Remember when we were excited about the next gen?

• 116 results
JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JZ

Now it's just this fatalistic nightmare, where people are saying "hey how about I just not play games anymore?" I personally am not going to buy any next gen system till the ps4 slim comes out. I never had a 360 and it's going to be priced dropped. So I'll just one those and play all the exclusive games. Dark souls 2 comes out next year for ps3. The first two years of every console are always terrible. Why would I subject myself to a console launch a sixth time?

Avatar image for oscar__explosion
Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I always tell myself that I'm going to wait until the next revision or price drop before buying a system, but I always cave and get something.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By JZ

@oscar__explosion: Well this time it'll be easy. At launch the games aren't going to look much better and they will be available on current gen systems. It's when like mgs5 comes out, that It'll be tantalizing.

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: that's what I thought last time, but I really wanted to play Gears of War and Halo 3

scroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'm still excited. I love the stupidity of a console Launch.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ

Pretty sure there are still many people excited for next gen. You're projecting.

nailmon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TBH I might just stick with PC for next Gen, might get a PS4 if its reasonably priced.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JZ

@oscar__explosion: but you see that time, games did look way better and weren't available on the thing you already own.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez: no I'm not projecting. Have you seen the people lately?

Oscar__Explosion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz said:

@oscar__explosion: but you see that time, games did look way better and weren't available on the thing you already own.

Yeah I guess but I never cared about how games looked. I was ultimately playing the same games I had been already playing before. I just wanted more of it.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ

@jz said:

@fluxwavez: no I'm not projecting. Have you seen the people lately?

Vocal minority? You could make an unbiased poll and know the answer for sure.

kagato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 7

#12  Edited By kagato

Im more worried than excited right now, if Sony dont take the opposite stance to Microsoft then im sticking with PC and WiiU for the forseeable future. The restrictions upon restrictons with nothing given in return, the assumptions being made about their gamerbase and this always on bullshit (dont even get me started on the cloud nonsense), im pretty much ready to walk away from the so called next generation.

In less than 24 hours we will find out the truth, i fully expect a whole bunch of games that look like pc ports hitting these new more powerful systems but since they dont look that much better i dont feel the pull that i did when HD was a new standard. Go on, tell me again about how more ram means more intelligent enemies and bigger environements when the best sellers have 4 hour story modes with AIs that get stuck in walls? Tell me again how the cloud makes these things possible, that without we couldnt have done without it, and then explain to me why that same game is coming to 360 and PS4?

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fluxwavez: there's already been like five of those threads.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@oscar__explosion: thus you will be happy with your ps3 or 360 for atleast two or three more years. However long the spilt gen lasts.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By FluxWaveZ
Levio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

The reason why people aren't sold on the consoles yet is simple: the main draw of new consoles is better graphics, and no one has seen the improved graphics yet. Once they actually see the consoles playing games (and assuming the graphics are impressive), suddenly they will be on board.

It's just predictable human behavior.

recroulette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By recroulette

I'm still excited. This generation shift isn't too different from the previous one. A lot of big changes, a lot of people predicting consoles are doomed. (Remember the Wii being announced? The HD-DVD/BluRay war?). The biggest difference this time is the looming presence of smartphones and tablets. Video games are great.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jz: It's cool that you are happy with what you have, and I admire your patience. However I and many others can't freaking wait for new consoles.

It has been SO LONG since the last console launch. Since then I have been married, had children, moved houses like five times... Goodness. In the grand scheme of things waiting over a year to save like a hundred bucks just seems kinda meaningless. Considering I can't even get out of a small grocery run for less than a hundred dollars. Might as well RIDE THE HYPE TRAIN ALL THE WAY TILL LAUNCH!!!

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#19  Edited By csl316

Oddly enough, I'm most excited about a potential Vita price drop. Thanks to PS+ I'll have like a dozen games ready to go.

YOU_DIED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By YOU_DIED

I was mildly interested until all the DRM bullshit came down the pipe

Avatar image for commandergermanshepard
CommanderGermanShepard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PS4 has to go in the other direction, rented games, offline friendly, PS+ games on demand, more powerful system. The could easily ignore the publisher pressure, EA will go wherever the user base is. Even if that means missing the first year of EA games, Sony has proven themselves for first party exclusive's this generation.

JZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hughesman: married, kids, moved 5 times? Vinny is that you?

shinjin977

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By shinjin977

The idea of "gen" gaming is wrong in the first place. I blame all console manufacturers for the shitty close platform they created. Of cause I have to give them credit for expending gaming as much as they have.

I think the current gaming culture is actually better than ever. The fan base have never been bigger. Kickstarter/crowd sourcing might be the answer to our anti-consumer's publishers problem (of cause that remain to be seen). I think if all you play are AAA games then this is the worst gaming climate in a while but the creativity and inspirations coming out of the indie/small dev team are amazing. Just lay off the big AAA games for a while check out some indie stuff, check out Tengami, Transistor, Dungeon Hearts. Save your 60 from your next AAA purchase and buy 4-6 indie games instead, they will blow you away.

Talking about indie, the scene here in japan is getting bigger so maybe we will see some interesting stuff this TGS.

Grixxel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Given the recent events all that really changed for me was that now I am just getting a PS4. Maybe a year or two after release.

hughesman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By hughesman

@jz: Ha :D No but I can relate.

redcream

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By redcream

I'm still excited. A slew of new games are coming out and no amount of DRM bullshit will change that.

jdh5153

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still excited, can't wait for E3 and the day they start accepting Xbox One pre-orders so I can put the money down and just have to count down the days until release day!

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

If gaming is a serious hobby and you're going to wait over a year for a $50 - $100 price cut to a new console which is going to be a major thing for the next 5 to 7 years, I don't know what to tell you. There's bound to be something you want to play on the system in its launch window.

I own a PC that's going to be more capable than the current gen consoles graphically (more of a "theoretical possibility" because developers can code specifically for the GPU in either next-gen Microsoft/Sony console), if not computationally (Intel still isn't pumping out 8 core processors besides on their server lines, but their per-core compute power is greater than an AMD processor), but I'm still excited for a new console generation, if only because I know Microsoft and Sony are going to once again forcefully snub the PC as a platform with their stupid "throw money at it!" solution to gobbling up exclusivity.

PillClinton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are you even talking about? I'm extremely excited for next gen, for the simple fact that PC games won't be held back by 8 year old hardware anymore.

isomeri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

I think that most people are still very excited for these new consoles. All this heated internet rhetoric just projects how enthused people are about the next generation and when emotions run high people say the stupidest things.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@jz: I can't remember the last time I bought a console at launch. I don't know if I ever have come to think of it.

It always takes a least a year after release to see how things are really gonna go and that goes double for this generation. The cynic in me can't help but think that both Sony and MS will slowly start implementing all their worst features well after they've nabbed all the early adopters.

Sergio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I'm still excited. While I think some of the Xbox One "controversies" are bad, most of them don't affect me. I'm not buying one for other reasons. I still plan to get a PS4 at launch.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By onarum

@jz said:

@oscar__explosion: Well this time it'll be easy. At launch the games aren't going to look much better and they will be available on current gen systems. It's when like mgs5 comes out, that It'll be tantalizing.

Have you checked the graphics on consoles lately? compare to their PC counterparts, that's the sort of difference there'll be on games at release, so yeah they WILL look and play much better.

For me it'll be easy waiting because I have a nice PC, not sure how much I'll be able to wait though, it's all about when that killer exclusive game I just cannot pass comes.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#34  Edited By pweidman

Seeing these new games at E3 will change all that with people in varying degrees of course. It's all about the games, and how innovative developers can get on the new hardware. That is what will drive the next-gen excitement. Almost here...hang in there. ;)

MocBucket62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 7

I'm still excited for the next generation. Granted I would rather get a gaming PC over the consoles, but I still want to give the first party companies a chance to sell me on the systems. Also, I wanna see new games and this year looks promising!

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

#36  Edited By Hailinel

Don't know what to make of the PS4, have been completely unsold on the Xbone, am happy to have have a Wii U that doesn't have such extensively ridiculous DRM bullshit.

DarkShaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Still super pumped for next gen.

thebunnyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I still haven't left the HYPE TRAIN!!! CHOOO CHOOO.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'm excited for the stupidity, the drama! Also everything's cross generation so there's no need to actually buy one for a while.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Subjugation

PC is always "next gen", so ... yeah. I get to see new improvements and developments all the time. Consoles are great for a specific market, but that just isn't me anymore. I don't have to deal with the uncertainty of new hardware launches like a new console. I just get to bask in the glow of our wondrous overlord Gaben.

No Caption Provided

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

Yea , I remember it pretty good cause IT'S RIGHT NOW !

Legion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm excited. But then I'm not your average conservative know-it-all douchbag gamer.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subjugation: Is it possible Gabe Newell's head weighs more than non carpenter Jesus?

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By penguindust

What are you even talking about? I'm extremely excited for next gen, for the simple fact that PC games won't be held back by 8 year old hardware anymore.

Well said. Yes, I am still excited for the games we will be playing in the coming months and years, but less so about the consoles right now. The whole gaming market has mostly consolidated and what's available on one platform is also on another. The lowest common architecture is the baseline. With stronger, faster, better consoles gaming on PC's will improve as well. That has me excited. Let's see what these high end PC's can do.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By colourful_hippie

I still am cuz PC won't be held back for a good while again.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Yah man! I still AM excited! If it's a nightmare then that is only because you have made a conscious decision to make it a nightmare for yourself.

New hardware, new games, new gimmicks - I'm still excited for it.

FourWude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By FourWude

Remember the titans?

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still am cuz PC won't be held back for a good while again.

Beat me to it

zeforgotten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By zeforgotten

I remember when I was excited for next gen.
Then the PS2 finally came out and it was pretty awesome