#1 Posted by zudthespud (3277 posts) -

I'm thinking about buying one of these two, I know that FEAR is regarded as the better shooter, but I'd like to know which is a better horror game. Do either of them do anything more than jump-scares? If not which one has the most? 

Thanks.

#2 Posted by L33tfella_H (901 posts) -

F.E.A.R 2 is...well, it gave me more of a scare than Resi 5, that's for sure.

Both are quite alright, but yea, FEAR 2 is 'scarier' (although not by that much) than Resi 5 (which isn't scary at all in my opinion).

#3 Posted by RandomInternetUser (6788 posts) -

FEAR 2 is definitely superior in the scare and dark, evil atmosphere department.  It's mostly jump scares, but there's still some atmospheric stuff.

#4 Posted by kmdrkul (3476 posts) -

FEAR is the scarier game... but overall it's pretty bland.  RE5 was just a better game overall.

#5 Posted by uniform (1830 posts) -

F.E.A.R. 2. Resident Evil 5 was an irritating game. Either way, if looking for scares/creepy atmosphere, you can do a lot better than these two.

#6 Posted by Liminality (444 posts) -

RE5 is just an action game.

Get F.E.A.R. 2

#7 Edited by IrradiatedTurnip (185 posts) -

RE5 is fun as co-op, but F.E.A.R. 2 is a scarier game. There's nothing ever really scary about RE5.
#8 Posted by spankingaddict (2646 posts) -

F.E.A.R. is probably more of a horror game, but re5 is definitely the better game...i would get re5

#9 Posted by Whisperkill (2969 posts) -

F.E.A.R. 2 is scarier and better. 

I love that game. In my opinion its one of the most overlooked games of the generation.

#10 Posted by Yummylee (20571 posts) -

I haven't even played FEAR 2, but it'll still get my vote for a better horror game.
#11 Edited by Jeust (10339 posts) -

Every horror game is scarier than RE5. 

#12 Posted by Lowbrow (840 posts) -

I haven't even played FEAR 2 and I could already tell you that its probably freakier than RE5.

I still think RE5 is an awesome game, but once you get past the initial few levels and boost a few weapons' stats it becomes Resident Evil: Shooting Gallery.

#13 Posted by fuzzyponken (694 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" F.E.A.R. 2 is scarier and better.  I love that game. In my opinion its one of the most overlooked games of the generation. "
Agreed. 
#14 Edited by Evilsbane (4335 posts) -

RE5 is not in any way scary.

I had fun with Fear 2, but its a shadow of the first game in terms of atmosphere. Some may disagree but the drastic change in art style really bummed me out, I liked the almost sterile feel of the first one, the first fear is still a good looking game even by todays standard, the art style in 2 works sometimes (Dream sequences, such as the opening which looks Amazing) but when your in the normal world it looks good but, strangely cartoonish, but its still worth a play if you like FPS, oh yea and the Mech parts felt tacked on and pointless.

#15 Edited by masterpaperlink (1823 posts) -

viva pinata is scarier than resi 5

#16 Posted by ErrorOperator (458 posts) -
@Whisperkill said:
" F.E.A.R. 2 is scarier and better.  I love that game. In my opinion its one of the most overlooked games of the generation. "
This.
#17 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3069 posts) -

I think that after about two hours into F.E.A.R. 2 (and moreso in F.E.A.R., for that matter), you'll start to wish that Monolith just cut out all the horror BS and made it a standard shooter. As shooters, I love the FEAR series. The AI in FEAR was great at the time. But the horror stuff is completely unnecessary. 

But, yes, FEAR 2 has more horror elements than Resident Evil 5.
#18 Posted by animateria (3252 posts) -

RE5 isn't a horror.

It's a action game with tense moments. 

All good fun but not scary.

#19 Posted by Shadz (198 posts) -

I like Resident Evil 5 overall way more, but I wouldn't consider it a horror game at all. Get FEAR 2 for sure if you're going for just horror.

#20 Posted by pause422 (6153 posts) -

Fear 2 is, RE5 isn't a horror game at all. But the original Fear still did it better than Fear 2. Fear 2 is more about action still.

#21 Posted by luchadeer797 (294 posts) -

FEAR 2 is the scarier game but RE 5 is the overall better game.

#22 Posted by agentboolen (1729 posts) -

Ask yourself do you like 1st person shooters or 3rd person shooters.  Unless you like both it should be a easy decision once you ask yourself this question.

#23 Posted by CornontheCobbe (2645 posts) -

F.E.A.R. 2

Resident Evil 5 had no scary parts whatsoever for me.

#24 Posted by amir90 (2134 posts) -

Of those 2?

Fear 2, RE 5 isn't scary, just freaky

#25 Posted by fowlowl26 (158 posts) -

neither games are that scary, but I think RE5 is a better game.
#26 Posted by zudthespud (3277 posts) -

Thanks for the opinions.

#27 Posted by Creamypies (4012 posts) -

RE5 isn't a horror game... so this is a no contest.

#28 Posted by K0rN (683 posts) -

Well if we are talking about horror then it's FEAR 2 because RE5 couldn't scare for shit. But FEAR 2 is derivative and sucks ass.
#29 Posted by neoepoch (1290 posts) -

Dead Space is the better horror game.

#30 Posted by Slab64 (1036 posts) -
@Jeust said:
" Every horror game is scarier than RE5.  "
This.
#31 Posted by rjayb89 (7713 posts) -

I don't even like both of those games, but since you're asking about which is more scarier, well then that would definitely be FEAR 2, my brother.  Resident Evil hasn't been scary since 4.

#32 Posted by Meowshi (2911 posts) -
@agentboolen said:
" Ask yourself do you like 1st person shooters or 3rd person shooters.  Unless you like both it should be a easy decision once you ask yourself this question. "
Only decent post in this thread.
#33 Posted by agentboolen (1729 posts) -
@Meowshi: Why thank you for the compliment   =)