#1 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

I really must have used them about twice. Now I'm not even convinced my 360 can read AAC files.

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36124 posts) -

No.

#3 Edited by handlas (2664 posts) -

I only ever cared for that for racing games.

Wipeout was the only game that did it the best tho. I'm pretty sure if I remember correctly... you could change songs in the game's actual menu and you didn't have to back out to the XMB.

#4 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

What do you mean custom soundtrack? Elborate more please.

#5 Posted by QuistisTrepe (628 posts) -

@SexyToad said:

What do you mean custom soundtrack? Elborate more please.

The ability to add your own music files to a game's soundtrack. You would see this in racing games, GTA, etc. And I don't recall this feature ever being that highly touted.

#6 Posted by ThePaleKing (613 posts) -

Well, when I'm playing on PC I just mute the in-game music and start up foobar2000. I remember putting custom music into a radio station in Driv3r, on the original xbox, and I did think it was odd that newer consoles didn't make more use of stuff like that.

#7 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

I first remember it being in some original Xbox games, but the thing I was thinking of in particular is how it's a standard feature of 360 games; I'd use it for stuff with particularly bad licensed soundtracks (helloooo Burnout Paradise). Nowadays when I occasionally try it out of curiosity it never seems to work. Weird.

#8 Posted by Phyrlord (171 posts) -

@EvilNiGHTS said:

I first remember it being in some original Xbox games, but the thing I was thinking of in particular is how it's a standard feature of 360 games; I'd use it for stuff with particularly bad licensed soundtracks (helloooo Burnout Paradise). Nowadays when I occasionally try it out of curiosity it never seems to work. Weird.

Yeah, I remember this being a HUGE feature with original xbox. Most of my friends ripped most of their CD's to the xbox and used to play all their CD's.

#9 Posted by mosespippy (4052 posts) -

@EvilNiGHTS said:

Hey! Hey! You! You! I don't like your girlfriend taste in music.

#10 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

Yeah I remember playing counter strike on Xbox and thinking it was awesome I could play custom music

#11 Posted by TheHT (10933 posts) -

That shit blew my mind when GTA3 came out on PC.

#12 Posted by TheCreamFilling (1224 posts) -

I only used that for GTA III on the original Xbox. Vice City soundtrack was too good to drown out.

#13 Posted by chrismafuchris (1088 posts) -

Usually when a game has a bad soundtrack, I just listen to my iPod.

#14 Posted by ninnanuam (267 posts) -

I have a few i like to use on open world games and racing games, although I haven't updated them in quite some time. I'd would really hate the feature to be removed.

I think a bit of the problem when it comes to other kinds of games is that it never worked right, when stages loaded it'd usually mess the song up or you'd end up listening to the same song over and over again.

#15 Posted by Vonocourt (2123 posts) -

Yeah, but now I just have stuff playing through my receiver.

#16 Posted by Scrawnto (2436 posts) -

@EvilNiGHTS said:

That game actually had a fair number of good tracks, BUT it played the soundtrack in a fixed order, so you always hit Girlfriend long before any of the good stuff.

#17 Edited by BestUsernameEver (4825 posts) -

@handlas said:

I only ever cared for that for racing games.

Wipeout was the only game that did it the best tho. I'm pretty sure if I remember correctly... you could change songs in the game's actual menu and you didn't have to back out to the XMB.

Right you are. It's sad to think we won't see WipeOut ever again, or not in a long while. Hopefully studio liverpool employees make their own studio. Or preferably join the studio the ex Bizarre creations employees made.

#18 Posted by huntad (1930 posts) -

I don't understand. I still use custom soundtracks. It's really cool when playing a racing game, or a game I've already played before, and be able to stream music right off of my PC to my 360.

#19 Posted by Rohok (554 posts) -

@EvilNiGHTS said:

I really must have used them about twice. Now I'm not even convinced my 360 can read AAC files.

I remember it being a big deal when Mass Effect 1 came out. They said something in a video about like, "Of course you'll be able to use your own custom soundtracks although we hope you won't, considering the work we've put into the music."

#20 Posted by BisonHero (6258 posts) -

@EvilNiGHTS said:

Here's what I think you meant to say:

@EvilNiGHTS said:

I first remember it being in some original Xbox games, but the thing I was thinking of in particular is how it's a standard feature of 360 games; I'd use it for stuff with particularly bad licensed soundtracks (helloooo every EA game where you are in a car or are any sort of athlete). Nowadays when I occasionally try it out of curiosity it never seems to work. Weird.

#21 Posted by DarthOrange (3852 posts) -

I still use them every now and again, like with Tony Hawk HD, Trials Evolution or LittleBigPlanet 2 in create mode.

#22 Posted by clstirens (847 posts) -

@Scrawnto said:

@EvilNiGHTS said:

That game actually had a fair number of good tracks, BUT it played the soundtrack in a fixed order, so you always hit Girlfriend long before any of the good stuff.

There was an options menu where you could toggle tracks, and you could even tell it to shuffle songs. I turned off girlfriend.

#23 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

EA sports game still have them, I have heaps of tracks burnt for FIFA. You can even set what songs the crowd chants when you score a goal!

#24 Posted by buzz_clik (6933 posts) -

I finished Black, 100% no-stone-left-unturned, to my own soundtrack made of shredding breakbeat tunes. SO GOOD.

Of course, you still can make and use custom soundtracks on 360; here's the one I have on hand for racing games.

#25 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Custom playlists are a thing. 
Using those in Guild Wars 2 is a lot of fun. You can set up playlists for specific stuff like, when you enter a major city it playes one playlist. 
Then if you're in Battle(3+ mobs) it switched to the Battle playlist, then there's BossBattle and so on.. 

Kinda fun setting all that up. 

#26 Posted by Pudge (869 posts) -

Isn't this a system level feature on 360? Back when I played Halo Reach a lot I used to stream stuff from my computer system level and it just played in the background. Now I run Spotify behind TF2 sessions.

#27 Posted by EvilNiGHTS (1093 posts) -

Tried running a few experiments with this earlier today.

• Music streamed from my Windows PC... works.
  • A USB flash drive with music bought from iTunes (not protected)... doesn't work. Tried streaming the same files from my PC and that didn't work either.
  • The same flash drive with AAC files ripped from a CD in iTunes... does work.
  • An 4th gen iPod Classic with AAC files ripped from CDs... does work.
  • My Android phone... doesn't even find the files.

Most of my music is stored in AAC, so I find it weird what it does and doesn't play. Since they were DRM-free I'm left wondering if it's a case of bitrate for that particular container, since my ripped files are usually 128k and the ones from the store are usually 256k.