RapeLay makes mainstream Australian media

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By Captain_Insano

Just in case people don't know, internet censorship is rearing its head here. It was only a matter of time before something like this got out. Checking out my favourite newspaper's website just now made me see this as a prominent article. (Despite being on here for a while I still don't know how to link sites)

I knew my fellow GiantBombers would appreciate this

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/games/rape-simulator-game-goes-viral-amid-calls-for-censorship-20100331-rcpz.html

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

*shakes head*

""While I don't think that playing games causes people to go out and do things, what it can do for those who may already have that preclusion is further break down social barriers to them taking that action," she said.""

Translation: playing games makes people go out and do things.

I found that remarkably funny, telling us you don't think so then saying in the exact same sentence that you do think so, That is the way its all ways been those that are prone to such activities such as violence, rape...ect when they play a violent and or rape game then they go out and do it...they are people too so therefor playing games makes people go out and do things...

*note: I don't think that playing games makes even those prone to certain activities go out and do things, they are playing the game for a reason to do those activities without the consequences a person that goes out and does a violent act or rapes someone was going to do it regardless of playing the game.*

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 7

#4  Edited By apathylad

CNN recently did a story discussing the game and why they felt it was inappropriate. The fact they are upset about a piece of fiction that was never distributed to Western countries is just silly. Especially considering how a game like this isn't unusual by Japanese standards, and it is a business. I've always said that one of the bigger distinctions between America and other countries is that the US is accepting of violence, but restrictive when it comes to sex, while in other countries it's the other way around.

ptys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 14

#5  Edited By ptys

"While I don't think that playing games causes people to go out and do things, what it can do for those who may already have that preclusion is further break down social barriers to them taking that action," she said. I see her point   But censorship is no the way to go, the people that want to get to this content will find a way. It's weird, a guy at work lived in Japan and told me how the game is based on actual services provided to horny Japanese businessmen, they get off on the idea of these acts.

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By TwoLines
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" *shakes head*  ""While I don't think that playing games causes people to go out and do things, what it can do for those who may already have that preclusion is further break down social barriers to them taking that action," she said.""  Translation: playing games makes people go out and do things.  I found that remarkably funny, telling us you don't think so then saying in the exact same sentence that you do think so, That is the way its all ways been those that are prone to such activities such as violence, rape...ect when they play a violent and or rape game then they go out and do it...they are people too so therefor playing games makes people go out and do things...  *note: I don't think that playing games makes even those prone to certain activities go out and do things, they are playing the game for a reason to do those activities without the consequences a person that goes out and does a violent act or rapes someone was going to do it regardless of playing the game.* "
Not exactly- she said that the game does not brain wash you to do these things- but even the existance of this games furthers our barriers.
Which is true- making rape into a game is making it look harmless. Playing the game won't make you go out and rape people, but it makes it look acceptable.
gunslingerNZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By gunslingerNZ

I'm very anti-censorship but do we really need games where you pretend to rape people... It's all very creepy.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ryanwho

Its funny watching the birth of a fabricated fluff news story. Yep, healthcare is over, so until some random famous person dies this is what we get. A sudden urgency to stop the spread of a 5 year old game.

Jost1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#9  Edited By Jost1

hahahhahahaha

s-a-n-JR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#10  Edited By s-a-n-JR

Ugh, just let this story die already...
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@TwoLines said:
" @WilliamRLBaker said:
" *shakes head*  ""While I don't think that playing games causes people to go out and do things, what it can do for those who may already have that preclusion is further break down social barriers to them taking that action," she said.""  Translation: playing games makes people go out and do things.  I found that remarkably funny, telling us you don't think so then saying in the exact same sentence that you do think so, That is the way its all ways been those that are prone to such activities such as violence, rape...ect when they play a violent and or rape game then they go out and do it...they are people too so therefor playing games makes people go out and do things...  *note: I don't think that playing games makes even those prone to certain activities go out and do things, they are playing the game for a reason to do those activities without the consequences a person that goes out and does a violent act or rapes someone was going to do it regardless of playing the game.* "
Not exactly- she said that the game does not brain wash you to do these things- but even the existance of this games furthers our barriers. Which is true- making rape into a game is making it look harmless. Playing the game won't make you go out and rape people, but it makes it look acceptable. "
Actually there's a difference between breaking down barriers and causing those prone to such activities or thoughts going out and doing it. I don't believe it breaks down barriers people with the right mindset and morals will allways think of it as wrong.
But she says exactly that those prone to it will be more prone to it because of playing those games, Which is the same thing as someone going out and doing a thing cause they could in a game.
They were going to do that act eventually without that game, I don't believe for a second its the catalyst for them going out and doing it.
shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By shirogane
@WilliamRLBaker said:
" @TwoLines said:
" @WilliamRLBaker said:
Not exactly- she said that the game does not brain wash you to do these things- but even the existance of this games furthers our barriers. Which is true- making rape into a game is making it look harmless. Playing the game won't make you go out and rape people, but it makes it look acceptable. "
Actually there's a difference between breaking down barriers and causing those prone to such activities or thoughts going out and doing it. I don't believe it breaks down barriers people with the right mindset and morals will allways think of it as wrong. But she says exactly that those prone to it will be more prone to it because of playing those games, Which is the same thing as someone going out and doing a thing cause they could in a game. They were going to do that act eventually without that game, I don't believe for a second its the catalyst for them going out and doing it. "

I'm gonna say that in this particular  situation, anybody who is going to play this game, probably already has some moral issues. Although this doesn't really occur all the time...or does it?
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13  Edited By Jeust
@WilliamRLBaker said:

" @TwoLines said:

" @WilliamRLBaker said:

Actually there's a difference between breaking down barriers and causing those prone to such activities or thoughts going out and doing it. I don't believe it breaks down barriers people with the right mindset and morals will allways think of it as wrong. But she says exactly that those prone to it will be more prone to it because of playing those games, Which is the same thing as someone going out and doing a thing cause they could in a game. They were going to do that act eventually without that game, I don't believe for a second its the catalyst for them going out and doing it. "
And you are right, as playing GTA will not make a person go out and shoot everybody. If that happened we would live in a world wild west. 

People do bad things. We have to stop trying to find a reason into everything and trying to complicate this world, our lives and the lives of others. Rapelay as it gives place to rape phantasies also leaves them in cyberspace where a person can safely act upon their nature. 

Banning it will only take us to the next dispicable thing a lobby group will try to ban. 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By ryanwho

Nono, see, perfectly normal people want to simulate raping families of women including a little girl. Its not real you guys, wanting to simulate doing awful things just means you're super normal and have a grip on reality.

Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jeust
@ryanwho said:

" Nono, see, perfectly normal people want to simulate raping families of women including a little girl. Its not real you guys, wanting to simulate doing awful things just means you're super normal and have a grip on reality. "

Define "normal" and a "grip on reality". 

Normal is a subjective concept, that is generally morally restrictive, and doesn't adapt or relate to anybody in existence. 

A grip of reality is also subjective, and as much as you want to see it, it is also restrictive and unreal, since it varies greatly in scope of what you view as the "reality".   

If you try to ban it for being wrong and worth condemning, then by all means ban everything related to violence, sex, drugs, alcohol... 
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ryanwho

I feel pretty alright saying if you want to simulate raping women you're not normal. And you say, GTA simulates killing people. Scept it doesnt, its a crime game where killing can happen. Rape doesn't happen in the game, it is the game. I don't care if you've counterprogrammed your fetishes into some grander ideal of moral subjectivity so you don't feel bad about jacking off to rape sims, but have fun debating that with people who care enough to try and prove you wrong even though its clearly pointless trying. Lolicon debate, part 2. Ugh.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 4

I just heard about this deplorable new rape simulation game called Custer's Revenge and I am outraged! Someone get word of this to the AU government so they can ban this sick filth!
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jeust
@ryanwho said:

" I feel pretty alright saying if you want to simulate raping women you're not normal. And you say, GTA simulates killing people. Scept it doesnt, its a crime game where killing can happen. Rape doesn't happen in the game, it is the game. I don't care if you've counterprogrammed your fetishes into some grander ideal of moral subjectivity so you don't feel bad about jacking off to rape sims, but have fun debating that with people who care enough to try and prove you wrong even though its clearly pointless trying. Lolicon debate, part 2. Ugh. "

it's pointless, but it's not about fetishes. It's about logic. 

You can't play GTA without killing or doing something illegal, isn't it? Then if the logic that playing Raplelay made you a pedophile and a rapist is true, you can say that playing GTA made you a gangster isn't it?  

And does that logic stick to reality? 

It doesn't.  

Also you can define something by saying what it isn't. You can't define yellow by saying it isn't blue. There isn't a definition for "normal". "Normal" is what you want it to be.   

So let's just leave the false moralisms at the door.
c1337us

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By c1337us

I was listening to Howard Satlers inverview with that women on the radio this afternoon. It wasnt too bad I guess.

Dark_Jon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Dark_Jon

I agree with Penn Jillette.

Avatar image for hooligantuesday
HooliganTuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By HooliganTuesday

Thanks for keeping it creepy Japan.

roninenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By roninenix

Oh man, that's going to get RapeLay out there more into the public. Lol.

pallorwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By pallorwag

Imagine the controversy over a game, where you play a serial killer. I can't really think of one, if there is one.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By penguindust
@SuperfluousMoniker said:
" I just heard about this deplorable new rape simulation game called Custer's Revenge and I am outraged! Someone get word of this to the AU government so they can ban this sick filth! "
This is what I was thinking.  Way to jump on the bandwagon 4 years after the game has been released exclusively to Japan.  What's next?  Complaints about these violent rap lyrics or an "in depth" look at just who your children are talking to in AOL chat rooms?
Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Tennmuerti

Sigh, I really got to get off my lazy ass at some point and download the game just to see what is all the fuss about >.>

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#26  Edited By armaan8014
@josty81 said:
" hahahhahahaha "
metal_mills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27  Edited By metal_mills

Only 4 years late.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28  Edited By Ace829
@pallorwag said:
" Imagine the controversy over a game, where you play a serial killer. I can't really think of one, if there is one. "
Isn't that ManHunt? (never played it)
penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By penguindust
@Ace829:   I think Manhunt is more about being a participant in a "snuff film". 
BrockSampson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#30  Edited By BrockSampson

The average newscaster or videogame outsider doesn't understand that games like that only exist on the fringe. Almost everyone would have never heard of the game before if it weren't for these idiots talking about it.

EvolutionX0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#31  Edited By EvolutionX0

wow nice one CNN, now everyone's going to fucking download it. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By jakob187

1.  Where did they get the info on RapeLay?  Did they get it from our wiki page?  If so, AWESOME! 

2.  You don't get points for "forced abortions".  As a matter of fact, the forced abortions and suicides only happen if they get pregnant, and it's not something that is controlled by the character. 

3.  I highly doubt that a single one of those people involved with the story has actually played RapeLay.  If they had, then they'd know that all sexual acts only START as rape, and then the girls actually are willing while they are having sex for a bit. 

Stupid media...

apathylad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#33  Edited By apathylad
@pallorwag said:

" Imagine the controversy over a game, where you play a serial killer. I can't really think of one, if there is one. "

Dexter. It's more known for being a TV show and a series of books, but there's also an iPhone game.

@Dark_Jon

Jillette does a good job of giving his opinion on this matter.

napalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By napalm

Does this game have simulated, graphic rape scenes, or is it just crap like lifting up skirts?

Regardless, I think rape in any form in any media should be banned. I'm not one who agrees with censorship, but I feel like rape goes way over the line.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ryanwho
@jakob187 said:
" 1.  Where did they get the info on RapeLay?  Did they get it from our wiki page?  If so, AWESOME!  2.  You don't get points for "forced abortions".  As a matter of fact, the forced abortions and suicides only happen if they get pregnant, and it's not something that is controlled by the character.  3.  I highly doubt that a single one of those people involved with the story has actually played RapeLay.  If they had, then they'd know that all sexual acts only START as rape, and then the girls actually are willing while they are having sex for a bit.  Stupid media... "
Right, you train the family of women to be sex slaves first by force and blackmail. I'm sure if they knew that they would have less of a story.
Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#36  Edited By Captain_Insano

The thing I find most hilarious about an article like the one I posted is that, outside of GB, I had never ever heard of RapeLay, nor would I ever have found out about it. Now fucken everyone knows about it, including kids who end up on newspaper websites, probably as homework or assignments (e.g find an article about something you like. They go to the net and go to a newspaper website and type 'video games' and voila!. RapeLay fun time)

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By SoothsayerGB

@ryanwho said:

" Nono, see, perfectly normal people want to simulate raping families of women including a little girl. Its not real you guys, wanting to simulate doing awful things just means you're super normal and have a grip on reality. "
 This is true.  Ask any competent shrink.  Goes for pedophiles too.  It's completely normal for a adult  to have sexual feelings for a child.  But it is completely abnormal to act on those feelings.

Also, those writers must not know that Rape is legal in Japan.  Its their friggin national past time.  Like Baseball to the US.
raiz265

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By raiz265

took them some time to find that one