#1 Edited by Intro (1207 posts) -

I got into playing games on PC recently and wondering what are some good 3rd person shooters. I currently own Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, which I love, but it's dead for the most part it seems.

Wondering if anyone has knows some games I might not know of and should give a try. Thanks.

EDIT: I really like 3rd peron cover based shooters.

#2 Posted by Seastalk (123 posts) -

@Intro said:

I currently own Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, which I love, but it's dead for the most part it seems.

This part of your post makes it seem as though you're only interested in multiplayer games... is that correct?

#3 Posted by random_guy23 (256 posts) -

Alan Wake was recently released on PC - I know that for one that is a fantastic game with a great story, and the PC port is phenomenal. Might not be a multiplayer shooter, but it's still a brilliant game none the less.

#4 Posted by Xolare (1284 posts) -

Binary Domain. Dear God that game's great.

#5 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@Intro: What do you want? Singleplayer? Story? Action? Multiplayer? 
 
Story AND action:  
  • Max Payne <<Must-play PC game>>
  • Alan Wake
Explosive action: 
  • Just Cause 2 
  • Red Faction: Guerrilla 
Multiplayer: 
  • ArmA 2
 
@Xolare said:

Binary Domain. Dear God that game's great.

Apparently it really sucks on the PC, so I wouldn't recommend it here.
#6 Posted by Xolare (1284 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Xolare said:

Binary Domain. Dear God that game's great.

Apparently it really sucks on the PC, so I wouldn't recommend it here.

Controls are iffy. That's about it.

#7 Edited by Intro (1207 posts) -

@Seastalk said:

@Intro said:

I currently own Rainbow Six: Vegas 2, which I love, but it's dead for the most part it seems.

This part of your post makes it seem as though you're only interested in multiplayer games... is that correct?

Not entirely, but I would prefer MP games.

@Xolare said:

Binary Domain. Dear God that game's great.

Gonna download the demo on Steam now, thanks.

#8 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

Super Monday Night Combat is great and free to play.

#9 Posted by ashleychittock (136 posts) -

Gears of war got a pc version, didnt it?

#10 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

Arma 2.

#11 Posted by MrKlorox (11209 posts) -

Max Payne is a good third person shooter series and used to be a place to go or combat. Alan Wake is not and the combat is the bad part of the game.

#12 Posted by AlexW00d (6275 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

Super Monday Night Combat is great and free to play.

Bingo.

@scarace360 said:

Arma 2.

No-one plays Arma in 3rd person mode, and when you aim it switches you to first person anyway.

#13 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

@ashleychittock said:

Gears of war got a pc version, didnt it?

The first one did, yes. If the 2nd and 3rd one were on PC that's all I'd play. Easily have 120+ days of time in those 3 games. Not sure if a game as old as Gears 1 is worth 20 bucks, and I highly doubt many people play the online. Sadly, there's a 0% chance that GoW2 or 3 will ever come to PC :(.

I liked the demo for Binary Domain, it was fun. Thank you to the guy who recommended it!

#14 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

just cause 2 and red faction guerrilla are both good (and often cheap).

#15 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

@Zekhariah said:

just cause 2 and red faction guerrilla are both good (and often cheap).

Already played the hell out of Red Faction on my 360 awhile back, was pretty fun. Gonna try the Just Cause 2 demo too, thanks.

#16 Posted by Humanity (9251 posts) -

@Intro: Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are great and DS2 has a multiplayer component although I dunno how many people would still play it. Although some would call them survival-horror, on the NORMAL difficulty they play just like a shooter would and in my opinion, they are hands down the BEST sci-fi third person shooters in terms of atmosphere and visual design. It doesn't hurt that they are real fun to play.

Saints Row: The Third is awesome third person fun

Max Payne 3 is coming out on PC and has pretty solid multiplayer and since it's a new game there will be a ton of people on it

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is a pretty cool third person shooter with some interesting multiplayer in that theres a TON of customization for your character

Dark Souls is an actionRPG but it IS coming to PC and I'd be remiss to not mention it

I'm not sure but did Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning get a PC port?

#17 Posted by BeachThunder (11940 posts) -

How come no one's said Dead Space yet? Well, I'm going to say Dead Space. I like Dead Space.

#18 Edited by newfire (27 posts) -

I'll echo some recommendations-

Max Payne: replaying this on my crap pc and it's STILL a great game. I still laugh at Max's goofy grin.

Just Cause 2: This game is freakin fun. A blast to play, so much that I did so both on xbox and pc.

Red Faction Guerrilla: More mindless fun and exploding things. Get it! EDIT: OOPS I see you played it already.

Mercenaries 2: I have NO idea how the PC version runs so forgive me if it sucks. Despite it being buggy as hell on xbox, I loved it. Also I'm pretty sure it can be had for cheap- I got it for 5 bucks years ago.

Um, as for multiplayer, I loved and played the shit out of GRAW. It's kinda old, maybe part 2 has some activity online still?

#19 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

Played Just Cause 2, might end up buying that, it was fun. Although I like cover based shooters more.

I've been meaning to get Dead Space, it was like $8 on Steam in the past and I missed it, maybe next time it's on sale.

#20 Edited by X19 (2306 posts) -
#21 Posted by 1337W422102 (1011 posts) -

Max Payne.

#22 Edited by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -
@MrKlorox  said: 
Alan Wake is not and the combat is the bad part of the game.
While that is a popular opinion, I disagree. I believe the combat was designed as intended, just like Mirror's Edge 's was. You were supposed to be weak, lost, low on ammo, and have to keep evading attacks, using the environment to your advantage and knowing how and when to boost your light, usually grouping enemies together before you do it, and shooting a few precise bullets to get the kill. 
 
Aside from a few fights in the game where it gets truly frustrating and bad, I personally enjoyed the Alan Wake combat so much, I think it was the perfect combat for that game, how it was designed, and the story and background behind it.  
 
@AlexW00d said:

@Ravenlight said:

Super Monday Night Combat is great and free to play.

Bingo.

Bingo indeed!
#23 Posted by pornstorestiffi (4915 posts) -

There are few quality 3rd person shooters available for you to dive into. Just to mention a few.

  • Dead Space 1 & 2
  • Saints Row 3
  • Warhammer 40K Space Marine
  • Sniper Elite V2
  • Just Cause 2
  • Splinter Cell Convication (lets face it its not a stealth game its a fucking shooter)
  • Transformers War For Cybertron (might not be great on pc)
Online
#24 Posted by Grimmrobe (199 posts) -

Ghost Recon Advanced warfighter and Future Soldier.

#25 Posted by Herocide (440 posts) -

Thirding Space Marine. Really satisfying combat and good (if laggy) multiplayer.

#26 Posted by Intro (1207 posts) -

@Grimmrobe said:

Ghost Recon Advanced warfighter and Future Soldier.

I'm debating on purchasing Future Soldier or not when it hits Steam in June. I'm hoping the MP will be good. I may wait to buy it and just get the free to play Ghost Recon game, whenever that comes out.

#27 Edited by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@AhmadMetallic: Red Faction is broken on PC, I would suggest avoiding it. Even if it runs ok, the instant you get into a turret, the controls go to shit, worse than Dead Space by at least 10 fold. Much better on 360, sadly.

@Humanity said:

@Intro: Dead Space and Dead Space 2 are great and DS2 has a multiplayer component although I dunno how many people would still play it. Although some would call them survival-horror, on the NORMAL difficulty they play just like a shooter would and in my opinion, they are hands down the BEST sci-fi third person shooters in terms of atmosphere and visual design. It doesn't hurt that they are real fun to play.

Saints Row: The Third is awesome third person fun

Max Payne 3 is coming out on PC and has pretty solid multiplayer and since it's a new game there will be a ton of people on it

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is a pretty cool third person shooter with some interesting multiplayer in that theres a TON of customization for your character

I second all of the above. Particularly those last two. Man, Space Marine is so good on PC. It runs so damn smooth, looks great, plays fantastically. Mmmmmm.

I'll add that GTA IV is great, PC version is a pretty janky thing even now but a decent rig and you should be fine. It controls so much better than the 360 version, and is a hell of a lot of fun to dick around with friends in in the open world playing online.

#28 Edited by Babayans (1 posts) -

freedom fighters! how has that not been mentioned? (ah nm i see x19 posted it :) )

#29 Posted by Cecil (24 posts) -

@x19 said:
Freedom Fighters is a fantastic 3rd person shooter.

This. Spec Ops: The Line is pretty good, Decent story too.

#30 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4351 posts) -

Warframe

#31 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Binary Domain. The PC version now is good and the game is amazing^^

#32 Edited by Cold_Wolven (2220 posts) -

GTA IV, the shooting and cover mechanics didn't bother me enough that I wasn't enjoying the game.

#33 Edited by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

@xolare said:

@AhmadMetallic said:

@Xolare

said:

Binary Domain. Dear God that game's great.

Apparently it

really

sucks on the PC, so I wouldn't recommend it here.

Controls are iffy. That's about it.

If you want to play Binary Domain with a controller its a little more than iffy. There is no built in remapping and it has a bad habit of defaulting primary fire to the start button.