" from the trailer are "sexy" and he kills them. Thus, he is showing his dominance. Thus, he is metaphorically raping them. The fact that they have guns and are fighting back is marginally mentioned. The fact that he seems to take no notice of their "sexuality" is not mentioned at all. In fact, at many points, people are equally associating the game as endorsing domestic violence as well as rape with this one scene. I feel baffled as to this reaction. I didn't particularly like the video. I didn't think it furthered the agenda of Hitman as a series, or games in general, in any way. It was dumb, goofy, and totally pandering to a group of man babies who latch on to any titillating morsel of sexuality and over the top action sequences they can glom onto. It made me disappointed in a game i was looking forward to. But, the idea that it was somehow urging me or other viewers to go out and sexually assault women, or become more tolerant of abuse was the furthest thing from my mind. I have since watched the video multiple times, and the video is so fantastical and unrealistic that I find I have a hard time imagining anyone seeing real violence against real women somehow being glamorized by it.

Tomb Raider is a different story altogether. I am aware that there is an actual scene of sexual assault being portrayed in the game. From everything Ive heard read and seen related to this game, This is the story of a young woman who is trapped in a terrible life or death situation and is forced to overcome unspeakable torments and having all the odds stacked against her. The impression I have gotten from every interview and video is that this game is supposed to be a "mature" emotional experience where you as a player are supposed to feel her go through this story in shock awe and terror and be left with a resonant emotional affinity for Lara croft as an individual by the end of the game. I have not seen the "rape" scene from the game. I can not speak to how tastefully or well done it is in providing you with a feeling of dread and anger and sorrow that such a scene is surely supposed to draw from the player. Look, I am 30 years old, and I have grown up playing games from early childhood. We all have cried out that we want games to grow with us and be taken seriously, and contain experiences suitable to our moods and situations in life just like any other type of media/art we experience. We want them to be able to make us feel something as any good form of art truly should be able to. I imagine that behind all the trappings and cliches in gaming someone behind this game truly wanted us to feel the horror of rape in a real visceral way so that we could wrap our heads around the severity of such a situation. In my mind, that concept is the polar opposite of trying to perpetuate rape. Perhaps the developers fail to make that connection. It horrifies me to think of people sitting in front of their screens elated in watching what should be a terrifying scene made less so by the blundering of the developers. But, what should our reaction be to that? Should we not place these ideas in games until someone can guarantee a true connection can be made with every player? Can such a guarantee ever be made? I don't know.

There are a lot of ignorant awful people out there who look at any chance to voice their views in an as obscene manner as possible. Between the openness of the internet, and the direct control granted to us by video games, these people become more apparent in their vocalization than they did with older forms of media that didn't grow right alongside the internet. The real question is, should we all stop really thinking for ourselves about what the true issues being presented to us are, and keep maturity out of our games until a magical time when people are more mature as a whole? I don't know.

Here's a primer from shakesville.

To be brief, the problem is not lack of clothing, the problem is not depiction of sexual assault, the problem is not a man killing women, the problem is how those things are treated and combine.

In the Hitman trailer, sexuality (the male gaze of the camera, the tight leather outfits, the naught nurse motif) is blended with horrible, shocking violence (shots through one woman into another, the women themselves being armed, crushing a woman's nose in). Combining sex and violence, connecting them, is part of a culture of rape. It makes dominance and control and harm part of something that should include none of those things intrinsically. Yeah, you can have BDSM, but that's consensual. As just one example of thousands (Bayonetta, Hitgirl), the trailer was a good example of how wrong a message marketing can send.

In Tomb Raider, the problem is not the existence of rape, the problem is using rape as a catalyst for character growth. It makes a woman growth because of what is done to her, rather than because of what she does. It makes her growth reactive rather than proactive.

#11 Posted by Soapy86 (2632 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Soapy86 said:

@The_tato said:

I didn't know that, actually.

But...I give no fucks. Sorry.

#12 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

I have wondered what the deal was with rape for entertainment as well.

I mean, I am a fan of Joss Whedon's work, but I have never seen an opportunity go by where he can make someone a rapist that he doesn't make them a rapist/attempted rapist. The guy is fascinated with rape.

Personally I find it insensitive to people who have actually had to deal wiht that, as well as disturbing on a "why would you choose to put this in a piece of escapist entertainment" level. Lara is in danger. We get it. Why does putting her in sexual danger increase the appeal of the game in any way? Am I supposed to be enjoying it more because of the sexual element? Because that's where it starts to get disturbing.

#13 Posted by Soapy86 (2632 posts) -

@TentPole said:

@Animasta: I retain my right to hate both feminazis and Rush Limbaugh and you cannot take that away from me.

Also, this.

#14 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

@Animasta said:

@Soapy86 said:

@The_tato said:

so you love rush limbaugh then, good to know

#15 Posted by ddensel (387 posts) -

In Hitman's case, the general argument seems to be that the "Nuns" from the trailer are "sexy" and he kills them. Thus, he is showing his dominance. Thus, he is metaphorically raping them.

No, that's asinine. Where are you finding these articles and what community college do their writers hail from?

#16 Posted by AlexW00d (6302 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Soapy86 said:

@The_tato said:

I have no fucking idea who that is, but feminazi is a great term.

#17 Posted by frankfartmouth (1018 posts) -

The last time I mentioned rape on this site, I got a ban notice from the mods. This thread is a conspiracy.

#18 Posted by Sammo21 (3353 posts) -

Saying the Hitman trailer has anything to do with rape is fucking ridiculous. Was the trailer stupid? Yes. Did it have anything to do with rape? No. The word rape gets thrown around so much these days people don't even know when to properly use it. "Oh I raped that guy", "George Lucas raped my childhood", "rape culture", etc.

#19 Posted by Soapy86 (2632 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Soapy86 said:

@Animasta said:

@Soapy86 said:

@The_tato said:

so you love rush limbaugh then

Nope.

#20 Edited by Dogma (975 posts) -

I think you have a very level headed response to all of this. I'm not closing my eyes around these issues BUT this is not those kind of issues. Not yet. Not until we actually see the games and the context.

BTW... two more things! Have you guys seen this?

http://kotaku.com/5918193/tomb-raider-creators-are-no-longer-referring-to-games-attempted-rape-scene-as-an-attempted-rape-scene

Crystal Dynamics have confronted the whole thing. The little 2-3 second clip where the guy approaches (in lack of better words) Lara is what this "Rape scene" actually is. It's threatening scene. Not an act.

What makes is worse though is that people already made up their mind and are hellbent on discussing the topic to GREAT extenct! I present you will link number 2!

http://www.vg247.com/2012/06/13/live-debate-should-tomb-raider-include-rape-elements/

There will be a debate named "“Hey, let’s ‘evolve’ Lara Croft by having people try to rape her!”. That's just sad. Espcally since Crystal Dynamics clearified the whole thing. But it was sad even before that because how the want to take this discussion long before the game actually ships, can be played and got the chance to show the context of the scene. It's like Bully, Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect and (kinda) and the whole "Resident Evil 5 is racist" debacle that went on before the context could even been shown.

#21 Edited by ztiworoh (731 posts) -

I think it comes down to how it's presented - the fact is, especially in the Hitman trailer, violence against women is being used to titillate. The fact is actual rape/violence isn't stylish, it isn't sexy, it's really fucking brutal and ugly.

Here's the thing, if a game did want to tackle rape and do it with seriousness, I'm all for that. But so far, we're not seeing that in a lot of these examples. I actually am sort of taking a "wait-and-see" approach on Tomb Raider - the marketing is weird, but I could see a world in which it's handled with maturity, though I'm also not holding out hopes that it will.

Think of it this way - imagine the rape scene in either the American or Swedish versions of The Girl with The Dragon Tattoo. There's nothing sexy about them. Now imagine if the director had taken that opportunity to slowly pan across her nude body in a way that seemed like it was meant to sexually arouse - that would be sort of fucked up, and would make the scene lose its impact.

I'm all for games tackling sexuality, but there hasn't been much to show that they're always interested in doing it for the right reasons.

#22 Posted by The_tato (70 posts) -

@JazGalaxy said:

I have wondered what the deal was with rape for entertainment as well.

I mean, I am a fan of Joss Whedon's work, but I have never seen an opportunity go by where he can make someone a rapist that he doesn't make them a rapist/attempted rapist. The guy is fascinated with rape.

Personally I find it insensitive to people who have actually had to deal wiht that, as well as disturbing on a "why would you choose to put this in a piece of escapist entertainment" level. Lara is in danger. We get it. Why does putting her in sexual danger increase the appeal of the game in any way? Am I supposed to be enjoying it more because of the sexual element? Because that's where it starts to get disturbing.

I dont think you are supposed to be "enjoying it more" for the rape, you are supposed to be appalled and uncomfortable, angry, enraged. It is supposed to make you feel something dark and sad, so that you feel for her in a way that you dont for other protagonists.

#23 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@Soapy86 said:

@Animasta said:

@Soapy86 said:

@The_tato said:

so you love rush limbaugh then, good to know

Knowingly putting words in people's mouths is shitty. But being sarcastic and joking isn't.

I am frightened by my own inability to determine which is happening here.

#24 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@Animasta said:

@Soapy86 said:

@The_tato said:

he is a republican talk show host that is 10x worse than any so called 'feminazi' (also feminazi is a fucking terrible term because it equates feminism to the nazi's which is the exact opposite of correct in 99% of all cases of feminazi being used)

a girl who went up to the supreme court to suggest that the government should maybe perhaps cover birth control as it's mad expensive, he literally called her a slut and a whore for this (here's the wiki article)

#25 Posted by The_tato (70 posts) -

@Kierkegaard said:

In Tomb Raider, the problem is not the existence of rape, the problem is using rape as a catalyst for character growth. It makes a woman growth because of what is done to her, rather than because of what she does. It makes her growth reactive rather than proactive.

But in real life much of an individuals life Is proactive. The game isnt a triumphant story about a girl who joins an elite military band. Its about girl whos gone through absolute torment and hell and only through sheer determination courage and will overcame that which was done to her.

#26 Posted by AngelN7 (2970 posts) -

Here we... oh it's already going good.

#27 Posted by Nonapod (126 posts) -

In general though it's pretty safe to say that there's plenty of people out there who are looking to be offended. They go out of their way to find things to be "offended by". This trait isn't exclusive to any political persuasion or cultural background, it's just assholes.

#28 Posted by AlexW00d (6302 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Animasta said:

@Soapy86 said:

@The_tato said:

he is a republican talk show host that is 10x worse than any so called 'feminazi' (also feminazi is a fucking terrible term because it equates feminism to the nazi's which is the exact opposite of correct in 99% of all cases of feminazi being used)

a girl who went up to the supreme court to suggest that the government should maybe perhaps cover birth control as it's mad expensive, he literally called her a slut and a whore for this (here's the wiki article)

He sounds like a huge cunt - well he is a republican tehe - but feminazi totally doesn't equate feminism to anything, it says someone is a feminism extremist.

#29 Edited by PixelPrinny (1030 posts) -

@TentPole said:

Actually I hate the term because I feel that it makes it too easy to lump the majority of feminist with a few nutjob radicals to invalidate the whole group. That is an injustice in my book. But seriously, fuck nutjob radicals.

Edit: Wait, you weren't even the one who first used it! Now I feel like a douche for yelling at you. XD

#30 Posted by Bocam (3784 posts) -

I thought this was going to be about rap culture and OP just made a typo

#31 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3901 posts) -

Rape culture?? RAPE CULTURE??
I'm done you guys, I just...
...I'm done. DONE!!

#32 Posted by Toxeia (730 posts) -

Sorry, I lost it at "rape culture." Is this at all similar to a yeast culture, or a cheese culture?

#33 Posted by Ace829 (2083 posts) -

@Bocam said:

That would have been awesome.

#34 Posted by NMC2008 (1237 posts) -

It feels like an unhealthy infection is spreading, I am steering clear, I wish there was a game site that wasn't infected by this nonsense, neogaf is neck deep in this bullshit. Maybe I will go to N4G.

#35 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@PixelPrinny said:

@TentPole said:

If you hate a term, here's a tip: STOP FUCKING USING IT YOU TWAT.

• I have never used that term before in my life.
  • This is the only post in which I have ever used it.
  • It was a goddamn joke.
  • I immediately followed that joke by explaining why I thought it was it was a shitty term
  • WHAT THE FUCK IS YOUR GODDAMN PROBLEM?

Edit: Now you have apologized and explained your mistake and I feel like a douche for yelling at you.

#36 Posted by Salarn (465 posts) -

@The_tato: If you actually are interested read @Kierkegaard: link to a primer.

#37 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@Animasta said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Animasta said:

@Soapy86 said:

@The_tato said:

He sounds like a huge cunt - well he is a republican tehe - but feminazi totally doesn't equate feminism to anything, it says someone is a feminism extremist.

yeah, but nazi is a supremely loaded term... The only way feminazi is a decent descriptor of a feminism extremist if she is literally advocating putting men in ovens. I just think there should be a better word for it; even feminist cunt is a better term and I fucking hate that word.

#38 Posted by TheHT (11496 posts) -

Like, in a petri dish?

#39 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

Rape Culture? Rape Agenda? Who doesn't know that rape is a bad thing? Even rapists know rape is a bad thing. I've come to realise that I'm probably not playing the same games as you guys.

#40 Posted by The_tato (70 posts) -

@Bocam said:

Man, now i wish i had been reading articles about rap culture all day instead so i wouldnt have to feel so crummy. Either that or i'd feel worse...

#41 Posted by Harkat (1104 posts) -

@TentPole said:

I am not sure I actually grasp what "rape culture" even means, but this should be fun regardless.

Cosign.

Keep these sexism debates coming, they're actually pretty interesting.

#42 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@mandude said:

Rape Culture? Rape Agenda? Who doesn't know that rape is a bad thing? Even rapists know rape is a bad thing. I've come to realise that I'm probably not playing the same games as you guys.

shit, this stuff is over my head myself (particularly regarding rape culture in video games). Rape Culture, as I have come to understand it (in real life form), is basically when people blame the victims of rape instead of the perps and stuff like that; you were asking for it, you were wearing slutty clothes and that made you a target, etc.

#43 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@PixelPrinny: Don't worry about it. Earlier today the same thing happened to me and I got into a 2 page long argument with someone over a post it turns out they didn't even make.

#44 Posted by Soapy86 (2632 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Animasta said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Animasta said:

@Soapy86 said:

@The_tato said:

yeah, but nazi is a supremely loaded term... The only way feminazi is a decent descriptor of a feminism extremist if she is literally advocating putting men in ovens. I just think there should be a better word for it; even feminist cunt is a better term and I fucking hate that word.

To be clear, I absolutely do not think all or even most feminists are feminazis. They're two separate things.

Also, it's a fool's errand to try and apply a literal definition to a made-up word.

#45 Posted by MC_Hify (340 posts) -

@Animasta said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Animasta said:

@Soapy86 said:

@The_tato said:

Actually she never argued that government should pay for contraceptives that was just made up by Limbaugh to try and discredit her argument.

#46 Posted by AlexW00d (6302 posts) -

@runcrash said:

@Animasta said:

@AlexW00d said:

@Animasta said:

@Soapy86 said:

@The_tato said:

Actually she never argued that government should pay for contraceptives that was just made up by Limbaugh to try and discredit her argument.

To reference the actual point, why in the fuck does to the US government not 'pay' for contraceptives? I know most politicians are Catholics living in the fucking dark ages, but god fucking damnit.

#47 Edited by artgarcrunkle (970 posts) -

I've only seen "Rape Culture" used by hack writers who need to pander for page views and on GAF from a few posters who are more interested in being hostile and smug than being part of a reasonable discussion. It seems to be a buzz phrase from the "All men are irredeemable rapists" school of feminism, but I'd like to believe it only seems that way because I've only seen detestable people use it.

Anyways gamers are a fun demographic to watch talk about gender issues :)

#48 Posted by The_tato (70 posts) -

@Salarn said:

@The_tato: If you actually are interested read @Kierkegaard: link to a primer.

I just did, and though I totally get the argument from that perspective, I find myself still unsure if it is wise to lump any non rape violence that may or may not include sexuality in with the term rape. As puts it sexuality and violence should not be linked or it promotes the idea of a culture that blends the two. Sure the blending of both at one time is rape, but if you think an acterss is attractive and she is being shot at by a man in an action movie setting are you perpetuating the idea of rape? is it only if the man wins? What about women who lose at a sword fight in a fantasy movie? is that the promotion of rape? How remedial must our minds be to not seperate out things that give a positive response to the sexual abuse of women, and the action of a violent piece of media. I feel like its dangerous ground associating everything of the sort with rape unless you are of the mind to rid every form of media of every form of violence so as not to make someone think maybe the scene would be better with a woman in it so they can imagine rape.

#49 Edited by Athadam (697 posts) -

Honestly, you're taking this too far.  You are over analyzing it.

People will not associate the Hitman Absolution trailer with rape or any type of "dominance" theme. I don't get why people focus so much on video games when there lies the an entire section of the porn industry that profits on rape fetishes.  

If anything, these types of movies further promote the fantasies of future rapists much more than the Hitman Absolution trailer. 

#50 Posted by Animasta (14711 posts) -

@AlexW00d: because governmental health care is for the poors and if there's one thing america hates, it's poor people