#1 Posted by D_Bones (365 posts) -

Just wanted to know good shooters that are a little more than gameplay and multiplayer. I have a ps3 and just finished Bulletstorm and really liked the characters and style the world has. Shooters are normally my cool down games between larger time investments like RPGs. Two other examples I have would be the Resistance series which I enjoyed for its world and I actually like Hale as a character despite being somewhat bland. And also Rage for the world even though similar to fallout etc and for John goodman of course. Other shooters on my radar already include syndicate and vanquish. Any other thoughts duders?

#2 Posted by Animasta (14632 posts) -

Binary Domain!

#3 Edited by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -
#4 Posted by AltonBrown (948 posts) -

@Animasta said:

Binary Domain!

Beat me to it.

Alternatively, may I suggest either 50 Cent or Shadows of the Damned.

#5 Posted by SSValis (1136 posts) -

Bioshock

#6 Posted by Soulblitz (349 posts) -

Deus Ex: HR is great. Only played the start of Syndicate but it has promise.

#7 Posted by Tim_the_Corsair (3065 posts) -

Heartily recommend Syndicate, as a single-player experience it has very few flaws. Glad I went to the trouble of importing it.

#8 Posted by D_Bones (365 posts) -

I totally forgot to mention Binary Domain it's on my radar because the mind behind yakuza made it which must mean awesomeness. Deus ex I do want to play but in my mind is lumped in with RPGs with shooting a la mass effect. Also for some reason I did not like bioshock I know right?

#9 Posted by Spoonman671 (4523 posts) -
#10 Edited by razkazz (169 posts) -

^This guy is soo right. Wolfenstein and Bound In Blood are overlooked way too often imo. Both great experiences.

#11 Posted by Liquidus (946 posts) -

@SlightConfuse said:

Vanquish more people need to play it

I agree. Vanquish is one of the best games to come out in years but it's strong point isn't really the story, characters or world.

But back on topic, I'd recommend BioShock, Shadows of the Damned or Dead Space 1 or 2. Lot of people say Dead Space is a survival horror game, it's not, it's a straight up third person shooter with a slower pace and good atmosphere.

#12 Edited by ADAMWD (561 posts) -
#13 Posted by fox01313 (5061 posts) -

Good picks here so far, here's a few others apart from 50 Cent Blood on the Sand, Bioshock, Darkness & Fear2 already mentioned: Borderlands, Halo 3 ODST (if you have access to a 360), Call of Duty Black Ops, Left4Dead 2, Far Cry2 & Portal2.

#14 Posted by D_Bones (365 posts) -

Interested in hearing more detail about a couple of games mentioned namely Wolfenstein, Riddick, Binary Domain, Blops, Warhammer and the Darkness games. What was it that made you guys pick them? Awesome campaigns great protagonists? Very curious

#15 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5137 posts) -

Metro 2033 has a pretty great world.

#16 Posted by dopplerganger (80 posts) -

@D_Bones said:

Interested in hearing more detail about a couple of games mentioned namely Wolfenstein, Riddick, Binary Domain, Blops, Warhammer and the Darkness games. What was it that made you guys pick them? Awesome campaigns great protagonists? Very curious

Riddick is cool since a good amount of the combat is melee.

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (11630 posts) -
#18 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

HALF LIFE MOTHER FUCKING TWO.

That anniversary Halo thing, if you haven't played the original Halo.

#19 Posted by razkazz (169 posts) -

Wolfenstein has an open-world central hub between missions and lots of gold to discover which allows you to have as much or as little downtime as you want. Its shooting is also some of the most satisfying ever which makes for the greatest nazi killin' experience I've had. Character/story wise it's kind of limited but it has cool mystical weapons and enemies which make its atmosphere more like the first Hellboy movie than a standard WWII shooter.

Riddick and The Darkness are some of the greatest character driven FPS' I've played. They put a major emphasis on embodying a fully fleshed out protagonist and using their unique abilities in their unique world. Both games' shooting is lacking but it's not a huge issue as Riddick relies heavily on stealth kills and melee attacks and The Darkness relies on badass tentacle abilities. I should note that The Darkness II maintains the great storytelling of the first game and provides great gunplay as well, but the original should be experienced first.

I also have to mention that I love the characters of Clive Barker's Jericho, but not many people seem to like it.

#20 Posted by Stonyman65 (2566 posts) -

Deus Ex Human Revolution

Wolfenstien

Metro 2033

any STALKER game

Singularity

#21 Posted by upwarDBound (654 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 for all of the above.

#22 Posted by D_Bones (365 posts) -

Is Wolfensteins multiplayer still active or is it completely dead? Just wanted to know because i am a completionist and like to play the whole game if possible.

#23 Posted by Soapy86 (2619 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption?