Religion in Games Making a Comeback? (lengthy post)

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Edited By JokerClown88

More specifically the Judeo-Christian belief of Heaven and Hell.  There havn't been many Religious video games since the days of Wisdom Tree.   It appears to me that there is a resurgance of games that have this concept in them.  I'm not just talking about a casual refrence to God or to Satan or all of that nonsence, I am talking about games that actually focus on them.  This month and next month see/saw the releases of Darksiders, Bayonetta, and Dantes Inferno.  All three of these games deal with the concepts of Heaven and Hell pretty blatantly.  Lets get into the nitty gritty shall we? 

War. Horseman of the Apocalypse.
Darksiders is the first game that we will take a look at.  This game is casts you as War.  The first of the legendary Four Horseman of the Apocalypse who inadvertanly unleashes the Apocalpyse before the Seventh Seal is broken.  This causes all kinds of problems and War must clear his name by fighting his way through seemingly every demon and angel ever to reach The Destroyer and clear his name.  It is extremely obvious that this game uses the story of the End Times from the Book of Revelation as a backdrop or insperation for its story and setting.  It does take some liberties with the story in that there is a balance and a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo between Heaven, Hell, and the Kingdom of Man (watch the intro cutscene for a full explination), but it is very much a "Christian" game.  Jesus didnt return due to the fact that the Apocalyse happened too early and because of that, it all ended.  The world went to shit and is what a real Post-Apocalyptic setting should be.  The point is that Darksiders pretty blatantly deals with the Judeo-Christian belief of an Apocalpyse and the End Times even if Vigil Games was a little...flexable with the story itself. 

Slaughtering Angels since 2010

The next game that we will look at does not directly deal with these stories, but still deals with the concepts of Heaven and Hell.  That game is Bayonetta.  Now I will be the first to admit that I have not spent a whole lot of time with the game itself, but the prologue itself even states about the different "worlds" that the game centers around.  Bayonetta herself is a witch who is a target of the Angels of "Paradiso" to be taken to "Inferno."  Bayonetta herself engages the Angels of Paradiso in the relm of Purgatorio where the Angels can be seen.  Heck even the "Hair demons" that she summons come from Inferno.  Even the names of the relms themselves are taken from the Divine Comedy.  Bayonetta is the game that takes the most liberities with the standard beliefs and stories, but the framework is still very much there.  And why is it that Bayonetta and Darksiders are games that cast the player as someone who is "evil?"  I mean Darksiders your character is one of the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse that unleashes the End of Days among humans and Bayonetta has you summoning Demons to kill Angels.  Is there a calling for that kind of thing?  I have no idea, but it is interesting to me.  

The last game that we will look is is Dante's Inferno.  This game comes out next month and it is the only game of the three that casts you as a "good guy."  Ripped almost completly from The Divine Comedy, Dante's Inferno has you playing as Dante who must fight through the Nine Circles of Hell to rescue the one he loves.  Basically what happened is Dante got screwed while fighting the Crusades and is aproached by Death to be taken to Hell.  Dante resists and has his wife taken in his stead.  He then pledges his complete self to God and renounces the pleasures of flesh (sex for the uninformed) until his wife is saved from the clutches of Satan himself.  How many games spend the majority of their time in Hell?  How many games have a deeply religious Christian as their protagonist?  Dante's Inferno does.  One of his weapons is even a Cross that allows him to Absolve an enemy of their sins, or Damn them as well as giving him access to divine magics.  This game is the most blatantly and openly "Christian" game that has been released in years.  Decades even.  Another quick question.  Why is it that all of these games are straight up action games?  Ya Darksiders has adventure elements in it, but it is still 50% action game?  But I digress... 

It is refreshing to me to see that games are crossing the religion barrier more openly.  Granted this will definatly lead to a greater backlash against the hobby that we all know and love, but a little controversy is never a bad thing.  I personally hope that in the near future we can see some kind of RPG using the plot outline of Dante's Inferno due to the fact that to me it is the perfect setup for one.  It is certainly better then another flood of Zombie games. 

-JD 

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By JokerClown88

More specifically the Judeo-Christian belief of Heaven and Hell.  There havn't been many Religious video games since the days of Wisdom Tree.   It appears to me that there is a resurgance of games that have this concept in them.  I'm not just talking about a casual refrence to God or to Satan or all of that nonsence, I am talking about games that actually focus on them.  This month and next month see/saw the releases of Darksiders, Bayonetta, and Dantes Inferno.  All three of these games deal with the concepts of Heaven and Hell pretty blatantly.  Lets get into the nitty gritty shall we? 

Darksiders is the first game that we will take a look at.  This game is casts you as War.  The first of the legendary Four Horseman of the Apocalypse who inadvertanly unleashes the Apocalpyse before the Seventh Seal is broken.  This causes all kinds of problems and War must clear his name by fighting his way through seemingly every demon and angel ever to reach The Destroyer and clear his name.  It is extremely obvious that this game uses the story of the End Times from the Book of Revelation as a backdrop or insperation for its story and setting.  It does take some liberties with the story in that there is a balance and a whole bunch of mumbo jumbo between Heaven, Hell, and the Kingdom of Man (watch the intro cutscene for a full explination), but it is very much a "Christian" game.  Jesus didnt return due to the fact that the Apocalyse happened too early and because of that, it all ended.  The world went to shit and is what a real Post-Apocalyptic setting should be.  The point is that Darksiders pretty blatantly deals with the Judeo-Christian belief of an Apocalpyse and the End Times even if Vigil Games was a little...flexable with the story itself. 

The next game that we will look at does not directly deal with these stories, but still deals with the concepts of Heaven and Hell.  That game is Bayonetta.  Now I will be the first to admit that I have not spent a whole lot of time with the game itself, but the prologue itself even states about the different "worlds" that the game centers around.  Bayonetta herself is a witch who is a target of the Angels of "Paradiso" to be taken to "Inferno."  Bayonetta herself engages the Angels of Paradiso in the relm of Purgatorio where the Angels can be seen.  Heck even the "Hair demons" that she summons come from Inferno.  Even the names of the relms themselves are taken from the Divine Comedy.  Bayonetta is the game that takes the most liberities with the standard beliefs and stories, but the framework is still very much there.  And why is it that Bayonetta and Darksiders are games that cast the player as someone who is "evil?"  I mean Darksiders your character is one of the Four Horseman of the Apocalypse that unleashes the End of Days among humans and Bayonetta has you summoning Demons to kill Angels.  Is there a calling for that kind of thing?  I have no idea, but it is interesting to me.  

The last game that we will look is is Dante's Inferno.  This game comes out next month and it is the only game of the three that casts you as a "good guy."  Ripped almost completly from The Divine Comedy, Dante's Inferno has you playing as Dante who must fight through the Nine Circles of Hell to rescue the one he loves.  Basically what happened is Dante got screwed while fighting the Crusades and is aproached by Death to be taken to Hell.  Dante resists and has his wife taken in his stead.  He then pledges his complete self to God and renounces the pleasures of flesh (sex for the uninformed) until his wife is saved from the clutches of Satan himself.  How many games spend the majority of their time in Hell?  How many games have a deeply religious Christian as their protagonist?  Dante's Inferno does.  One of his weapons is even a Cross that allows him to Absolve an enemy of their sins, or Damn them as well as giving him access to divine magics.  This game is the most blatantly and openly "Christian" game that has been released in years.  Decades even.  Another quick question.  Why is it that all of these games are straight up action games?  Ya Darksiders has adventure elements in it, but it is still 50% action game?  But I digress... 

It is refreshing to me to see that games are crossing the religion barrier more openly.  Granted this will definatly lead to a greater backlash against the hobby that we all know and love, but a little controversy is never a bad thing.  I personally hope that in the near future we can see some kind of RPG using the plot outline of Dante's Inferno due to the fact that to me it is the perfect setup for one.  It is certainly better then another flood of Zombie games. 

-JD 

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By TheHBK

I never really thought about that so much, the religion coming into games.  But my first thought is... comeback?  When was religion in with games in the first place?
Part of it is that the Bible does have some pretty nasty stuff in there about war and super wars.  Angles fighting demons and so for Dante, based off the book too, and Darksiders, the back story, the basics of it are easy to get down and flesh out because someone has already written it.  In Bayonetta's case, I feel its more of just a name.  You kill Angels.  Use demons, not much religion there I think other than they needed enemies and allies for her.

JokerClown88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JokerClown88
@TheHBK:
The comeback aspect is from the days of the NES.  The development company called Wisdom Tree developed a bunch of religious games such as everyones favorite Bible Adventures.  Not since those days has there been a lot to do with open religion in video games.  I edited the opening paragraph with this information.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ryanwho

None of these games are about religion. They're using mythology surrounding a religion that happens to be still active (as opposed to dead ones) as a branching point for their own little thing that couldn't be less religious, honestly. Is a game with Zeus in it about paganism? No, these are characters that are conceptually and visually interesting and in a creative void what you do is look at shit like that and make it your own. Games aren't more religious, devs are just running low on dead religions to rip off for baddies and stories.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By torus

Dante's Inferno has only a passing resemblance to the Divine Comedy. Also, it is a huge understatement to say that biblical mythology and iconography has been a major influence in nearly every form of media anywhere for the past millenium.

TheHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By TheHBK
@JokerClown88: well as I said, Jesus religion was never really the in thing for games.  To comeback, religion would have to have been at the forefront of games like you say it is now.  I would not say Bible games meets that.  Though you could say that about God of War.  The Olympian Gods were someone's religion before.  And when you think about it, its all the same anyway.  Hercules, Jesus, Superman, pretty much all the same guy.
Avatar image for popeanonymousvii
PopeAnonymousVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By PopeAnonymousVII

Bayonetta is very much a "good guy" character.  The angels of the game are just not very good themselves.

ChristOnIce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ChristOnIce

None of those examples are Christian in any sense.  I don't recall Jesus playing a role in any, and there is little to do with religious teaching.

War is not "evil" in Darksiders.  The character is politically neutral and morally good.  Clearly, the Apocalypse is not a Biblical one.  The story uses a few elements of Revelation, but not many.  God is not mentioned, and nobody blinks an eye over the absence of zombie carpenters.  The game is as Christian as a 1980s metal album cover.  Also, the Apocolypse is not a Judeo-Christian belief.  It sounds like you're trying too hard to be broadly ecumenical.  Jews and Christians have very little agreement on the matter.

Bayonetta is in the same camp; there is hardly anything religious about the game.  Angels and Demons both pre-date Christianity and Judaism by a hell of a long time (as do Heaven and Hell).

Dante's inferno probably has the most similarity to Christian Mythology, but that says very little.  It's a game inspired by a poem that contains loose elements of a religion.  Having a crosses and religious iconography is by no means rare in games.

There are better games that deal with religion either directly or tangentially.  Assassin's Creed comes to mind insofar as it deals with the consequences of religious belief, but it keeps the kid-gloves on when it comes to making any points. 

None of these games is religious, let alone Christian.  I, for one, would like to see games that actually address religious beliefs.  None of these games tries to do that.  It would be difficult to make a "Christian" game worthwhile given that Jesus would be boring as shit as a protagonist.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ryanwho

Jesus is a cool dude, you shut your mouth. There are a lot of interesting ideas surrounding the bible, and by that I mean fiction that's not "canon" at all that tries to expand on various abract ideas, like the Ars Goetia, Paradise Lost, Dante's Inferno, etc. And, surprise surprise, those stories also borrow heavily from paganism because paganism was ripe with symbology. Its pretty clear Bayonetta, per one example, has concept artists that were looking at some of the batshit crazy abstract designs you see in, idunno, Baraoque era frescos and the Ars Goetia. Because they look cool. This is a religion that's had more artistic rendering than any other, by far, where people attempt to visually illustrate things that are supposely too massive in scope to ever really be depicted, that was part of the creative appeal. Its ripe for the picking, really. Hinduism too. People need to stop leaning o Nordic Heathanism and Greco Roman Paganism so much.

ChristOnIce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ChristOnIce
@ryanwho: 

I find Jesus to be a dull twat, but that is another issue.  At the very least, though, he'd be very boring as a game protagonist.  The Biblical Jesus, anyway.  With a few blasphemous twists and a Troma-esque tone there is definite potential.

I think you mean that they're ripe with symbolism, by the way.  Symbology is a bit different.  Anyway, to say that the Jesites have more artistic rendering by far is not very accurate.  Though the notion of a re-animated carpenter had a stranglehold on Europe for some time, the religion is still pretty young.  Greek gods have played the largest role in art.  Even in times of Christian domination, Greek myths were the most popular in literature and rivaled Christian art.  I don't know enough about the longevity of Asian religions, but I wouldn't be surprised if their longevity produces a good heft of art.

I think a major issue is that people fail to recognize distinctions of influence and its attribution.  Music is a great example of this.  For quite some time, a European composer pretty much had to write religious music to get anywhere.  There is nothing expressly religious about the sounds at all (and several composers were not even Christian).  However, slapping a religious name on it and saying that it was religious was the meal ticket.  Couple this with the fact that most of the narrative art surrounding religion deals with concepts that pre-date their faith, and it becomes clear that not all things with tangential religious ties are wholly religious.

You noted this to a degree in saying "...because it looks cool."  It has little to do with religion.  

I disagree that Christianity is in any way ripe for games.  Whatever one thinks of the truth value of the Bible, it is rather dull by any comparative measure.  The New Testament in particular would make for an excruciatingly boring game.  The Old Testament wouldn't fare much better as it lacks interesting events along a cohesive narrative.  The Greek myths, on the other hand, are far from extinguished.  While we've seen enough of Zeus, Heracles, and the usual top-names, there are plenty of unexploited myths.  Hell, Homer hasn't been properly adapted in games once save for a few nods.  

Adapting Christian shit is problematic for several reasons.  First, the story is cut, dry, and as banal as a game could get.  Second, people still believe this shit; with its ridiculous level of popularity, you'd have to either alienate believers or limit yourself to them.  Christianity is also much too thin for adaptation to have an impact.  With other mythologies, few people will have a full and working knowledge of the events.  Quite often, characters and events can be completely new to the audience or at least remind them of something they don't remember too well.  Toss in that the myths have so many nuances of character and events through retelling, and the possibilities are endless.  With Christianity, everyone knows pretty much all that is of interest.  The Bible just doesn't make for an impressive story.  If you take away belief and examine it as fiction along the lines of the Greeks, Chinese, Aztecs, or just about any other culture, the stories of the Bible just cannot hold a candle.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ryanwho

I meant the things that spring up around it are interesting. I find some of the older abstract depictions of hell just fascinating and weird. Again, not really diving into the stories themselves, just the ideas in the stories. As a concept artist, I read any random bit from revelations and try and visualize it and blood starts dripping out of my ear. You mix that in with the egos of the Rennaisance period and you get bizzare creative works. I tend to think most of Christianity's most impactful visual facades are mostly composited from mythology of the time as that made the transition easier. So looking at it that way, its really just an evolution from the old religions. All that said, I kind of feel like, yeah, its gone the way of paganism. Its just not that compelling anymore. But at the same time, I think those other sources you mentioned are, even now, a little too "foriegn" for most people's comfort. When you offer something "new" like these new IPs, you still have to stay within a comfort zone in certain ways or people feel alienated. And regaurdless of how one feels about the bible, there's an immediate understanding of role because of it and that's something games continue to play off of. Person with bird wings good, person with goat horns bad. How do you tell a good Aztec god from a bad one? That's not embedded into the general consciousness. So people play it safe and avoid that stuff. Which kinda sucks.

Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#12  Edited By Symphony

Err comparing games like Bayonetta or Darksiders to Wisdom Tree's unlicensed ripoffs on the NES is a bit strange... Wisdom Tree's games were created by Christians to -- in some odd way -- spread the word of the gospel. Game such as Dante's Inferno merely the mythology of Christianity to tell their story, much like God of War uses Greek mythology, or Shin Megami Tensei uses a mishmash of Judeo-Christian, Shinto, Hindi, etc etc etc.

Xenogears, in my opinion, was one of the first real groundbreaking titles to use such themes in their story, weaving a tale pulled from the mythos of Christianity and Gnosticism (along with Jungian theory and other crazy things). Weird note: Both Persona 3 and Xenogears have crucifixion scenes.

I can see your point though -- more mainstream western titles are seeing themes pulled from this particular mythology. However, such games have been occurring relatively regularly in the JRPG genre, perhaps because Japanese developers have never seen using Christian mythology as a faux pas like developers in the west did in the past. But then again Diablo was a western release and that game screams Christian mythology.

taccyp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By taccyp

A comeback? I think religion/mythology has been an integral part of video game fiction since the beginning; as it is in virtually every other medium.

applet0n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By applet0n

Apart from these kinds of looks at religion there's also been the AC2 take on religion and how they essentially look at it as a sham. I thought that was rather interesting.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow

It's a comment on the state of religion as it is juxtaposed against the nature of science in a civilisation that is growing an ever increasing dependence of technology and loosening societal norms which have historically been either bound by or conformed to religious rule.

In short, the internet is killing god.

Avatar image for generalmojo_786
GeneralMojo_786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By GeneralMojo_786

Dont you know? Free Masons are taking over all the Media xD
....NO im serious :|

diz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#17  Edited By diz

The first thing you have to do in the x360 Tropico demo is build a flipping church! There's no getting round it either. 

I also read about an xbox 360 indie game downloadable bible coming soon. 

evanbrau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By evanbrau

Wasn't there a "Left Behind" game?

Edit: Indeed there was.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

#19  Edited By ArbitraryWater

This thread is somehow going to turn into religious bickering/bashing like it was the off-topic board. I almost guarantee it. 

However, before that happens allow me to basically say that TC's thesis is wrong. Random religious references in some recent games does not = increase of religion in games. Game developers will take random stuff from any sort of mythology, and that includes Judeo-Christian beliefs as well. It's neither new nor especially worth mentioning.