• 54 results
#1 Edited by Metal_Mills (2989 posts) -

Channelx99, a poster on the overclock.net forums, says that the Razer Naga gaming mouse comes with special drivers that require your computer to be connected to the Internet at all times in order to play -- and this means that the mouse was useless when it was first plugged in, because Razer's servers were down.  Parsing the Razer license agreement, Channelx99 finds that Razer reserves the right to spy on all your activity and to sell or data-mine that data.

http://boingboing.net/2012/11/07/razer-naga-gaming-mouse-requir.html

This is what happens when you keep pirates mouses! This is the weirdest DRM I've ever seen. Apparently it causes the mouse to be sluggish and lag too. And to top it off, spyware! Wow.
#2 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Haha, that's fantastic. 
Next up: a gaming mouse will come with a registration key of some kind but after you've installed it 3 times (without uninstalling the mouse properly) it won't work anymore and you have to call support. 

#3 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

Wait, people install the "drivers" from the discs included with the mouse? I always found that superfluous and it would always run some shit program that didn't do anything at all that hogged up resources. 

#4 Posted by TobbRobb (4596 posts) -

Now you can buy a shitty $60 mouse that breaks in two weeks AND spies on you! Sounds like a deal to me!

PEOPLE, BUY STEELSERIES AND LOGITECH! DONT SUPPORT SHIT LIKE THIS.

#5 Posted by mordukai (7150 posts) -

Read about it last week. Still sound unreal and insane. Return it and never touch another Razer product ever again.

#6 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

The question this raises is what exactly are they trying to prevent or mitigate? Last I checked, mouses can't be downloaded or torrented.

#7 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

Was thinking of getting this but wound up with the g400 logitech mouse instead. Definitely not going to get anything from Razer now.

#8 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Good idea. This will stop people from downloading mouses.

#9 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@CL60 said:

Would you steal a handbag?  
Would you steal a car?  
Would you download a mouse?
#10 Posted by Vexxan (4618 posts) -

Never owned a Razer product, seems like I'll continue staying away from their stuff.

#11 Posted by Laurentech (127 posts) -

Lol. That's so incredibly dumb. Well, at least I know I won't be buying a Razer mouse any time soon.

#12 Posted by iAmJohn (6117 posts) -

Razer is scum. Their products used to be awesome, now they're essentially the Monster cables of the video game world. What a shame.

#13 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@Jack268 said:

Wait, people install the "drivers" from the discs included with the mouse? I always found that superfluous and it would always run some shit program that didn't do anything at all that hogged up resources.

Depends on the mice, for some there's, button, DPI & hertz settings you can't change without them.

#14 Posted by Sweetz (508 posts) -

So we're accepting claims made by one poster on a forum reportable news now?

Well in that case, let me reveal that the Wii U is going to play XBox 360 games. You heard it here first. I'm super reliable.

#15 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Sooty said:

@Jack268 said:

Depends on the mice, for some there's, button, DPI & hertz settings you can't change without them.

Exactly
#16 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

This is just sad.

#17 Posted by ShockD (2401 posts) -

I really hope that this applies only for the Naga and not other Razer products.

#18 Posted by dekkadekkadekka (732 posts) -

@ShockD said:

I really hope that this applies only for the Naga and not other Razer products.

All Razer products going forward apparently.

If you have an affected product (lucky me) and you really don't want Razer to monitor you or run the risk of the software fucking up your gaming, you can quite easily block the applications at the firewall level. As long as you've logged in at least once, you'll still be able to configure your mouse however you want. I used the guide here, pretty easy to do: http://www.trishtech.com/win7/block_a_program_in_windows_firewall.php

#19 Posted by MikkaQ (10283 posts) -

That's why I don't install any of the software that came with the blackwidow keyboard. It's a damn keyboard. I mean... I can't program key macros or whatever, but those are just about useless to anyone who can type faster than a 4 year old.

#20 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

Razer is a joke, all flash no substance.

#21 Posted by Jams (2960 posts) -

The only Razer product I own is the Onza Tournament edition 360 controller. It has to be the worst piece of shit I've ever owned. It was really expensive, looks expensive but malfunctions within months of light use. I've come to believe there's no quality control department there. Then again, I've been having some real trouble with my Steelseries 7g keyboard and xai mouse. They're all shit. Logitech has actually still worked great for me. MX518 for life!

#22 Edited by mordukai (7150 posts) -

@Sooty said:

@Jack268 said:

is right. In his original post the user goes on to say that without installing the drivers the mouse only has basic functionalities.

Razer forces you to create an account with them before you can use the software with the mouse. You cant configure the mouse in any way until you make an account with them and activate your computer and account through their server. If they decide to take down their activation server for any reason, you will never be able to use the software. If you live somewhere without access to internet, you will not be able to activate and use the software. If you work somewhere that has a network behind firewalls, chances are even though you can download the Synapse software, the firewall may also block you from activating and using the software as well.
If your connection drops out for any reason, the Synapse software will make a habbit of locking up on you while it transitions to offline mode. During that time your settings may revert or possibly not be saved.
Yes, you can use the mouse as plug and play with basic functionality if you choose not to make an account and activate your computer, but who pays $80 for a basic plug and play mouse? The reason people buy the Naga 2012 is the configurable buttons and to change the DPI, polling rate, set up macros and profiles along with everything else. Razer has no right to lock this away from customers who paid for these features. For the Naga 2012 mouse, there is no other offline drivers to revert to. Synapse 2.0 is your only option.
#23 Posted by thomasnash (549 posts) -

@CL60 said:

@SathingtonWaltz said:

The question this raises is what exactly are they trying to prevent or mitigate? Last I checked, mouses can't be downloaded or torrented.

from the quote in the first post, It seems to be about getting an extra revenue stream from selling the data they collect with the spyware, so the DRM is just to make sure they're getting that data. Pretty shady.

#24 Posted by Nonapod (126 posts) -

The decision makers at Razor are obviously complete morons.

Why? They're making and marketing products whose primary demographic is hardcore PC gamers. Hardcore PC gamers are notoriously well informed about and passionately against companies that practice these sorts of shenanigans. This is the sort of crap that could lead to boycotts from their customer base and could mean the eventual end of their company.

#25 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

Now you can buy a shitty $60 mouse that breaks in two weeks AND spies on you! Sounds like a deal to me!

Preach it, sister!

#26 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Jams: Fuck yeah, MX518!
I've had mine since 2005 and the only thing broken about it is that the logo on top of it has peeled off and the sticker that said something like "MX518blablabla" on the bottom is gone too. 
#27 Posted by 71Ranchero (2737 posts) -

Lets all flip the fuck out like we always do and then forget all about it the next week.

#28 Posted by Nonapod (126 posts) -

@Atramentous said:

Lets all flip the fuck out like we always do and then forget all about it the next week.

True, people may forget about it next week. But when they go to buy another mouse they'll be thinking "Hey didn't Razor put that spyware shit in their drivers? Guess I won't be getting one of them?"

#29 Posted by Flacracker (1652 posts) -

What ever happened to that shitty tablet they were making?

#30 Posted by Draugen (636 posts) -

Aaaaand I'm done with Razer...

#31 Posted by aceofspudz (937 posts) -

I have the new Razer Blade and it's damn awesome. I have a blackwidow keyboard as well and it's great. I don't see why one company is suddenly shit because they put out some bad software.

#32 Posted by kgb0515 (411 posts) -

I bought a R.A.T. 5 mouse and installed the software so I could save DPI profiles, but then Avast flagged the software as spyware and deleted it. The mouse isn't unuseable without the software from Cyborg, and DPI is still controllable with the included DPI toggle. I just can't fine tune my sensitivity anymore. I guess Razer isn't alone in doing this, but that DRM thing sounds horrendous.

#33 Posted by Bwast (1342 posts) -

It requires a one time activation, not a constant connection. Still shitty, yes, but let's not spread lies here. The "spyware" isn't really spyware. All information gathered is anonymous unless you voluntarily give your personal information to them. Sharing of the personal information is only done when it's necessary to provide a service(not sure what this means) or comply with the law. They do, however, have the right to restrict services or features if you don't volunteer your information. I'm not sure what kind of fucked up circumstances would warrant that but even so it's ridiculous. The whole justification for the online thing is that macros and shit where taking up too much onboard memory and it was causing the price of the mouse to go up so they moved to cloud storage. Razer mice are already overpriced and people buy them anyway, I don't see why increasing costs would stop them.

In short: it stinks. It's not as cloak and dagger as people are claiming but it's still dumb. And I'm not sure I buy the reason for having to go online, either.

#34 Posted by FritzDude (2262 posts) -

Now I don't know what the case is With this Naga mouse, I thought All mice would work when plugged in if they are plug-&-play, & will use the global drivers from the operatingsystem, though hardware that has more than a simple Three button configuration would need specific drivers to work properly, or at least take full advantage of, but it needs constant internet Connection? That's New to me. But "Spying" & "data mining" are hardly any News With software today, is it? Almost anything installed gathers information for marketing & tactical use, just read the licensing agreements before installing software. When you Accept them then you also agree to them collecting data from you, & it's not personal or sensitive, so it's not "spyware", as that would gather more than just Your system & is a hidden install without recognition for malicious use.

#35 Posted by Pazy (2563 posts) -

Well thats decided, never buying Razer.

#36 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1958 posts) -

What the shit? Well, looks like I'm never installing the software for my deathadder. This is really lame Razer, I guess it's back to either Logitech or Microsoft.

#37 Posted by Ben_H (3338 posts) -
@RollingZeppelin said:

What the shit? Well, looks like I'm never installing the software for my deathadder. This is really lame Razer, I guess it's back to either Logitech or Microsoft.

Get the drivers from around 2010. They don't have this stuff and still work. That is what I used a few months ago with my Death Adder. 

@Bwast said:

It requires a one time activation, not a constant connection. Still shitty, yes, but let's not spread lies here. The "spyware" isn't really spyware. All information gathered is anonymous unless you voluntarily give your personal information to them. Sharing of the personal information is only done when it's necessary to provide a service(not sure what this means) or comply with the law. They do, however, have the right to restrict services or features if you don't volunteer your information. I'm not sure what kind of fucked up circumstances would warrant that but even so it's ridiculous. The whole justification for the online thing is that macros and shit where taking up too much onboard memory and it was causing the price of the mouse to go up so they moved to cloud storage. Razer mice are already overpriced and people buy them anyway, I don't see why increasing costs would stop them.

In short: it stinks. It's not as cloak and dagger as people are claiming but it's still dumb. And I'm not sure I buy the reason for having to go online, either.

Exactly. Anyone who browses Team Liquid will already be familiar with this topic as it was discussed there a while ago. After the first activation you can set it to offline mode and never have to connect again.
#38 Posted by thedj93 (1237 posts) -

truly orwellian, except in this case it's the corporations spying on you and not the government. that's fucked.

#39 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1958 posts) -

@Ben_H: Ah, I thought this seemed a little too shady to be as bad as it was being made out to be. It's always good to have a voice of reason in these threads, but I bet the majority of people here will ignore your post and continue freaking out. Still, I don't like what they're doing here, but I suppose google does the exact same thing so I can't really complain.

#40 Posted by captain_clayman (3320 posts) -

This is insane. Razer can go fuck themselves, there are better brands out there anyways. I'd buy a sturdy logitech over a flashy razer with freaking spyware on it.

#41 Posted by Subjugation (4719 posts) -

My Naga was plug and play. I never installed the software. I guess I'm good?

#42 Posted by onarum (2066 posts) -

I'm using the corsair vengeance m60 mouse, it's pretty fucking solid, also cheaper then 90% of razer ones, I'm very glad I've decided not to go with a razer mouse

#43 Edited by Halcypher (16 posts) -

Well thanks Razer!

Shady guy sold me the schematics for the Naga - £50

Bought the laser, accelerometer, weights and cables - £80

Paid for materials and time on a 3D printer - £100

Just about to start building my own mouse when I read this - Priceless!

No way I was going to spend £59.99 on actually buying one.

#44 Posted by Fearbeard (826 posts) -

Wow, terrible plan Razr.

Though I have been enjoying my Razr Onza xbox 360 controller, I'll definitely steer clear of their PC products

#45 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@Metal_Mills: I had a Naga Epic for about 24 hours. I can report that the software was incredibly slow, crashed often, the mouse would hang, forget which color to be on, and jump around.

I tried reinstalling software over and over again, and this was on a fresh install of Win 7 (just built a computer). I returned the bitch

#46 Posted by Giantstalker (1624 posts) -

@onarum said:

I'm using the corsair vengeance m60 mouse, it's pretty fucking solid, also cheaper then 90% of razer ones, I'm very glad I've decided not to go with a razer mouse

This here. This is the mouse people should be using. The M60 is boss, period.

#47 Posted by GreggD (4487 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@Sooty said:

@Jack268 said:

Exactly

Yeah, my G9x requires Setpoint, otherwise it would act really, really fucking weird.

#48 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@Azteck said:

@TobbRobb said:

Preach it, sister!

+1 Million

Bought a Logitech g700 and I'm amazed at the quality again and again. (battery is meh, but it's rechargeable)

#49 Posted by forkboy (1135 posts) -

@Atramentous said:

Well I've certainly made a mental note to steer clear of Razer the next time I buy a mouse. Much like I have bought zero Ubisoft PC games since their decision to use what could politely be called excessive DRM on their games. I reward companies like Paradox who steer clear of obtrusive DRM with my money, avoid those who use it.

#50 Posted by mao16 (107 posts) -

Well now i'll never consider buying a razor product again.