#1 Edited by Riven126 (13 posts) -

I know, it's weird. Especially in a time when all the E3 buzz is going on and the next-gen systems are almost here. But I just don't have the desire to play many games these days. I still enjoy fighting games and arcade racing games, but the RPG's and shooters just aren't doing it for me lately. I now play games maybe.... an hour or two a week, max. It kinda sucks because I used to really be into games and now I'm sorta not and I don't really know why.

Any suggestions?

#2 Edited by ArbitraryWater (11613 posts) -

Take a break for a while, or go back to past favorites. There's nothing wrong with not feeling like playing video games... unless it's a symptom of horrible crushing depression at which point you should probably see someone.

#3 Edited by tread311 (356 posts) -

Step away until the new systems launch, or even longer. You surround yourself with anything too much it is probably going to get old.

#4 Posted by Vinny_Says (5700 posts) -

I've got a copy of Resident Evil Revelations, Prototype 2 and Grid 2 but all I want to play is Splinter Cell. That Chinese embassy mission is that shit!

Go back to some old favorites or just take a break all together.

#5 Posted by TangoUp (307 posts) -

I have literally been trawling through review sites for games and I just cannot find something that interests me. I don't even have that big of a library but the lists on websites are just full of mundane shooters, TPSes, fighting games and boring RPGs.

There are extremely few games that do something different and do it well. Most that try to do something different suffer in quality. I don't understand why.

#6 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

Since when was GB all about dudes being bored and jaded with games?

Games are awesome. Sure i have my disinterested phases, but i snap out of them fairly quickly. I'm not gonna tell you what to do. If you dont wana play video games then don't. If you do, then awesome. Don't force it, thats stupid.

But seriously, the whole "i dont like video games thing" is become way too common for a video game website. Kinda a bummer. Stop being a bummer.

#7 Posted by JasonR86 (9657 posts) -

Didn't we just have this thread?

#8 Posted by laserguy (443 posts) -

VIDEO GAMES ARE FUCKING AWESOME. LAST OF US.....I'MM OUT NEIGHBOR

#9 Posted by triple07 (1196 posts) -

My suggestion is either t take a break for awhile like I do periodically or try games you've never tried before. I'm talking about strange and interesting games or just a genre of games you've never tried before. That's what I've been doing with hardcore strategy games and some of the more artsy indie games lately.

#10 Posted by nnotdead (87 posts) -

it happens from time to time. i go through points where i can't get enough video games, but then i will later go through a slump where i would rather do anything else but play games. happens with a lot of other interest i have as well: comic books, tv shows, MMA, etc. i think the best thing to do is give gaming a break and dive into another interest, or find another one if you don't have others. also, it could be a good time to try different types of games that you normal wouldn't play. you might find something that could light that spark again. if you don't it still will fine because you're not into that type of game anyways, and you won't feel as bad for not being into your favorite hobby.

#11 Posted by RPGee (759 posts) -

You know what game is pretty good? Uplink. Recettear. FTL. Dota.

Try some games that are older, or do unusual things, or do something you'd never considered before. The world is your oyster!

#12 Edited by JouselDelka (967 posts) -

@riven126 said:

Any suggestions?

One week ago I had over 15 games (both new and backlog) installed on my PC, and I wasn't in the mood or spirit to play even one. I felt like there are too many, kept jumping around between them, and quitting.

Now I have 3 installed, and I'm playing only one of them heavily. This is the way gaming should be - focus on one or two games at a time so you can be immersed and be using the same control scheme so you can master it.

So in case you're looking at a big game library and you feel indecisive, just pick one you haven't played and pretend it's the only game you have. Then you'll find yourself playing it like reading a new book!

#13 Posted by HurricaneIvan29 (582 posts) -

Could be that as you get older you stop finding more people to play with. I find that's why I was always more interested in games back when I was a kid, I always had someone to play with and enjoy them, even if it was a single player, we'd go through it together. Now it's all about either competition or singe-players that are mundane.

My suggestion, find a game that isn't so much about challenges and achievements, but rather about connecting to the players through story, narrative, or theme. Or something that you can play with friends. I suggest Alan Wake to really get you into the mood. It'll capture you.

The second thing is, revisit the games you love! I've replayed many of my childhood favorites because it takes me back to those times. Even games that are actually bad but we enjoyed in our childhood because we didn't know any better can still evoke joy out of playing them because your thoughts are taken back to those times. Try it and see what happens. And if you're too busy just don't play until something captures you. Don't make a chore of trying to play games, that's the last thing you want to do. It's suppose to be a hobby, and if you have other hobby's that you find yourself enjoying more, hit those up. Do what makes you happy man, you can't force happy.

#14 Edited by TobbRobb (4596 posts) -

This is why you do other shit inbetween games. Like watching unnatural amounts of tv-shows or read books. Also try and narrow down what your "niche" is. The moment I realised the only games I like anymore are insane hack´n´slash games and MOBAs, I suddenly started having fun with games 100% of the time, but played less games.

But yeah, do something else for a while dude. You'll want to go back at some point.

#15 Posted by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@riven126 said:

I know, it's weird. Especially in a time when all the E3 buzz is going on and the next-gen systems are almost here. But I just don't have the desire to play many games these days. I still enjoy fighting games and arcade racing games, but the RPG's and shooters just aren't doing it for me lately. I now play games maybe.... an hour or two a week, max. It kinda sucks because I used to really be into games and now I'm sorta not and I don't really know why.

Any suggestions?

There's a reason why, the gaming industry isn't making the games we like, it's oversaturated with MMO, shooter, RPG stuff. I only really like futuristic racers (wipeout, rush, extreme g) fighters (some street fighters, mortal kombat) and creative leaning games (minecraft, littlebigplanet, sound shapes), and this past E3 showed me there's not much out there. It's pretty frustrating.

#16 Edited by thugg1280 (88 posts) -

I think a lot of us are in the same place well I know I am just cant find any thing to play that seems fun maybe i'm turning into Detective Sgt. Roger Murtaugh and getting too old for this shit.

#17 Edited by Seppli (10251 posts) -

You're Getting Old

Seriously though, it's natural. Games are just as good as ever, you are just not in the right mindset for them. Spend some time in the great outsides. Chase some skirts. Do some sports. Read a book. Go to a concert. Sulk and feel blue and do nothing. Make some money. Whatever floats your boat. And if nothing floats it anymore - don't worry, it will some other day.

#18 Posted by thugg1280 (88 posts) -

I just don't see the great games that are out same old crap over and over.

#19 Edited by KingOfAsh (51 posts) -

I seem to be playing fewer games too (reading more books & comics, watching more TV shows), but there is the occasional game that'll grab my attention and really engage me (currently it's The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind).

#20 Posted by BalrogsBain (81 posts) -

when i got burned out on games i decided to look at genres and games i wouldn't think about trying like civ 5 even the modded minecraft feed the beast was different,

my suggestion is try something new

#21 Posted by bemusedchunk (684 posts) -

Go back to older, smaller favorites and play them in smaller chunks.

I've been playing the crap out of Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe and Peggle recently.

Or...you know...just don't play games for awhile...

#22 Posted by Humanity (9048 posts) -

@riven126: Stop playing games for a while. That sucks when gaming is your primary hobby, but I've gone through that and it comes and goes in waves. There will be some game that will completely suck you back in eventually.

Dragons Dogma was the first game in a while where I was all hyped up "oh man lets keep going!"

#23 Posted by Fearbeard (826 posts) -

Take a break. Nothing wrong with that.

#24 Edited by Fearbeard (826 posts) -

@tangoup said:

I have literally been trawling through review sites for games and I just cannot find something that interests me. I don't even have that big of a library but the lists on websites are just full of mundane shooters, TPSes, fighting games and boring RPGs.

There are extremely few games that do something different and do it well. Most that try to do something different suffer in quality. I don't understand why.

Well most games that try to do something different don't have a big budget to back them up. So unless the overall game is fairly small in scope it's hard for them to polish the thing up to the standards of big budget games.

#25 Edited by shinjin977 (755 posts) -

Whats this about boring rpgs flooding the market? Here I am just waiting for the next rpg to drop. If anything the market need more rpgs.