Reggie Fils-Aime is a Douche Bagger

H1VOLTAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By H1VOLTAGE

In case you don't know, Reggie Fils-Aime is the President of Nintendo of America, and how he got there eludes me, as he is about as dumb as a rock that a baby ate, then shit out, and somehow got stuck in the toilet. I love me some video games and from time to time, my meager paychecks are just not enough to get ahold of some of those $60 games. So I like to buy used games from time to time. Little did I know that Reggie Fils-Aime now thinks I am a terrorist, and that I want to find and rape the poor sweet innocent video game monopolies of the world with a fistfull of rusty nails. During a press conference, good ol' Reggie had this to say about used video games: "You don't see businesses selling used music CDs or used DVDs," Are you fuckin' serious? And then he continues with this fucked up bullshit:

"We don't believe used games are in the best interest of the consumer. We have products that consumers want to hold onto. They want to play all of the levels of a Zelda game and unlock all of the levels." Because the second you sell your copy of Zelda to Game Crazy, it becomes a demo right? He then ends his putrid rant with this:

"A game like Personal Trainer Cooking has a long life, We believe used games aren't in the consumer's best interest. Describe another form of entertainment that has a vibrant used goods market. Used books have never taken off. The consumer likes having a brand-new experience and reliving it over and over again. If you create the right type of experience, that also happens in video games."  Keep telling yourself that Reg, some of us realize that a used copy of a game means that someone gave that company their money for that game already, and I dont have the cash to buy it myself or I would. So Reggie is a Douche Bagger, there you have it.

H1VOLTAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By H1VOLTAGE

In case you don't know, Reggie Fils-Aime is the President of Nintendo of America, and how he got there eludes me, as he is about as dumb as a rock that a baby ate, then shit out, and somehow got stuck in the toilet. I love me some video games and from time to time, my meager paychecks are just not enough to get ahold of some of those $60 games. So I like to buy used games from time to time. Little did I know that Reggie Fils-Aime now thinks I am a terrorist, and that I want to find and rape the poor sweet innocent video game monopolies of the world with a fistfull of rusty nails. During a press conference, good ol' Reggie had this to say about used video games: "You don't see businesses selling used music CDs or used DVDs," Are you fuckin' serious? And then he continues with this fucked up bullshit:

"We don't believe used games are in the best interest of the consumer. We have products that consumers want to hold onto. They want to play all of the levels of a Zelda game and unlock all of the levels." Because the second you sell your copy of Zelda to Game Crazy, it becomes a demo right? He then ends his putrid rant with this:

"A game like Personal Trainer Cooking has a long life, We believe used games aren't in the consumer's best interest. Describe another form of entertainment that has a vibrant used goods market. Used books have never taken off. The consumer likes having a brand-new experience and reliving it over and over again. If you create the right type of experience, that also happens in video games."  Keep telling yourself that Reg, some of us realize that a used copy of a game means that someone gave that company their money for that game already, and I dont have the cash to buy it myself or I would. So Reggie is a Douche Bagger, there you have it.

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Keyser_Soze

Reggie Fils Aime, taking names and handing them to the FBI. Suck more corporate fascist dick Reggie?

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By zombie2011

"Used books have never taken off." Obviously he has never been to a College book store. 

Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#4  Edited By Pepsiman

Try putting yourself in the guy's shoes for a second. He's a businessman first and foremost and he's simply pursuing policies that are best for the well-being of his business, not the consumer. Nintendo has never been a company that seeks to revolutionize consumer rights and at the end of the day, that means it worries about its bottom line more than anything else. The used market as it's designed today is not something that can be used to his company's advantage, especially thanks to the economic dynamics set up by retailers such as GameStop. He has little incentive to see the used game business as his friend when his company doesn't see a single cent from it as it is. That's just the reality he has to face, so of course he's going to advocate for the purchasing of new games because he has no other revenue stream to rely on. Can you realistically expect him to say much else?

But I don't see his remarks as being extremely anti-consumer, either. He's just talking about internal development strategies that Nintendo employs that give people an incentive to retain copies of their games for extended periods of time. Things like Wii Fit and Personal Trainer Cooking do sell well to the masses precisely because they're not designed to be disposable. They have features implemented in them that allow for continued and repeated use that still yield benefits long after that initial purchase. The used markets for them certainly exist, but so many new copies stay with the original consumer that it's become a viable strategy for Nintendo to pursue. As the very cliche axiom goes, don't fix it if it isn't broken and Nintendo's strategy as it is remains very true to that.

Reggie is simply working within the confines of the capilast system as it is today. Certain aspects of it like the used market may be entirely legal, but that doesn't mean he has to feel particularly entitled to preach about its inherent goodness, either. If I were in his position, I'd probably be doing the exact same things as he is because there just isn't any other line of thought you can pubicly take in such a high-level position such as his. He has executives to answer to back in Japan, after all. Would I want to have to say those things? No. I'm a collector myself and that means I have to deal with used markets all over the world in varying capacities, especially for older games. But I can still see where Reggie is coming from, so I'm willing to cut him some slack.

Oh, and you might want to actually take a look at his resume before you take a jab at his qualifications to be running Nintendo of America. The guy has a pretty successful history as a marketing executive for a number of major companies outside of the game industry. You don't get to the position he's at today by being anything but seriously calculating and methodical, traits that I still see in this quotes within the original post. You don't have to like the fact that he's there, but the fact that he's there is hardly a coincidence.

Lowbrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Lowbrow

Beh. You know what? This is you standard bullshit corporate response that no one believes but everyone shoves out the door.

Face it ladies and gentleman - videogames are a muli billion dollar industry at this point in  the game - that means stockholders to impress, and bullshit to spew.

These types of responses should surprise no one.

Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By Death_Unicorn

Don't you "rent" books from a library?

H1VOLTAGE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By H1VOLTAGE
@Pepsiman: The biggest point I wanted to make in this blog was how dumb this man really is when it comes to video games as a form of entertainment. He is an excellent businessman, and I'm sure that is the only reason he exists in the company. As a gamer and a fan of the company that he represents, I can't take the guy seriouly. He rambles about how Nintendo has the best technology, and how no other company's hardware can even touch what nintendo has. He doesn't care about the consumer, he doesn't care about me, or you, or anyone as long as Nintendo keeps making money. Which is fine, whatever, I dont need him to care. Point is, this guy sucks and i dont like him. He is an idiot, who says some idiotic stuff. Thats my opinion, dont like it if you dont want to.
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By Out_On_Bail

I have a used CD store right down the street from me, he obviously hasn't ever been there. And like someone else mentioned, college bookstores thrive off of used books. 

mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By mordukai
@zombie2011 said:
" "Used books have never taken off." Obviously he has never been to a College book store.  "
Obviously he has also never been to a flea market. 
Godwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Godwind

At least they aren't putting DRMs in their physical mediums.

DarkGamerOO7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#11  Edited By DarkGamerOO7
@Mordukai said:
" @zombie2011 said:
" "Used books have never taken off." Obviously he has never been to a College book store.  "
Obviously he has also never been to a flea market. 
"
Or Half-Price Books (which also sells tons of used Music, DVDs, and Games.)
AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 31

#12  Edited By AgentJ
@H1VOLTAGE said:
" @Pepsiman: The biggest point I wanted to make in this blog was how dumb this man really is when it comes to video games as a form of entertainment. He is an excellent businessman, and I'm sure that is the only reason he exists in the company. As a gamer and a fan of the company that he represents, I can't take the guy seriouly. He rambles about how Nintendo has the best technology, and how no other company's hardware can even touch what nintendo has. He doesn't care about the consumer, he doesn't care about me, or you, or anyone as long as Nintendo keeps making money. Which is fine, whatever, I dont need him to care. Point is, this guy sucks and i dont like him. He is an idiot, who says some idiotic stuff. Thats my opinion, dont like it if you dont want to. "
You do realize that almost every executive on top of a game developer would say nearly the same thing? They all care about making money first and foremost, so i dont see why you are calling out Reggie specifically. Might as well pull up the find the opinions of the executives for EA, Microsoft, Activision Blizzard, Sony, and Square Enix while you're at it. None of them are going to say used games are good for the industry. 
zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By zombie2011
@DarkGamerOO7: Yeah thats where i go when ever i wanna buy a book. They have a decent selection of PC games on the cheap.

However, from my experience they are kinda like gamestop in that they pay you shit for books but then sell them for quite a bit more. But i still go there cause they have a great selection of cheap books.
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14  Edited By Linkyshinks
He rambles about how Nintendo has the best technology, and how no other company's hardware can even touch what nintendo has.

News to me, first I've ever heard of such rambling. I have only ever witnessed measured responses from him to date.

Nintendo are a business which will do nothing that will remotely jeopardize sales, their standpoint on this issue is very old, they have made it very clear in the past without Reggie. They sued and prevented Blockbuster Video from renting games in the early 90s and they still have the similar attitude today with the sale of part exchange goods.  But of course they are powerless to do anything.