• 74 results
mamboozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By mamboozo
I don't know enough about you to tell you if you'd like the new Kanye West album. Hell, I'm not even sure if I like or hate it yet.
I don't know enough about you to tell you if you'd like the new Kanye West album. Hell, I'm not even sure if I like or hate it yet.
While there's been an off-and-on call for changes to the way games are reviewed for years now, the intensity of these calls seems to have increased over the past 12 months. Some people are finding reviews to be impenetrable. Others think they don't offer enough actual criticism, with many outlets devoting pages and pages to essentially retyping the instruction manual before getting on to the "is this game any good or not" part. Then there are the random attacks from folks who seem to think that reviewers aren't even playing the games they're writing about.

With a varied outcry like this from several different groups of people, you might think that the status-quo for game reviews has got to go. Well, I'm still not entirely convinced that game reviews have travelled to the land of music reviews, where only a scant few seem to actually get anything meaningful out of them, while the rest of us just buy music that we've heard before and already know we'll enjoy. Part of that's because games often have mild-to-severe technical issues that can absolutely ruin the experience. The other reason is that at $60, games simply can't be the disposable, impulse purchase that music and movies can be. But I'm not really here to defend the form.

I've read a couple of interesting articles that touch on some of these topics that you may want to check out.

Gamasutra's Leigh Alexander has a piece up on Kotaku discussing, specifically, the notion of people being into games enough to be into games, but somehow not into them enough to get online and actually read anything about them. It's a large segment that probably accounts for the majority of people out there playing games. Believe it or not, there's still a world of people out there who make their game purchasing decisions based on a cool ad on TV, or game rentals, or even by staring at the back of the box.

Sounds like a crap shoot to me, but then, as the guy who has written game reviews for the last decade or so, I'm the very guy you'd expect to say that game reviews serve a very real purpose when used correctly.

The other article is a bit more pointed, it's Keith Stuart penning an article for The Guardian titled "Do game reviewers really understand innovation?" It goes on to talk about Mirror's Edge and starts to compare game reviews to film reviews. He claims that if Mirror's Edge were a movie, "it would be considered a forward-thinking masterpiece."

Personally, I think Mirror's Edge is a forward-thinking mess, though my opinion on the game doesn't really have much to do with what we're talking about here. Considering how much of a game's enjoyment typically comes from its execution, great ideas that don't translate well into an actual game are effectively useless and only serve as a big, blinking sign that screams "UNTAPPED POTENTIAL." That's a big part of why you see reviewers lamely say "maybe they'll fix it in the sequel," and it's what makes the comparisons between game reviews and film or music misguided. It's only in extremely rare cases--take most the Metal Gear Solid series, for example--that a game's concepts and ideas can elevate it above and beyond clunky, frustrating mechanics. And Metal Gear essentially did it by making the most interesting parts non-interactive.

Similarly, we still don't know enough about you to accurately tell you if you'll like this or not.
Similarly, we still don't know enough about you to accurately tell you if you'll like this or not.
I'm not really here to defend "the game review." In fact, I think most of them could be better. Most of the popular styles of game reviews that are employed by outlets today are less valid than they used to be, since attempts at singular authority and true objectivity make the insane assumption that there's a "right" answer to the game review question. As gaming spreads out and its audience's tastes diverge more and more, no one review can possibly serve everyone's needs. At best, it's my feeling that the right path is one that deals in specifics about our personal experiences with the game, even though there's no guarantee that the reader will have an identical one. We can point out the things we feel are relevant, and hopefully answer some questions that any prospective buyer may have about the product in question. Not to bring too much of our take into the discussion, but it's this concept of "no review fits all" that led to a lot of the decisions we made about Giant Bomb's reviews, from the scoring system to the first-person tense.

I find that I'm also becoming increasingly drawn to more personal takes on game quality, even if I don't think those serve the same purpose as a more traditional review. Take, for example, this review of Gears of War 2 from Tim Rogers. It's a fun read, definitely moreso than my own text review of the game was. But then, I don't think I would get nearly as much out of the review if I hadn't already played Gears of War 2 for myself. As a result of that, I can totally relate to Rogers' highs and lows, or at least understand precisely what he's getting at in cases where I don't agree. If I was trying to figure out if I should buy the game for myself, I'd probably come away from that article thinking "well, that guy sure seems to like it" and very little else. The Escapist's regular video series, Zero Punctuation, is largely the same way. Without any shared reference points, the words would lose much of their meaning. I'm not intending this as a knock against either Rogers or Ben Croshaw, mind you. That's just a factor of the way they've decided to cover games and I'd guess that it was a very deliberate decision.

But to just blindly throw out every aspect of game reviews in order to ensure games like Mirror's Edge get more credit than they probably deserve doesn't exactly sound like a great way to go about doing things, either. It's asking reviewers to talk more about the developer's intentions than about the actual product. That doesn't seem right at all. The people seeking revolutionary innovation at all costs are also probably the people who would listen to a podcast or dig deeper into alternative coverage of a game to see that, even though the core game is absolutely flawed, there's still something here worth seeing.

Either way, these links are some interesting reads. What say you, dear readers?
mamboozo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By mamboozo
While there's been an off-and-on call for changes to the way games are reviewed for years now, the intensity of these calls seems to have increased over the past 12 months. Some people are finding reviews to be impenetrable. Others think they don't offer enough actual criticism, with many outlets devoting pages and pages to essentially retyping the instruction manual before getting on to the "is this game any good or not" part. Then there are the random attacks from folks who seem to think that reviewers aren't even playing the games they're writing about.

With a varied outcry like this from several different groups of people, you might think that the status-quo for game reviews has got to go. Well, I'm still not entirely convinced that game reviews have travelled to the land of music reviews, where only a scant few seem to actually get anything meaningful out of them, while the rest of us just buy music that we've heard before and already know we'll enjoy. Part of that's because games often have mild-to-severe technical issues that can absolutely ruin the experience. The other reason is that at $60, games simply can't be the disposable, impulse purchase that music and movies can be. But I'm not really here to defend the form.

I've read a couple of interesting articles that touch on some of these topics that you may want to check out.

Gamasutra's Leigh Alexander has a piece up on Kotaku discussing, specifically, the notion of people being into games enough to be into games, but somehow not into them enough to get online and actually read anything about them. It's a large segment that probably accounts for the majority of people out there playing games. Believe it or not, there's still a world of people out there who make their game purchasing decisions based on a cool ad on TV, or game rentals, or even by staring at the back of the box.

Sounds like a crap shoot to me, but then, as the guy who has written game reviews for the last decade or so, I'm the very guy you'd expect to say that game reviews serve a very real purpose when used correctly.

The other article is a bit more pointed, it's Keith Stuart penning an article for The Guardian titled "Do game reviewers really understand innovation?" It goes on to talk about Mirror's Edge and starts to compare game reviews to film reviews. He claims that if Mirror's Edge were a movie, "it would be considered a forward-thinking masterpiece."

Personally, I think Mirror's Edge is a forward-thinking mess, though my opinion on the game doesn't really have much to do with what we're talking about here. Considering how much of a game's enjoyment typically comes from its execution, great ideas that don't translate well into an actual game are effectively useless and only serve as a big, blinking sign that screams "UNTAPPED POTENTIAL." That's a big part of why you see reviewers lamely say "maybe they'll fix it in the sequel," and it's what makes the comparisons between game reviews and film or music misguided. It's only in extremely rare cases--take most the Metal Gear Solid series, for example--that a game's concepts and ideas can elevate it above and beyond clunky, frustrating mechanics. And Metal Gear essentially did it by making the most interesting parts non-interactive.

I'm not really here to defend "the game review." In fact, I think most of them could be better. Most of the popular styles of game reviews that are employed by outlets today are less valid than they used to be, since attempts at singular authority and true objectivity make the insane assumption that there's a "right" answer to the game review question. As gaming spreads out and its audience's tastes diverge more and more, no one review can possibly serve everyone's needs. At best, it's my feeling that the right path is one that deals in specifics about our personal experiences with the game, even though there's no guarantee that the reader will have an identical one. We can point out the things we feel are relevant, and hopefully answer some questions that any prospective buyer may have about the product in question. Not to bring too much of our take into the discussion, but it's this concept of "no review fits all" that led to a lot of the decisions we made about Giant Bomb's reviews, from the scoring system to the first-person tense.

I find that I'm also becoming increasingly drawn to more personal takes on game quality, even if I don't think those serve the same purpose as a more traditional review. Take, for example, this review of Gears of War 2 from Tim Rogers. It's a fun read, definitely moreso than my own text review of the game was. But then, I don't think I would get nearly as much out of the review if I hadn't already played Gears of War 2 for myself. As a result of that, I can totally relate to Rogers' highs and lows, or at least understand precisely what he's getting at in cases where I don't agree. If I was trying to figure out if I should buy the game for myself, I'd probably come away from that article thinking "well, that guy sure seems to like it" and very little else. The Escapist's regular video series, Zero Punctuation, is largely the same way. Without any shared reference points, the words would lose much of their meaning. I'm not intending this as a knock against either Rogers or Ben Croshaw, mind you. That's just a factor of the way they've decided to cover games and I'd guess that it was a very deliberate decision.

But to just blindly throw out every aspect of game reviews in order to ensure games like Mirror's Edge get more credit than they probably deserve doesn't exactly sound like a great way to go about doing things, either. It's asking reviewers to talk more about the developer's intentions than about the actual product. That doesn't seem right at all. The people seeking revolutionary innovation at all costs are also probably the people who would listen to a podcast or dig deeper into alternative coverage of a game to see that, even though the core game is absolutely flawed, there's still something here worth seeing.

Either way, these links are some interesting reads. What say you, dear readers?
BlackHawk53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#2  Edited By BlackHawk53

Great Article Jeff, I love when you get all philosphical.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Thrawn1

on the subject of subjective reviews, did you, jeff, happen to hear about of all the hating on your MK vs DC review from the latest gamesradar podcast? it seems that their main reason for being frustrated with your 5 star rating is becasue they aren't really into the whole "crazy fighting game" thing. For example, they think the story from mK vs DC is complete trash, while they seem to have enjoyed the latest WWE smackdown game.

it's another example of game reviewers that have varying tastes, which is something that gamers who depend on reviews need to understand. I'm way into to "crazy fighting games," and so are you, so I can conclude that i need to buy the game, based off your 5 star rating.

unangbangkay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By unangbangkay

That's the big problem (or the great thing) with video games, that their mechanics and concepts go hand in hand to make an effective (or ineffective) games. And in the end, it comes down to personal tolerances or capacity for forgiveness on part of each that forms a person's enjoyment. I love Mirror's Edge because its appeal to me is exactly like that of a Stuntman game, in trying things over and over until that final perfect run. It's not for everyone, and anyone planning to go through the campaign just once will probably have a hell of a time (in a bad way), but I did get what was "good" and "bad" about the review.

The best reviews don't really tell you whether something is good or bad, but rather whether you'll enjoy this or that. It sounds similar, but it's not.

Serker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5  Edited By Serker

I hope nobody is buying Gears of War 2 because of that blurb in the Spotlight section of the NXE for "Great Visuals" and "Stunning Sequel"

Psynapse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Psynapse

Jeff, keep doing what ever you guys are doing.

I come to GB for good reviews, they are nice and short and give me a good idea if i should look into the game further.

People who complain about reviews (namely that guy ragging on you about the MK vs DC review) have issues. I know that you guys aren't the be all and end all of gaming reviews, but i take what you guys say into account when i spend my $80-110 (Australia sucks) on my gaming goodness.

The way that you guys rate games is fantastic, you don't singularly rate games on graphics/gameplay/sound etc, you rate it if its a good play or not, and at the end of the day thats all that matters. I don't care about graphics and sound as much as i care if i have a good time playing the game or not.

Sorry to ramble, but I hate the crap that reviewers get from others that have no idea what you are on about. I would rather your review system over someone's who rates a game out of a 0-100 scale and can justify a point here and a point there.

Reviews are subjective peices of writing and are largely influenced by a writers original opinions of the genre/franchise/platform.

Its time people realise that its not gospel, but its a single opinion about a game which makes that score what it is, hence why when you look on metacritic there are so many variations. Just because GB (or any other site) may rate it a bad game doesn't mean that its crap, its just that their experience with the game wasn't what the others experienced.

Sorry to crap on for so long, i've probably overstepped my mark and missed the point. But stuff like this really 'grinds my gears'...

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By sweep  Moderator

Blog incoming!!

chililili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By chililili

I really like the GB review system and the 5 star system I think every page should manage it that way, but meh, the difficult thing is that a game can't hope to be very innovative and just sell well, case in point Alone in the Dark and Mirror's Edge, it has to be innovative AND play well. Also movies are different because in movies you can go oooo this technique is very unique and interesting and if the rest of the movie is garbage you just lost 2 hours. Games take more time and make people less forgiving.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By BiggerBomb

Mamboozo?

thebazel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By thebazel

Unless one person is doing every review for a website, you're always going to get varying degreees of likes and dislikes which will inevitably lead to some websites having biases for certain things. For example, why is this website always reviewing the XBox360 version of a game and not the PS3? Or why does this website not review any RPGs whatsoever, including a game like Valkyria Chronicles which most people who have reviewed it having no problem calling it a contender for game of the year. Of course it won't win because of the overhype games like GoW or GTA4 get but the truth is a collection of random gamers reviewing hundreds of games can never be an accurate barometer for whether or not a game should be bought. I come here because I enjoy the community and talking about games, but the truth is I don't hold the reviewers opinions any higher than any one on the forum. I read player reviews just as much as Jeff's or Brad's. The Giant Bomb crew don't have any special reviewing powers that I don't have, even if they've played a million more games than me that doesn't mean they know more than I do about the games I like, or anyone likes for that matter. They just give their opinions on what they like, and I enjoy that. Look at the priority Brad gave to reviewing Final Fantasy 4 as a reference..

mussbus999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By mussbus999

Psynapse pretty much said everything I wanted and needed to say

nasie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nasie

Great read, and some valid points. The key for me when reading reviews is reading pieces by people that I can relate to and understand how they think, so I totally agree with the objectiveness thing, it's crazy.

sloppyjoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By sloppyjoe

Being into games, like most of the GB readers, I don't get much out of reviews unless they are on under-the-radar games.  Games that I don't already have any idea what they are about.  Those are the ones where I read a review and say " what is this game?".  Chances are that if I already know the gameplay, then I already know if I like it.  Honestly, gameplay videos (like live marathons, etc) tell me a lot more than reviews a lot of the time.  If I like watching someone else play it, then I probably like it to some extent.  Reviews are also helpful when you've got $60 or some other moderate amount of cash and there are several games to pick from.  You need to pick one... and it's nice to figure out which ones are broken and/or the same as their predecessor.

trulyalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 17

#14  Edited By trulyalive

It's trippy because having finished Fable II and thinking about how to write a review for that, I tore up half my notes because they were in reference to "What Peter Molyneux promised."
Looking at this scenario from the otherside, when you discount Molyneux's intentions, Fable II becomes a lot better, but in any case saying a game is good or bad because of the intentions of those who made it is not the right way to go. If a developer fails some of his/her goals, but the game has heart, it can save it, but it shouldn't be recognised on the ground of what it tried to do, rather that it should be commended on what it achieves and criticised on what it doesn't.

No game is perfect and it goes without saying that neither is any review, but in the case of a review all you can do is talk from experience and make it common knowledge that it is your experience and your opinion. With any luck, you'll find an audience (however niche that audience may be) that agrees with you, for the most part, but regardless of the outcome you safe in the knowledge that you spoke from your heart (and sometimes your head, too).

Quesa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 13

#15  Edited By Quesa

I'd really like to see more of these sorts of articles, if anything to liven things up a bit. Good job Jeff!

My two cents:
I'm not a fan of things like metacritic and gamerankings. Reviews are, in essence, opinions, and like all things there are opinions that matter more to you than others. If you've read several reviews by the same person and relate to their tastes, then you're more likely to value that person's opinion. You shouldn't look at all the reviews to gauge the quality of the game, simply the opinons of the people behind them. sure, we're more lucky in the video game industry to have mroe glaring flaws to find (i.e. graphical tears, bad animations and the like), and more often than in other mediums there is a consenus, but when you get into games that dont' have such easily identifiable flaws, opinions start to change from person to person. The bottom line is you can't just take the sum of all the reviews and say "this is how good this game is", but instead take in the opinions of people you value. I value GB's opinions on games because I've read stuff by them for a long time now and I relate to their tastes. When they give a review, I take their review into consideration when I'm thinking about buying a game, but I also value opinions from other websites as well. Take into consideration reviews of the people whose opinion you value, because reviews are two things and two things only: an opinion and buyer's guide, although at times people take them as much more than that.

LeBart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By LeBart

To me, a review is usefull only if I know the reviewer to a certain extend. If Jeff likes a shooter, I know there is a good chance it will be a good purchase for me. If  Kevin Van Ord likes an RPG, I generaly like it too.

For a game like Mirror's Edge, Ryan's review is absolutly useless to me because I know he doesn't care about art in games or immersion as much as pure fun and solid gameplay. I will tend to search for a reviewer who looks for the same thing as I do for each genre. It's not that difficult.

Also, people need to stop taking offense when a game they love is not so well receivedby critics. If you love a game, then why are you even looking at reviews ?
YellowChu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By YellowChu

Good job Jeff, your the expert.

Mateus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Mateus

Well,
I really think reviews are point of views, no matter how far way from his personal taste a reviewer tries to be , there will always be the personal touch.
I have always based my gaming purchases on reviews, and I really think reviewers pay a great service to the gaming community , since games cost so much nowadays.
So to base your purchases on reviews you have to find a reviewer, or a website that has the taste that meets yours. 
For me , it used to be Ign , but lately they have been bashing games I really like, so I went to look for other reviews. Today I read every review there is to read about a game and take into account each opinion I find. I usually read IGN`s, Gamespot, GB and watch GT reviews. I also like Zero Punctuation reviews , but I think they must not be taken too seriously , since Ben Croshaw is a really grumpy guy.
One bad thing about having to read all this reviews is that it takes time, a lot of time, on a season like this one, it has been taking a HUGE ammount of time.  So I tend to prefer video reviews, as they pretty much sum everything that is said on text ( On Ign they simply read it for you).
One thing I have to complain about reviews todays is that everybody evaluates the same things , games cannot be linear, games have to be long , etc. etc.
Between my family work and friends I don`t have much time to play games , I LOVE short games, because I can never finish really long games, like oblivion for example. What`s wrong with a linear story ?!?! I loose so much time doing shit on GTA IV that when I play the next story mission I totaly forget what the last one was about. One example of a great game, IMHO, that didn`t get good reviews is John Woo`s Stranglehold, it was a  little repetitive, a little flawed, but it was incredbly fun and should have had reviews around the 8`s , and not the 7`s it receieved.
I also think inovation is overrated: mirror`s Edge Ideas are great, but  too Human`s control scheme sucks...
Well, I am loosing my point here. To sum everything up. I think reviewers have to consider their taste when writing their reviews, otherwise they will all be the same. That way we can consider every point of view before buying a game. I also  think the idea of what makes a game good has to be changed a little, afterall a game shall be fun, even though it is linear, short and doesn't look that good.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
BiggerBomb said:
"Mamboozo?"
I was wandering the same thing. In the article it says it's by jeff, but on the forums it's by some guy called Mamboozo. Weird.
Manachild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Manachild

Great article jeff. Disagree about the forward thinking mess remark about Mirror's edge tho, i think its a great game .... what can ya do...

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By brukaoru

I agree with your thoughts about the article asking if game reviewers understand innovation. Being innovative does not necessarily always translate to being a good thing. Innovative simply means introducing new ideas, and how many games have there been that have been innovative but have fallen short in some aspect of it's gameplay? At the end of the day, a game can be as innovative as it wants, but it needs to make sure that what it implements is still playable and enjoyable.

I also agree that many game reviews could be better, but I will put part of the blame on the majority of readers who usually don't read the reviews anyway. There are so many people who only care about what score a review gets without taking the time to read the review and I think this has affected the quality of a review. Whether reviewers try to appeal by writing long, redundant information, or putting in "catchy" phrases that they think are funny but have nothing to do with the game, it's become more of an entertainment piece than an informal one... Not to say that throwing in a joke here and there is a bad thing, but a review should be able to speak about the game in an informal matter that will make sense to anyone reading it. Also, a review shouldn't be so short that it leaves me with a bunch of unanswered questions, in which the gameplay is hardly touched on.

Anyway, really enjoyed reading this, good write-up!

Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Beware, an entirely subjective review is useless. Entertainment at best. I listen to Yhatzee to have a good laugh, it doesn't influence my purchasing decisions. Total objectivity is impossible, but it's the objective parts that make a review useful. You mention that elusive value as if it's a bad thing, worthless. It's probably the most important part. Almost all games have some audience. You should try and reach out to that audience. You should be giving me what the game does have to offer. I really have a hard time caring about what you personally got from the game, or what the gaming community gets from the game. I didn't like Gears of War, for instance. Reading the reviews, you'd think it's the best thing sense sliced bread. Opinions are useless. Do not dicount the facts.

One reason I don't like the five star rating, it gives current games too much credit, just like giving out 9s and 10s like water. It's telling the current developers that it's ok to be of substandard quality at high price. Really, the standards of this industry have gotten pathetic over the past years. Story is a good example. They are usually so cliched it's painfull to watch.

Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Icil
In the article:
"The other article is a bit more pointed, it's Keith Stuart penning an article for The Guardian titled "Do game reviewers really understand innovation?" It goes on to talk about Mirror's Edge and starts to compare game reviews to film reviews. He claims thatif Mirror's Edge were a movie, "it would be considered a forward-thinking masterpiece.""

What dumb logic by him (in bold, not Jeff's comment). If a movie of innovation (Cloverfield, let's say) was directly translated into a video game, it'd be boring as fuck. Video games have different criteria, and that may also include innovation and how important it is.

In fact, Cloverfield is a perfect example of a movie with innovation and (arguably, since I haven't seen it) shitty execution.
FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#24  Edited By FLStyle

I for one think that this "Recommended Reading" should become it's own monthy long, thought-provoking post, as I enjoyed this unlimited read on a good subject.

jeff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

#25  Edited By jeff
MattyFTM said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Mamboozo?"
I was wandering the same thing. In the article it says it's by jeff, but on the forums it's by some guy called Mamboozo. Weird."
Bit of a bug that I just stumbled onto. I'll let dudes know. BEWARE OF MAMBOOZO HE IS EVERYWHERE AND NOWHERE
BawlZINmotion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By BawlZINmotion

Game "scores" should be abolished and a 3 colour code system brought in as a replacement. Green for good, yellow for mediocre and red for bad. The reasons why, as always, would then be chronicled in the written portion. Most reviewers are capable of setting aside their personal tastes to shed light on whether a product is well made. This way there aren't any scores, just indications whether or not a game is worth a purchase, if someone should try it first or avoid touching something altogether.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By BiggerBomb
Jeff said:
"MattyFTM said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Mamboozo?"
I was wandering the same thing. In the article it says it's by jeff, but on the forums it's by some guy called Mamboozo. Weird."
Bit of a bug that I just stumbled onto. I'll let dudes know. BEWARE OF MAMBOOZO HE IS EVERYWHERE AND NOWHERE"

There is a bug that generates a man named Mamboozo? That's pretty sweet! =P
niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By niall077

I dont know why so much fate is put in reviews.   look at any "system wars" forum to see why

Im all about DEMOS, DEMOS, DEMOS.

just let me play it and make my own opinion.

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Cheapoz

I'll tell you my thoughts, you need to make a Too Human-esque video defending/destroying Mirror's Edge reviewers.

Also, I think a lot of people need to do less talking, more reviewing. There's no right or wrong, there's just the way you do it.    
neoepoch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By neoepoch

I agree with Cheapoz. You should make a video like that, but instead of bein' gangsta you should be a primp and proper. Until about halfway through when the Bees start flyin'. Ya heard?

Zaerus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Zaerus

The only real issue i see here is that reviews are taken WAY too serious... like by a few lightyears.
If you want reviews that apply to everyone... you're shit out of luck. That goes for any media.

I think It's also the reason why fanboys try to impale reviewers for scores they disagree with, why developers cry out for their extra sammich on their table and why companies like eidos try to frame everyone into that "hey look people! everyone likes our game, so you propably will too..." bullshit.

The fact that the score scale is dubbed the 5 to 10 scale is already rediculous beyond belief. If you hate the experience a game is giving you, you should be able to put a 1 to that game. With no real consequence other then people knowing that YOU, the reviewer disliked the game, NOMATTER WHO MADE IT... noir howmuch it was advertised / hyped / pushed into people's face.

I totally agree with eidos about it might setting back people who originally wanted to buy the game, but hey, the fact that it's happening already is a problem to begin with. So stop watching metacritic like it's the voice of god. Infact, make it honest, count user scores to the overall. (& stop crapping your pants for that one angry gamer that'll give a 0 who bought it & hates it. They exist, get over it.)
Because really, who's an expert in liking things? And who the hell is the judge over that? Does having a big videogame site mean you know how to like something better then anyone else?
NO. They do however see technical issues, new things games are doing and introduce people to new games they otherwise never knew. Like indie games who's developer doesn't have the big bux to spam a user on every site they visit.

Having said that, Publishers have WAY toomuch infuence. Developers should call the shots, at all times. Publishers should be piling up infront of their doors of well known franchises hoping they get the PRIVILEDGE to distribute, advertise... and whatever else those goons do.

The fact that a developer can lay off games because they're too abstract and not enough like game X that sold so well last time... is a crying shame. It's a thorn in something called innovation. New ideas.. and whenever they do take the shot like mirror's edge and fail... stop whining. You tried something new and it's not so good... It's like grabbing a guitar, playing some horrible noise that only you like and go: "No one's doing this and i love it.. i can't understand why my cd's won't sell." (then pointing at whoever dislikes it and claim they're the issue.)

... i know that developing games cost alot of money, and no one likes to take risks anymore in this day and age because of that. But atleast show some understanding that if  your game does bad, you made a mistake. Not the people that don't like it. If you do fault them you shouldn't be making games in the first place because you value your money over your product. aka go work in a factory.

Last: i agree with anyone that wants more demo's. They're the only real way of knowing if you like a game or not...

Sorry this got so long, but stuff like this pisses me off.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Milkman

Great article, Jeff. Just so know, I'm not the kind of guy who hates Kanye West's new album. Come on, Kanye! What is this Love Lockdown trash?

Kohe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Kohe321

That was an awesome article, well written.

zoozilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By zoozilla

9/10!

I really like these "Recommended Reading" articles.

Keep it up.  Or else.  Just joking.  But really, keep it up.

RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#35  Edited By RHCPfan24

Awesome article. I seriously like analysis of game reviews because sometimes the hyperbole of them or just understanding can get out of hand.  And yeah, I can't believe people still buy $60 games with no background information.  That is why you see kids buy Hour of Victory because it looks like a neat WWII shooter. ;)

akumous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By akumous

Jeff, I have always been an avid user because of your reviews and your quirky behavior. GB's reviews have substance, they get right to the point and give the user enough insight of whether or not the game is a worthy buy. We should not care of what the game could have been but how it plays now, how's the immediate package. We, as gamers, should not forgive games for their flaws because we love the producers or the system. Games aren't cheap...and games should be fun not frustrating due to technical flaws and poor control.

SusurrusKarma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#37  Edited By SusurrusKarma

As someone who has written reviews for games, music and movies, I can honestly say that crossover between elements considered for each medium rarely occurs. Sure, broadly speaking each deals with the psychology of the experience; how each can trigger and evoke certain emotional responses (such is the core of these experiences, after all). But, it is when you begin to analyze why the different mediums affect us that you begin to differentiate between the three. There are similarities yes, but the differences are what not only define it as a separate medium but constitute how the audience or player reacts to them. Therefor a game cannot and should never be judged purely on its intent or artistic vision such as a movie or symphony may get away with. A game by its very nature relies on the implementation of the design- how it interacts with the player, to get across that vision. Games such as Mirror's Edge are innovative yes, but one cannot simply ignore the blatant design flaws that annoyingly get in the way of enjoying this sample of originality.

In regards to video game criticism, I do wish reviews were less wordy and less focused on technical descriptions. I think most reviewers in this current age tend to get wrapped up in the many details of a game and forget to try and convey the experience of simply playing through it. I don't need to know why a control map is clunky through laborious descriptions, I simply need to know that it is clunky, and that's it. As long as we're talking target demographic, the video game audience surely isn't one to be keen on reading thousands upon thousands of words unless there is little else available and demand of news is extremely high. I think that if video game journalism is to be taken more seriously (especially as the slowly dying written-form) the reviews themselves need to -not dumb down- but simply become more concise and less involved with trivial descriptions that do little in the way of painting the bigger (much more informative and decisive) picture.

wokavan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By wokavan

Just wanted to say I really enjoyed the great article, Jeff. Recently I've become a bit over saturated with the constant news-snippet reporting of joystiq et al and have been searching for some of the more interesting takes on gaming that're out there. More links please!

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Media_Master

Nice read!

hendenson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By hendenson

The thing I did not like about Keith Stuart's column is that he went on about Mirror's Edge being art, or something. He's ignoring one undeniable thing that I noticed about the game: it actually plays fine. The controls are fine. The combat is fine, but you can only take three hits, and you are supposed to avoid it for the most part. So you fall and die here and there. Big deal; there are check points every two minutes. The biggest problem with the game is that it is too short. Rent it. It's a helluva a good time.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I love reading your guys reviews, and video reviews, I can`t wait to purchase MK Vs DC. I don`t follow any reviews religiously as some I disagree with but GiantBomb`s has had a awesome bunch of reviews so far, you tell the straight truth and no bullshit, hell thats why we have this site, keep on doin what you do best! (Reviewing) ;)

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Milkman said:
"Great article, Jeff. Just so know, I'm not the kind of guy who hates Kanye West's new album. Come on, Kanye! What is this Love Lockdown trash?"

Kayne West, ruining good songs one at a time...
(or was that akon?)
AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By AndrewB

I remember Giant Bomb reviewing the "best of E3 awards" picks (at least, I believe that's where I'm remembering this from), and I've been thinking about how much we really need a "review the reviewers" type site; a metacritic for video game sites and specific game reviewers.

And yes, I'm being sarcastic. But it seems like that's what the industry is coming to. Reviewers can do whatever the hell they want to do, though they have to take into account, at the end of the day, that what they do has an impact on their continued readership.

daniel_beck_90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By daniel_beck_90
Jeff said:
"MattyFTM said:
"BiggerBomb said:
"Mamboozo?"
Bit of a bug that I just stumbled onto. I'll let dudes know. BEWARE OF MAMBOOZO HE IS EVERYWHERE AND NOWHERE"
now that is chilling  lol
SidVicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By SidVicious

What qualifies someone to be a critic....?

Cheapoz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Cheapoz

Kanye's album is blistering hot fire btw, feel free to love it Jeffrey.    

dantebk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#48  Edited By dantebk

I would expect that, the more games one has played, the more one would enjoy Mirror's Edge.  Clearly, given the number of reviewers that thought it a "mess," I was wrong.  I, for one, have played quite a few games, and for that I do appreciate Mirror's Edge's innovations, despite its flaws.  GTA IV was a great game, to be sure, but it was so very familiar.  When a game gives me a new feeling, that's something I truly appreciate.  Of course I found occasion to curse Mirror's Edge's single player campaign, but the core idea, not to mention the wonderfully entertaining time trials, raises it easily to dwell alongside 2008's most worthy titles.

AspiringAndy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By AspiringAndy

Agreed, Agreed and Agreed.
Good job it was written really well !

TaintedSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50  Edited By TaintedSun

@ SusurrusKarma - Completely agree with the latter section of your comment. Well said.