• 71 results
#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (763 posts) -

#2 Posted by Morrow (1829 posts) -

Never having played any of the games of either franchise, I can only say what I heard, which is both went pretty down the hill. Still, I'd be curious to check out the newest installments like Downpour or RE 6. I also think it would be interesting to compare the opinions of people who played the first few games of the franchises to the ones who haven't, and only now the newer games.

I generally think it's hard to be objective in this case.

#3 Posted by TobbRobb (4732 posts) -

Silent Hill by far. They went from crappy games with awesome atmosphere, story, characters and mystery to crappy games with barely anything of the good. Resident Evil isn't really bad now, it's just different. They threw out scary for action. I'd call that less downhill and more like a sidestep. It's bound to piss off fans though.

#4 Edited by Kedi2 (252 posts) -

Silent Hill for sure. RE 4 is practically my favorite game ever, and while RE 5 really didn't feel like much of an RE game, I still enjoyed it. I'm definitely a bit worried for RE 6 based on what they've shown, but even if it does turn out to be bad, I feel that RE will still have much more integrity intact than SH.

#5 Posted by Symptomz (130 posts) -

I've been playing both since their first entries and it's Silent Hill by far. I really enjoyed RE5 and I can't say the same about the last mainline SH games. Still haven't tried Shattered Memories though, I head it's pretty good.

#6 Posted by xaLieNxGrEyx (2605 posts) -

Silent Hill has. Only because Silent Hill 2 is the pinnacle of so many examples of video game perfection.

Resident Evil 5 is still far worse than anything Silent Hill has done to itself.

#7 Posted by Svenzon (722 posts) -

Silent Hill. After the second game, that series has only been getting worse and worse.

Resident Evil 5, while flawed, is still a really solid game.

#8 Posted by SuperSambo (2879 posts) -

I don't see the hate for RE5 at all, loved it.

SH on the other hand... The new Sonic.

#9 Posted by Pimpsandwich (74 posts) -

Resident Evil at least changed into a fun Co-op experience, even if there's no horror elements anymore. Silent Hill on the other hand has gone from scary to trying so hard to be scary, but lacking developers who know how to make a scary game.

#10 Posted by TheSilentGod (139 posts) -

Overall I think Silent Hill has probably gone downhill more than Resident Evil, but Downpour is a solid game and RE 5 was solid but a far cry from 4 for me personally. Silent Hill 2 was a masterpiece and no game since has managed to reach that same level, but I suspect Silent Hill has a smaller budget than Capcom's Powerhouse franchise these days. I hope Resident Evil 6 turns out well, but that series needs to get over its identity crisis and find some harmony between horror and action, or just drop the horror altogether if it can't.

#11 Posted by Hizang (8532 posts) -

Last time I checked Silent Hill had no good games.

#12 Posted by jjnen (661 posts) -
@TobbRobb

Silent Hill by far. They went from crappy games with awesome atmosphere, story, characters and mystery to crappy games with barely anything of the good. Resident Evil isn't really bad now, it's just different. They threw out scary for action. I'd call that less downhill and more like a sidestep. It's bound to piss off fans though.

You nailed it.
#13 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2025 posts) -

Silent Hill. Goes from four games ranging wildly in actual playability with awesome atmosphere and mythologies, to being offensively bad games with crappy call backs and shitty twists stolen from previous games.

RE just changed, that's all. Whether you like the early B-movie flick games or the modern shooters, they're (for the most part) all good.

#14 Posted by Quarters (1748 posts) -

Silent Hill. Resident Evil actually still makes good games. Silent Hill...not so much. I still enjoy the atmosphere/plot, but the games are leaning more and more towards becoming buggy messes.

#15 Posted by bibamatt (1089 posts) -

I've gone with Resident Evil, which seems like the unpopular choice. Operation Raccoon City was absolute dogshit and the series has been peppered with bad side project games. On the Silent Hill side, Downpour was a solid game that kept true to the series roots (it didn't become a shooter or a co-op game) and Shattered Memories was one of the best games of it's year. They've both had their share of great and bad games. But if I have to make a binary decision, I'd go with RE any day. Silent Hill has left me intrigued for the next one. I hope they continue with the horror. I couldn't give two shits about RE6. And RE, RE2 and RE4 are some of my favourite games ever.

#16 Posted by Symptomz (130 posts) -

Team Silent totally disbanded right? Is there no chance those fools will ever develop a game together again?

#17 Posted by Packie (255 posts) -

They both went downhill for me. But at least Silent Hill is still doing some interesting stuff regarding storytelling and atmosphere especially Shattered Memories, very impressed with that game. The recent Resident Evil games on the other hand... well they're not as good as the perfection that is RE4. :P

#18 Posted by Jack268 (3387 posts) -

SH 

RE at least has Revelaitons. I haven't played RE6 demo yet, but I'm hearing mixed-good reviews I guess.  Meanwhile both SH HD and Downpour received some really hardcore flaming both from fans and critics.

#19 Posted by Stonyman65 (2756 posts) -

They've both had their ups and downs, but Resident Evil is doing much better. I haven't heard anyone talk about Silent Hill without hearing "They're still making those? The last one has horrible" in or around the same sentence.

#20 Posted by fox01313 (5079 posts) -

SH has gone more downhill on just about all of it from what I've seen/played but I feel that RE has proceeded to hurt itself on the 360/ps3 with the game that haven't worked on updating the controls (for me it was the setting of Raccoon city that's memorable for me in RE, not the awkward controls).

#21 Posted by JeanLuc (3590 posts) -

Resident Evil maybe different then it was before but its games are still good (for the most part). Silent Hill stopped having good games after Silent Hill 3, with the exception of Shattered Memories.

#22 Posted by Nightriff (5141 posts) -

Resident Evil because SH has been downhill for a long time. RE4 was good up until 5 came out which was 3 years ago.

#23 Edited by Brodehouse (10067 posts) -

All-time Classics:

• Resident Evil 2
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Silent Hill 2

Pretty Good Games:

• Resident Evil (and REmake)
  • Resident Evil 3
  • Resident Evil: Code Veronica
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Silent Hill
  • Silent Hill 3
  • Silent Hill: The Room
  • Silent Hill: Shattered Memories

Not So Good:

• Resident Evil Outbreak
  • Resident Evil Outbreak File 2
  • Resident Evil Survivor
  • Resident Evil Survivor 2
  • Resident Evil Zero
  • Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles
  • Resident Evil Darkside Chronicles
  • Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D
  • Resident Evil: Revalaitons
  • Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City
  • Silent Hill Homecoming
  • Silent Hill Origins
  • Silent Hill Downpour

Man. There's been a lot of bad Resident Evil games.

#24 Posted by Kidavenger (3582 posts) -

I'd say that Resident Evil at it's peak was more popular than Silent Hill ever was so it's had further to fall and it has, also Resident Evil has a lot of very bad movies out there too...

#25 Edited by JamesJeux007 (479 posts) -

It's really hard to compare the two series, as Resident Evil has a LOT of spin-offs. But I'd say Resident Evil at least got (sometimes) decent gameplay to support all the crap. Silent Hill only has the horror. And like someone said already, if in a horror game the horror part is not good, then you don't have a game.

#26 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

i havent really played any silent hill games, but RE5 is the worst AAA game ive played in years. like its god awful, how anyone thinks its a good game is beyond me. its not scary, its got a terrible story, its got horrible unlikable characters, the control are stiff and awkward, the action segments feel forced, the inventory is a pain, the forced AI partner is terrible and is there purely for a co-op feature that basically ruins any sense of horror the game vaguely attempts at.

how i forced myself to play thorugh that mess is something i'll never know. but damn did i hate that game. i guess i felt obligated to beat it since i got it as a gift.

#27 Posted by TobbRobb (4732 posts) -

@Packie said:

They both went downhill for me. But at least Silent Hill is still doing some interesting stuff regarding storytelling and atmosphere especially Shattered Memories, very impressed with that game. The recent Resident Evil games on the other hand... well they're not as good as the perfection that is RE4. :P

This was in my inbox as a reply to me for some reason... Weird.

I actually never played Shattered memories, it probably won't change how I think about the series overall, but I should give that one a playthrough. It looks pretty damn good.

I'll stand by what I said about RE though, I think its similar in quality but with a changed focus. If you like the survival horror in your survival horror, then Re4 is just outleaguing the following games. But if you view RE5 as a silly co-op action game, it's really fun and well made and by no means bad.

#28 Posted by Symptomz (130 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

I'll stand by what I said about RE though, I think its similar in quality but with a changed focus. If you like the survival horror in your survival horror, then Re4 is just outleaguing the following games. But if you view RE5 as a silly co-op action game, it's really fun and well made and by no means bad.

I'm an old school RE fan and this is how I viewed it. I love everytime Wesker says "CHRISSSSSSSSSS".

#29 Posted by Scheds (464 posts) -

RE definitely has a lot of spin-offs and other B-material that, frankly, I've never really bothered digging into. But I've pretty much loved every numbered Resident Evil I've played, especially 4. I think that RE is at least trying to modernize itself in a way that still - in my opinion, of course - plays better and is certainly in the spirit of the series. Can't say the same about Silent Hill. Apart from 2,3 and SM, I've found each Silent Hill to be sort of middling at best (4) to offensively terrible (Homecoming).

It's also worth noting that I haven't played the first of either of these series, and have only watched a few clips on YouTube.

#30 Posted by CrossTheAtlantic (1146 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

All-time Classics:

• Resident Evil 2
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Silent Hill 2

Pretty Good Games:

• Resident Evil 3
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Silent Hill
  • Silent Hill 3

Not So Good:

• Resident Evil Outbreak
  • Resident Evil Survivor
  • Resident Evil Zero
  • Silent Hill Homecoming
  • Silent Hill Origins
  • Silent Hill Downpour

Yeah, this makes it hard for me to judge. In the core series, I think SH has had the larger drop in quality whereas I would argue that RE was never really that consistent as a series (overall) to begin with. Both hit their peak at 2, though, I do love RE4.

#31 Edited by ToTheNines (752 posts) -

Silent Hill. Since Resident Evil as I used to classify it, dosen't exist anymore. Not since code veronica. What is left is a completely different michael bay action experience. All though good in it's own right, it just has absolutely nothing to do with RE other than characters and setting. I don't get the love for RE4, it was a good action game, and a game with lots of hours in it. I think it took me about 20 hours to go through it the first time. But for me, thats where resident evil completely started going in another direction.

#32 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Silent Downhill Jam

#33 Posted by Sackmanjones (4738 posts) -

Re4 and 5, while disliked by some are overall considered to be great games (especially 4). Yeah raccoon city was an abomination but that's not the core franchise and anything out of the core has mostly been mediocre at best. So by default that makes silent hill more on the downslope. Homecoming was OK but that's stretching it. Downpour seemed enter but I didn't finish it

#34 Posted by believer258 (11984 posts) -

Resident Evil 5, the last main entry in the series, is a great game. It isn't what RE fans were expecting, it has some issues, and some parts are downright horribly designed especially toward the end, but for the most part the game is very fun and even better when played co-op. It only gets a bad reputation for the same reasons that Final Fantasy XII and Prince of Persia '08 get bad reputations - they aren't the exact same fucking game the fanbase was expecting to play again.

I've never played a Silent Hill game but most of them since three or four seem to be very poorly received, so I'd definitely say Silent Hill.

@Brodehouse said:

All-time Classics:

• Resident Evil 2
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Silent Hill 2

Pretty Good Games:

• Resident Evil 3
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Silent Hill
  • Silent Hill 3

Not So Good:

• Resident Evil Outbreak
  • Resident Evil Survivor
  • Resident Evil Zero
  • Silent Hill Homecoming
  • Silent Hill Origins
  • Silent Hill Downpour

8 Silent Hill games. 5 worth playing (according to you). That's 5/8

16 RE games. 6 worth playing (according to you). That's 6/16, simplified to 3/8.

If you were doing this mathematically then I guess you could say Resident Evil has gone more downhill, but it's at least pumped out a good game in the last few years.

#35 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

SH definitely. RE has changed to stay alive and relevant, for better or worse.

#36 Posted by MEATBALL (3319 posts) -

With games like Homecoming and Downpour, it's definitely Silent Hill (Shattered Memories was fucking brilliant, though, even if it wasn't scary). The worst non-spinoff Resident Evil games would be what, RE5 and Resident Evil Revelations? Those games aren't bad, no matter how much the fanboys froth at the mouth about how terrible they are.

#37 Posted by mrpandaman (866 posts) -

That's the name of the next SIlent Hill: Downhill.

Silent is on the downturn.

Anyways, RE I feel has diverted from what it originally was. They're a little up and down. Silent Hill, on the other hand, is stuck trying to figure itself out and it doesn't look like it's going to anytime soon.

#38 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

All-time Classics:

• Resident Evil 2
  • Resident Evil 4
  • Silent Hill 2

Pretty Good Games:

• Resident Evil 3
  • Resident Evil 5
  • Silent Hill
  • Silent Hill 3

Not So Good:

• Resident Evil Outbreak
  • Resident Evil Survivor
  • Resident Evil Zero
  • Silent Hill Homecoming
  • Silent Hill Origins
  • Silent Hill Downpour

You're counting spin-offs too which isn't really fair to RE since SH has no real spin-offs essentially, just main series entries.

#39 Posted by Redbullet685 (6052 posts) -

Silent Hill but not by too much.

#40 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11904 posts) -

Resident Evil Spinoffs have always been bad (ok, Umbrella Chronicles was genuinely alright for what it was), but for the most part the main series has at least had a certain level of quality. My experience with Silent Hill is somewhat limited, but I get the general impression that 2 and 3 are the ones that people like and the rest are kinda bad.

#41 Edited by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

No, RE has definitely turned to shit. Excluding the spin-off titles, RE5 was a disgrace to the series.

@ArbitraryWater said:

Resident Evil Spinoffs have always been bad (ok, Umbrella Chronicles was genuinely alright for what it was), but for the most part the main series has at least had a certain level of quality. My experience with Silent Hill is somewhat limited, but I get the general impression that 2 and 3 are the ones that people like and the rest are kinda bad.

Dead Aim was actually pretty fun. Oddly enough it controlled really well with the Mad Catz blaster. The game was far from a masterpiece, but it really wasn't so bad. Even the Outbreak games were fun, when you played them online that is. Outbreak File #2 was completely unplayable offline. I'm even starting to feel the same way about ORC. I had a great time just last night playing the Echo Expansion maps on higher difficulty levels with some random group.

#42 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1458 posts) -

Definitely Silent Hill. If the next development team wants to get back on the right path, they should look at Amnesia: The Dark Decent.

#43 Edited by EXTomar (4837 posts) -

I asked in the other thread but I have wondered if Resident Evil ever made sense. Sure the heroes were responding to a zombie outbreak but why did it happen in the first place? There never seems to be a good answer beyond "Umbrella thought it was a good idea at the time".

#44 Posted by NoelVeiga (1102 posts) -

I am really baffled by the implications of this thread, though. Why on earth would you make it a competitive affair whether a property has been mishandled or not? Why the hell would you even care enough to talk about it in this way if you think both have derailed so much that they warrant the question in the first place? Why are other people going along with this and not asking any of these questions?

Man, the gaming community is weird sometimes.

#45 Posted by Irvandus (2881 posts) -

Silent Hill

#46 Posted by DeF (4921 posts) -

Silent Hill. The games are extremely hit or miss and aren't even at least fun to play, sadly.

RE has lost A LOT of what made it good but if you ignore that you can still mindlessly enjoy a somewhat well made game.

#47 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

@NoelVeiga said:

Why are other people going along with this and not asking any of these questions?

Man, the gaming community is weird sometimes.

Likely due to irrelevance. Oh, and this is a board where we generally discuss games and stuff. Just sayin'.

#48 Posted by jgoth08 (4 posts) -

@Svenzon: It hasn't been getting worse. 3 was amazing. My favorite Silent Hill game. Homecoming was good. Downpour is loved by most Silent Hill fans. The Room, however, sucked total dick.

Silent Hill, unlike Resident Evil, is still staying true to what it was. So Resident Evil by far is the downhill one. 4 was a good side project. Great game. But it's not Resident Evil. So where is Resident Evil? Exactly. Silent Hill ftw. Resident Evil is nothing more than a mainstream wannabe

#49 Posted by TobbRobb (4732 posts) -

@QuistisTrepe: Care to elaborate on why RE5 was so bad? I won't acknowledge any argument that is just "ITS NOT RESIDENT EVIL ANYMORE" because that is true, I just don't give a shit.

Do you genuinely think RE5 is a bad game in its core mechanics? Why?

#50 Posted by Getz (3094 posts) -

Resident Evil is still a decent game, even if it's totally unrecognizable as RE at this point. Silent Hill is neither fun or scary at this point so there's just nothing left.