Region selection

gentleZen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gentleZen

Hi. I just signed up here and wanted to start right away with adding a new release, but since there is only Japan, USA, UK and Australia available to choose from, i can't do sh*t. (I'm from Germany) A database that claims to be the "world's biggest" should have all countries available to choose from. don't - you - think

natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By natetodamax

I'm a tad bit confused about what you are talking about.

Welcome to the site.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 36

#3  Edited By LordAndrew

I just treat the United Kingdom region as a catch-all for all European regions. You could do the same.

zerok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 17

#4  Edited By zerok

That would be one solution but IMO it would be better to have the whole category renamed to "Europe". Or do some countries within Europe get games later?

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_A_Drain
@zerok said:
"That would be one solution but IMO it would be better to have the whole category renamed to "Europe". Or do some countries within Europe get games later? "

Depends.

It's weird and complicated. But, mostly Germany (and another, I forget who) sometimes gets altered games and pushed back release dates.

Also the UK gets a lot of different treatment, and every now and then, we get a game the rest of Europe doesn't get.

But, it wouldn't be too much of a loss to just have an EU section and include the UK in that, and simply note differences in the individual games pages.
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Endogene
@zerok said:
" That would be one solution but IMO it would be better to have the whole category renamed to "Europe". Or do some countries within Europe get games later? "
Quite often yes, France and Spain in particular.

The fact that as now we can't add releases for specific countries is extremely annoying, the fact that they decided to regroup all the European countries under United Kingdom is almost insulting. The lack of Asian countries is also rather troublesome, Korea is a good example. This is a part of the wiki that needs a big overhaul.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Endogene:

Ahh, I stand corrected, in that case it appears that Europe varies even more widely than I thought.

Come to think of it, didn't Rule of Rose get released on France? But not the UK or most of the rest of Europe?

zerok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By zerok
@The_A_Drain: Yes, in that case that might work in the short term. Recently I just ordered all my games from one reseller and they seem to always receive all the European versions at the same time (+/- one day), so I totally forgot about those differences :-/ 

In the end a country based release might be the better solution, though, even considering the duplicated content.
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By The_A_Drain
@zerok:

I honestly reckon a simply EU tag would suffice, but note the differences on the pages of the individual games. That's just my opinion though.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#10  Edited By oldschool

I am just stunned that Australia is important enough to get a standout mention.  Really?  If 21 million Australian who are the same region as the UK and Europe, then why even bother to mention Australia.  Seems odd to me.  Just about every country in Europe has a bigger population than Australia.

I would figure that South America in general and countries like Brazil specifically should rate special mention and certainly above Australia.  just my 2 cents worth  :-)
Endogene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Endogene
@The_A_Drain: Looks like Zerok answered that one, I'm not that familiar with that game myself. There are quite a bit of region specific games that just make no sense at all to add them to the database with the current UK=Europe region for dates. Most of these games come from either Germany or France and never cross the borders.
zerok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By zerok
@The_A_Drain: The problem is what to do with other regions like all of Russia, all of Asia outside of Japan and all of Middle and South America? Going for "regions" instead of "countries" makes including these territories rather complicated.
gentleZen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By gentleZen

I'm not sure if you people are aware of it, but  germany and some other european countries mostly get there own versions of a game, translated into the specific language (sometimes only text, often text and speech). And german releases of brutal games are often censored. There are also editions of games which have been released in europe only, some collector's editions and stuff like that. I just mean, if you claim to be the "world's biggest" you just have to add those regions to your database. As long as that doesn't happen, i'll stay with www.ogdb.de ^^

FrankCanada97

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By FrankCanada97

Welcome back. Does this www.ogdb.de have RapeLay in it?

gentleZen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gentleZen
@FrankCanada97:  Doesn't seem so. Never heard of the game before and for good reason - such a game would never be alowed in germany. But i'll add it to the ogdb.de database. Currently ogdb.de is in german language only but a made up a topic in the forums asking the administrators to add an english translation, maybe it will come in the near future, i don't know yet.