Rayman Legends, Lord of the Rings Head to Next-Gen

patrickklepek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By patrickklepek

Rayman Legends is jumping onto Xbox One and PlayStation 4 next February, and Monolith is working on Middle-Earth: Shadows of Mordor for every platform that’s not called Wii U.

No Caption Provided

Ubisoft revealed the Rayman Legends news on a conference call, and so far, it doesn’t sound like the game’s getting anything special for its new platform destinations. That’s okay, though, since Rayman Legends is a god damn incredible platformer that you should play.

Middle-Earth: Shadows of Mordor is the latest game you need to buy a copy of Game Informer to know more about, but the press releases sets this before the events of Lord of the Rings:

“In Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor, gamers take on the role of Talion, a valiant ranger whose family is slain in front of him the night Sauron and his army return to Mordor, moments before his own life is taken. Resurrected by a Spirit of vengeance and empowered with Wraith abilities, Talion ventures into Mordor and vows to destroy those who have wronged him. Through the course of his personal vendetta, Talion uncovers the truth of the Spirit that compels him, learns the origins of the Rings of Power and ultimately confronts his true nemesis.”

Despite being set outside of the main trilogy, the developers are collaborating with Peter Jackson’s camp to ensure the storyline doesn’t contradict what comes later in the world.

The only detail we know about the game right now is the Nemesis System, which sounds pretty interesting, should it work as advertised:

“Every enemy that players face is a unique individual, differentiated by their personality, strengths and weaknesses. Through the Nemesis System, enemy relationships and characteristics are shaped by player actions and decisions to create personal archenemies that remember and adapt to the player and are distinct to every gameplay session. Gamers are able to craft their own battles, enemies and rewards within the dynamic world that remembers and adapts to their choices, delivering a unique experience to every player.”

The game doesn’t even have a release year yet, so hoping for 2014 might be presumptuous.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Wait, Rayman's set in the LOTR universe? Since when?

Zaapp1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

That reminds me, I should totally get Rayman on Wii U...

mrsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By mrsmiley

I would be excited about the new LotR game if it wasn't being made by Monolith. They are great at releasing games that have great potential, but that are littered with bugs (Gotham City Impostors Guardians of Middle Earth). They proceed to half-heartedly "fix" the games for around 6 months before completely abandoning them without so much as a forum post announcing they are done supporting the game. Maybe they're just WB's bitch and can't do anything about it, but it still sucks.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

sweet, ill totally buy rayman legends on ps4.

kinda makes me think that them doing this so quickly means that next gen ports are cheap to make,

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

Wait, Rayman's set in the LOTR universe? Since when?

rayman's what mordor dreams of, funnily enough

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

What exactly is the point of putting Rayman on the PS4 and Xbone? It's all hand-drawn art so it's not like the game will look or run any better.

cooljammer00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never played God of War, but that LOTR game sounds like God of War. Or at the very least, Dante's Inferno.

Rattle618

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rattle618

God damn it stop using LoTR for bullshit fantasy stories that dont fit at all with what the books are going for, just make up another ip, Lord of the... Wizards, there you go, you can stop butchering LoTR now.

Vod_Crack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RIP Monolith Productions

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

That’s okay, though, since Rayman Legends is a god damn incredible platformer that you should play.

Seriously... go play this game.

It saddens me to see the lack of success of this game... even better than Origins.

johncallahan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By johncallahan

@taku128: A colleague of mine asked the same thing this morning. I truly don't know why someone would think this is a bad thing. Ubi should put that game everywhere they can, more chances for people to buy and play a wonderful game that needs more support.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Smart move to put Rayman on the new consoles. Ubi has a soft portfolio of games for Q1 with Watch Dogs delayed. The game also did not sell to their expectations, so if they can eke out a few more copies to next-gen owners starving for something to play early in the year, so much the better.

jimmyfenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lego Marvel got delayed on X1 so i guess Warner had to get the news about a new guardians game out quick!

LoktarOgar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I literally can't imagine how PS4/Xbone versions of Rayman Legends could/would look better than the PS360 versions we have now, unless they're making it 4K or something. Performance and artwork is pretty much perfect as it is. I mean, I guess they could cut out the loadscreens or something, but those actually serve a purpose, so that'd be a change for the worse.

TechnoSyndrome

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 34

@johncallahan: Who would buy a PS4 or Xbone that doesn't already own a 360, PS3, PC, Wii U or Vita though? It's not expanding the audience at all so it just seems like a waste of money.

Cybexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just happy to see Monolith working on something that isn't a download-only competitive multiplayer game, I think they've done an admirable job in that space but they've done their best work in single player.

A LOTR licensed game isn't quite the No One Lives Forever 3 I would hope for but it could be potentially cool. It sounds like a Bioware game.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

God damn it stop using LoTR for bullshit fantasy stories that dont fit at all with what the books are going for, just make up another ip, Lord of the... Wizards, there you go, you can stop butchering LoTR now.

I dunno, as a LoTR fan I'm really interested in expanded universe stuff. As long as the lore is legit, who cares when or where it takes place?

Just imagine if no one ever made a Star Wars game outside the movie fiction. *shudder*

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man that Lord of The Rings description is hilarious. It's dripping with 90s style Grimdark Baditude. I hope Talions last name is Bloodhawk.

Mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

It's a riddle. What's the Elvish word for "friend"?

Pudge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Whenever I read that LotR description, it reminds me of the recent Nicolas Cage vehicle Drive Angry. This makes me pleased.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Monolith having to make Lord of the Ring games now makes my soul weep. Condemned and F.E.A.R. were so good. They deserve better.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Rayman Legends: Getting sent out to die a second time.

Jazz_Lafayette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is the "true nemesis" Morgoth? It sounds like Morgoth.

Also, isn't this the plot of The Crow?

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

Holy hell, you're right. Now I can't stop seeing Brandon Lee in Crow attire killing the shit out of orcs in Mordor.

felakuti4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shots fired at Game Informer!

Also here's hoping that whatever the "Nemesis system" is will be implemented into an open-world No One Lives Forever

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Hopefully people will buy Rayman now.

MormonWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 21

#30  Edited By MormonWarrior

Rayman Legends: 2013 GOTY and 2014's 2013 Game of the Year.

Freaking game of every year as far as I'm concerned. Forget all this GTA vs. BioShock vs. Last of Us bullcrap...RAYMAN.

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By shinjin977

The subtitle momentarily confused me before I remembered there's more than one Monolith.

If it was made by Monolith Soft this game just might be the best thing ever.

JesusHammer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why does almost every LotR game besides LotRO have to fuck the lore so hard? Goddamn it. I just want a non-MMO Tolkien based game that doesn't mess with the lore.

WouldYouKindly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully the PS4 version of Rayman Legends allows you to play the touch screen levels using the vita. Would be the best of both worlds.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hailinel said:

@dark_lord_spam said:

Holy hell, you're right. Now I can't stop seeing Brandon Lee in Crow attire killing the shit out of orcs in Mordor.

Also also, isn't this sort of the plot of Spawn?

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad I held off on Legends.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@bisonhero said:

@hailinel said:

@dark_lord_spam said:

Also also, isn't this sort of the plot of Spawn?

I might remember it wrong, but I don't think Spawn was resurrected and fueled by revenge... Instead he was introduced by Malebolgia to do its bidding until he rebelled.

The Crow comparison, though, is spot on.

Samba_P

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Passed on Origins on the 360 because I was hoping for a next gen version, couldn't be more happy about this.