Rejected Double Fine Kinect game - emotion-controlling dagger

RagingLion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By RagingLion

Hey, so I thought this might be of interest to people. I just watched this video from the NYU Game Center lecture series where they had Tim Schafer presenting on that occasion and it features a really interesting and funny game idea Double Fine were pitching to an unnamed publisher who decided there weren't going to pursue it in the end. This lecture is from 5 months ago but I can't remember hearing about this from anyone at that time and I reckon others might also be clueless to this and yet still be interested to hear about it. It's worth watching just to hear some witty dialogue written (and even voice-acted) by Tim Schafer but the idea they had was intriguing: to use the Kinect to register gestures based on specific emotions that you want to cause people in the game world to feel for other people/objects in the game -e.g. love, fear, trust. And you're doing this as an ancient dagger with a soul trapped in it that can influence anyone who takes hold of you while in the meantime there is a crazy backdrop of a wedding on a boat where everyone has different competing motivations. It allows for you to be passed between many different people and experience different branching plots and endings which Tim admits might have been over-ambitious and very hard to implement.

Here's the video and useful time stamps:

http://vimeo.com/39411914#

7:35 - starts introducing project

14:25 - early prototype demo

18:50-38:40 - final prototype demo

I remember at the time of the Kickstarter that Tim mentioned that the success was a welcome one after a team had just experienced the pain of having a project they had been working on cancelled. Maybe this is that project he was referring to - though I don't know how much work these prototypes constitute for DoubleFine and so maybe this one is just another smaller early stage project.