This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Turambar (6489 posts) -

Since this question was unanswered during the video, and it'd only get lost in the soon to be mammoth main thread, I'd really like a a staff member to break it down clearly for all of us.

While I have a bunch of questions, I think it all merges into "should subscribers cancel their subscriptions ASAP as Whiskey Media is pretty much no more, or will the process be automatic?

#2 Posted by Gaff (1499 posts) -

I think they said a FAQ was going up "later today" / tomorrow.

#3 Posted by Enigma777 (6047 posts) -

I'd like to know that as well. Also how is the split going to affect this?

BTW, anyone want to buy my Premium account? It has a membership till mid-2013. Bidding starts off at $2

#4 Posted by James_Giant_Peach (751 posts) -

All subscribers will become premium 'Gamespot Plus' members, or at least that's my understanding.

#5 Posted by Turambar (6489 posts) -
@Gaff said:

I think they said a FAQ was going up "later today" / tomorrow.

Ah, must have missed that.
#6 Posted by 1momosauky (206 posts) -

@Enigma777: two dollars

#7 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1543 posts) -

Yeah, I'd really like to know how this is going to pan out. I'm kind of curious on how this is handled with Tested in addition to GB.

Also, I really hope the forums stay separate.

#8 Posted by falling_fast (2147 posts) -

@James_Giant_Peach said:

All subscribers will become premium 'Gamespot Plus' members, or at least that's my understanding.

at no point did they say anything like that. shut up.

#9 Posted by Turambar (6489 posts) -
@James_Giant_Peach said:

Considering our subscription is towards WM as a whole, not just one of the individual sites, what would that mean for Screened, Tested, and AnimeVice subscribed users?
#10 Posted by TyCobb (1924 posts) -

Great. I tell CBS/GameSpot to fuck off years ago and as soon as I finally decide to start giving GiantBomb my money, CBS buys them.

#11 Posted by Animasta (14466 posts) -

@damnable_fiend said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

they didn't say plus but they did say that they would transfer over to gamespot

#12 Posted by Gaff (1499 posts) -
If you’ve been coming to Tested for a while, you probably have questions. First off, what happens to your premium membership? You’ll continue to display your subscription badge when you post on the forums and in the comment section, and you’ll continue to see the site without ads for the duration of your subscription, but we aren’t going to auto-renew your subscription when it expires. We’ll have some more stuff to announce for members soon; we won’t forget you guys who’ve supported us during our first two years. All of the existing members-only video--including Bricked and No Jars Allowed--will be open to everyone, as soon those videos finish processing, that is.

http://www.tested.com/news/so-whats-happening-with-tested-video/3744/ (The site is acting up, copied it here)

I'm guessing that's what happening to the Tested side of my subscription, though I'm not sure what'll happen to GB's side of things.

#13 Posted by Boiglenoight (513 posts) -

@TyCobb said:

Great. I tell CBS/GameSpot to fuck off years ago and as soon as I finally decide to start giving GiantBomb my money, CBS buys them.

No one cares about the rules.

#14 Posted by GeneralZod37 (255 posts) -

I am really interested to read the FAQ later on. I hope it is posted soon.

#15 Posted by Phatmac (5686 posts) -

Glad I didn't buy a subscription. This is great news regardless.

#16 Edited by falling_fast (2147 posts) -

I hope there aren't any refunds. this is just too goddamn obnoxious/entitled of people.

#17 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Turambar said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Considering our subscription is towards WM as a whole, not just one of the individual sites, what would that mean for Screened, Tested, and AnimeVice subscribed users?

Tested.com starting new site away from WM with Mythbusters. Comic Vine and Giant Bomb goint to CBS. Screened and Anime Vice finished.

#18 Posted by Gargantuan (1877 posts) -

Canceled my subscription. We'll see if the new Giant Bomb is worth my money.

#19 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

Is anyone else kind of scared?

#20 Posted by hwy_61 (913 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel I kinda am. I've grown to love these guys, and I am kinda worried they won't have the freedom to do whatever they feel like anymore. Scary indeed!
#21 Posted by Winternet (7936 posts) -

This will be addressed shortly. We'll just have to wait.

#22 Posted by williamflipper (63 posts) -

I don't know I'm always been into DIY and more than happy to give money and support to independent bands, music labels, small printing... I hope for the best at all whisky media crew... I'm quite allergic to big media outlet, I don.t really know...

#23 Posted by Ragdrazi (2283 posts) -
@SpikeSpiegel said:

Is anyone else kind of scared?

Yes. A lot of people. Because we love this place. But we have to keep calm and wait to see what happens. Because worrying about it isn't going to change anything.
#24 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Give your money to CBS via subscription or be punched in the face by advertisements plastered EVERYWHERE that doesn't have text!

Calling it.

#25 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

@Turambar said:

AnimeVice subscribed users?

Dude whats happening to Anime Vice!?

#26 Posted by xMP44x (2189 posts) -

I'm actually really lucky with my membership. As part of the 'Pay It Forward' scheme I was actually given my membership. I don't know who and I don't know why, but I know I really appreciated the action. I have no idea where my membership is going but considering I have no payment method linked to my account I am pretty certain it'll go until it doesn't go any further. I don't know if this will get me using GameSpot more, but whatever way it works out I'll hopefully be remembered as that guy with the Makarov avatar.

#27 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

So, who's starting the petition to rewrite the supposed "ending" of giant bomb? 
Anyone? no? 

#28 Posted by xMP44x (2189 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
So, who's starting the petition to rewrite the supposed "ending" of giant bomb? Anyone? no? 
Giant Bomb is being controlled by outside forces? The Jeff you see? Never existed. No man matching his description has been alive for a good fifty years. Vinny? Well, Vinny's the Harbinger. Expect this result to be retconned into Premium-exclusive DLC. /s
#29 Posted by LordXavierBritish (6320 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
So, who's starting the petition to rewrite the supposed "ending" of giant bomb? Anyone? no? 
It's really kind of stupid that it's almost the exact same thing.

Jeff was fired from CBS so he could make his own site to get bought by CBS.

Who will break the cycle.
#30 Posted by Milkman (16233 posts) -

@damnable_fiend said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Uh, actually, that's exactly what's happening.

#31 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@xMP44x said:
@ZeForgotten said:
Giant Bomb is being controlled by outside forces? The Jeff you see? Never existed. No man matching his description has been alive for a good fifty years. Vinny? Well, Vinny's the Harbinger. Expect this result to be retconned into Premium-exclusive DLC. /s
All that matters now is, who's playing Wrex?
#32 Posted by Milkman (16233 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Turambar said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

Tested.com starting new site away from WM with Mythbusters. Comic Vine and Giant Bomb goint to CBS. Screened and Anime Vice finished.

Screened is not finished. Rorie is announcing where the site goes from here later today.

#33 Posted by xMP44x (2189 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
All that matters now is, who's playing Wrex?
Oh, that'll be Brad (or will it?). This information is all TBC, as I'm sure you understand.
#34 Edited by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Milkman said:

@damnable_fiend said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

This is in the FAQ, on the front page.. with big fucking letters:  

I'm a premium member, what does this mean for me? 

Nothing for the moment. Your services continue as normal across all of the Whiskey sites as well as on Roku, Boxee, iTunes... etc. On April 15th we will migrate the billing for premium memberships to Giant Bomb and Comic Vine so that we can separate them from Whiskey Media proper. Don't worry, features on the other sites will continue to work, as will your username as passwords, but you will only billed by Giant Bomb. No split billing will occur.

We made this decision based on the fact that 98 percent of our subscriptions originated with Giant Bomb and the vast majority of our premium content has focused on that site. However, we also recognize our users have their own ideas about the value of their premium plan so we wanted to make sure you had a full month to sit with these details and use the same billing tools you're used to using. It is very important to us that we don't sucker punch anyone and that you can cancel your plans easily at any time.

Got all that? OK, well there’s more. Those members that do stick around past April 15th will immediately receive GameSpot Total Access memberships for free as a thank you for continuing to support Giant Bomb and Comic Vine. These will be distributed through email as a gift code, so their redemption is optional.

We'll also send out a general email as well as other announcements before April 15th so you're not left with any surprises.

@xMP44x: yeah, I understand. You guys have nothing!
#35 Posted by xMP44x (2189 posts) -
@ZeForgotten said:
Those members that do stick around past April 15th will immediately receive GameSpot Total Access memberships for free as a thank you for continuing to support Giant Bomb and Comic Vine. These will be distributed through email as a gift code, so their redemption is optional.
So basically, I'm getting a free GameSpot Total Access membership for having a free Premium membership? Well, I have to say, Whiskey's top men look after their own. Good job, guys, and you have my respect wherever you may go. I wonder if the TA memberships are life time? If they are even the GameSpot guys might want to come over and buy a membership here, even just to wait for a month and then profit from it a little bit more.
#36 Posted by BrockNRolla (1702 posts) -

@damnable_fiend said:

I hope there aren't any refunds. this is just too goddamn obnoxious/entitled of people.

Because someone paid for something and then didn't get what they thought they were paying for? How does that make them entitled?

#37 Posted by Turambar (6489 posts) -
@Hizang said:

@Turambar said:

AnimeVice subscribed users?

Dude whats happening to Anime Vice!?

AV is probably the most interesting out of all the sites effected because it just doesn't have any support from WM currently anyways, no full time staff.  This acquisition can mean that it'll either just be shut down period due to its relatively low user count compared to Screened and Tested, or given more support than it ever received under WM.  It can go real good, or real bad.
#38 Posted by Milkman (16233 posts) -

@ZeForgotten: Uh, are you agreeing with me? Because it says right there, anyone who stays a subscriber also becomes a GameSpot subscriber.

#39 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
@Milkman: I am agreeing with you yes. 
I was gonna put "It even says so right here in the FAQ" but didn't do that because I was just typing and watching a TV show at the same time :P 
#40 Posted by Marlowefire (154 posts) -

I kinda want to cancel my subscription but I doubt I'd get y prorated money back.

#41 Posted by falling_fast (2147 posts) -

@ZeForgotten said:

@Milkman said:

@damnable_fiend said:

@James_Giant_Peach said:

This is in the FAQ, on the front page.. with big fucking letters:

I'm a premium member, what does this mean for me?

Nothing for the moment. Your services continue as normal across all of the Whiskey sites as well as on Roku, Boxee, iTunes... etc. On April 15th we will migrate the billing for premium memberships to Giant Bomb and Comic Vine so that we can separate them from Whiskey Media proper. Don't worry, features on the other sites will continue to work, as will your username as passwords, but you will only billed by Giant Bomb. No split billing will occur.

We made this decision based on the fact that 98 percent of our subscriptions originated with Giant Bomb and the vast majority of our premium content has focused on that site. However, we also recognize our users have their own ideas about the value of their premium plan so we wanted to make sure you had a full month to sit with these details and use the same billing tools you're used to using. It is very important to us that we don't sucker punch anyone and that you can cancel your plans easily at any time.

Got all that? OK, well there’s more. Those members that do stick around past April 15th will immediately receive GameSpot Total Access memberships for free as a thank you for continuing to support Giant Bomb and Comic Vine. These will be distributed through email as a gift code, so their redemption is optional.

We'll also send out a general email as well as other announcements before April 15th so you're not left with any surprises.

@xMP44x: yeah, I understand. You guys have nothing!

well that was posted after my post I'm pretty sure :/. sorry I'm just tired of people freaking out/wild speculation.

#42 Posted by Marlowefire (154 posts) -

I should clarify. I want to cancel because I dont want CBS to have y billing info.

#43 Posted by PsEG (3491 posts) -

Seems like it'd be best to redirect any further subscription talk and questions to Dave's FAQ. Thanks!