Reggie Speaks On Wii Storage Issue

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Linkyshinks

Nintendo's Reggie Fils-Aime discussed the Wii's storage problem once again, revealing the company's growing urgency to provide one. However, comments made may yet again may anger some fans

Speaking to MTV Multiplayer at E3 last week the President of Nintendo of America discussed the Wii's storage issue. It's certainly a problem, and with consumers seeking more this year Nintendo need to solve it.

MTV Multiplayer: One of the other things about hardware is that there’s been a lot of questions about the state of storage for the system. There was the retracted comment about “geeks and otaku” from the representative form Nintendo of Europe. But there are people who are downloading WiiWare games and finding that they are running out of room. There are channels in Mario Kart and Wii Fit that take up storage space. DLC coming for “Guitar Hero: World Tour” that’s going to have to be put on SD cards if you want to have a lot of music. Clearly there are a lot of reasons to provide extra storage. Are you guys planning on providing extra storage?

Fils-Aime: We have said publicly that we’re looking hard at the storage situation, that we’re working on a range of solutions. We have nothing to announce now. But certainly it’s an issue we are aware of and we’re working to find a solution and we will.

Multiplayer: Are you hearing this complaint mostly from — and let’s use a nicer comment than “geeks and otaku” — more from hardcore gamers than from your expanded blue ocean audience?

Fils-Aime: From an Americas-centric perspective, here is the reality we see. We have a consumer base who loves virtual console. We have a userbase who really is enjoying WiiWare content. So for us really our challenge really is how do we satisfy all these consumers who are loving all of the product we make available on a download basis? As we continue to have things, as you point out, like ‘Mario Kart’ that has its own channel when you’re playing from an Internet perspective, we’re just making this challenge tougher and tougher. So in our view this is becoming much more of a mainstream problem, which is why we have a sense of urgency to solve it.

On the evidence of that last sentence It would seem the casual market have far more sway with Nintendo right now which is very disappointing. I and many others have been asking for this since the very start, yet only now do they choose to something, and it takes the casual market to instigate this!.

On another note I am very happy the matter is going to be addressed. My own Wii is close to breaking point right now, I have 50 Virtual Console and one Wii Ware game and even though the majority are on SD my console is serious laggy and stalls between boots due to it's weak core memory.
BloodRavyne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By BloodRavyne

I bet they will release a new Wii with a higher HD. Meaning shelling out another $200+ for more storage.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By epic_pets

Nice read, thanks

FuzzyFace56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FuzzyFace56

Well...they are a toy company...why would a toy need a HD...its not like its suppose to supply a median were ppl can implement and download new software..... thats too complicated a feature that a toy really doesn't need.....

banksrob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By banksrob

hmm, this is good as i am nearly having to place my games i am downloading form virtual console onto my SD card, I hope its announced by Q4 this year and finally something that real Nintendo fans need

Duke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Duke

Bah, what a difference 3 years makes. After the "failure" that was the gamecube, nintendo aimed to please the hardcore market with "hardcore" franchises. Now that they tapped the grandma market they are basically telling gamers to shut up and suck it up. Say what you will about what the right thing from a company standpoint is, since they are doing the correct thing for the situation, it still sucks to see what has happened to nintendo

Bah

mthe1337one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mthe1337one
BloodRavyne said:
"I bet they will release a new Wii with a higher HD. Meaning shelling out another $200+ for more storage.
"
bluntly put, that would be the most UNREASONABLE thing for Nintendo to do....which unfortunately is probably the reason why it's going to happen >_<

there are 2 effing usb ports that aren't even being put to good use, i seriously hope Nintendo is considering an external storage solution other than SD...otherwise current Wii owners WILL go apeshit over having to buy another 300 dollar console...
SSbabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By SSbabel

If they do release another model with HD, how much will it cost?. Or will they release a seperate HD that connects into the USB ports which will finally be used, who knows with nintendo.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Watch them bring back memory cards. -.-

lawblob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#10  Edited By lawblob

It is truly amazing how Nintendo really no longer needs the hard core support.  They are selling so many consoles, the hard core gamers are practically like flies on the wall to them.  Hopefully they get some kind of storage solution implemented.

Jonathan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Jonathan

Why not have some centralized ID for the Wii, put some DRM on your games, and let us put the games on SD cards! Sony and Microsoft do it, why can't Nintendo do it?

Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Anonymous

I don't really care about storage, as I don't download any games from the wii shop channel. It would still be nice however to have more storage.

tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By tmontana1004

They better get some DLC soon because I don't wanna get screwed with rock band 2.