• 54 results
#1 Edited by Choi (510 posts) -

I've bought myself a nice android tablet and I want to read some new comic books on it. (best apps for comics?)

I've never been into comics really, the only one I really followed and read alot was Dylan Dog; basically your 20th century Supernatural set in London.

I adored the Walking Dead video game and might try the comic if enough of you say good things about it.

I also really, really liked the Constantine movie but have no idea how Hellblazer is.

Although The Darkness games didn't grab me hard (expecionally not the second one) I'm not apposed a mob story with a paranormal twist like that.

All the classic superhero nonsense is out of the question, I don't care for that stuff...

I'm basically looking for a serious comic book set in the real world (with some paranormal twists) with great story and characters.

Shed some light on me duders and dudettes...

and thanks :)

P.S. Don't ask why I didn't ask that on Comic Vine, I wanted to ask you guys...

Update:

So, I've read the first issues of Chew, Saga, Invicible and Y: the last man as well as the preview of The Underwater Welder.

The main problem with some other suggestions you guys had was that there are no comic books on Comixology, and I don't know any other way to get comics onto my tablet. I really want to check out Hellboy and The Goon! Anyone know where I can get them?

Saga seems really interesting and I'm sure I'll buy more issues and continue reading, probably the same with Chew and Y. Interesting stories, I'll definitely purchase more to see what series I'm going to commit to. Keep telling me whats good, and I'll keep you posted =)

#2 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1782 posts) -

@Choi: So no Dark Knight Returns then? If you hate superheroes that much just read Watchmen.

#3 Posted by Choi (510 posts) -

@c0l0nelp0c0rn1: My main problem with superhero comics is that half (or more) of the book its fights. Panels I need to look 5 minutes to figure out who's punching who (I'm talking mainly about old X-men and Spiderman comics I've come across). I want a good story and memorable and relatable characters, not some power fanstasy. Although, I have no idea how new comic books are, so I might be just talking out of my ass...

#4 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

Rocketeer.

#5 Posted by 8Bit_Archer (427 posts) -

Locke and Key is fantastic!

#6 Posted by Arabes (330 posts) -

@Choi:

Preacher, Constantine, The Sandman maybe, but it's quite fantastical - that mightn't be your thing

#7 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1783 posts) -

@Arabes said:

@Choi:

Preacher, Constantine, The Sandman maybe, but it's quite fantastical - that mightn't be your thing

My problems with The Walking Dead are all of the characters are drawn the same, I have a very difficult time telling one from the other, especially when it's close up shots of multiple clean shaven men talking, and Rick is a stupid idiot. My problem with Preacher is that it's written by Garth Ennis who can't seem to not write fucking assholes with zero redeeming qualities.

The current run of Batman is actually REALLY good. I know you don't like superheroes, but Batman isn't super. ;)

Saga is very good. So is Fables. Hellboy is actually very, VERY good if you enjoy the paranormal like I do. I have a certain fascination with myths and monsters and Hellboy is usually just a series of short stories involving all sorts of wonderful things.

#8 Posted by Kidavenger (3380 posts) -

For comics on your tablet Comixology is the way to go.

The Walking Dead, it's the best ongoing series out right now.

Preacher, A vampire, a priest, and a woman walk into a bar; batshit insanity happens; one of the best comic series ever put out. Written by Garth Ennis, the writer that made both Hellblazer and The Darkness popular at the time.

Sin City, a great crime series

I wouldn't steer completely away from superhero books, once you get through the fluff of monthly ongoing books, there are some great limited series like Watchmen, Dark Knight, Kingdom Come, and even some uniquely interesting premises like Astro City or Irredeemable.

#9 Posted by BBAlpert (1259 posts) -

Transmetropolitan is pretty good.

#10 Edited by 8Bit_Archer (427 posts) -

The Walking Dead is great and really popular right now, and I have read every Comic, but it gets boring and slow sometimes. They also get into this cycle of getting settled in a place, feeling safe for a bit, all shit breaks out, we have to flee, and finding a new place. It also suffers a bit from blowing its tension way to quick. What I mean by that is it will foreshadowing something and within the next few comics it happens. Now with that being said it has made me tear up on a number of occasions and when shit happens its pretty intense. I still read it but here lately I find my interest falling off.

Also the first 6 issues has the best art in the series after that they switched artist and in my opinion turned a comic with a really unique style into a mediocre to down right ugly comic at times Artistically.

#11 Posted by JadeGL (609 posts) -

Hellboy is one of my absolute favorites. It's great for anyone that digs the paranormal. And it covers all types of stories from all different cultures, so it's very interesting, the main thread between them being Hellboy of course. It's very easy to get into because while there is some overarching plot, especially in the earlier books, it is mainly just nice short stories that you can read pretty quickly. The aart is always fantastic too.

Sin City is great, though the quality varies from book to book. It is a great crime, noir comic that is very stylish and over the top. My favorite volume was The Big Fat Kill, but I would say you should read all of them since they are all pretty good, except maybe the final volume.

The Walking Dead is awesome. I am behind on that series but there is nothing like it. I like that the game felt like the comic so much in tone and execution, so if you dug the game I think you will like the comic.

League of Extraordinary Gentleman is pretty good, but it certainly varies a lot in quality, the first two series being the best and then it kind of fell off. It's great if you are literature geek. More of an acquired taste but I really enjoyed it. It's kind of a super hero book I guess, except the super heroes are actual heroes from literature, like Captain Nemo, Mina Harker, and Allan Quartermain.

#12 Posted by hermes (1270 posts) -

I know you disliked superhero stuff, but I think you should consider giving Watchmen a chance, especially if you didn't saw the movie.

Its short, self-contained, has awesome characters and a good story. Its mostly a deconstruction of superhero tropes, so you can enjoy it even if (or because) its not your typical "silver age superhero comic book".

Besides, is a seminal job; one of the most influential series of the last 30 years...

#13 Posted by Laiv162560asse (487 posts) -

Read early Batman, very challenging stories about the various characters' human flaws.

#14 Posted by VanderSEXXX (552 posts) -

if Japanese Comics are allowed then go for Eden by Hiroki Endo or Vagabond by Takehiko Inoue.

#15 Posted by TooSweet (361 posts) -

Oh, my main specialty. I love comics.

Non Super Heroes stuff:

The Criminal Series. Each volume is kind of a crime story. Ed Brubaker writes and Sean Phillips does the art.

GCPD: Gotham Central Police Department. Takes place in DC's Gotham City but it's all about the police force. Excellent series. Also Ed Brubaker writing.

I'll add this one but not sure if it will be your cup of tea. Especially the early storylines since they are a bit rough. Love and Rockets by the Hernandez Bros. This series is epic and beautiful. Both brothers are different in their art and writing delivery but each one is magic on paper. I've been reading this since High School and to this day I'm blown away. Xaime's art in particular is much better than his brother's and it's fun to watch change through the decades. The only supernatural stuff you'll find here is stuff based on mexican folklore. But the early stuff is a bit sci-fi themed and moves on to something more grounded. They can be weird at times but it doesn't take away from the series. In particular you may like Gilberts Palomar storyline.

If you want to try John Constantine Hellblazer I highly recommend the Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon run on the series. Same team that did the Preacher series (also highly recommended) along with cover artist Glenn Fabry.

I haven't read Hellboy but I did two of the books in the next series B.P.R.D. They were cool. Supernatural government agency.

Alias by Bryan Michael Bendis. This is a very good title and while there may be some super heroes in it it's an adult title so you won't see much in them. This book has great writing and solid art. Some messed up moments in there.

The original Books of Magic story by Neil Gaiman. It's a story about the next Merlin. Some kid in modern day England. John Constantine is in it as well. I wish I could find my copy to re-read this one. =(

Sleeper by Ed Brubaker (yep him again) A dude going deep cover to uncover a secret agency. Wicked read. Some people may have superhuman abilities but don't let that scare you off since it's certainly not the focus and not used often. Definitely a book I'll be re-reading a lot in the future.

Other recommendations, The Sandman by Neil Gaiman, Preacher (see above). League of Extraordinary Gentlemen by Alan Moore.

Hope you like some of these.

#16 Posted by Eidderf (504 posts) -

I've got a few I can think of off the top of my head.

Y the last man is well worth reading, it's about a man named Yorick (a magician with a pet monkey) who finds himself bas the last man left alive on earth after all other men are wiped out. I know it sounds like it could be an exploitative premise in a way but it handles it all very seriously and just generally has some interesting and funny characters (despite how dark it can be it has some good humour to balance things out)

I've only read the first volume but Chew seems like it could be a fun read too, essentially it's about a cop who can see the history of whatever he eats, unfortunately for him most crimes don't involve the murder of cakes if you get what I mean. It's set in a world which is very similar to ours but has some other interesting differences (for example chicken being an illegal substance) and again despite featuring cannibalism and murder it never feels too dark. The only problem with it you may have is that it has a very distinct art style to it, personally I enjoy more exaggerated, less proportioned art but I know it can be an issue for some.

I know you said you're not interested in the superhero side of comics but you could give The Boys a go, honestly it doesn't even really count as a superhero book in many ways since all the supposed heroes are basically irresponsible tabloid celebrities who have amazing abilities rather than people who actually save the day. The Boys are a group who are essentially assigned to keep them in check, though in many ways they are just as psychotic as the various superhero groups they're against. It doesn't really shy away from any subject matter and can be really grotesque in some parts but it's a great look at how terrible the idea of people having these powers in real life would be and a great satire of basically every aspect of superhero comics. It may not be serious enough for your tastes since a lot of it plays out like very dark comedy but I'd say it's worth a look.

I'm sure there are more I'm forgetting, Gotham Central is a pretty good and more grounded look at the life of the police in Gotham city, kind of like a procedural cop show but with some of the crimes involving the more colourful life in Gotham (though that's not always the case) I echo the recommendations of Transmetropolitan, Fables and Hellboy too, I also really enjoy The Goon but it's very fantastical and far from serious but it's one of the few comics I have read that has actually made me laugh. Saga is also a pretty fantastic read but again it's a dark sci-fi fairytale so not exactly what your looking for by the sounds of it.

Hope this helps.

#17 Edited by mordukai (7092 posts) -

I am a mainly a Batman reader but I do veer off sometimes.

Check out Watchmen, and V for Vendetta.

From the Batman franchise checkout:

• The Dark Knight Returns.
  • Arkham Asylum: A serious House On A Serious Earth.
  • The Long Halloween.
  • Year One.
  • The Killing Joke.
  • Knightfall.
  • Hush.
  • Joker.

I also recommend the Spawn series.

#18 Posted by Ravenlight (8033 posts) -
#19 Posted by dropabombonit (1474 posts) -

I have been reading Fatale by Ed Brubaker and that is a great read. There are 2 trades out right now and both of them are so good

#20 Posted by Sweep (8541 posts) -

I used to go out and splash close to £70 a month on comics, but I couldn't really afford that so I have narrowed it down. There are now only 2 series I buy routinely: Saga and Uncanny X-Force. Saga is perhaps the best comic I have ever read, consistently high quality artwork and story.

Uncanny x-force is another great series, a pre-emptive hit-squad that combats threats against mutant-kind. It's Wolverine, Fantomex, Deadpool, Archangel and Psylocke (Though dark Nightcrawler and Deathlock also show up occasionally) just running about murdering fools. It's incredible.

The second series of Uncanny X-Force just started so now might be a good time to pick that up. It's a new team, so that could be interesting.

I used to read The Walking Dead but the writing is pretty terrible and they don't balance it out with enough zombie action. After 100 editions it's getting pretty far-fetched, too.

The Avengers (The new series that is part of the Marvel Now event) is actually incredible, too, with some absolutely staggering artwork and surprisingly sophisticated story. I would also recommend Hawkeye (I never liked Hawkeye but his comic is impressively good) and Avenging Spider-Man is far more enjoyable than Amazing (though it's Superior now) Spider-Man because it's just his team-ups with other heroes. Wolverine and The X-Men is a much more light-hearted, almost cartoony x-men comic, which I browse through but never really buy. I used to love Deadpool, too, though like Spider-Man he tends to work best when paired up with other heroes.

#21 Posted by rentfn (1267 posts) -

A couple of people have mentioned Y the Last Man. That is a must read. It is a fantastic story.

#22 Edited by PHenry1991 (137 posts) -

Hawkeye is amazing. You should definitely check that out.

-Saga is pretty great. Hell, anything by Brian K. Vaughan is great.

-I can Definitely recommend Uncanny X-force(Premise: Wolverine leads a hit-squad. Finds out that killing has consequences.) It was a crazy ride. Some of the plot has been shifted over to Uncanny Avengers so maybe you should check that out.

-Hellblazer is ending. And being relaunched as Constantine. So if you have interest in that, maybe you should wait until march. Or start reading the Peter Milligan run since it ends with the last issue, 300.

-Mind the Gap is an interesting "Preternatural" mystery. Think the first issue is free on Comixology. First issue of Saga is as well.

-Anything by Scott Snyder. Man is a bit of a horror genius. (American Vampire, Detective Comics, Batman, Severed, and Swamp-Thing.)

-Jonathan Hickman's Avengers/New Avengers is really good. Crazy big idea Sci-fi books. Maybe check out his creator-owned comic, The Manhattan Projects.(First issue is free.)

#23 Posted by squiDc00kiE (340 posts) -

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read The Underwater Welder by Jeff Lemire. So, so, so good and it's a standalone story

#24 Posted by PHenry1991 (137 posts) -

@squiDc00kiE said:

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE read The Underwater Welder by Jeff Lemire. So, so, so good and it's a standalone story

This. It's like an episode of the Twilight Zone.

#25 Posted by TooSweet (361 posts) -

@Eidderf: Those are good choices. Y the Last Man was so good. I also look forward to the incoming volumes of Fables. Between that and League of Extraordinary Gentleman it really does put a nice twist on older stories. Chew is a trip and despite what some may say I like the unique artwork in that one.

@dropabombonit: Fatale vol. 2 is out? I need to hit the shop today. Looking forward to it. Fatale is the same character from Sleeper.

#26 Posted by TheSouthernDandy (3627 posts) -

Fell is worth looking at, so good. Written by Warren Ellis and Ben Templesmith does the art, he's the 30 Days of Night dude. Really cool art, pretty different. It's a great detective story, it's been on hiatus forever, I don't know if they'll ever get back to it but super good.

Also Invincible is freakin fantastic. It starts out as a great but sorta standard super hero coming into his powers story but takes a pretty crazy turn and gets so much better from there. It's written by Robert Kirkman, same dude as The Walking Dead. Definitely recommend it.

#27 Edited by GetEveryone (4454 posts) -

I heartily, heartily recommend Y: The Last Man and Saga. The latter is still on-going, but both incredible. Incidentally, both are written by Brian K. Vaughan.

The Sandman is fantastic, too, if very episodic.

@Sweep said:

Saga is perhaps the best comic I have ever read, consistently high quality artwork and story.

I like you Sweep. I like you a lot.

#28 Posted by GenghisJohn (256 posts) -

I definitely reccomend Invincible. It's written by the same dude who writes Walking Dead. Kid basically has the powers of superman but the story is way better and it goes from very funny to very graphic violence.

#29 Posted by ThePhantomStranger (353 posts) -

Another "I know you dislike superheros but..."

If your problem with superhero comics is the power fantasy then you should totally check out Watchmen and then All Star Superman.

Watchmen provides a nice deconstruction of all the comics that came before it and All Star Superman is a modern comic that at times doesn't even have a fight as it's conflict and when fights do take place they aren't the main focus of the story.

#30 Posted by VicRattlehead (1397 posts) -

id recommend chew, it's about a detective who gets psychic impressions by eating things like fruit or people. its really awesome guillorys art is cool every background seems to be full of little easter eggs

i also really really really like x-factor, it was easily the best monthly x-men book for a couple of years there, dunno how its faring now as i don't really buy comics anymore

#31 Posted by Shortbreadtom (512 posts) -

Buy all of the Goon Volumes (excluding volume 0) from Amazon. If you're into art, there are few better stylized comics. The character designs are fantastic, and the world they've created is surprisingly good (it's a mob story, but the mob deals with Zombies and giant fishmen). The individual stories aren't the best, but the character interactions make it worth reading.

#32 Edited by JoeyRavn (4886 posts) -

I wrote this PM earlier today, so I'll leave this here:

The classics are always a good jumping point: Batman: The Killing Joke, Watchmen and V for Vendetta by Alan Moore, Maus by Art Spiegelman, Batman: Year One and The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller, The Sandman by Neil Gaiman, Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb, Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Kid on Earth by Chris Ware... and a shitload of Grant Morrison, my personal favorite: The Invisibles, Arkham Asylum, All-Star Superman,We3, Gothic (which he later evolved into what became the Simon Hurt story arcs in Batman), the first volume of Animal Man, Flex Mentallo, Joe the Barbarian... well, a shitload of Morrison :P

I strongly recommend Jimmy Corrigan, We3 and Flex Mentallo.

Oh, and Sweet Tooth, The Underwater Welder and Lost Dogs by Jeff Lemire are great. Anything by Jeff Lemire is great. Scott Snyder is also a must-read nowadays. His stuff with Batman and Swamp Thing is top-notch, and American Vampire is a masterpiece.

#33 Posted by YoungFrey (1319 posts) -

Chew - Those people recommending it are correct.

Northlanders - Vikings doing vikings ass stuff. An interesting looks at the culture that is way more than just "The vikings are attacking".

DMZ - What if there was a US civil war and NYC ended up as a sort of no-mans-land with no services or governement or escape for the thousands of people trapped there for years.

Locke & Key - A great horror series by Stephen King's son.

Sandman - A classic. Some of my favorite comic stories are from this run. I don't feel like the art holds up well, but the writing does.

#34 Posted by Arabes (330 posts) -

@Artemesia: Ya Hellboy is pretty good, I enjoyed that.

@Choi: Transmetropolitan if you like scifi, i thought it was really funny. And Top 10. Everyone in the city is a super hero but the the story is about the cops who poilice the city.

#35 Posted by Choi (510 posts) -

Woow! Thank you all for so much info, support and advice! I'll be downloading some of the free stuff you recommended first, seeing if I really like any, and get back to you on my impressions!

You all helped me dive into comics, I was always bewildered on my own! Thank you community, you're the best :*

Btw, Dylan Dog had some crazy, over the top, Antichamber type stuff too. Some issues were just shit that fucked with your brain like your on drugs! I'm definitely for some of that too =)

Also, I really want to read a comic that takes advantage of the format if that makes any sense. If you ever read anything and said: "This illustration/panel/situation is only accomplishable with comics" or "this illustration/panel/situation is a smart way of conveying that with a comic" I'd appreciate you throw it my way.

For now, I'll check Saga, Y: the last man, and Locke nad Key because I'm a HUGE Stephen King fan! Probably check out everything you guys mention at some point (Hellboy seems an american, more over the top version of Dylan Dogs stories which I approve), even the Japanese ones ^_^

#36 Posted by deathfury (529 posts) -

Check out Punisher MAX. It's basically the adult version of Marvel's Punisher series. There's no superheroes, just Frank Castle vs the criminal underworld. Great shit all around, though it is very dark.

#37 Posted by Slay3r1583 (583 posts) -

I'm just going to throw some random non-superhero stuff out there. I have no idea if any of these are available digitally however.

Orc Stain

Queen & Country

Richard Stark's Parker by Darwyn Cooke

Crecy by Warren Ellis

Fear Agent

Dong Xoai, Vietnam 1965

I Kill Giants

Blankets

#38 Posted by Bertlezat (17 posts) -

Personally I'm a big fan of the "Cape and Cowl" genre, so most of my recommendations would come from that. If you are interested in some superhero stuff that is more about character development and story telling then I have some suggestions, but otherwise some non-superhero stuff that I have enjoyed...

• Hellboy, if you like this check out BPRD too
  • Y the Last Man
  • The Stephen King stuff by Marvel - The Dark Tower and The Stand are the ones that I have read
  • There is a long line of decent to good Star Wars comics out there, you can get a bunch of them in omnibus form now. Some that I have are Tales of the Jedi (Vol. 1 and 2) and X-wing: Rogue Squadron
  • V for Vendetta, Many of Allan Moore's things aren't "Cape and Cowl"; Also, League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
#39 Posted by happymeowmeow (199 posts) -

I've been reading The Unwritten lately, very good series about the power of fiction to shape reality.

There's also Mouse Guard, which like the title implies is about mice in a medieval-esque society. Illustrations are incredible.

#40 Posted by MarkWahlberg (4494 posts) -

Hellblazer can be a bit hit or miss, but the Dangerous Habits arc is totally worth reading. Good starting point, too.

#41 Posted by AMS (12 posts) -

Sandman

#42 Posted by PulledaBrad (607 posts) -

If you want to support an immoral asshole then by all means start on the waking dead

#43 Posted by Xavtron (93 posts) -

Said several times here but Saga is great. Mage: The Hero Discovered and Mage: The Hero Defined are absolute classics. Atomic Robo is probably one of the best humour based comics out there at the moment. I've recently been enjoying the Tower Chronicles and the recently finished mini series Dancer. George RR Martin did a graphic novel called Doorways that's a really good, short, sci fi story. Sandman, Scalped, The Shade, Daytripper and Casanova are also pretty damn good.

#44 Posted by mandude (2667 posts) -

The Dark Knight Returns. Even if you don't like superhero comics (I don't either), I'd still recommend this one. It's Batman at his coolest.

Maus. This is probably one of the best pieces of media, I've ever consumed, made all the better by the fact that it's a true story.

V for Vendetta. If you didn't like the movie: good! This is nothing like it! If you did: good! This is much better!

Watchmen. There is no excuse not to read this.

#45 Posted by MB (11298 posts) -

@deathfury said:

Check out Punisher MAX. It's basically the adult version of Marvel's Punisher series. There's no superheroes, just Frank Castle vs the criminal underworld. Great shit all around, though it is very dark.

Dude yes. Punisher MAX is so awesome...a friend got me into comics by starting me off with the Punisher MAX books and he's still my favorite character to this day. Highly recommended.

#46 Posted by Agent_Prince (24 posts) -

For non-superhero books currently running:-

Walking Dead is good, especially if you start from the beginning

Saga is wonderful

Rachel Rising is also a very dark and interesting concept

Many of the titles by Aspen Comics look glorious, and are worth it just for the art alone.

#47 Posted by L44 (510 posts) -

Nearly anything involving Alan Moore.

#48 Posted by bluefish (371 posts) -

Watchmen. Obviously.

I also really enjoyed Iron Man: Extremis

#49 Edited by Sinusoidal (1152 posts) -
#50 Posted by Choi (510 posts) -

Check out the Update on the original post, I've read some of your recommendations.