• 65 results
#51 Posted by PoisonJam7 (356 posts) -

@ll_exile_ll: The last one i played was Tales of Symphonia, so I guess that would make it 9 years. I didn't play Persona 3 or 4, but watched the Endurance Run of P4, thus making me not really interested in playing P3.

#52 Edited by EquitasInvictus (2036 posts) -

As many others have mentioned, I'd also strongly recommend Lost Odyssey. There's so many things that game gets right that I'd agree it's among the best JRPGs of this generation.

Once I get to Ni no Kuni, I have a feeling I'll end up singing praises for it, too.

#53 Edited by PoisonJam7 (356 posts) -

Lost Odyssey and Nier are sounding pretty good. I'm also interested in checking out a game from the MegaTen series, but not any of the Persona games. (nothing against them, just looking to branch out a bit) Which game would you guys recommend as the best from that series?

Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions, and exposing my terrible math!

#54 Posted by Trilogy (2675 posts) -

I like how the general consensus is that an excellent story in JRPGs is as about as common as an abominable snowman.

#55 Posted by YI_Orange (1163 posts) -

@poisonjam7: for SMT, depends what you're going for. Nocturne is awesome, but it's not incredibly story heavy. There's some dialogue dumps, but if I remember right the story is relatively heavily implied. Digital Devil Saga is also awesome, and is much more traditional in the way it tells the story. DDS' story is told over 2 games, and the ending is crazy and weird.

As for Lost Odyssey and Nier, if you like feeling sad then these are great games. Nier takes a bit to get going, but I absolutely love the final few hours. You get more out of it if you do NG+(which starts you at the half way mark), but I just read the extra stuff and it's pretty great. Especially ending D. Lost Odyssey's core story is nothing amazing and the characters other than Jansen are largely forgettable. BUT, there's little stories for you to read peppered through the world that are easily the best part about the game. I never finished Lost Odyssey(I really should, I'm on disc 4), but I feel like they kind put the best stories up front.

#56 Edited by gla55jAw (2692 posts) -

@poisonjam7: for SMT, depends what you're going for. Nocturne is awesome, but it's not incredibly story heavy. There's some dialogue dumps, but if I remember right the story is relatively heavily implied. Digital Devil Saga is also awesome, and is much more traditional in the way it tells the story. DDS' story is told over 2 games, and the ending is crazy and weird.

As for Lost Odyssey and Nier, if you like feeling sad then these are great games. Nier takes a bit to get going, but I absolutely love the final few hours. You get more out of it if you do NG+(which starts you at the half way mark), but I just read the extra stuff and it's pretty great. Especially ending D. Lost Odyssey's core story is nothing amazing and the characters other than Jansen are largely forgettable. BUT, there's little stories for you to read peppered through the world that are easily the best part about the game. I never finished Lost Odyssey(I really should, I'm on disc 4), but I feel like they kind put the best stories up front.

The same thing happened to me with Lost Odyssey. I hit disc 4 and stopped playing, basically because I thought I was almost done with the game, but I remember reading that a lot of grinding would need to be done to face the next bunch of bosses.

That being said I really enjoyed my time with Lost Odyssey. The overall story is interesting, but learning about the main character's pasts were the best.

I'd also like to say that Suikoden is on PSN, and it was the first JRPG in years that I actually finished. I couldn't stop playing it. The story and characters are great. I have a copy of Suikoden 2 that I bought recently, but I want to play through the first again before I do.

#57 Edited by huntad (1955 posts) -

I don't know that I know of any jrpgs with 'excellent' stories. Even after reading these recommendations, I don't think the word 'excellent' coincides with any of these games' stories. Maybe I'm just cynical.

#58 Edited by csl316 (8964 posts) -

Valkyrie Profile 2 was pretty awesome. And Vagrant Story is old but it's friggin' Vagrant Story.

#59 Edited by SecondPersonShooter (620 posts) -

Lost Odyssey

Best JRPG story of the generation.Lots of great, fully developed characters, and at many points in the game you will just stop and read a short story, which put a dead halt on momentum, but actually turn out to be one of the most compelling parts of the game.

I've heard good things about Nier though and intend to play it at some point

@gla55jaw: @poisonjam7: You guys should finish Lost Odyssey, the ending is pretty satisfying.

#60 Posted by StrikeALight (1114 posts) -

Excellent stories in JRPGs? Good luck with that.

#61 Posted by super2j (1733 posts) -

Nier. But, it's kinda not a jrpg. Super depressing great story.

OHHHH nice pull. I was having trouble pulling a cool game but I endorse this call. That game is awesome.

#62 Edited by TomLaFleur (4 posts) -

Lost Odyssey's ending was extremely unexpected. I won't say anymore but I was pleasantly surprised. To do everything in the game including the treasure trove achievement (get every item) you'll be looking around 80-100 hours, there's so much to do on Disk 4 it took up over double my game time. If you can get past some of its low points such as Mach and Cooke (not a fan of some of the voice acting) and the cheesy/typical villain that is Gongora the rest of the game matches up to plenty of the classics, great game.

#63 Edited by ZagZagovich (769 posts) -

Charles Barkey's Shut Up and Jam Gaiden is really good. Both in the story and in the combat system. Probably the only good JRPG since Persona 4.

#64 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Pokemon, the wizard of oz of video games.

#65 Posted by Nickieroonie (141 posts) -

re: Ni No Kuni

I wouldn't necessarily call the story "excellent", but the game is really pretty and the characters, music and pretty much everything are really endearing. I really don't care for the combat.

#66 Edited by Veektarius (4921 posts) -

Thinking back, Lost Odyssey is the best JRPG story I played after FFXII. It's not without its faults, though. The villain is godawful.