Red Dead Redemption or Super Mario Galaxy 2?

• 110 results
Somadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Somadude

Hey there, I was thinking about picking up a game next week and was wondering. 

Which one, RDR or SMG2? 

So far I know that, RDR has some bugs and freezes on occasion on the Ps3( the system I would buy it for.) 
And I haven't heard anything negative ( so far) about SMG2, also it's only $50.
Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#2  Edited By Meowayne

Both. They represent the best available for two very different gaming moods. 

However, I have to recommend Super Mario Galaxy 2, of course, because it will remind you that there is more to videogames than being badass and bad attempts and recreating mediocre action movies. 

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#3  Edited By Icemael

Super Mario Galaxy 2. The first one reminded me of why I started playing video games; pure, unadulterated "spelmagi", as we say in Sweden (I don't believe there's a good corresponding English expression, but the direct translation would be "game magic") and the critics are saying 2 is even better.

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Which games has guns?

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Jimbo

Are you six?  Also, which games has guns?

Fallen189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Fallen189

Galaxy

Blueman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Blueman

If you can only have one, Galaxy 2. Red Dead is amazing but Galaxy is something else.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Meowayne
@Jimbo said:
" Are you six?  Also, which games has guns? "
SMG2 will destroy six-year-olds. Game is hard.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#9  Edited By Ineedaname

Currently playing RDR, I'm a little underwhelmed, for various reasons, I say SMG2

Rhaknar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rhaknar

not having played either, I would say...RDR. but Galaxy 2 looks amazing. fuck... get more money >_>

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Meowayne

I'll give you $1 via paypal if you choose SMG2. :D

trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By trophyhunter

I'd say red dead because it's actually the first rockstar game I've enjoyed playing.
and that's a huge step up for me because I think GTA 4 is an awful shitty game.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By The_Laughing_Man

RDR

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14  Edited By zanzibarbreeze

Red Dead Redemption, very easily.

Somadude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#15  Edited By Somadude
@Jimbo:
A game doesn't need guns to be great. Though in some cases guns aren't a bad idea.
Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 18

#16  Edited By Claude

I'm a big Wii fan and bought Red Dead Redemption, because I couldn't afford both. I just thought it would last longer, plus, I only got 87 stars in 30 hours of play in the first Super Mario Galaxy before I quit and traded in the game.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Meowayne
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" Red Dead Redemption, very easily. "
Explain. The gaming press is suffering from a fit of multiple orgasms over SMG2 at the moment, even though two out of three reviews begin with "I will be honest: I expected "just" an expansion of smg, BUT..." 

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#18  Edited By Brunchies

I'm getting SMG2 and I haven't played RDR but I would chose SMG2.

Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Jasonofindy

I would answer with a RESOUNDING both.  However, I would suggest buying SMG2 first if you only pick up one even if you think you may have a slight RDR preference.  SMG2 has various release day sales that will make it cheaper than it will be for a VERY long time.  I think that SMG 1 still technically retails for full price and still brings $25-35 used.  RDR had some good prerelease sales which are mostly over, but if it is like most Rockstar games they will overprint the shit out of it so with future sales and used prices it will drop more rapidly then SMG2.  

If you do decide to pick up RDR, Amazon has it on sale right now for $49.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Meowayne said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze said:
Explain. The gaming press is suffering from a fit of multiple orgasms over SMG2 at the moment, even though two out of three reviews begin with "I will be honest: I expected "just" an expansion of smg, BUT..."    "

Red Dead Redemption will be a realistic game of the year contender for many people because it's unique and it's a fantastic game, well built, solid, expansive, and long; Super Mario Galaxy 2, although undoubtedly being a good game, cannot stand up to this. I would be surprised if somebody called SMG2 game of the year, while I would not be for the converse.
Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By Gabriel

RDR appeals more to me

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#22  Edited By JonathanMoore

Galaxy.

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dalai
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @Meowayne said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze said:
Explain. The gaming press is suffering from a fit of multiple orgasms over SMG2 at the moment, even though two out of three reviews begin with "I will be honest: I expected "just" an expansion of smg, BUT..."    "
Red Dead Redemption will be a realistic game of the year contender for many people because it's unique and it's a fantastic game, well built, solid, expansive, and long; Super Mario Galaxy 2, although undoubtedly being a good game, cannot stand up to this. I would be surprised if somebody called SMG2 game of the year, while I would not be for the converse. "
Prepared to be surprised by the end of the year. I think both games are gonna make a lot of GOTY lists and undoubtedly both will also win a lot of awards. 

I'm on the Galaxy bandwagon like I was when the first came out and from what I've read in reviews, I'll be loving this sequel.
yani

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By yani

I'd go RDR as that has a multiplayer component that will fade in popularity in time whereas SMG2 isn't ever gonna change.

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#25  Edited By Icemael
@ZanzibarBreeze said:

" @Meowayne said:

" @ZanzibarBreeze said:
Red Dead Redemption will be a realistic game of the year contender for many people because it's unique and it's a fantastic game, well built, solid, expansive, and long; Super Mario Galaxy 2, although undoubtedly being a good game, cannot stand up to this. I would be surprised if somebody called SMG2 game of the year, while I would not be for the converse. "
Red Dead Redemption has a Metacritic average of 95. Super Mario Galaxy 2 has a Metacritic average of 97. Now, let's look at some review quotes:

Edge: "Marvel at the pieces, but appreciate the whole. This isn’t a game that redefines the genre: this is one that rolls it up and locks it away. We’ve come so far, from stepping on mushrooms to drop-kicking meteors into the heart of the sun; Galaxy 2 offers a new understanding of where we’ve been, a new sense of wonder at where we’ll go next."

1up: "Everything from the sweeping orchestral score (which even includes new arrangements of classic tunes thrown in simply to tickle the nostalgia of long-time fans) to the ingenious layout of traps, puzzles and platforming speaks to a level of craftsmanship that only comes from years of refinement and reinvention."

The Escapist: " It's huge, brilliant, and gorgeous. It's why you started playing videogames in the first place."

Gametrailers: "There is more creativity in some single stages in this game than in entire other games. It's a bit familiar, but all the fat has been cut away to expose a pure gaming core. There's something for just about everyone and games that we can truly recommend to almost everyone are rare."

I don't know about you, but that sounds like a very realistic Game of the Year contender to me.
Quacktastic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Quacktastic

Pre-order SMG2 from Amazon and you get a $20 gift card.  Then if you have some extra money, take that and buy RDR.  Both games for $90.

zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Icemael: I guess we'll see. Again, I've got no problem with Super Mario Galaxy 2. SMG won its share of GOTY awards, but Bioshock/Modern Warfare overwhelmed. It might be a contender, but it's just as much a contender as Fanta is for best soda; that is, it's the first to be eliminated from the list. Red Dead Redemption will overtake, because I think it has a great deal more longevity.
FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By FacelessVixen

Red Dead. It appeals to me more and Mario these days.

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#29  Edited By Willy105

VERY tough choice.

The only good way to decide is by price. RDR will drop in price, SMG2 (or any Nintendo game) will not.

Reviews say Mario Galaxy 2 is the better game, but that's opinion. Do what you want. If the glitches are too much for you, get Galaxy. If you fear about your reputation from your friends if playing a game like Mario is too much, then get RDR.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Meowayne

I wholeheartedly believe all the people who say that at this point in time, RDR appeals to them more.

At the same time, I wholeheartedly believe that if they actually played SMG2, they'd be shining balls of glee.

Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#31  Edited By Siphillis
@ThePhantomnaut said:
" Which games has guns? "
Both, actually.  Only one fires bullets, and the other stars.
itsmadness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#32  Edited By itsmadness

I'd suggest getting SMG2. It looks amazing. I've only just recently remembered how amazing the first one was, and we're getting another in a couple days?? Couldn't be more excited for it.

sopranosfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By sopranosfan

Both and stop acting like only 5 year olds play Mario.  But honestly I am looking forward more to RDR.

btman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By btman

RDR.

Avatar image for superfluousmoniker
SuperfluousMoniker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I preordained Galaxy for the Amazon credit. I'm gonna rent Red Dead. I read the review and saw the QL, and it seems like a pretty serious game. I will miss the radio, TV and Internet stuff from GTA4. Basically, with GTA the gameplay was sorta bad but there was a lot to see and do and funny shit all over the place. Without the funny shit...

@Meowayne:

I play games with a six year old kid sometimes... He was playing Galaxy 1 pretty well actually, but Mario Sunshine murdered him. But that game has kinda slippery controls.
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Siphillis
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @Meowayne said:
" @ZanzibarBreeze said:
Before I begin, I'd like to clearly state my stance: Galaxy 2 has an equally good chance at Game of the Year as RDR, and any other game.  I don't wish to compare these two quite polarizing games, but I did find your argument a bit unfair.  

For one, Red Dead Redemption being "unique," "fantastic," "well-built," "expansive," and "long," are all adjectives that could easily be attributed, if not better exemplified, by Super Mario Galaxy 2.   Let's go down the list.

Unique:  How could you not consider Super Mario Galaxy 2 unique?  How many platformers handle, look, or feel like Galaxy?  You could argue that its similarity to the original removies some of its "originality," but RDR is also a sequel to, well, RDR.

Fantastic: a subjective term, but we can assume that both are fantastic.

Well-built: Nintendo are legendary for programming utterly spotless, bug-free games that run exceptionally well.  Galaxy 2's apparent simplicity, like all good programming, is an illusion created by extremely complex coding.  Also, reports of the PS3 version of RDR being inferior are beginning to surface, too.

Expansive: Here's where both games really show their differences, particularly because RDR is a sandbox game, which are by definition expansive.  But purely as a platformer, Galaxy 2 spans 120+ challenges across over 3 dozen levels lasting for dozens of hours.  This feat is even more impressive, considering it does not rely on an open-world to pad out lasting value.  If expansiveness is your thing, I highly recommend Just Cause 2. 

Long: Similar to what was stated before.  Galaxy 2 is a varied, robust game that can spread out to dozens of hours, if it's anything like the original (and it is.) 

Admittedly, RDR has a sweeping storyline and much-improved gameplay than its predecessor, but the idea that "Galaxy 2...cannot stand up to this" seems negated by the fact that RDR probably cannot stand up to the precedent established by GTA IV - a game invariably described as superior from a presentational aspect.  In a way, both games have been damned by their pedigree, which may give the edge to any new IPs that will spring up.

I'd head on over to each Metacritic page.  RDR is doing extremely well, but Galaxy 2 is of the record-breaking variety.  The last game to inspire all these accolades was GTA IV, and it took a miracle to dethrone that.
Siphillis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Siphillis
@Icemael said: 
Red Dead Redemption has a Metacritic average of 95. Super Mario Galaxy 2 has a Metacritic average of 97.  
"Universal Acclaim" vs "Universal Acclaim."  Metacritic should only be interpreted that way.
zanzibarbreeze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By zanzibarbreeze
@Siphillis: Ultimately, Red Dead Redemption will win more Game of the Year awards than Super Mario Galaxy 2. I will be right, and all the detractors will be wrong. That is the bottom line. Forgive us all if we've forgotten about SMG2 within six months. The same will not happen with Red Dead Redemption.
agentboolen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By agentboolen

Does anyone know how to make polls anymore?!?!

yakov456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By yakov456

Would you rather have the game that is rehashed nostalgia with some new costumes, or a game that is actually interesting and involving.

Bluethunder35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Bluethunder35

Choosing only one is impossible. These are going to be the top two contenders for GOTY 2010 (sorry, Halo: Reach, you have no chance now). I'd go with RDR as there's more game to it than SMG2. Me, I've got RDR and I'm buying SMG2 Sunday. I need both. 

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Godwind

I say you wait for E3 to see what is coming out next.

Coombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Coombs

very different games,
If you can't figure out which one appeals to you more, Nobody here can help you.

Claude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#44  Edited By Claude
@Godwind said:
" I say you wait for E3 to see what is coming out next. "
That's passive aggressive.
CoolDrMoney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#45  Edited By CoolDrMoney

Ignore both and buy Split/Second. Come on, I don't want to be the only guy who did that.

Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Godwind
@Claude said:
" @Godwind said:
" I say you wait for E3 to see what is coming out next. "
That's passive aggressive. "
You know what is passive aggressive.  Telling your girl that you love her and that she should go fuck herself.  Hellz yah
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Dalai
@ZanzibarBreeze said:
" @Icemael: I guess we'll see. Again, I've got no problem with Super Mario Galaxy 2. SMG won its share of GOTY awards, but Bioshock/Modern Warfare overwhelmed. It might be a contender, but it's just as much a contender as Fanta is for best soda; that is, it's the first to be eliminated from the list. Red Dead Redemption will overtake, because I think it has a great deal more longevity. "
I think if you look harder, you'll see that SMG won about as many GOTY awards as Bioshock and Modern Warfare. It might be early to say the SMG2 will win more or less awards than RDR, but people aren't going to forget a Mario platformer that easily. Plus, have we already forgotten Mass Effect 2 which scored about on par with both games? As of right now, it's a three-way tie for supremacy and we're not even halfway through the year. 

Oh God I'm having one them damn Wii Defense Force moments. I need some sleep.
Avatar image for thekingoftoilets
thekingoftoilets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By thekingoftoilets

Super Mario Galaxy is outta this world.....

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By xyzygy

I'd have to say Galaxy 2. But RDR is really good. 

Galaxy 2 will get GOTY everywhere. Mark my words. Both IGN and Gamespot gave the game 10's. When the hell does that ever happen? 

Personally though my GOTY list will be a little different. I'm just tlaking in terms of the critics.

dtat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#50  Edited By dtat

Mass Effect 2. But to not be a jackass, I will recommend Super Mario Galaxy 2.