Recommending an HDMI cable.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Jambones

I am going to pick up my first XBox or PS3 (hopefully) sometime in the next few weeks, and since it won't come with one in the box and I really won't have a lot to spend I was wondering if you guys could give me a few suggestions on brands for HDMI cables to connect to my LCD monitor. 
I am not a videophile, but I understand quality comes with a price; I'll need something that'll be within my budget, and still be fairly durable and good quality.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

Definitely go for a cheap one.  Monoprice, newegg or so.  Definitely don't pay more than $20, and you can probably get one for about $5.

As it's a digital cable, it'll either work or it won't.  The signal won't degrade at all over 6 or 10 feet.  You don't need expensive monster cables or other silly brands at ALL.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Andorski

Don't spend over $10 for an HDMI cable.  Those high price Monster cables that you find at Best Buy are a complete rip off.  Buy your cables at Monoprice.  Been buying from them for a couple of years now and they're great.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jambones
@Diamond: I hadn't considered the digital natural of HDMI. Too used to years of wiggling composite, standard definition cabling to get a better picture I guess.

@Andorski: I saw some of those in Best Buy, but I never buy anything there unless it's an emergency.

Thanks for the rapid responses! It's comforting to know I don't have to worry about that stuff.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#5  Edited By ninjakiller

No more than $10 where ever you buy it, anything higher is a ripoff.  There is no quality boost correlation in regards to price. 

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Jambones
@ninjakiller: Cheers. 

Any good local retailers (US) that I can wander in and pick on up? I'd prefer that over ordering for something small like a cable.
zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By zeforgotten

I've seen absolutely no difference at work when we use one of the cheap ones compared to the expensive one we have. 

tbone81889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By tbone81889

There is actually a difference in HDMI cables when comparing a generic brand to well known brand such as monster, but that difference is only noticeable when you are sending a signal over a dozen feet.  If you not requiring that long of a cable then a cheaper HDMI cable from either Walmart or Home Depot will be fine.  Do not however buy a cable from Best Buy.   They are not the best buy for the price.

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Diamond
@tbone81889 said:

There is actually a difference in HDMI cables when comparing a generic brand to well known brand such as monster, but that difference is only noticeable when you are sending a signal over a dozen feet.

The signal will degrade, but since HDMI is digital, the image quality will not degrade at all.  If it degrades too far and the signal can not be read by the display/audio device the image/audio will simply fail to display or cut in and out.

HDMI data packets have error correcting data, so artifacts are extremely EXTREMELY unlikely.  edit - actually looking it up it looks like the video component of HDMI alone doesn't have parity bits or error correction, to an extent it will be up to your display device to prevent this.  Still artifacts are much less likely than on analog where the slightest signal degradation does equal quality loss.

Sounds like if you get a lossy HDMI video signal the results will be extremely obvious, it would naturally result in pixels flashing all sorts of random colors (moving a few 1's to 0's or vice versa would often mean complete color changes or brightness changes as opposed to an analog cable where a slight frequency variation might make a pixel 1/8th less red or bright).
KennyPowers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KennyPowers

I suggest amazon.  Just find the cheapest one at the length you need.  You can also usually get bundles of 2 or 3 even cheaper.  

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By Warfare
@Jambones said:

" @ninjakiller: Cheers.   Any good local retailers (US) that I can wander in and pick on up? I'd prefer that over ordering for something small like a cable. "

Online is your best bet.
SirPsychoSexy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By SirPsychoSexy

Here you go:

http://www.amazon.com/FoliumCEI-Premium-Receiver-XBox360-Projector/dp/B000BR96YI

Quality has no effect with hdmi, a cheap one will work just as good as a $50 one. It either works or doesn't.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

CablesToGo is a good place to get cables as well.

Djeffers03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Djeffers03

it really doesn't matter, stores just try to rip you off by making you think there is a diffence in quality by charging high prices.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By TheHBK

MONOPRICE MONOPRICE 
MONOPRICE MONOPRICE
MONOPRICE MONOPRICE
MONOPRICE MONOPRICE
MONOPRICE MONOPRICE
MONOPRICE MONOPRICE
MONOPRICE MONOPRICE
Check them out, cheap prices and shipping is cheap too.  Cant go wrong with them, just get the length you need. 
So just because its a small thing to get, doesn't mean its not worth it to order online.  Its easy and they ship fast.
They even have different colors.

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By iam3green

i say buy them online. totoally not worth spending $60 on a HDMI cable. i went to walmart to get zombieland and they were sellling them for $60. i kind of want to know who are the people that are spending $60 on a HDMI.

shrig32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By shrig32

They're data cables- it's pretty hard to mess up 1's and 0's, so the cheaper the better =)

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@tbone81889 said:
" There is actually a difference in HDMI cables when comparing a generic brand to well known brand such as monster, but that difference is only noticeable when you are sending a signal over a dozen feet.  If you not requiring that long of a cable then a cheaper HDMI cable from either Walmart or Home Depot will be fine.  Do not however buy a cable from Best Buy.   They are not the best buy for the price. "
That's not entirely true.  HDMI can be routed via CAT5/6 Twisted Pair unpowered up to 30M and with power (signal boost) well over 200M.  I've done it personally.
tbone81889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tbone81889
@Diamond said:
" @tbone81889 said:

There is actually a difference in HDMI cables when comparing a generic brand to well known brand such as monster, but that difference is only noticeable when you are sending a signal over a dozen feet.

The signal will degrade, but since HDMI is digital, the image quality will not degrade at all.  If it degrades too far and the signal can not be read by the display/audio device the image/audio will simply fail to display or cut in and out.  HDMI data packets have error correcting data, so artifacts are extremely EXTREMELY unlikely.  edit - actually looking it up it looks like the video component of HDMI alone doesn't have parity bits or error correction, to an extent it will be up to your display device to prevent this.  Still artifacts are much less likely than on analog where the slightest signal degradation does equal quality loss.  Sounds like if you get a lossy HDMI video signal the results will be extremely obvious, it would naturally result in pixels flashing all sorts of random colors (moving a few 1's to 0's or vice versa would often mean complete color changes or brightness changes as opposed to an analog cable where a slight frequency variation might make a pixel 1/8th less red or bright). "
Wow, thats stuff is way over my head lol, but thanks for the info. 

@SeriouslyNow:  I have no clue about what you actually did.  Way more technical then me.
korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By korwin

Just a cheap ass one rated to 1.3a standards, all you need.  HDMI is a digital signal and requires no stupid ultra weave BS junk, provided you can get all the required bandwidth our of the thing its fine.  With digital signals there are only 3 types of picture you can get, Full signal, blocky distorted hiccup signal or no signal at all.

Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Jambones

Great responses. Thanks to everyone.

Pinkshley1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Pinkshley1

YES! Do not be fooled into paying high for one! I got mine on amazon for $2.50 and it works without fail, perfect picture and audio!

masternater27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By masternater27

If you come into the Best Buy I work at with an Oscar Mike shirt (or other giantbomb related clothing) I'll give you my employee discount.

shirogane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shirogane

Ah, HDMI cables, one of the biggest scams of modern technology. 

Funny that you ask about this, cause i just found that the computer store i usually buy my stuff from has HDMI cables for online prices, unlike those insane $50 prices in stores. 
Sadly, i'm in Australia, which i don't think you're in. But if anybody in Aus wants HDMI cables, google MSY.
Avatar image for suicidal_sniper
Suicidal_SNiper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Suicidal_SNiper

Heh, at our local supermarket there's a "special" PS3 HDMI cable that's 1 meter long for $60. Then right next to it there's the generic brand for 15$... I feel bad for anyone who got suckered into buying the PS3 branded one.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SeriouslyNow
@tbone81889: 

Well if you look at that link you'll see a wall mount which converts HDMI to standard Category 5/6 (blue/black) twisted pair LAN cable, the exact same cabling which you use to network PCs, modems and routers. The reason why you'd bother converting from HDMI to Cat5 or 6 LAN cabling is that LAN cable is much cheaper per length than HDMI and many people already have LAN cable running through their offices and houses. The difference between unpowered and powered limits are due to the fact that the HDMI networking standard can only transmit a clean signal up 30m or so so you need to boost that signal (which requires an external power source like a 12v plugpack) to enable the signal to be clean and steady for much longer distances up to 220m or so.