Posted by RecSpec (3799 posts) -

Because of my days at work switching around, I might start doing this on every Tuesday. I’ve been pretty busy as of late, but I hope to keep evolving this bunch of words I call a blog. Actually, I want to blow this up and start over, because that's what I do. Most of my “gaming” has been watching the Steam sales go by. And thank god that it’s finally over. I ended up spending about $110 on 20 games, and still haven’t touched most of them. I did finally catch up to the other games I bought a couple weeks back. I finished Rhythm Thief, got my heart broken by Digital: A Love Story, and made some hard choices in The Walking Dead. I also played a bit of Dyad and Persona 3, better late than never right?

Rhythm Thief and the Emperor’s Treasure

A lot of the stuff I said about the gameplay still holds up. There are some weird things about some of the minigames. One game late in the game held me up for awhile. I’m not sure why, but I just couldn’t nail the rhythm on it. Even buying items to help survive didn’t help. You want to know how I finally beat it? I turned the sound off and played it by sight. Not the best way to beat a song, but hey, it worked. Rhythm Heaven had practice before each minigame, and while that would kill the pace of a game like this, it would have been nice for something.

The game did get pretty interesting near the end. The story finally turned into something exciting, with betrayals and unlikely friendships and people getting shot! The whole time I was playing this game I kept comparing it to the Layton series, but the gunshot moment was a real shocking moment. Did not see it coming at all.

If you’re a fan of Layton/Phoenix Wright’s stories, then you’ll enjoy this one. If you can forgive the fact that the game ends on a huge cliffhanger. There are an additional three bonus chapters after you finish the game, but they don’t address the major issues at the end. They are clearly setting up for a sequel, which is a huge bummer.

Now that I think about it, this is a game that has no business existing. Rhythm game + adventure game shouldn’t work, but it’s not bad. It’s actually pretty average. I want to recommend it, but there's so much wrong with it, a rental is probably your best bet.

Digital: A Love Story

I bought Analogue: A Hate Story on steam during the sale, I was keeping an eye on it for awhile but never picked it up until recently. I know this wasn’t Christine Love’s first game, so I looked for some of her other stuff, and was surprised when Digital came up. Always heard that this was a good game, but somehow never played it. Making me one of the last 12 people to play this game.

This game is brutal. Of course I’m saying this as someone who has attempted an internet relationship before. The game simulates that eerily. Yeah, the person I was talking to didn’t exist, but it was so similar. When the message system crashes I instantly had flashbacks to those moments where I didn’t hear from her for awhile and time seemed to stop. It’s very well done, and you care about these characters in the game who are only a name on a screen.

The music is one of the main reasons I got so attached to the story, the chiptunes picked went well with each moment, from the calm serene music when you’re chatting with Emilia, to the music that plays when your system gets corrupted, a tense piece that screams panic.

The game had neat mechanics, dialing numbers for BBS services was neat, and using codes to make long distance calls is pretty cool. There are a bit of puzzles scattered around, and solving them made me feel accomplished. It’s a lot of typing, clicking, replying to messages, and reading. As close to a text adventure as I ever played, and I loved it. The main attraction is the story, one of the best I have played in awhile. This game is free and can be played on most computers, highly recommended.

The Walking Dead: Episode 1

I know nothing about the Walking Dead except that it has zombies, and people spent a lot of time on a farm for some reason. As far as Telltale games go, I have a lot of them but never can finish any. There was enough positive buzz that I picked up The Walking Dead off PSN instead of Kenka Bancho, and I’m glad I did.

The dialogue system is cool, I tried to play it straight most of the time, but I could easily see myself replaying this a different way. The characters introduced are all great except for one or two. Your character is a great choice for a game like this where the world is falling apart, you know that you’ve done bad things, and it’s only a matter of time before you run across someone that recognizes you.

All of that aside, the choices and tense moments are fantastic! The first choice completely caught me off guard, and it was hard to pick. I felt miserable afterwards. After you finish it, the game shows stats from other players, saying how many picked which major choice. Except for one, they were almost split right down the middle, which shows just how tough these choices were.

I know it’s a point and click adventure, but some of the searching and clicking got tiresome. There were a couple points where I was completely stuck so I just kept circling the drug store hoping to find something new. A minor complaint, since I still finished the chapter in a few hours.

The continuity is the best part about the game, so I’m kinda worried about jumping into chapter 2 (issues with choices carrying over). I want to play this game with the choices I made, if I can’t do that, I don’t want to play this. Everyone says that part wait is better than the first one, so I can’t wait to play it.

Side Bets

Dyad seems pretty cool so far, not necessarily hooked, but I had fun with what I played. I only finished the first set of levels, so I have a way to go. The racing through the tunnel is pretty neat, and linking pairs while lancing is fun. Not a fan of the checkpoints though, but this is more of a racing game, so it makes sense.

I also started playing Persona 3 on my Vita, I haven’t finished a JRPG since Digital Devil Saga back in 2006, so maybe this one will break the streak? Only a couple hours into it, so I can’t really say too much about it. The relationship system is pretty interesting though.

Future Bets 

This week will be all about Steam games. Going to start going through everything I’ve bought over the last two weeks. I also recieved Max Payne 3 from Gamefly, so I may put some time in that. Of course there will be some Theatrhythm thrown in there for good measure. Who says there’s nothing to play in the Summer? As always, thanks for reading and for more of my nonsense you can follow me on twitter. See you next week!
#1 Posted by RecSpec (3799 posts) -

Because of my days at work switching around, I might start doing this on every Tuesday. I’ve been pretty busy as of late, but I hope to keep evolving this bunch of words I call a blog. Actually, I want to blow this up and start over, because that's what I do. Most of my “gaming” has been watching the Steam sales go by. And thank god that it’s finally over. I ended up spending about $110 on 20 games, and still haven’t touched most of them. I did finally catch up to the other games I bought a couple weeks back. I finished Rhythm Thief, got my heart broken by Digital: A Love Story, and made some hard choices in The Walking Dead. I also played a bit of Dyad and Persona 3, better late than never right?

Rhythm Thief and the Emperor’s Treasure

A lot of the stuff I said about the gameplay still holds up. There are some weird things about some of the minigames. One game late in the game held me up for awhile. I’m not sure why, but I just couldn’t nail the rhythm on it. Even buying items to help survive didn’t help. You want to know how I finally beat it? I turned the sound off and played it by sight. Not the best way to beat a song, but hey, it worked. Rhythm Heaven had practice before each minigame, and while that would kill the pace of a game like this, it would have been nice for something.

The game did get pretty interesting near the end. The story finally turned into something exciting, with betrayals and unlikely friendships and people getting shot! The whole time I was playing this game I kept comparing it to the Layton series, but the gunshot moment was a real shocking moment. Did not see it coming at all.

If you’re a fan of Layton/Phoenix Wright’s stories, then you’ll enjoy this one. If you can forgive the fact that the game ends on a huge cliffhanger. There are an additional three bonus chapters after you finish the game, but they don’t address the major issues at the end. They are clearly setting up for a sequel, which is a huge bummer.

Now that I think about it, this is a game that has no business existing. Rhythm game + adventure game shouldn’t work, but it’s not bad. It’s actually pretty average. I want to recommend it, but there's so much wrong with it, a rental is probably your best bet.

Digital: A Love Story

I bought Analogue: A Hate Story on steam during the sale, I was keeping an eye on it for awhile but never picked it up until recently. I know this wasn’t Christine Love’s first game, so I looked for some of her other stuff, and was surprised when Digital came up. Always heard that this was a good game, but somehow never played it. Making me one of the last 12 people to play this game.

This game is brutal. Of course I’m saying this as someone who has attempted an internet relationship before. The game simulates that eerily. Yeah, the person I was talking to didn’t exist, but it was so similar. When the message system crashes I instantly had flashbacks to those moments where I didn’t hear from her for awhile and time seemed to stop. It’s very well done, and you care about these characters in the game who are only a name on a screen.

The music is one of the main reasons I got so attached to the story, the chiptunes picked went well with each moment, from the calm serene music when you’re chatting with Emilia, to the music that plays when your system gets corrupted, a tense piece that screams panic.

The game had neat mechanics, dialing numbers for BBS services was neat, and using codes to make long distance calls is pretty cool. There are a bit of puzzles scattered around, and solving them made me feel accomplished. It’s a lot of typing, clicking, replying to messages, and reading. As close to a text adventure as I ever played, and I loved it. The main attraction is the story, one of the best I have played in awhile. This game is free and can be played on most computers, highly recommended.

The Walking Dead: Episode 1

I know nothing about the Walking Dead except that it has zombies, and people spent a lot of time on a farm for some reason. As far as Telltale games go, I have a lot of them but never can finish any. There was enough positive buzz that I picked up The Walking Dead off PSN instead of Kenka Bancho, and I’m glad I did.

The dialogue system is cool, I tried to play it straight most of the time, but I could easily see myself replaying this a different way. The characters introduced are all great except for one or two. Your character is a great choice for a game like this where the world is falling apart, you know that you’ve done bad things, and it’s only a matter of time before you run across someone that recognizes you.

All of that aside, the choices and tense moments are fantastic! The first choice completely caught me off guard, and it was hard to pick. I felt miserable afterwards. After you finish it, the game shows stats from other players, saying how many picked which major choice. Except for one, they were almost split right down the middle, which shows just how tough these choices were.

I know it’s a point and click adventure, but some of the searching and clicking got tiresome. There were a couple points where I was completely stuck so I just kept circling the drug store hoping to find something new. A minor complaint, since I still finished the chapter in a few hours.

The continuity is the best part about the game, so I’m kinda worried about jumping into chapter 2 (issues with choices carrying over). I want to play this game with the choices I made, if I can’t do that, I don’t want to play this. Everyone says that part wait is better than the first one, so I can’t wait to play it.

Side Bets

Dyad seems pretty cool so far, not necessarily hooked, but I had fun with what I played. I only finished the first set of levels, so I have a way to go. The racing through the tunnel is pretty neat, and linking pairs while lancing is fun. Not a fan of the checkpoints though, but this is more of a racing game, so it makes sense.

I also started playing Persona 3 on my Vita, I haven’t finished a JRPG since Digital Devil Saga back in 2006, so maybe this one will break the streak? Only a couple hours into it, so I can’t really say too much about it. The relationship system is pretty interesting though.

Future Bets 

This week will be all about Steam games. Going to start going through everything I’ve bought over the last two weeks. I also recieved Max Payne 3 from Gamefly, so I may put some time in that. Of course there will be some Theatrhythm thrown in there for good measure. Who says there’s nothing to play in the Summer? As always, thanks for reading and for more of my nonsense you can follow me on twitter. See you next week!