Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 9

Edited By lordofultima

"Read All About It?"

The Publication Holocaust

The chosen few (cropped)
The chosen few (cropped)
Video game mags are becoming a thing of the past, and with each day that goes by - I die a little bit more inside. Since I was looking through my collection of magazines earlier this evening, thinking about what ones I'm going to frame on the wall and whatnot, I figured I'd take the time to write something thoughtful about my old loves here.

You see, there was a time before all of this. Life was just fine without that internet thing. For us up-and-coming gents of the mid 80's, we got our kicks in the form of video games. Be it playing them, talking and reading about them, whatever. I lived for video games, and not much else. Heck, I didn't even start listening to music until 9th grade. NINTH GRADE. Jesus, what was wrong with me? Anywho.

Magazines were the source of all my knowledge, I kept tabs on pretty much all the publications, and tried to stay a couple steps ahead of my fellow peers at all times, I was like an insider of the industry (or so I thought) in fifth grade. People turned to me for all sorts of information, regarding cheats, boss fights, 32-bit processing power, whatever! I KNEW IT ALL. Jaguar, I played it. Yeah, Aliens vs. Predator was awesome, changed my life. I told many a story in elementary school. Not all of them were true, but what did they care? To be a successful rumor-monger you have to throw out a couple sour apples once in a while, to clear the channel. Everyone totally believed that there was a Super Saiyan 6 with blue hair. Suckers. But back on topic here.

When I'd go to the Great Skate and approach the Mortal Kombat II machine, I could feel the stares. Little did they know they were about to get stomped by an eight year-old. I memorized all the fatalities, I read the cheat sections every month, after all. "I can totally beat Noob Saibot," I'd tell them (despite the fact that I never could). My point of all this rhetoric? Video game magazines were the bomb, and in a time before the entire world was connected, everyone believed you could fight a dude named "Sheng Long," or unlock Simon Belmont in Contra. Times were definitely simpler then.

When you think about how GamePro can come up with a numerical value for "Fun Factor," it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. But I somehow understood it in 1996. Go figure. Man, Bubonic the Blowfrog, what's a blowfrog anyway? Sushi-X, I had thought I cracked the code. It was Duke Nukem all along, wasn't it? EGM told me Doom 3 was coming out for the SNES, what a bunch of crap. Tips & Tricks was somehow culturally relevant, since it was actually useful then! It was like an encyclopedia of awesome! "EGM2" was always useless in my eyes, though they did convince me that Spider for the Playstation was good. Boy were they ever wrong! Back then, an eye patch showed how raw and "independent" of a magazine that you were, and Bill Donohue always looked like an old man to me. I was even convinced that the 3DO was the second coming of Jesus, I still have that issue, and it still smells like cat piss (barrel aged at this point). Game Informer used to be respectable, and also very thin. So many great memories, yet almost all of them come with an unhappy ending attached.

Egm dos
Egm dos
With age, the publications only got better. Computer Gaming World and later Games For Windows might be the best example, and stands as the watermark in thoughtful games journalism. The editors of that magazine garner the highest amount of respect, for putting together editorial that isn't 10 pages long, and still being accurate in describing things with subjectivity. Online writing is fine, but I think people really took for granted all that a print publication could offer, like PAGE LIMITS. How many 4+ page reviews do we need, all the while going "..and the graphics are...and the sound is...and the..." I think I'm going to induce vomiting. It's not all on their shoulders however. Another now-debunked magazine NextGen, really brought inside-the-industry stuff to print, and was one of the more entertaining runs out of all these magazines. It was essentially the Kotaku, before...well. Kotaku.

EGM is just the bookend of this era, which for all intensive purposes, is at an end. GI can continue to sell based on pre-orders from GameStop, Future (inc) publications can continue to sell because of their official corporate tie-ins (with no disrespect to Nintendo Power, which has the genius Chris Slate of PSM at the mast of the ship), but c'mon. The convenience of the internet (and FREE-ness) can't be undermined by an age-old tradition. I guess it's time to hang up my hat and coat, and call it a night. If you like you can join me in a collective sigh, as I mutter this old-horse phrase, "those were the days."

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By lordofultima

"Read All About It?"

The Publication Holocaust

The chosen few (cropped)
The chosen few (cropped)
Video game mags are becoming a thing of the past, and with each day that goes by - I die a little bit more inside. Since I was looking through my collection of magazines earlier this evening, thinking about what ones I'm going to frame on the wall and whatnot, I figured I'd take the time to write something thoughtful about my old loves here.

You see, there was a time before all of this. Life was just fine without that internet thing. For us up-and-coming gents of the mid 80's, we got our kicks in the form of video games. Be it playing them, talking and reading about them, whatever. I lived for video games, and not much else. Heck, I didn't even start listening to music until 9th grade. NINTH GRADE. Jesus, what was wrong with me? Anywho.

Magazines were the source of all my knowledge, I kept tabs on pretty much all the publications, and tried to stay a couple steps ahead of my fellow peers at all times, I was like an insider of the industry (or so I thought) in fifth grade. People turned to me for all sorts of information, regarding cheats, boss fights, 32-bit processing power, whatever! I KNEW IT ALL. Jaguar, I played it. Yeah, Aliens vs. Predator was awesome, changed my life. I told many a story in elementary school. Not all of them were true, but what did they care? To be a successful rumor-monger you have to throw out a couple sour apples once in a while, to clear the channel. Everyone totally believed that there was a Super Saiyan 6 with blue hair. Suckers. But back on topic here.

When I'd go to the Great Skate and approach the Mortal Kombat II machine, I could feel the stares. Little did they know they were about to get stomped by an eight year-old. I memorized all the fatalities, I read the cheat sections every month, after all. "I can totally beat Noob Saibot," I'd tell them (despite the fact that I never could). My point of all this rhetoric? Video game magazines were the bomb, and in a time before the entire world was connected, everyone believed you could fight a dude named "Sheng Long," or unlock Simon Belmont in Contra. Times were definitely simpler then.

When you think about how GamePro can come up with a numerical value for "Fun Factor," it doesn't really make a whole lot of sense. But I somehow understood it in 1996. Go figure. Man, Bubonic the Blowfrog, what's a blowfrog anyway? Sushi-X, I had thought I cracked the code. It was Duke Nukem all along, wasn't it? EGM told me Doom 3 was coming out for the SNES, what a bunch of crap. Tips & Tricks was somehow culturally relevant, since it was actually useful then! It was like an encyclopedia of awesome! "EGM2" was always useless in my eyes, though they did convince me that Spider for the Playstation was good. Boy were they ever wrong! Back then, an eye patch showed how raw and "independent" of a magazine that you were, and Bill Donohue always looked like an old man to me. I was even convinced that the 3DO was the second coming of Jesus, I still have that issue, and it still smells like cat piss (barrel aged at this point). Game Informer used to be respectable, and also very thin. So many great memories, yet almost all of them come with an unhappy ending attached.

Egm dos
Egm dos
With age, the publications only got better. Computer Gaming World and later Games For Windows might be the best example, and stands as the watermark in thoughtful games journalism. The editors of that magazine garner the highest amount of respect, for putting together editorial that isn't 10 pages long, and still being accurate in describing things with subjectivity. Online writing is fine, but I think people really took for granted all that a print publication could offer, like PAGE LIMITS. How many 4+ page reviews do we need, all the while going "..and the graphics are...and the sound is...and the..." I think I'm going to induce vomiting. It's not all on their shoulders however. Another now-debunked magazine NextGen, really brought inside-the-industry stuff to print, and was one of the more entertaining runs out of all these magazines. It was essentially the Kotaku, before...well. Kotaku.

EGM is just the bookend of this era, which for all intensive purposes, is at an end. GI can continue to sell based on pre-orders from GameStop, Future (inc) publications can continue to sell because of their official corporate tie-ins (with no disrespect to Nintendo Power, which has the genius Chris Slate of PSM at the mast of the ship), but c'mon. The convenience of the internet (and FREE-ness) can't be undermined by an age-old tradition. I guess it's time to hang up my hat and coat, and call it a night. If you like you can join me in a collective sigh, as I mutter this old-horse phrase, "those were the days."

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By lordofultima

Some reason I can't edit my post now without it all blacking out. Odd..

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By weltal

Quit your belly achein' old man.
There's nothing wrong with going to the internet for all the info you would have gained from a magazine, long as I can remember that's been my way, from my earliest ventures into the online realm. Sure magazines are a nice addition but in the end with the constant flow of information at your fingertips, print can't compete and I'll say, "Bah" and "Good riddence."

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By lordofultima

But not just for information, for writing. Actual good writing! Online journalism is generally anything but. There are of course exceptions to the case, but generally speaking. There will be a time when you're reminiscing and someone else is telling you the exact same thing. But I accept my defeat.

StaticFalconar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By StaticFalconar

A magazine with real pages and paper; so archaic....... lols.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By weltal
lordofultima said:
"But not just for information, for writing. Actual good writing! Online journalism is generally anything but. There are of course exceptions to the case, but generally speaking. There will be a time when you're reminiscing and someone else is telling you the exact same thing. But I accept my defeat."
Well, writing and it's quality are pretty much a matter of subjectivity. Perhaps more so colored by your own predisposition towards print and really I don't find the quality of information or the quality of writing to be degraded by the fact that it's housed online. Yeah, the caliber of writing will always vary but any website that claims credibility is going to be putting forth more than enough effort to qualify itself worthy of print. Also, perhaps there will be a time when I'm lamenting the downfall of the internet, though I gather that will be a direct result of the destruction of society. At that point I'll probably be more concerned with scavenging for food, though.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By lordofultima

Well, I wasn't speaking of the internet so much as your unhealthy addiction to peanut butter, which will pretty much disappear from the planet in 2012, which is pretty much the apocalypse anyhow. So you win.

weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By weltal
lordofultima said:
 you win."
Ah, good. I think I'll take that shoe as my prize. If you could stuff it with peanut butter, that would be great. Apparently I've gota stock up.
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Nice read.
I wouldn't be able to relate because I've been getting all my news from the internet since day 1 of my super mega addiction to video games. In my old school however, since there weren't many "hardcore" gamers, I was the source of all info, and man does it feel good. :D

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lordofultima
Now with 100% more peanut butter!
weltal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By weltal
lordofultima said:
"
"
Haha.
I'm not sure whether that looks comfortable or delicious. Or deliciously comfortable.
lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By lordofultima

That's the catch, it might look so comfortable you might not want to eat the peanut butter, but instead rest your foot in its gooey warmth...or something.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Genius!!

Oni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 12

#14  Edited By Oni

I say this with about as much respect as is possible: You, sir, are a relic. Collecting relics. Like an archaeologist, if you will.

ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By ltcoljaxson
*sigh* One of my favourite mags with the N64. Used to be something good in almost every issue. I have a lot of these from the N64 days...
I wish I had kept some of my PC gaming magazines... I have a lot of N64 ones for some reason. Never got rid of them. I have a fair amount of playstation magazines too...
ltcoljaxson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ltcoljaxson

Other stuff I found. Game boxes, strategy guide... the weirdest dreamcast game...

Socom II!
Socom II!
How wrong they were...
How wrong they were...
Don't even remember playing this game...
Don't even remember playing this game...
Awesome...
Awesome...
Respawning enemies and portals used to be fun...
Respawning enemies and portals used to be fun...
First game to use that lame expansion pack...
First game to use that lame expansion pack...
Good memories of multiplayer
Good memories of multiplayer
Hmm... 74.99
Hmm... 74.99
zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By zitosilva

I don't entirely agree with you in that the quality of the writting online is worse than that of magazines (in the realm of videogames). To be honest, most of the time, be it on paper or screen, they are not really that good. There are, like you said, exceptions, but exceptions do no make the rule.
And I don't believe that magazines will disappear all of the sudden. People love predicting the downfall or end of things. Magazines are still the things that you can read by your nightstand in your bed, or in uyour bathroom. Sure, you could have a laptop with wireless connections, but it's not the same thing.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By brukaoru

I agree that the quality of writing in game magazines tend to be better than online, but I think this is simply do to having a bunch of editors whereas many online news sites usually don't have editors. Even so, overall, game journalism really does need major work. So many things are wrong with game journalism, as this article points out.

zitosilva said:

"And I don't believe that magazines will disappear all of the sudden. People love predicting the downfall or end of things. Magazines are still the things that you can read by your nightstand in your bed, or in uyour bathroom. Sure, you could have a laptop with wireless connections, but it's not the same thing."
I think game magazines are definitely declining. Other mediums don't really have the surge of information on a daily basis that gaming has, and by the time you get a game magazine, the information has already been released. Only certain interviews and exclusive deals keep game magazines alive, but I think they are going away.  
zitosilva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#19  Edited By zitosilva
brukaoru said:
"I agree that the quality of writing in game magazines tend to be better than online, but I think this is simply do to having a bunch of editors whereas many online news sites usually don't have editors. Even so, overall, game journalism really does need major work. So many things are wrong with game journalism, as this article points out.

zitosilva said:
"And I don't believe that magazines will disappear all of the sudden. People love predicting the downfall or end of things. Magazines are still the things that you can read by your nightstand in your bed, or in uyour bathroom. Sure, you could have a laptop with wireless connections, but it's not the same thing."
I think game magazines are definitely declining. Other mediums don't really have the surge of information on a daily basis that gaming has, and by the time you get a game magazine, the information has already been released. Only certain interviews and exclusive deals keep game magazines alive, but I think they are going away.  
"
Hum... I guess you're right. Okay, I stand by what I said about magazines in general, but I guess it's differente with videogame ones.

Maybe if they tried to get another demographic, like these new Wii owners that don't really go into Kaotaku 3 times a day just get some news they'd be able to survive. Since they target only the "hardcore" gamers, we basicaly already have the info they can offer us.

Okay, thinking back I totally disagree with what I said before. Bru, you're right.
Usagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By Usagi

I don't see print gaming mags going away permanently because of the Internet.  Sure, a lot of the lesser ones were affected by the surge in popularity of the Internet, but the recent decline is more likely because of the craptastic economy.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lordofultima

@Usagi I wouldn't say EGM is the lesser one, but THE one. But you're right, it's because of that money money money.

@LtColJaxson Yeah I wasn't a big Nintendo follower through middle school and all that, so I wasn't into Nintendo Power then. I mean I have an N64 but I just was anti-Power I guess. I realize now my folly, and I'm glad that Nintendo Power still has life thanks to Future, and Chris Slate of course.

I also have a bunch of strategy guides, if anyone's interested in looking at a Mortal Kombat 1 guide, haha.

gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#22  Edited By gearhead

I enjoyed reading this, very much.

Gameboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Gameboi

As long as Game Informer sticks around, I guess I'll be okay. What can I say? I'm a sucker for large glossy pictures of games.  By the way.... great blog.

Usagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 10

#24  Edited By Usagi

@lordofultima: I didn't mean EGM was a lesser one.  What I meant was that the lesser gaming mags went out of business as the proliferation of the Internet rose.  Hell, EGM didn't go out of business because of the Internet or of the crashing economy, but rather that the purchasing company didn't want a magazine and so they dumped it.

JoelTGM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#25  Edited By JoelTGM

Yeah well in earlier days I would read gaming magazines to find out about new games, now I just go on the internet and know what games are coming soon, or even in the next year or two.

lordofultima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By lordofultima

Added my guides to the gallery, check em, son.

@Usagi: sure, although I don't think EGM died just because of UGO. Ziff was talking of selling it off or dumping it regardless, since they didn't have any money or interest in print anymore.