Recommend Famicom games to import

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By billyhoush

Today I received an early Christmas present in the mail. To my surprise I got a Famicom system with a Japanese cart of Konami's Top Gun. I am now fiending more Famicom games and would like to know if anyone recommends some cool titles we never got in the US.

So far I want to get the first 3 Final Fantasy games and SplatterHouse: Wanpaku Graffiti.

No Caption Provided
SpaceRunaway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By SpaceRunaway

Challenger, Atlantis no Nazo, and Transformers: Convoy no Nazo. At least, that's what I'd look for.

Edit: I'd also like to point out that my tastes may be somewhat...suspect.

Edit 2: Pick up a Disk System for sure though.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#3  Edited By ArbitraryWater

What kind of people are sending you Famicoms for Christmas? I would like to meet them.

Ehhhh... Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem Gaiden. Those are Famicom games, though somehow I doubt they hold up super well, especially without the benefit of being in english.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#4  Edited By Video_Game_King

@ArbitraryWater said:

Ehhhh... Fire Emblem and Fire Emblem Gaiden. Those are Famicom games, though somehow I doubt they hold up super well, especially without the benefit of being in english.

Plus that first one doesn't have a save feature. That's kind of a major dick move. But before I go back to playing Tear Ring Saga, I'll just namedrop Cocoron. Imagine a Make Your Own Mega Man, and then add some more weird.

jewunit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By jewunit

I do not own a Famicom, but I have been watching a guy chronicle all of the Famicom games at Chrontendo. If you have a bit of time, I would recommend checking out some of the videos.

From what I've seen, here are some suggestions:

King Kong 2: Ikari Megaton Punch - a top-to-bottom scrolling game from Konami that features King Kong punching the bejeezus out of everything

Otocky- a side-scrolling shooter that creates music as you play in a manner similar to Rez

Higemaru Makaishima: Nanatsu no Shima no Daibouken - it's a Legend of Zelda-like game from Capcom with pirates and island exploration

Devil World - an odd maze game from Nintendo where you have to collect a cross and avoid demons

Meikyuu Jiin Dababa - a Startropics-like game with a mystical, Far East vibe

Almana no Kiseki - a platformer where you play an Indiana Jones-like character with a grappling hook a la Roc n' Rope

Bio Sensi Dan: Increaser Tono Tatakai - a platformer with shooting and power-up elements, an early Atlus game

Konami Wai Wai World - a weird collaborative platformer with Konami Man, Goemon, Simon Belmont, and King Kong

Super Pinball - a cool-looking pinball game

billyhoush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By billyhoush

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Devil World sounds cool since it's a Nintendo game I never played. I'll keep my eye open for a disk drive.

I am also going to see if I can find a copy of Goonies. Any other suggestions for carts?

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#7  Edited By Icemael

Getsu Fuuma Den.

Punk1984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By Punk1984

I have a Nex that plays all carts US/Pal and Famicom; my suggestions are the Goemon games (Legend of Mystical Ninja in the west) They are quick fun and (except for the RPG one) only require a little knowledge of Japanese. Also a lot of the latter-day Nes carts that are hard to find the US versions of are easy to get in the Fami version.

I actually went Fami-crazy when I first got mine because I loved the fact that the actual carts were different colors.

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#9  Edited By Pepsiman

My suggestions are probably going to be a bit costly since they're not the most common Famicom carts to find, but if you can track them down without sacrificing an arm and/or a leg, I'd recommend the following:

• Hebereke. A simplistic, but charming Metroid clone that I actually enjoy better than Nintendo's game. No Japanese skills are required whatsoever to completely the game; everything is about as straightforward as it can get for a game of its genre and the only thing you're missing out by skimping on the text is some slightly funky dialog.
  • Akumajo Special: Boku Dracula-kun: The Famicom is already filled to the brim to the brim with good platformers, but this is one that's gone off the radar of pretty much everyone who isn't a hardcore Castlevania fan. It doesn't do anything profoundly new or innovative for its time, but its well-crafted and the visual style is still appealing.

As Punk1984 points out, if you don't care about not having your classic games in English, the Famicom versions of major games are usually more plentiful and cheaper in Japan than in the States.