#1 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

First let me discuss the movie Red Dawn and the remake.

I am not sure how many of you saw Red Dawn, after all, it is a pretty old film from 1984. I haven't seen it in a long time, but I am a fan of 80s movies. Red Dawn however as I remember it, was bad. However, it was bad enough to be good in that odd way. It was sheer American nonsense, the sort of Americanism we as outsiders laugh at. The whole gung-ho patriotism is silly. Still, it had Patrick Swayze ...... oh wait, I hate that guy, I am still trying to erase Dirty Dancing from my memory. It did have Charlie Sheen, C. Thomas Howell, Lea Thompson and Jennifer Grey in it, so that is an improvement. Best of all, it had to super awesome Harry Dean Stanton.

I paid attention to this movie now, because it is on television next week and I decided to try it out again and see how bad and funny it is. I also thought about what kind of video game it would make, so I decided to write this thread. Then I noticed it had been remade and was being released this year ..... sorry to those who are thinking "well duh, where have you been?" I haven't paid any attention to this, but now I am. That little research led me to the premise of the new film.

Instead o the Soviets and Latin America invading, this time we have the Chinese. I thought, well, that makes sense. China is a superpower, has a masive army and controls most of the US debt. So I thought. Then I read on and it said that they spent an extra million dollars changing the movie to North Korea invading. Apparently, they don't want to offend the Chinese and damage potential box office sales. Seriously? The North Koreans?

Come on people, North Korea couldn't even invade South Korea, let alone America. What a ridiculous premise. Sure, they have a large army, but they are all starving and ill equipped. How the hell do you get enough North Koreans to the USA to invade anyway? The USA would sink any ship and destroy any aeroplane before they left their bases. This is sounding beyond dumber by the second.

Enough of the actual movies. Wat about games? The original movie could make a great game, but with the remake, do we want a Red Dawn game?

In a way, we already have, a few times over. For a start, we have the recent Homefront. It was written by the same writer of the original movie and does have the North Koreans invading. I believe it was a very average game - I don't know much about it. Then we have Freedom Fighters, the 2003 game with the Soviets invading New York, which borrows very heavily from the movie.

Lastly, we have the game World in Conflict, the only one of these I own and have played. This was an excellent game in my view. I remember when I first played it thinking that I really wanted to play as the Soviets and destroy the Americans. My apologies to the Americans, but for some reason I have some deep seated pyscholoigal desire to conquer the USA. No idea where it comes from. Every time I play Civilisation, I never play as the USA and it is always the first country I conquer ...... what the hell is wrong with me? Anyway, back to World in Conflict. How happy was I when they released the expansion pack Soviet Assault, so I could live out my dream and conquer America,

But now we have a new Red Dawn being released, do we want a game that is faithful to the movie? Perhaps they should do this instead,

Musical games are all the rage right now right? I see a Kinect game here.

Perhaps this theme has been milked a fair bit already, but would you want a game of Red Dawn, not a game that borrows the themes, an actual game of Red Dawn? Would you want the original movie as the basis or the new one? What game style would you want - FPS, squad shooter? I myself wouldn't mind a Gears of War style game based on the first movie. I think it could be fun. What about you?

#2 Posted by Brodehouse (9770 posts) -

Fuckin A dude.  That's what Homefront should have been.  More Lea Thompson please.

#3 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Fuckin A dude. That's what Homefront should have been. More Lea Thompson please.

A digital version of her young would be awesome, but not of her now .... might ruin the fantasy.

#4 Posted by Brodehouse (9770 posts) -
@Contrarian: I'll take my Lea Thompson however I can get it; young, old, digital. 
 
Them older ladies; they know what they want, and they don't mess around.
#5 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

Freedom Fighters 2 needs to happen, fuck hitman, fuck Kane and Lynch, give me my fucking Freedom Fighters 2 and I will kiss the ground the game company walks on!

#6 Posted by joey (983 posts) -

They should have unlockable Russian mode.

#7 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@joey said:

They should have unlockable Russian mode.

I would much rather the Russians (or better still fight as them) or the Chinese, but the North Koreans? ...... bah, I may as well just fight New Zealand.

@Jay444111 said:

Freedom Fighters 2 needs to happen, fuck hitman, fuck Kane and Lynch, give me my fucking Freedom Fighters 2 and I will kiss the ground the game company walks on!

Was Freedom Fighters any good?

#8 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Contrarian said:

@Jay444111 said:

Freedom Fighters 2 needs to happen, fuck hitman, fuck Kane and Lynch, give me my fucking Freedom Fighters 2 and I will kiss the ground the game company walks on!

Was Freedom Fighters any good?

Fuck yeah! Sure, it isn't as awesome as it was when it came out. But it is what Homefront SHOULD have been. Fucking awesome.

Also, it was composed by Jesper Kyd and the story was AWESOME. Let me give you an example of Jespers work in this game!

Completely fucking awesome!

#9 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Jay444111 said:

@Contrarian said:

@Jay444111 said:

Freedom Fighters 2 needs to happen, fuck hitman, fuck Kane and Lynch, give me my fucking Freedom Fighters 2 and I will kiss the ground the game company walks on!

Was Freedom Fighters any good?

Fuck yeah! Sure, it isn't as awesome as it was when it came out. But it is what Homefront SHOULD have been. Fucking awesome.

Also, it was composed by Jesper Kyd and the story was AWESOME. Let me give you an example of Jespers work in this game!

Completely fucking awesome!

Completely fucking awesome indeed .... I love it.

#10 Posted by Dagbiker (6957 posts) -

Freedom Fighters story sucked, they should just reboot it, have it play almost exactly the same with regenerating health, better aiming, and better story.

#11 Posted by Hailinel (24270 posts) -

Red Dawn is really only enjoyable in an ironic context at this point. And after Homefront, I'm not sure we need another "OH NOES, THE REDS ARE INVADING AMERICA! GO USA!" game.

#12 Edited by believer258 (11773 posts) -

How about we make a game where America is still under the guise of being a democracy but is actually just a dictatorship with a council (Congress) and has begun to take over several different countries successfully. First Mexico and Canada, then some other surrounding countries, and maybe some across the ocean. And let's say that instead of heavily taxing its own people to fund these wars, it just taxes and takes whatever it wants from the areas it has conquered. These countries begin to revolt, and you have to control several different members of different militias in these different counties and fight back, culminating in a gathering of these militias into a single guerrilla army that takes its lands back.

Of course this happens some time in the future and starts in slums with soldiers just having their way, and culminates in a massive battle in a futuristic American city (New York, LA, San Francisco, etc.) that looks something like Coruscant. Hovercars, massive buildings, etc.

Just a suggestion. And no, I am not anti-American (I am American!), I just find this far more plausible than North fucking Korea or Russia or whoever invading America.

EDIT: Forgot to say I wouldn't really want a game of Red Dawn. It's pretty much already been made in the form of Homefront. In fact, that's pretty much what Homefront is. I'd like to play Homefront at some point (when it's around ten dollars or so), but I don't think that premise needs to be beaten to death. Again. It's pretty much what Krillin would be if Krillin were a premise.

#13 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

China couldn't conquer America. They have more foot soldiers, but America has more air & naval units, and a bigger nuclear arsenal. But at least it's better than North Korea. Also, in games and movies i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE seeing United States getting destroyed(That doesn't happen so often...). Weird, 'cause i think USA is a pretty cool country.
And i want a Red Dawn game... Of the 80's version. It would make a fun squad shooter, and they could go all-out "THIS IS 'MERICA, YA COMMIES!", so it would be fun.

#14 Posted by Jay444111 (2441 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

Freedom Fighters story sucked, they should just reboot it, have it play almost exactly the same with regenerating health, better aiming, and better story.

You know NOTHING of story or of Freedom Fighters! or of quality story for that matter.

#15 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@believer258 said:

How about we make a game where America is still under the guise of being a democracy but is actually just a dictatorship with a council (Congress) and has begun to take over several different countries successfully. First Mexico and Canada, then some other surrounding countries, and maybe some across the ocean. And let's say that instead of heavily taxing its own people to fund these wars, it just taxes and takes whatever it wants from the areas it has conquered. These countries begin to revolt, and you have to control several different members of different militias in these different counties and fight back, culminating in a gathering of these militias into a single guerrilla army that takes its lands back.

Of course this happens some time in the future and starts in slums with soldiers just having their way, and culminates in a massive battle in a futuristic American city (New York, LA, San Francisco, etc.) that looks something like Coruscant. Hovercars, massive buildings, etc.

Just a suggestion. And no, I am not anti-American (I am American!), I just find this far more plausible than North fucking Korea or Russia or whoever invading America.

EDIT: Forgot to say I wouldn't really want a game of Red Dawn. It's pretty much already been made in the form of Homefront. In fact, that's pretty much what Homefront is. I'd like to play Homefront at some point (when it's around ten dollars or so), but I don't think that premise needs to be beaten to death. Again. It's pretty much what Krillin would be if Krillin were a premise.

I could play that .... sounds good. I hink the idea of America being invaded is as crazy as all hell. It just couldn't happen and the idea of it being North Korea is flat out stupid to me. The game you describe would make a really good RTS on PC and I would certainly play it.

@MikeGosot said:

China couldn't conquer America. They have more foot soldiers, but America has more air & naval units, and a bigger nuclear arsenal. But at least it's better than North Korea. Also, in games and movies i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE seeing United States getting destroyed(That doesn't happen so often...). Weird, 'cause i think USA is a pretty cool country. And i want a Red Dawn game... Of the 80's version. It would make a fun squad shooter, and they could go all-out "THIS IS 'MERICA, YA COMMIES!", so it would be fun.

Nobody could conquer America. They wouldn't risk being destroyed by all the nuclear weapons for a start. Plus, they actually have to get the soldiers there and no-one has the air/naval power to get them there. It would be a slaughter. China would rather conquer America by just buying their sorry economic arses.

A cheesy squad based shooter is what I had in my mind as a fun version of the original movie.

#16 Posted by Claude (16254 posts) -

I watched Red Dawn in the 80's. It was a family favorite and we took it very seriously. Living in the cold war and all. And Dirty Dancing was a cool movie. I bet you didn't like Ghost either.

#17 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@Contrarian said:

@MikeGosot said:

China couldn't conquer America. They have more foot soldiers, but America has more air & naval units, and a bigger nuclear arsenal. But at least it's better than North Korea. Also, in games and movies i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE seeing United States getting destroyed(That doesn't happen so often...). Weird, 'cause i think USA is a pretty cool country. And i want a Red Dawn game... Of the 80's version. It would make a fun squad shooter, and they could go all-out "THIS IS 'MERICA, YA COMMIES!", so it would be fun.

Nobody could conquer America. They wouldn't risk being destroyed by all the nuclear weapons for a start. Plus, they actually have to get the soldiers there and no-one has the air/naval power to get them there. It would be a slaughter. China would rather conquer America by just buying their sorry economic arses.

A cheesy squad based shooter is what I had in my mind as a fun version of the original movie.

Not alone at least. TAN-DAN-DAAAAAAAAAAAAAN.
But yeah, cheesy is the way to go. Russia is not a believable enemy anymore, but trying to make any country a believable threat for USA is a hard thing to take seriously. So, yeah, make everything super dumb and charming. I want to be able to increase the moral(Called "Americation" of my characters by eating hamburgers, shouting "FREEDOM!" in a fight, and placing the 'American' flag everywhere. I want them to have names like "John McAwesome" and "Lisa Texas" and maybe "Sam Abe Washington". It would be fun.
#18 Posted by spartanlolz92 (511 posts) -

@Contrarian said:

@believer258 said:

How about we make a game where America is still under the guise of being a democracy but is actually just a dictatorship with a council (Congress) and has begun to take over several different countries successfully. First Mexico and Canada, then some other surrounding countries, and maybe some across the ocean. And let's say that instead of heavily taxing its own people to fund these wars, it just taxes and takes whatever it wants from the areas it has conquered. These countries begin to revolt, and you have to control several different members of different militias in these different counties and fight back, culminating in a gathering of these militias into a single guerrilla army that takes its lands back.

Of course this happens some time in the future and starts in slums with soldiers just having their way, and culminates in a massive battle in a futuristic American city (New York, LA, San Francisco, etc.) that looks something like Coruscant. Hovercars, massive buildings, etc.

Just a suggestion. And no, I am not anti-American (I am American!), I just find this far more plausible than North fucking Korea or Russia or whoever invading America.

EDIT: Forgot to say I wouldn't really want a game of Red Dawn. It's pretty much already been made in the form of Homefront. In fact, that's pretty much what Homefront is. I'd like to play Homefront at some point (when it's around ten dollars or so), but I don't think that premise needs to be beaten to death. Again. It's pretty much what Krillin would be if Krillin were a premise.

I could play that .... sounds good. I hink the idea of America being invaded is as crazy as all hell. It just couldn't happen and the idea of it being North Korea is flat out stupid to me. The game you describe would make a really good RTS on PC and I would certainly play it.

@MikeGosot said:

China couldn't conquer America. They have more foot soldiers, but America has more air & naval units, and a bigger nuclear arsenal. But at least it's better than North Korea. Also, in games and movies i LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE seeing United States getting destroyed(That doesn't happen so often...). Weird, 'cause i think USA is a pretty cool country. And i want a Red Dawn game... Of the 80's version. It would make a fun squad shooter, and they could go all-out "THIS IS 'MERICA, YA COMMIES!", so it would be fun.

Nobody could conquer America. They wouldn't risk being destroyed by all the nuclear weapons for a start. Plus, they actually have to get the soldiers there and no-one has the air/naval power to get them there. It would be a slaughter. China would rather conquer America by just buying their sorry economic arses.

A cheesy squad based shooter is what I had in my mind as a fun version of the original movie.

lol thats exactly what freedom fighters is!! it needs a sequel badly

#19 Posted by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -
@spartanlolz92: I've played like... ten minutes of Freedom Fighters. There was a building falling and i never forgot that scene. But i thought the controls were a little... Meh, so i just stopped.
#20 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Fuck you Patrick Swayze is awesome.

#21 Posted by Contrarian (1143 posts) -

@Claude said:

I watched Red Dawn in the 80's. It was a family favorite and we took it very seriously. Living in the cold war and all. And Dirty Dancing was a cool movie. I bet you didn't like Ghost either.

Dirty Dancing was just soooooo bad, but not bad in a good way. I hated every single frame of it. As for Ghost, I didn't hate it. I didn't like it either.

@coakroach said:

Fuck you Patrick Swayze is awesome.

No, fuck you (jk) .... Patrick Swayze was a star wayyyyyy beyond his ability. I can't hink of a film he didn't irritate the living crap out of me .......

Red Dawn, Dirty Dancing. Ghost, Roadhouse, Point Break ..... aarrrghhh, that was even worse than Dirty Dancing, To Wong Foo Thanks For Everything Julie Newmar, Father Hood .......... okay, I will give him credit for Donnie Darko in a thankfull small part.

I could never understand his populaity at his peak. B Grade actor on a good day. Still. it was a real shame he ws cut short by pancreatic cancer, no-one deserves that.

Still, a game of the original movie would not be complete without his digital likeness and maybe his brother Don Swayze could do the voice, he is still kicking around.

#22 Edited by eddiegarcia345 (2 posts) -

Salutations, I'm eddie garcia Recently moved from Iowa, originally from Denver and grew up there.

I cherish my family,I love all 4 seasons , specially the spring and the life it brings.

Business has been a part of my life for the last 5 years and most recently primarily on the Web.

I love to learn new things.

With the economy as tough as it is right now, more and more people are seeking help from people who have walked the walk and can teach others how to benefit from their experience. I am here to help those that need help and will ask for help from other people when i need it.

I am a technician in the field of Engineering and Scientific time management software.

I am sharing my favorite sites , <a href="http://dealerlicenseconsulting.com">auto dealers license</a> <a href="http://dealerlicenseconsulting.com">how to get a dealers license</a> <a href="http://dealerlicenseconsulting.com">car dealers license</a>

Learning about new things is one of my passions.

I volunteer for valid causes that help the environment.

Glad to be a part of this site and look forward to meeting you online here.

#23 Posted by eddiegarcia345 (2 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Fuckin A dude. That's what Homefront should have been. More Lea Thompson please.

[url=http://dealerlicenseconsulting.com]auto dealers license[/url] - [url=http://dealerlicenseconsulting.com]how to get a dealers license[/url] - [url=http://dealerlicenseconsulting.com]car dealers license[/url]

#24 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

@Contrarian: NO. FUCK YOU AND YOUR INFORMED AND RATIONAL OPINION.

Swayze was Jim Cunningham in Donnie Darko so that makes him awesome.

Also he's got them crazy Swayze eyes.

#25 Posted by PeasantAbuse (5138 posts) -

I non-ironically love Red Dawn.

#26 Edited by NTM (7319 posts) -

No, I mean, of course a game would be cool if it was made well, but I don't care about it, I'd rather see the sequel to Freedom Fighters. We're getting a sequel to Homefront from the last I've heard and it's going to be made by Crytek, which sounds great. You know? I could never get through World in Conflict. I guess I just didn't like it enough, which is somewhat ironic for a few reasons. Red Dawn wasn't a great film. By the way, yes, Freedom Fighters was, and still is a fantastic game, but by now, the controls are a little dated (in a way). It's probably best if played on PC. If you download the demo, just know the voice of Chris Stone isn't what's in the actual game. Freedom Fighters is one of the top games I've ever played where long after you're done playing it, it'll stick with you. The music's fantastic, the story is pretty great, or at least great enough for what it is, and the game play is fantastic. There's a lot to love. Oh! And I think it features one of my favorite atmosphere's of any game set in New York.

#27 Posted by Makoto_Mizuhara_Sakamoto (592 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Fuckin A dude. That's what Homefront should have been. More Lea Thompson please.

This.