Release Trends and Success.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By Jayge_

I was prompted to make this topic by today's Spore release. A game release on Sunday. Which is something you don't see very often.

Most times, you see a release on Tuesday, hopefully street dated. If not, you unwrap the plastic on Wednesday. Why exactly? I like to think that the people who buy the game right off are the ones who will give it word of mouth to friends, which will in turn lead to huge booms on Friday and Saturday. I don't understand *why* exactly anyone would want to do this, because a game is a game any day of the week.

Does a game almost invariably sell more if it is injected into the market this way? Is it a steam-killer to flood the market with copies on weekends? If so, why is EA doing it with Spore?

An interesting question, indeed.

Kratos81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Kratos81

I follow games on the internet, I dont care what day they are released. I dont see how releasing games on different days would affect sales. If its a good game gamers will buy it.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By brukaoru

Quite an interesting question, sir.

I always thought that DVD and game releases on weekdays was because of the general workweek that people tend to have. It seems more people are off on weekends, or have shorter work hours on weekends. I don't think it really is a "steam-killer" to release games on weekends, I actually don't see a problem with it. I think EA has high expectations for Spore, and expect it to sell well no matter what day they released it on.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Vaxadrin

What I want to know is why companies can't get their shit together and have the game available on Tuesday everywhere, like DVD's are.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jayge_

Yeah, my question is why people seem so afraid to differ from the Tuesday-ship, Wednesday-sell formula though. I've never seen anything proving its effectiveness.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

I guess they're so afraid to differ from it because it's tried and true?

Who knows. Both Mercs 2 and Spore were released on Sunday though, and they were both EA related.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

From what I understand, Sunday is a popular day to release games in japan, because gaming is such a big thing over there that people take sick days from school or work to play a really big new release, so they started to release them on Sundays so most people were off work. Some Japanese games that were released on Sundays were given a worldwide release date, therefore they were released on Sundays worldwide. These games sold pretty well, so now games companies think that releasing on a Sunday = big sales.

xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By xxNBxx
Jayge said:
"I was prompted to make this topic by today's Spore release. A game release on Sunday. Which is something you don't see very often.

Most times, you see a release on Tuesday, hopefully street dated. If not, you unwrap the plastic on Wednesday. Why exactly? I like to think that the people who buy the game right off are the ones who will give it word of mouth to friends, which will in turn lead to huge booms on Friday and Saturday. I don't understand *why* exactly anyone would want to do this, because a game is a game any day of the week.

Does a game almost invariably sell more if it is injected into the market this way? Is it a steam-killer to flood the market with copies on weekends? If so, why is EA doing it with Spore?

An interesting question, indeed."

You are totally over thinking this.  Most places receive there shipmints on a tuesday or a wesday ( even if one place gets their's earler they still have to wait for most of everyone else to sell it)  When its not on one of those days its moslty done for a promotional reason.  Spore on Sunday... come one thats ez, you don't have to be religious to see why.
mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike
MattyFTM said:
"From what I understand, Sunday is a popular day to release games in japan, because gaming is such a big thing over there that people take sick days from school or work to play a really big new release, so they started to release them on Sundays so most people were off work. Some Japanese games that were released on Sundays were given a worldwide release date, therefore they were released on Sundays worldwide. These games sold pretty well, so now games companies think that releasing on a Sunday = big sales."
That's exactly right.  I see no correlation between which day of the week a game is released on and it's overall sales numbers.  If anything, Spore got even more press by being a  little bit different and releasing on Sunday instead of Tuesday, or any other day of the week for that matter.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Jayge_
xxNBxx said:
"Jayge said:
"I was prompted to make this topic by today's Spore release. A game release on Sunday. Which is something you don't see very often.

An interesting question, indeed."

You are totally over thinking this.  Most places receive there shipmints on a tuesday or a wesday ( even if one place gets their's earler they still have to wait for most of everyone else to sell it)  When its not on one of those days its moslty done for a promotional reason.  Spore on Sunday... come one thats ez, you don't have to be religious to see why."
But why not Friday, when everyone is getting out of work (hopefully) and going "hey, it's Friday! Want to check out that new game?". I know tons of people who can't actually make it to the store until the weekends. The Tuesday release makes no sense whatsoever to me, so I'm assuming there's some marketing-related reason.

MB said:
"MattyFTM said:
"From what I understand, Sunday is a popular day to release games in japan, because gaming is such a big thing over there that people take sick days from school or work to play a really big new release, so they started to release them on Sundays so most people were off work. Some Japanese games that were released on Sundays were given a worldwide release date, therefore they were released on Sundays worldwide. These games sold pretty well, so now games companies think that releasing on a Sunday = big sales."
That's exactly right.  I see no correlation between which day of the week a game is released on and it's overall sales numbers.  If anything, Spore got even more press by being a  little bit different and releasing on Sunday instead of Tuesday, or any other day of the week for that matter.

"
See, that's a policy that makes sense. They should probably do that over here. Although releasing all games on Church days would probably blow up a bad scene. Who knows.
xxNBxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By xxNBxx
twenty0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By twenty0ne

I really don't think that the day of the week has to do with how many copies of a game are sold. I think you're thinking into this way too much Jayge. :P